IGNORED

Scamaritan

DomWackTroll

6 hours ago, tankgirl said:

So if the ACA is pulled, doesn't this mean, a higher chance Samaritan and the like are set to tank? I mean if these people aren't worried about fines, why bother?

Hopefully!!!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Yet they don't cover any treatment for someone who is suicidal. 

Why would you want to save such "bad apples", in that way you get rid of them without effort. *cynical sarcasm

5 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Well, the pro-life movement in general is all about the fetus. Little fucks are given once you are born. With Scamaritan, even less fucks are given for the babies who grow up to have a mental illness.  

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Well, the pro-life movement in general is all about the fetus. Little fucks are given once you are born. With Scamaritan, even less fucks are given for the babies who grow up to have a mental illness.  

So right, so true and so sad.

And once again I find myself in a state of awe that there are people out there that read the same book and can really draw this out of the gospel. I'm Christian, my faith is very important to me and I read in the bible daily. I study theology and history to become a teacher and I oppose to 99% of their definitions of what is Christian or Unchristian.

To me they are not acting according to the gospel at all.

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

And once again I find myself in a state of awe that there are people out there that read the same book and can really draw this out of the gospel

I'm still in awe that they managed to miss the entire point of the Good Samaritan story! How do you not grasp that point?! The Samaritan didn't stop and ask "Do you attend a tabernacle? Can I have the name of your priest to confirm you attend weekly? Have you drank anything recently? What about smoking? Have you engaged in any acts of sexual immorality? Are any of these injuries pre-existing?"  No, he just helped the guy because you are supposed to treat everyone as if they are your neighbor. 

10 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Unless they're involuntarily committed, apparently.

Hospitalization with no follow-up treatment is a recipe for disaster.

I looked though the guidelines of Scamaritan and Christian Healthcare Ministries, because apparently I have too much time on my hands. An interesting thing I found was that while Scamaritan says they'll never require members to apply for Medicaid because it goes against their beliefs (still have to use Medicare, Worker's Comp, etc, though if eligible), CHM says members must first use any other funding they qualify for, including Medicaid. So what is even their purpose then, if not to keep the evil government out of things?

Scamaritan covers water (i.e. homeopathy) while CHM does not.

Scamaritan does not cover treatment for ectopic pregnancy unless the embryo is already dead, so if you were thinking about remedying a tubal pregnancy before it inevitably ruptures and becomes a life-threatening medical emergency, you can go fuck yourself, babykiller. They specifically say that the life of the mother is not a consideration. Nice!

Neither group covers infertility treatments of course, but CHM doesn't even cover a pregnancy resulting from infertility treatments.

Both exclude maternity care for unwed mothers, but Scamaritan doesn't specifically say so, they just say they don't cover anything resulting from violating their code of conduct, which includes not boning anyone except your opposite sex spouse. CHM takes it further and pretends they refuse to help you out of Christian love (this might be the bitchiest fake-nice thing I've ever read):unwed.png

If you, as a Scamaritan member, contract HIV "innocently", I hope you can prove it, because if not, you're SOL. The examples they give of "innocent" contraction are via a blood transfusion or medical procedure. No idea if you're considered guilty if you contract it via rape or your spouse's cheating, even in the unlikely event that you were able to prove that's how you got it.  But I guess if you ever find yourself in that horrible position, you can find out!

So, I hope this information will be helpful to us all as we make the difficult decision of which of these awesome organizations to join.

@Coy Koi wow. Not covering a tubal pregnancy?! I know there have been a few very rare instances where an ectopic pregnancy survived, but what the heck? It sounds like even if the tube ruptures they won't cover care, because some times even then the sac. Will be intact, any care done is for the health of the mother!

Or the pregnancy of an unwed mother? I guess in many cases (teen pregnancy) medicaid would be an option. 

"Too bad, honey, you should've kept your legs closed.  Now run along to the nearest CPC, give your baby to a nice Christian couple, and don't have teh secks again until the preacher says "I now pronounce you man and wife."

16 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

@Coy Koi wow. Not covering a tubal pregnancy?! I know there have been a few very rare instances where an ectopic pregnancy survived, but what the heck? It sounds like even if the tube ruptures they won't cover care, because some times even then the sac. Will be intact, any care done is for the health of the mother!

