IGNORED

Counting On Season Three

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

This probably comes across as BEC, but I thought Jill looked very frumpy walking through the airport with a floor length skirt. It also didn't seem safe when you're negotiating escalators, luggage and a baby. OK, I'm done.

That's not BEC, it's the truth! She could have gotten hurt or been very unmodest in the airport. Escalators ripping skirts off, ohhh my! 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

What the HECK?  These hillbilly girls don't even understand the need to wear proper shoes to shop in a proper wedding salon.
Oh. My. Freaking. Gosh.

I saw the dreaded flip flops of shame on Jill and possibly Jessa?  Jeremy's mother must be absolutely horrified!!  (ETA:  Jessa's very, very casual sandals at least have a back strap on them.)

Ever watch Yes to The Dress?    You'll see flip flops and sandals.    SMH

You'd think that if you have an appointment to go bridal dress shopping you'd have a proper bra, undies (Spanx if you're going to want/need one) and shoes.   

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

And TLC is obviously owned and operated by an far right wing conservative christian, that is the only real explanation for why the Duggar's are still on, unless they like us are waiting for one of those kids to jump on the 1st stripper pole bus out of town and are waiting for the big pay day?

I've suspected this for a long time. They seem to work with largely religious groups and seem to promote more conservative ideals. Whoever runs TLC must be the president of Discovery Television, right? Doing a quick google search it looks like TLC has changed hands at least 3 times in the last 5 years, and all of the recent presidents have been female. Can't find too much else about them though. :think:

I don't see the problem with wearing flip flops to the bridal store. Yes, I would bring the shoes I intend to wear with the dress, or shoes of a similar height, to try on dresses. This is necessary to make alterations.  I wouldn't wear my heels to the store. Who wants to spend all days in heels? Maybe because I am from California but I don't have a problem wearing flip flops into a bridal store.  I wouldn't wear them to a fancy dinner or hiking but I don't understand the flip flop hate. I always wear shoes that are easy to take off when trying on clothes and I do not put my bare feet on someone else's floor. My foot goes into the dress and right on top of the flip flop. 

17 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Ever watch Yes to The Dress?    You'll see flip flops and sandals.    SMH

You'd think that if you have an appointment to go bridal dress shopping you'd have a proper bra, undies (Spanx if you're going to want/need one) and shoes.   

I had a surprise fitting at BHLDN (went to try on the dresses you didn't need a fitting for since they kept them in all sizes and a friend got me in on the tail end of a fitting that ended early to try on one dress) and I was wearing a thong. As soon as we walked into the fitting room I was like "I'm so sorry. I didn't know I was going to be trying on dresses with an attendant, so my underwear choice isn't exactly the best." And she was like "you'd be surprised how many women sign up for appointments, and despite being told to wear full coverage underwear show up completely commando."

I was shocked. I mean, I didn't even look at signing up for a fitting, but I know my friend was put on a 4 week waiting list at some place she went to. It baffles me that someone can show up unprepared to something they sign paperwork for a month in advance.

5 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Did anyone else think all 3 wedding dresses looked the same?  I honestly thought dress #1 was the one she ended up in... and then comes #2 which, what, had more lace on the bodice?  But it was pretty subtle.  And then #3 had maybe a slightly different border on the train?  I'd have to see them side-by-side to see any difference.

I thought they all looked the same too. Very boring to watch, obviously.

I am too lazy to go back and find the original post but someone mentioned how it was bad they wore flipflops to a bridal shop? Does it matter what shoes a person wears? I only went to David's Bridal, not a fancy shop, so maybe that makes a difference. But I am sure I wore tennis shoes to the shop. And then walked around in socks while trying dresses on. Oh the horror of it all!!!

1 hour ago, IreneIssh said:

I've suspected this for a long time. They seem to work with largely religious groups and seem to promote more conservative ideals. Whoever runs TLC must be the president of Discovery Television, right? 

No.  Discovery Communications owns TLC and no doubt controls who is running TLC.  Discovery Communications is a publicly held corporation with according to Wikipedia the largest shareholder being a Jewish family. 

I think TLC and Discovery use Counting On as a sort of loss leader.   They can give up advertising revenue for a show because they will get viewers for their other shows.   

Their type of programming is not geared for highly informed viewers, so people that will tune in for Counting On will stay with them for the Putnams with more paid advertising.    

Thanks to Free Jinger for letting people lurk and read!  I never watched the show, and found the site while following the Josh molestation story.

15 hours ago, sndral said:

They're saving that for a future episode - along w/ his visit to the doctor. So I expect we'll be seeing the running/puking 'tease' for a couple more episodes plus the actual episode were it's part of the storyline before we learn what the problem is.

If things have gotten to the point where they're using a guy vomiting as a teaser, then what's next?

Oh yeah...the Putmans.

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

I thought they all looked the same too. Very boring to watch, obviously.

I thought they were the same. If you had to ask me which dress was Jinger's, I would have picked any of them. Very, very boring. 

Setting aside the specious nature of the term "designer," I am fully into the American Girl Doll wedding dress idea. Medium brown long curly hair, hazel eyes, squarish face, etc. I always wished we had the money to get some for our daughters.  We would pour over those catalogs back in the late 90s.

So my thought was that when the "designer" is told the woman's style, she has a few similar ones mocked up with interchangeable parts, and they get to mixing and matching. It's really pretty cool if they could just be honest about it, and better than just slogging through the racks.

Also, they were all different from each other, it's just that they all had a similar profile; I guess the one Jinger said she preferred in the beginning.

I kinda like Diana Vuolo, insofaras she's presented to me onscreen. Mostly I just turn it on and listen while I do other stuff, then rewind occasionally for bits I might want to see. I didn't watch the original show much because I couldn't bear Jim, Michelle, or Josh. I have faint future hopes for Jeremiah.

