IGNORED

Good riddance! Eddie Long dies

Buzzard

https://www.google.com/amp/heavy.com/news/2017/01/bishop-eddie-long-cause-of-death-dies-funeral-dead-wife-vanessa-photos-cancer-illness-age/amp/?client=safari

Where to begin with this guy?

He had himself wrapped in a Holocaust Torah in 2012

Paid off parishioners who accused him of sexual abuse...

https://www.google.com/amp/religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/26/bishop-eddie-long-settles-with-accusers/amp/?client=safari

Demanded a $10 million plane to fly around in, while driving a Bentley and living in a million dollar house... while many of his parishioners are from struggling homes...and lied about its purpose (the plane was not capable of carrying relief supplies)

Campaigned against gay marriage (while not doing anything with parishioners, clearly)...

Kept his illness a secret, but when asked about his weight loss attributed it to some scammy diet and not eating from a "slave menu."

He denied taking medication in AUGUST of this year, when he clearly knew his situation.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57b337c8e4b0c75f49d86081

So, we've lost a guy who lies, worships money, may or may not have molested minors while denying rights to consenting adults, disrespects the Torah, and did very little to help his community.  I'm sure there's quite a bit more.

I hope the sheeple that supported his ridiculous lifestyle find someone who actually is looking out for THEM instead of himself at whatever church they attend.

I just saw this on CNN.   Dead at 63. 

I'm fairly confident that he was molesting minors.  I just hope his passing brings some relief to his victims. When you have four kids come forward with compelling evidence, it's likely the tip of the iceberg.  Fortunately, his congregation thinned out considerably after the scandal.  I'd like to be a fly on the cloud as he's having a conversation with you-know-who. 

10 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Wow. The world is a better place and that's kind of an awful thing to say. 

I know! Normally I kind of feel bad when someone dies, but he managed to turn just about everything he did into a way to make a buck.  I have no doubt we'll hear that his final wish was for every parishioner to give money they don't have to his wife and let her keep the house, plane, and car.

1 minute ago, Howl said:

I just saw this on CNN.   Dead at 63. 

I'm fairly confident that he was molesting minors.  I just hope his passing brings some relief to his victims. When you have four kids come forward with compelling evidence, it's likely the tip of the iceberg.  Fortunately, his congregation thinned out considerably after the scandal.  I'd like to be a fly on the cloud as he's having a conversation with you-know-who. 

Just a theological aside: "There are no flies in Heaven. Nor mosquitoes, nor no-see-ums."

~~Book of Junebug, verses one & done 

5 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Thanks for reminding me of the Torah video, it's one of the most jaw-dropping things on the internet.

There's a thread on it here.  It was nothing short of disgusting.

One of my friends goes to Ralph Messer's "church" in Denver. He's the fool who crowned Eddie "King". She is mesmerized by his teachings. They make a mockery of Jewish traditions and holidays, like having dancers at their Yom Kippur services. 

From the photos I saw, it looked like full blown aids to me. 

24 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Just a theological aside: "There are no flies in Heaven. Nor mosquitoes, nor no-see-ums."

~~Book of Junebug, verses one & done 

I'll add no ticks as well. 

I wish I'd paid attention to this creep! He would have been a great addition to my celebrity deathpool picks. 

40 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I know! Normally I kind of feel bad when someone dies, but he managed to turn just about everything he did into a way to make a buck.  I have no doubt we'll hear that his final wish was for every parishioner to give money they don't have to his wife and let her keep the house, plane, and car.

Me, too, but NOPE. One less piece of shit molester in the world (among so much other bull shit he did and said). I always felt dirty just seeing his face on the Internet. He creeped me the fuck out. 

@Buzzard I'm 2 minutes into the video you posted, and just what the fuck is going on?? 

This is a good piece about how the homophobic messages promulgated by people like Long negatively impact black LGBT youth:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2017/01/15/death-of-bishop-eddie-long.amp.html?client=ms-android-verizon

I especially didn't like how Long tried to present himself as MLK 2.0. King preached against the triple evils of racism, capitalism, and militarism, whereas Long preached the gospel of money, money, and more money. One of these is clearly not like the other.

1 hour ago, iweartanktops said:

Me, too, but NOPE. One less piece of shit molester in the world (among so much other bull shit he did and said). I always felt dirty just seeing his face on the Internet. He creeped me the fuck out. 

@Buzzard I'm 2 minutes into the video you posted, and just what the fuck is going on?? 

The original thread is here.  It's probably one of the most disgusting examples of disrespect and appropriation I've ever seen.  You do not touch the Torah with your hands.  You do not wear a Torah.  You do not even undress it in this manner.

If I believed in God smiting people, he would be the perfect example of deserving it.  At the end of the video Messer recites the prayer "The Lord bless you and keep you..." Its like God said "nope!" 

25 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The original thread is here.  It's probably one of the most disgusting examples of disrespect and appropriation I've ever seen.  You do not touch the Torah with your hands.  You do not wear a Torah.  You do not even undress it in this manner.

If I believed in God smiting people, he would be the perfect example of deserving it.  At the end of the video Messer recites the prayer "The Lord bless you and keep you..." Its like God said "nope!" 

Thanks for the link. I'm working my way through it. 

I'm still so disturbed by that video. I don't even know if I believe in hell, but I feel like I'm going just for watching that crazy garbage. I can't stop thinking about it. 

My brother is a pastor, and although I don't share all of his beliefs, he is my hero, and has more integrity than anyone I know. I sent him the link. I'm dying to get his response. 

3 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Thanks for reminding me of the Torah video, it's one of the most jaw-dropping things on the internet.

The only thing that is even more jaw-dropping, imho, is the "coronation" of Sun Myung Moon and his wife as king and queen of America. And it took place in a Senate office building!

http://www.salon.com/2004/06/21/moon_7/

However, for religious offensiveness, getting wrapped in a Torah scroll, touching a Torah scroll, referring to the Torah scroll the way Ralph Messer did, that tops Moon's shenanigans, which were primarily political.

Oh, and the idea that the average Jew doesn't get close to a Torah scroll--one of my dearest friends is a secular Jew, he'd call himself an atheist, but he goes to shul (Reconstructionist) on Simchat Torah every year and dances with the Torah scroll. As does everyone else in the shul. So much for that rot from Messer.

I've heard of Auschwitz Birkenau,  but never Auschwitz Birkendahl????

20 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/men-who-sued-eddie-long-for-sexual-misconduct-address-bishop-death/A1E6CzW4Ehd1RkJsVsKGsM/

His victims issued a statement- that there is no statement but they're writing a book.

This is the most info about the molestations I've seen printed, so I'm guessing there's more to come.

I thought the settlement said that the accusers weren't allowed to talk about the case. Is this stipulation voided now that Long is dead?

3 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I've heard of Auschwitz Birkenau,  but never Auschwitz Birkendahl????

I thought the same thing. It's very early here, thought I had misheard and started again at the beginning. I couldn't watch the whole video , too sickening.

How can people NOT see through the lunacy is beyond me.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook it's a sad day Eddie passed. This woman is a top notch attorney - I just don't get it.

I know very little about Judaism and even less about Eddie Long. But what the hell is that video? It screams appropriation and is all around weird. Why do you need a sacred Torah to appoint someone in a church? I'm sure they mishandled it.

Also, did that man refer to the covering as foreskin? That's offensive, patriarchal and just fucking weird all at once. And why is he referring o himself as a Jew when he's obviously a Christian? 

Going to jump into the Eddie Long rabbit hole. I'm already disturbed by the little I've read. But the rescue ferrets on standby please!

16 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I thought the settlement said that the accusers weren't allowed to talk about the case. Is this stipulation voided now that Long is dead?

Maybe they're skipping over the misdeeds and focusing on other aspects.  The article stated, " The book will focus on their lives after breaking ties with the controversial bishop, who consistently denied the allegations against him." Sounds like they're trying to work with a loophole.

i live in the area where MANY people i know went to his church. Tomorrow is gonna be hard because many of my coworkers also go to his church...i will be a caring coworker and not mention the fact that he was a hypocritical asshole. Ive seen many a facebook fight from someone saying they saw him being a shit person like just driving by his parishioners waiting at the bus stop as he drove away in his Bentley or some other awful thing  or the fact that we all watched the news when the sex abuse scandal came out. I feel bad for his family that they lost someone they loved but he was a shit dude.

Bye!

Unfortunately, these scamming, megachurch preachers are a dime a dozen around here. Witness one Creflo Dollar.

Archived