IGNORED

Girl kidnapped as a newborn found alive and well at 18

moodygirl86

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/grandmother-stolen-baby-kamiyah-mobley-9630375

How confusing must that be? She thought this woman was her mother and has now had to see her locked up. I feel so bad for her. I can't imagine how conflicting that is. I'm also glad for her natural parents that they got to reunite with their daughter, and vice versa. But I also hope the courts aren't too harsh on Gloria Williams. Yes, she was wrong to do what she did, but I hope they take into account that she'd just had a miscarriage at the time and how badly it must have fucked her up. I feel very very sorry for everyone involved.

I've always felt that has to be one of the hardest situations. How could you stop loving the person that raised you? At the same time, how would you look at them the same knowing they took you from a completely different life. I hope the courts aren't too harsh on her as well, the poor woman clearly was not mentally well.

From the articles, Kamiyah sounds like a lovely, compassionate young woman, and to be honest, if I was the judge, I'd factor that into any sentence I was to give Gloria, as she clearly did a good job of raising her. I'm not saying she should get off scot free of course, but apparently she could face life imprisonment if convicted. I don't think that's appropriate in these circumstances. She made a terrible mistake but she's not in the league of a rapist or a murderer. Even Kamiyah's natural family remarked on meeting her for the first time, how well brought up she was! When Gloria was arrested, Kamiyah told Gloria she was praying for her - in the true I-hope-you'll-be-OK sense - and, in my own agnostic way, that's how I feel about this situation too. I just hope everything turns out for the best for them all.

• 3 weeks later...

I was pretty disappointed that the gutter press kind of bum rushed her all at once. She should have had time to do therapy and come to terms with what this all means before the tabloids splashed her FB pics all over creation. And the bio-family could have waited, too. I know it was hard on them, but what about Alexis' needs?

(As for the kidnapper, I have zero sympathy. Lock her away for all the damage she did to these people's lives.)

There is zero excuse for what this woman did. She destroyed a family and took a little baby away from a world of possibilities. The fact that she apparently raised this girl well is irrelevant- heck, the kid is lucky to even be alive, given what we know about stranger kidnappings. I feel sorry for Alexis, but her abductor needs to be locked up, and no amount of "oh she had just suffered a miscarriage, she wasn't in her right mind, etc" can change that. You mean to say she wasn't in her right mind for 18 full years? At some point she had to have come to the realization that what she did was wrong and made the conscious choice to neither care nor do the right thing by returning the baby.

Millions of women have miscarriages and somehow manage to not take other people's children. There's no reason she couldn't have been one of them.

Archived