One other thought; when Michelle spoke during the painting segment, her voice was low and scratchy. I found that interesting and infinitely more tolerable than the baby whisper.

16 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

One other thought; when Michelle spoke during the painting segment, her voice was low and scratchy. I found that interesting and infinitely more tolerable than the baby whisper.

You could also hear here laughing with Jinger while they were painting and it was a very spontaneous sounding laugh in a natural voice tone. 

1 minute ago, calimojo said:

You could also hear here laughing with Jinger while they were painting and it was a very spontaneous sounding laugh in a natural voice tone. 

We'll never know, but I wonder what she's really like inside her actual possibly authentic self, especially when hubs is not around. I guess maybe I can accept awful a little bit more when there's some authenticity behind it. ;-)

And when Derick was joking about wanting to paint Jinger and Jeremy, it was a fun light bit of sarcasm. It must be exhausting being these people, and most of them, of course, don't realize it. Though maybe he does...

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

We'll never know, but I wonder what she's really like inside her actual possibly authentic self, especially when hubs is not around. I guess maybe I can accept awful a little bit more when there's some authenticity behind it. ;-)

And when Derick was joking about wanting to paint Jinger and Jeremy, it was a fun light bit of sarcasm. It must be exhausting being these people, and most of them, of course, don't realize it. Though maybe he does...

and the fact that they always have to be together probably isn't all that great all the time 

Had Michelle not gone fundy, she probably would have been a fun and engaging person.

I think JB was always going to be a dud.

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Had Michelle not gone fundy, she probably would have been a fun and engaging person.

I wonder if she had not gone fundy would she had only a few kids and maybe worked. 

14 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I laughed out lout at your last sentence. 

Yes, I think Michelle might have been fun.  Other than blocking out the knees, I was pretty impressed with her water skiing ability and skating.  She clearly has some athletic ability.  And I can imagine her being a perky and bubbly young woman. 

Her religious conversion and baby addiction did her no favors.  Not that I regret the living children that she has of course, but I do think that even with all of her delegation to the Sister moms, and such, that her life has probably not been very easy.  Years of morning sickness, Having to  sleep with JB, and her limited intellectual abilities that led her down the path to very misguided beliefs about Gays, Trans, etc among other things. 

Had she married a more normal guy, I could see Michelle being more of a go with the flow kind of person and not overly moralistic about how others live their life. 

But, I think now, that Michelle may be more entrenched in their belief system than JB is.  JB saw opportunity in pursuing Gothardism.  He saw the chance to go from dud to stud.  He could see that he could elevate himself in that odd group.  And he was savvy as to how to exploit the growing family and Christian 'values' to improve his profile, career etc.  I think he thinks he is a true believer, but I heartily believe he is more faithful to making more money,  maintaining the fame and status as a fundie royalty than he is with following Gothardism to the extreme.  And having a zillion babies was for Jimbob, an overcompensation for his insecurities re; his own manhood. 

So, it took me a while to watch this, mostly because I am one of those special  television add ons for ratings that I didn't want to contribute for them, so I had to wait till tonight to stream it online. I was almost instantly bored. Bored enough that I started noticing how damaged hair was, how way broken out the skin was. How those babies were sitting in black strollers in the sun sweating hardcore (kudos to Bin for knowing how to use the sun top). I think by the end, when they were in the art studio I was doing the why god why.  Also, I would love to knock Jessa down a peg or two, but really I kind of love her attitude, and I don't think she's a bad mom.  So my thoughts of the episode, bad skin, bad hair, boring story, Salty Jessa is kind of my fundy sister spirit animal.

So I have a few things to add. During Derick's talking heads he seemed less than energetic about it all. Then you see him with Mr. V and he seemed happy. Maybe he's just craving some normal interaction with adults?  I was also jarred by Bin's association with football instead of basketball.  I also felt like Mr. V tossed a little shade at the Duggars lifestyle. It made me smile. 

1 hour ago, grandmadugger said:

So I have a few things to add. During Derick's talking heads he seemed less than energetic about it all. Then you see him with Mr. V and he seemed happy. Maybe he's just craving some normal interaction with adults?  I was also jarred by Bin's association with football instead of basketball.  I also felt like Mr. V tossed a little shade at the Duggars lifestyle. It made me smile. 

Evangelist V has no right to be shady. He and his "pregnancy crisis" center are just as fucked up as the rest of the Duggars. But since his fam doesn't seem quite as deep in the koolaid (wearing low necklines, sleeveless tops, etc) I'm hoping someday he sees the light. 

9 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

I was wearing a thong. As soon as we walked into the fitting room I was like "I'm so sorry. I didn't know I was going to be trying on dresses with an attendant, so my underwear choice isn't exactly the best." And she was like "you'd be surprised how many women sign up for appointments, and despite being told to wear full coverage underwear show up completely commando."

What's wrong with the attendant seeing you in a thong? I would probably wear a thong under my actual wedding dress, unless I'm wearing spanx. I guess I would fail that fitting LOL 

18 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

What's wrong with the attendant seeing you in a thong? I would probably wear a thong under my actual wedding dress, unless I'm wearing spanx. I guess I would fail that fitting LOL 

At my fitting, I am sure I was rocking out a thong. My attendant gave us this like, slip skirt and cami thing to wear and didn't even seem phased by the whole undies situation. She might have been distracted by the boob groping my bridesmaid was doing, or my sister spouting on about how I shouldn't pick out my dress while I was pregnant.  If failing a dress fitting is an art, I am an artiste. Rock out those thongs.

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived