IGNORED

Dillards 24 - Smug Bible Tweets and Maneaters (Jill/Derick/Israel/Baby Dillard)

choralcrusader8613

All this GWTW talk mad me curious about how old my copy of this book is.  My mom gave me her copy to read when I was maybe 12 or so.  The latest copyright inside the cover is 1964 and someone wrote their name inside the book and underneath that wrote Summer 1971.  That is when I was born!  I have just texted my mom to find out when / where she got it.  

She just responded and said: "Like I can remember that far back?"   :my_biggrin:

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The History Chicks (http://thehistorychicks.com/) did a great episode on Margret Mitchell and Scarlett O'Hara, along with a wonderful mini-sode on Hattie McDaniel. They talk a lot about how the very rosy tinted view of pre-civil war south came about and Mitchell's influences. 

A few years ago I did the Oakland Cemetery Run Like Hell annual 5k (It is held on or close to Halloween).  Afterwards, we perused the cemetery and I have a picture of me at Margaret Mitchell's grave.

20 minutes ago, freedom_for_all said:

The History Chicks (http://thehistorychicks.com/) did a great episode on Margret Mitchell and Scarlett O'Hara, along with a wonderful mini-sode on Hattie McDaniel. They talk a lot about how the very rosy tinted view of pre-civil war south came about and Mitchell's influences. 

I've never read the book but have seen the movie. To me, Scarlett has always felt like a metaphor for the antebellum south. She does some terrible stuff, can be truly selfish, but she also has this overpowering beauty, charm, and fire that is alluring and can make you overlook the other stuff. I find that her relationship  with Rhett also felt a bit like the north and south.

My mother loved GWTW. i watched it once and read the book once. That was enough for me. 

I hope this next baby keeps Jill and Derick home for awhile (or forever!) Their endless whining about how scary it is for "gringos" (yes they really said that) in Central America was insufferable. They acted like they were living in a war zone dodging grenades every day. 

On 1/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, Rachel333 said:

I mean, even if they really were all in the photo together (and I don't know why they wouldn't be), I'm sure it's at least a little bit photoshopped. I can't imagine they wouldn't do any retouching at all.

As someone else noted, the shadows are all over the place. Wouldn't have happened if they were all in the same place. Even if the photo were good, I don't understand what message they are trying to get across. Look what fun people we are? Even if that worked, kind of conflicts with the show.

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

As someone else noted, the shadows are all over the place. Wouldn't have happened if they were all in the same place. Even if the photo were good, I don't understand what message they are trying to get across. Look what fun people we are? Even if that worked, kind of conflicts with the show.

Instead of "there are lies, damn lies and statistics" it should maybe be changed to "there are lies, damn lies and PHOTOSHOP!":boom:

7 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

I love this. We watched the movie in a southern history class I took (working on my master's in history). The professor kept pausing it and having us point out inaccuracies for our discussion about the Lost Cause and the mythology that sprung up about the old south. 

I think he was partially meaning to spoil us on the movie, but we still love it, historical bullshittery and all. 

8 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I've never read the book but have seen the movie. To me, Scarlett has always felt like a metaphor for the antebellum south. She does some terrible stuff, can be truly selfish, but she also has this overpowering beauty, charm, and fire that is alluring and can make you overlook the other stuff. I find that her relationship  with Rhett also felt a bit like the north and south.

GWTW is kind of like The Shawshank Redemption.  The last part of the movie is what makes it great.

Anyone else getting Trump ads on this site? I'm seeing a banner about "free inauguration tickets" right now. No thanks! *vomits* Ironically, Trump's army of idiots probably can't afford travel to DC lmao. Also, fuck Toby Keith for doing an inauguration concert. 

Hated the book and movie because of the way it romanticized the South, Southerners, and the Civil War.

To be fair, it's actually Ashley and Melanie who represent the gallant, Antebellum South.  This is why they struggle, are lost, and one of them dies in post-War Georgia.  Scarlett (and Rhett) more correctly represent the New South: they do well, they survive, but in order to do so, they must become completely unscrupulous.  They're terrible people, and the book is pretty clear about that. 

One thing I will give the book is that it does contain a survivor account of the impact of the total war on the south (from Mitchell's grandmother).  Sherman's march to the sea contained what would be considered today to be MULTIPLE war crimes.  He was completely unconcerned with targeting the fleeing and fractured army.  He very much MEANT to wage war against civilians, as he considered The South as being completely belligerent.  The accounts of the people who survived this are important, but they were long omitted from the official history that sought to glorify the victors.  Instead, their only outlet was in movements that romanticized the old south, so it can be difficult  to separate these very real and very valid criticisms of Northern Agression from the pure fiction also part of the movement.

25 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

To be fair, it's actually Ashley and Melanie who represent the gallant, Antebellum South.  This is why they struggle, are lost, and one of them dies in post-War Georgia.  Scarlett (and Rhett) more correctly represent the New South: they do well, they survive, but in order to do so, they must become completely unscrupulous.  They're terrible people, and the book is pretty clear about that. 

One thing I will give the book is that it does contain a survivor account of the impact of the total war on the south (from Mitchell's grandmother).  Sherman's march to the sea contained what would be considered today to be MULTIPLE war crimes.  He was completely unconcerned with targeting the fleeing and fractured army.  He very much MEANT to wage war against civilians, as he considered The South as being completely belligerent.  The accounts of the people who survived this are important, but they were long omitted from the official history that sought to glorify the victors.  Instead, their only outlet was in movements that romanticized the old south, so it can be difficult  to separate these very real and very valid criticisms of Northern Agression from the pure fiction also part of the movement.

Jumping the GWTW talk, I think I'm one of the few people who found Scarlett to be a heroine. She was a feminist in a  pre-feminist society. She did what no one else would do, made sure her family survived, Ashley could never man up and tell Scarlett he didn't love, nor could he man up and take care of Melanie and his son. Or his sisters, or anyone. Scarlett did it, and since she was a woman, she did it the only way she would be allowed at that time, marry rich. When she married Frank Kennedy she did so because she was going to save Tara, herself, AND her siblings, she didn't do it for just herself. While she made money for herself, she made sure that her siblings, her children (she had 3 in the book vs the movie) and her nieces & nephews and her slaves (or former slaves) had a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. That scene in the garden where she was desperately digging for any food and said "as God is my witness I'll never go hungry again" she meant it, She knew starvation, she knew the horrors of war, more than her sisters did, even more than Melanie I believe.  Everyone hated her for it because it wasn't what a woman, a lady did, especially NOT a lady of her station.   

As for her & Rhett, Rhett was a money grubber and an opportunist, but he loved Scarlett and her him. I think  both of them had so much hurt in their lives they let their pride get in the way of being together.  Did anyone read Scarlett? It was about what happened AFTER the end of GWTW. while Margaret Mitchell died and wasn't able to write it the author did, I think a very good job of explaining Scarlett's motives, once she had lost everyone and everything. If you haven't read I suggest you do, it wasn't as good as GWTW but it was a good read. 

7 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Anyone else getting Trump ads on this site? I'm seeing a banner about "free inauguration tickets" right now. No thanks! *vomits* Ironically, Trump's army of idiots probably can't afford travel to DC lmao. Also, fuck Toby Keith for doing an inauguration concert. 

One of my FB friends is soooo excited because she and her husband have tickets to the inauguration. I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out one by one without anything to kill the pain. Yeah, I know that sounds gross; but you get the idea.  And I'm disappointed that 3 Doors Down is playing the inauguration concert...I've always liked them and I knew they were on the conservative side, so I shouldn't have been too surprised, but I'm still disappointed that they'd do that.

I've never liked GWTW. Having to read and study it in English class in my junior year of high school killed it (and, for that matter, most American literature) for me.  The way our teacher taught the class, we were all so busy trying to remember stuff in the book like what Scarlett ate for breakfast that particular summer morning (well, not exactly, but you get the idea) to regurgitate on our daily quizzes that important things to know like plot, theme, characters' intentions, etc. were lost.  To this day, all I can remember is how poorly I did on those and far too many other quizzes. (I hardly ever did well on them...just couldn't pull up those tidbits from my memory to write them down when the teacher asked questions asking for them.  I usually did manage to do better on essays.)

Growing up in England, GWTW wasn't in our curriculum. I did see the movie. My favorite was Carol Burnett's sketch.

Btw why is Derick so awkward acting? He wasn't homeschooled was he? Granted maybe he feels unnatural on camera. But it's strange how he acts just as awkward as homeschooled Ben and the Duggars. 

15 minutes ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

For the GWTW fans, what do you think about the sequel (Scarlett)?

As a story, I enjoyed the part that was set in Ireland. But I had to think of Scarlett as a totally separate character . As a sequel to GWTW it was terrible. 

25 minutes ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

For the GWTW fans, what do you think about the sequel (Scarlett)? 

GWTW does NOT take a good or justifiable position on the South.  However, in terms of its merit as a work of literature, it does have many redeeming qualities.  Like I said above, one of my favorite parts of the novel is how the main characters are personifications of movements/societies/ideals, and how their relationships and interactions make points about the relationships and interactions of various factions in the Civil War and Reconstruction South.

There is a WHOLE LOT between the lines of GWTW. 

Scarlett loses all that.  Gone is the deeper meaning of Mitchell's novel. Gone, largely, is the personal source material. It loses much of its power and charm.  

BTW, if anyone wants an INCREDIBLY well sourced and well written Civil War Novel, I cannot recommend The Killer Angels enough. 

36 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

Btw why is Derick so awkward acting? He wasn't homeschooled was he? Granted maybe he feels unnatural on camera. But it's strange how he acts just as awkward as homeschooled Ben and the Duggars. 

Some people are just awkward it doesn't matter how they were schooled. Ben may have been homeschooled but he was socialized a lot more than the Duggars. 

As a northern transplant to the south, I've always been mystified when women claim to adore Scarlett and express a desire to want to be like her. I'm always left wondering if they read the same book I did...:?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived