IGNORED

Seewalds 14- Baby can I hold you tonight?

samurai_sarah

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Perhaps if Jessa is bothered enough by the comments about the name "Spurgeon", she'll give pause and insist on giving her future kids more traditional names.

she wants to be asked about the name or tell why they chose the name.  She said it herself it's all about the legacy of the original one - remember them inspiring others is how they live their lives - no matter how screwed up they are. 

she may drop the mic - but she wants it this way 

she thinks she is brilliant yet she is not 

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎01‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:18 PM, marmalade said:

Jessa defended the Name, noting that Spurgeon was an 18th century preacher. 

Dumbass, he was around in the 19th century. Does she even know anything about the guy aside from what Ben's told her?

I think it's much more likely that her lack of anything even somewhat resembling an education led her to believe that "18th century" referred to the 1800s.

On 15.1.2017 at 8:52 AM, feministxtian said:

I STILL hate shoes. Having to wear actual shoes is a fate worse than death for me. I will happily wear sandals and flip flops (the good ones, not the cheap-ass rubber ones) if I have to. I drive barefoot most of the time, don't wear shoes in the house and when I was working, was known for kicking off my shoes under my desk.

I hate shoes too. I take my shoes off and forget where i left them. 

The names Spurgeon and Israel, the more i read them, the more i get used to them. But they are still weird.

4 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

I think it's much more likely that her lack of anything even somewhat resembling an education led her to believe that "18th century" referred to the 1800s.

This, I remember when I figured that out, 5th grade, we did a history report and I, and several other students, made the same mistake. We were 10/11 it was expected. 

9 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I hate shoes too. I take my shoes off and forget where i left them. 

The names Spurgeon and Israel, the more i read them, the more i get used to them. But they are still weird.

Are you my daughter? I had to yell at her this morning not to go out in the INCH OF ICE we had outside, in her damn flip flops. She hates shoes, I'm not much better, I'm my father's daughter after all but I do have enough sense to put on real foot where when it is snowing or freezing cold, my father, brother and daughter don't but I do. 

20 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I stand by my theory that Jessa can't stand the name Spurgeon and resents her headship for forcing the choice. 

I would be so pissed off if after delivering that humongus baby, and bleeding out enough to require a blood transfusion, my barely 20 YO husband decided that I had to give our baby some stupid name. NFW.

Spurgeon is growing on me. I still think it's a horrible name to give a child, just as Israel is a horrible name to give a child. However, I am sort of in the category of 'Oh Spurgeon is old news' and I'm quite excited to see what the next name will be. 

Re: shoes and clothes - when I was born, my grandma brought a pair of booties for me to wear... and they didn't fit, because my feet were too round. "Flintstone feet" ... lol

I don't recall really having issues with wearing shoes later on, but I DO remember that any time I went swimming in the kiddy pool, I'd take off my swimsuit and just run around in my diaper because I couldn't handle being in wet clothes and didn't get (or like) the concept. lmao

4 hours ago, WhyNotJulie said:

Yeah... :\ It's sad because I remember this being confusing for me when I was, like, 9... not 24 and a mother (and I'm 22 now). It's sad just how little opportunity they've been given to really learn anything that isn't drenched in Gothardism... their intellectual curiosity was likely beaten out of them, and I honestly believe most of these kids are afraid to learn about anything that's not SOTDRT-approved for fear of being tainted by "worldly" views. They didn't get indoctrinated with "character" lessons for nothing... :\

52 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I stand by my theory that Jessa can't stand the name Spurgeon and resents her headship for forcing the choice. 

SAAAAAME. I think she's trying to let the name grow on her, but I definitely don't think for a second that this was her pick. I mean, at the end of the day, Ben clearly approved it even if it somehow wasn't his idea (lol). Jessa's got very little leeway for saying this is a bullshit name, especially when they've named him after a shitty "18th century" preacher... can you even imagine the guilt tripping that would occur if she said she didn't like the name Spurgeon, given the reasoning behind it? 

I do believe she's working hard to convince herself that it's a good name and suits her son nicely, not only because of her religious convictions, but because of the fact that she'll likely have to do the most explaining to Spurgeon about why he was cursed with such a terrible first name. I don't forsee Ben baring the brunt of that responsibility; he sure isn't now, which I believe is why we're only seeing Jessa publicly defend the name. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I would be so pissed off if after delivering that humongus baby, and bleeding out enough to require a blood transfusion, my barely 20 YO husband decided that I had to give our baby some stupid name. NFW.

I remember in that awkward name announcement video Ben says "Oh I didn't know we were doing it yet" so it seems like it was being debated up to the last second lol. 

Tbh I prefer an offbeat first name with a normal middle name he can go by later to the endless string of bible names my parents gave all of us……until the last blessing which came after they'd left religion, so she got the most common name amongst Hollywood starlets lol. I def don't mind all bible names, but when all your kids have one and they are super obvious it gets to be too much. 

They said they'd agreed on Spurgeon, but were still working on the middle name. These are the Duggars, so who real!y knows?

3 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I don't care for either name (which is fine since they're not my kids), but at least Israel will be able to go by Iz or Izzie later in life.  Can't say the same for Spurgie.

I love the name Isreal, phonetically. Lots of vowels, the ea sound in the middle, soft consonants- it sounds almost Elvish to me. However, their reason for picking the name just rubs me the wrong way. Didn't Jill wear a Star of David necklace? I dunno, the way that family treats the Jewish people/faith is both derisive and fetishy. It's kind of appropriative. Makes me feel icky.

Let's face it Spurgeon is so adorable he could be named gluten and he'd be cute.  At least that is until they start "training" him to think and act like the males in that cult.  For now I'll enjoy his adorable face and eyelashes.  

On a side note,  I hate socks!  I'm ok when I have shoes on but they come off as soon as the shoes do.  The thought of putting them on makes my palms sweat ugh.  I could never walk around in socks and sure as hell never sleep in them no matter how cold.  My foot will look like the dude on Mr. Deeds before I wear just socks!

I don`t understand the hatred towards Israel as a name, it`s very common here in Latin America and I think is a beautiful name. Shoot me lol

Spurgeon is a hideous name, well at least he`s adorbs.

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I love the name Isreal, phonetically. Lots of vowels, the ea sound in the middle, soft consonants- it sounds almost Elvish to me. However, their reason for picking the name just rubs me the wrong way. Didn't Jill wear a Star of David necklace? I dunno, the way that family treats the Jewish people/faith is both derisive and fetishy. It's kind of appropriative. Makes me feel icky.

As a Jew their appropriativor behavior had made me feel icky and angry for years.

1 hour ago, HermioneSparrow said:

I don`t understand the hatred towards Israel as a name, it`s very common here in Latin America and I think is a beautiful name. Shoot me lol

Spurgeon is a hideous name, well at least he`s adorbs.

Really? That's interesting. In the US, it's pretty unusual and would definitely get some side-eye from non-fundies. I'm not overly-familiar with American Jewish culture, so I can't say if it would be unusual for them.

8 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I thought when Bin's sister announced the birth she said the name was Gabriel. I suspect they were scrambling until TLC said out of exasperation to choose something that wasn't Gabriel. I think they were strongly directed to choose a name that was over the top. Most people's first thoughts are superficial so it's a PR benefit to the Duggars for people to associate them having a kid/grandkid with a hideous name than all the more troublesome things. 

"The Duggars? Aren't they those crazies who named a kid Spurgeon?"

vs

"The Duggars? Aren't those the crazies who have that son who molested a bunch of girls and then the parents basically said it was okay?"

Israel on a fundie child is a political statement. It's basically saying "Thank you followers of Judiasm for protecting where Jesus was born. We hope you all find Jesus one day because otherwise you're going to burn in Hell. So please find Jesus. Thank you."

At least Spurgeon will be able to find some way to salvage a badass Christian rapper name from the mess. Poor Israel will be like Iz Izzy D'Ard or something super lame. 

Jessa and Ben obviously wanted a name that to them seemed unique and intellectual. Never mind that it crossed the line to completely ridiculous. Their next child's name will be similarly ridiculous I'm sure . I don't mind Israel.

On 14/01/2017 at 10:32 PM, BadMammaJana said:

My optometrist takes part in this infant check up program called InfantSee. It's free for toddlers/infants under 12mos old, and its just one on those appointments where they mostly just get the kids used to being checked. Anyway, the optometrist told us that shoes should not be worn too much for infants because it prevents them from moving their toes and feet as much, and when that happens you prevent the brain being challenged (probably a better word for this) and when they're that young, you want as much activity going on as possible because it grows so fast so you want to challenge it in as many ways as possible.

If Spurgeon (ugh, such a terrible name) was just out for a grocery run, I personally don't see the need for shoes. Most people don't agree, but, to each their own. I already had my daughter barefoot most the time because I had so much anxiety that I barely went out with her other than grocery trips or doctor visits. Her feet were always covered from the onesies she wore when we did go out, and when we finally started dressing her in 2 piece outfits, it was warm enough for just socks, and those suckers ALWAYS fell off so she would be barefoot most the time. But she was either in her carseat with a light blanket covering her or bundled in a blanket because my family thinks babies are always freezing, so shoes weren't a priority for us. Also, baby shoes are ridiculously expensive and they grow out of them so quickly! We waited to buy them only when she started cruising/walking. Plus, some kids just don't like shoes and always manage to take them off.

I was that asshole kid, always kicked my baby shoes into oncoming traffic according to my mother. By the time my little brother came along she'd learned not to bother with more than just socks (and a blankie of course).:pb_lol:

As long as baby is happy and not freezing is what should matter right....

Let kids be kids, I see no reason for kids under 3 to be forced into shoes especially when they're sitting in a cart. I may not agree with Jessa on a lot, but I can't fault her there.

My daughter is 2 & VERY spirited. She took her rain boots off in the car and by the time we got to safeway I just did not want to fight her anymore. Stuck her in a cart with her heavy winter coat and pants and socks on. by the time I get to produce her jacket is off, both socks are off and I'm battling her tooth and nail to leave her dang shirt on, then out of left field this BITCH comes out of god knows where and goes "OMG you poor baby! you must be freezing! your mommy really should put some clothes on you!" My daughter looks her square in the face. screams "NO, NAKED TIME" and whips her shirt off right there in the produce section. I looked at the lady and said "i guess she's not cold" and beelined for the bathrooms to wrangle clothes back onto her lol

9 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Jesus (Spanish pronunciation) is a common name in Latin America (or in parts of it, idk) too. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be utterly ridiculous to name your Anglo kid Jesus (English pronunciation). ;)

Not to mention their weird-ass fetishization and appropriation of Judaism (while also believing that all Jews go to hell), which makes naming their kid Israel a very obvious political statement.

7 hours ago, princessmahina said:

Really? That's interesting. In the US, it's pretty unusual and would definitely get some side-eye from non-fundies. I'm not overly-familiar with American Jewish culture, so I can't say if it would be unusual for them.

If I met someone named Israel, I'd assume they were Latino (since I actually do know a lot of Latinos named Israel), or a much more conservative/religious Jew, though even then, Jewish parents tend to go for pretty classic Biblical names (Sarah, Jacob, Isaac, Rebecca/Rivkah, Adam, Daniel, Hannah, Rachel). Though Irving Berlin's birth name was Israel Baline, so it's not unheard of among American Jews.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived