IGNORED

Good riddance! Eddie Long dies

Buzzard

Not really on topic, but I was just thinking of how Trump called out John Lewis for not improving life for blacks in his area. Yet, crickets in regards to the money hungry church leaders who don't improve their communities. Nope instead they get praise and get to put on the "prayer show" for his inauguration.

9 hours ago, Buzzard said:

http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2017/01/17/td-jakes-eddie-long.html

So, TD Jakes will take part in the funeral  circus and calls him a mighty man of valor.  What the ever loving fuck?  This will truly be a spectacle, wont it?  I wonder how much his parishioners will be expected to fork out to attend this funeral?  

I saw this earlier. I never really had an opinion on T.D. Jakes, but now he's officially an ass hat as far as I'm concerned. 

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/new-details-released-for-bishop-eddie-long-memorial-service/wK4jczYuILGTagdJwUEcOI/

New details have been released for the funeral services of Bishop Eddie L. Long, pastor of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in Lithonia.

Long, 63, an influential and controversial pastor died Sunday after battling an aggressive form of cancer. He had recently celebrated his 29th pastoral anniversary. At its height, New Birth had more than 25,000 members. It continued to have a global reach.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. Jan. 25 at New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Rd. in Lithonia.

Long will lie in-repose from 8 a.m. until the service begins.

Visitation will be held from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. Jan. 24, at the church, according to Gregory B. Levett & Sons Funeral Homes & Crematory, which is in charge of arrangements.

The family requests that any floral arrangements be in white or off-white.

Oh hey, yeah.  He should lie in repose like a world leader or someone of influence... definitely... and no mention of charitable donations in his memory.  Nope, its much more important that people donate floral arrangements (that help no one, much like Long) in a color scheme that will look best on television.

Eddie Long Dong, bishop my ass. I had no respect for him in life and none now.

When the scandal with the four young men broke, those who thought he should step down far away from the pulpit (like me) were criticized for being unforgiving and judgemental Christians. Huh? This man actively campaigned against gays while being one himself! Had he just owned it, no problem. But he actively sought to hurt and exclude people in the name of Christ. Then, he arrogantly refused to resign. Nope. Couldn't stand him.

Also, just like with Trump, Long just wasn't fit for duty. I cannot stand churchgoers who accept any old body as their leader. You put yourself out there then you need to meet some type of standard.

Folks like Long just bring reproach on the Church. Ugh. 

Can't wait to read a book about this. Did he confess to be bisexual? Well the reality of this situation is people believed he had time to repent from his sins, especially if he knew he was dying.

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

Can't wait to read a book about this. Did he confess to be bisexual? Well the reality of this situation is people believed he had time to repent from his sins, especially if he knew he was dying.

The sex scandal was years ago and his supporters never required him to repent.

On 1/20/2017 at 8:30 PM, SilverBeach said:

The sex scandal was years ago and his supporters never required him to repent.

Ha! Repent for what?  In his mind it never happened, he's a mighty man of god and satan was just attacking him!  He's as clean as the snow!

Its funny, the similarities between the followers of mega church "celebrity" pastors and our favorite fundies.  You truly have to put on blinders and check  your common sense at the door.

Don't forget that Long was also involved in a Ponzi scheme scandal.  Even though warned with explicit information that Ephren Taylor was enticing people to invest in non existent companies, Long endorsed him and allowed Taylor to hold information sessions at his church encouraging people to invest.  

Ephren Taylor was sentenced to 19 years in Federal prison (yeah!), and Long's parishioners sued Long and Taylor and won. 

4 hours ago, Howl said:

Ephren Taylor was sentenced to 19 years in Federal prison (yeah!), and Long's parishioners sued Long and Taylor and won. 

And yet they still gave him money and called him "bishop."

On January 17, 2017 at 4:59 PM, JesusPony said:

Bye!

Unfortunately, these scamming, megachurch preachers are a dime a dozen around here. Witness one Creflo Dollar.

I don't know anything about this Eddie Long character but i was once given a sermon ala  Creflo Dollar by a follower of his.  

She was my Uber driver and I was a captive audience.

I wonder if he ever got his 70 million dollar airplane. :P

It's funny how some people's last names really suit them.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/eddie-long-declared-person-unimpeachable-reputation-integrity-georgia-senate-173436/

What the ever loving hell???

Controversial Bishop Eddie Long of New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, who died earlier this month, has been declared "a person of magnanimous strengths with an unimpeachable reputation for integrity, intelligence, confidence, and kindness" in a resolution passed by the Georgia Senate on Tuesday.

There are currently 14k people streaming his funeral right now.  I dont get it!

@Buzzard if I wasn't busy obsessing/panicking about Trump, I might take a peek. But I think I'm already too close to a complete meltdown. 

http://www.myajc.com/news/local/new-birth-names-bishop-stephen-davis-succeed-eddie-long/UkhtegzAni3OvbQq4ivQlJ/

Looks like they named the new lottery winner  leader of the church.  Stephen A. Davis, "Bishop" and Long buddy since 2006 will take the lead.  I wonder how long it will take for him to get a fancy car, if it hasnt already happened. 

It appears he is equally qualified to lead this flock, especially considering that his doctorate in theology is from none other than the "new birth bible institute."  

His book has no reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/Years-Unprecedented-Peace-Favor-Abundance/dp/1943294356

Know what puts my tit in the wringer? If you are a Baptist, you CANNOT be a Bishop. Bishop is a title that means A VERY CERTAIN THING IN CHURCHES WITH A CLERICAL HIERARCHY. If you are a Baptist, by the basic definition of the word, your church does not recognize any authority higher than the local polity. Certain groups have Conferences or networks of churches who believe in a basic statement of doctrine, but Baptists do not have hierarchy.

You are just trying to be fancy to make up for the fact that you didn't go to seminary like the rest of the Pastors on the local faith-based charity board or whatever.

I cannot even.

44 minutes ago, Jencendiary said:

Know what puts my tit in the wringer? If you are a Baptist, you CANNOT be a Bishop. Bishop is a title that means A VERY CERTAIN THING IN CHURCHES WITH A CLERICAL HIERARCHY. If you are a Baptist, by the basic definition of the word, your church does not recognize any authority higher than the local polity. Certain groups have Conferences or networks of churches who believe in a basic statement of doctrine, but Baptists do not have hierarchy.

You are just trying to be fancy to make up for the fact that you didn't go to seminary like the rest of the Pastors on the local faith-based charity board or whatever.

I cannot even.

Which just goes to show that they dont even have a basic understanding of their own religion.  It really is amazing, how they consider themselves "celebrity" preachers and the like.  How is that a thing?

Without divulging too much about my past career, I have met T D Jakes and he is not exactly a man of valor so much as a man who is really, really into Louis Vuitton. 

Archived