IGNORED

Anyobe have a dog with hip dyplasia?

DaniLouisiana

My dog, Sammy,  has hip dysplasia which has gotten worse over this winter (and my son leaving him out in the rain overnight-grrr!). I give him a doggie aspirin every day but worry about his stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions besides Rimadyl? I'd really like to avoid it as long as possible as Sammy is only 6 yrs old.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.  My Miss P had dysplasia and arthritis in one hip probably caused by an injury as a puppy.  Greyhounds "never" have hip dysplasia.  Or so they said.

Weight management, careful exercise, cushy beds, and keeping them warm are all important.  Keep him indoors unless out for potty or exercise.  Rimadyl is great for pain but watch his blood work on Rimadyl.

You should talk to your vet about injectables and surgical options, especially as your dog is so young.  You can also try acupuncture, that helped Miss P.  

Miss P also had some free cold laser treatment - she volunteered to be a test subject.  I honestly didn't notice any improvement so don't recommend it but she enjoyed the attention.

On 1/13/2017 at 3:46 AM, DaniLouisiana said:

My dog, Sammy,  has hip dysplasia which has gotten worse over this winter (and my son leaving him out in the rain overnight-grrr!). I give him a doggie aspirin every day but worry about his stomach. Does anyone have any suggestions besides Rimadyl? I'd really like to avoid it as long as possible as Sammy is only 6 yrs old.

I don't know your situation, but there is a vet in my region who does stem cell therapy. It's not cheap, but it can help. Obviously, there are no guarantees. I know two people who have taken their dogs to have it done. One said it was like a miracle. The other said there was improvement, but the dog still showed some pain afterwards.

Edited to add: I second @Palimpsest about acupuncture. It can make a difference. I'm speaking from personal experience, as well as experiences with my dogs.

Thanks @GreyhoundFan, I'll talk to my vet about acupuncture- I really trust her as I used to work for her. I know she does it in her practice and she really loves Sammy-he's the only Keeshond in the practice so he gets extra loves and kisses any time he comes in.

@Palimpsest, thanks! Weight management not so much of issue (even though its "supposed" to be with Keeshondin) he's a picky eater. My son is still in the doghouse for leaving Sammy outside! He has a dog cave with a nice padded rug-he doesn't like beds, they're too hot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2017 at 1:36 AM, DaniLouisiana said:

Thanks @GreyhoundFan, I'll talk to my vet about acupuncture- I really trust her as I used to work for her. I know she does it in her practice and she really loves Sammy-he's the only Keeshond in the practice so he gets extra loves and kisses any time he comes in.

@Palimpsest, thanks! Weight management not so much of issue (even though its "supposed" to be with Keeshondin) he's a picky eater. My son is still in the doghouse for leaving Sammy outside! He has a dog cave with a nice padded rug-he doesn't like beds, they're too hot.

How is Sammy doing? I have a soft spot for pups with that name -- the pup in my avatar is also named Sammy.

@GreyhoundFan, he's doing much better, thank you! We have a little electric fireplace in the room we spend most of our time in so he likes to be in front of it on his blanket. DD is spending weekends with us now and she massages and brushes him, which he loves. He forsook me last night to sleep with Sissy!

Archived