Yeah, an ectopic pregnancy that implants in the abdomen can very, very rarely result in a healthy baby and mom, but most ectopic pregnancies are in the fallopian tube and I think it's completely impossible for the embryo to survive that.

I suppose you're right that even if the tube does rupture, they still might not cover it! Although, oddly, the wording says that they won't cover it unless "the member states they believed the child was not alive before the procedure". I don't get that. Believed that based on what? Is it meant as a possible loophole because they don't REALLY expect women to risk their life and health for an embryo that absolutely cannot survive?

On 1/20/2017 at 10:22 PM, Rachel333 said:

So inpatient psych treatment can be covered if you're involuntarily committed, but not if you sign yourself in? Weird, usually it's preferable not to get involuntarily committed but I guess if you had Samaritan then it would be better to let yourself be involuntarily committed.

I'm curious what a chemical imbalance demonstrable through lab tests would consist of.

One more example of how nothing is covered until it morphs into its most dangerous and expensive iteration. Basic outpatient therapy and possibly psychiatric drugs could really benefit people who are cognizant enough to realize that they have a problem. By waiting for them to be involuntarily committed, you can be almost positive that they have done something to harm themselves or others. Plus 24/7 inpatient psych care can cost thousands of dollars per day.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:48 AM, tankgirl said:

So if the ACA is pulled, doesn't this mean, a higher chance Samaritan and the like are set to tank? I mean if these people aren't worried about fines, why bother?

I doubt it. These programs existed well before the ACA, and the fact that they are exempt from penalties is just an add-on benefit. Many of these families have such little income compared to family size that they could probably get an ACA-approved policy for less and get better coverage from it, but their dubious morality is more important.

They say they cover mental health care if you're involuntarily committed, but they also say they only cover mental health if it's related to a demonstrable lab-provable problem. That means they only cover it if you're hospitalized for something they can prove is not "all in your head." Basically no psychiatric care at all, even inpatient care.

• 5 months later...

Sadly, the judgement and victim blaming are why so many rapes go unreported. Lack of any form of treatment after such an assault can ruin lives. Having to relive what happened to you in order to get help paying for medical care? Horrific. I hate the American medical insurance industry but Scamartian is worse.

A victim should not have to be required to make details public to get care. Care first, let's figure the rest out later. In private.

5 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

A victim should not have to be required to make details public to get care. Care first, let's figure the rest out later. In private.

Just about everywhere, Rape exams are free.  Through the YWCA and a SANE (Nurse Examiner) where there are antibiotics, sympathy and counseling.   there is no need to go to doctor nosey for that or tell Scamaritan about this.  Heatbreaking that she did not know this.

That is incredibly sad.  I wish that young woman had known that she had other healthcare options instead of Scamaritan. 

There is also the Federal Sexual Assault Survivors Bill of Rights signed by Obama last year.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_Assault_Survivors'_Rights_Act 

Hope the present administration doesn't try to roll it back. :(

Just about everywhere, Rape exams are free.  Through the YWCA and a SANE (Nurse Examiner) where there are antibiotics, sympathy and counseling.   there is no need to go to doctor nosey for that or tell Scamaritan about this.  Heatbreaking that she did not know this.

It seems to be a Fundie thing to limit health info as much as possible and especially when it comes to sex. You're not supposed to be having sex, so how could you get raped? We were as Fundie as you can get in the pcusa growing up, and I didn't know about these options when I was assaulted. I eventually said something to my PCP, but it took about a year. I've found that's typical among my friends, too.

Great ending: 

Because health care shouldn’t be political, or religious. It shouldn't be about who deserves it and who doesn't.

It should just be.

@katilac i just posted that on my facebook!

I also find it sad that the mom was/is a teacher and she doesn't have health care. It is normal (sad but normal) that retail jobs have little to no health care but it isn't normal for a job that requires a college degree not to have affirdable health care. :( (now that I think about I wonder if she taught at a Christian or charter school.  They often have shitty insurance.)

I'm still so angry about this one. I'm picturing the participants telling her that "No good woman would put herself in a situation where she could be raped." 

What were you wearing?  Were you flirting? What do you expect when you dress/act that way? :censor2:

Archived