IGNORED

Dillards 24 - Smug Bible Tweets and Maneaters (Jill/Derick/Israel/Baby Dillard)

choralcrusader8613

Charles Hamilton was India's (?), Frank Kennedy was Suellen's beau.. I don't remember a Tarleton Twin liking Careen.. I thought she wanted to be a nun. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, GreenTea said:

I like Ireland, Georgia, Summer, etc as names... but it depends on the reason behind it.

"Asia" was very popular name around my neck of the woods a few years ago, but the parents often did it to sound exotic and worldly - even though they were the opposite of that. Kinda like the preppy status of Buffy, Bunny, and Jennifer back in the day. 

Though I really like the name Buffy thanks to Joss Whedon. Classic ditz name transformed into a wicked vampire slayer. Priceless. 

A friend of mine gave her first daughter the middle name of "Georgia" (named after one of her college professors). I think it's a great name, and well-suited to her (both my friend & her daughter).

Alec Baldwin & Kim Basinger named their daughter Ireland (& a friend's granddaughter is named the same). I like Ireland as a name, too.

Remember a few pages back when someone got ragey about the photoshop thing?  Well,  one thing that gets me, well not quite ragey, but annoyed is when people think that Derrick took Jill to CA to get away from the  Joshgate scandals.  That is most definitely not true. 

In the last episode, when they were all talking in a group, just before the molestation news was released,  they showed previews for the next season.   In those promos we saw that they were going to cover Joe leaving for Crown College, and they showed Jill and Derick telling JB about going on a mission trip. 

Now,  Based on JBs reaction at the time,  which genuinely seemed taken aback by the news,  I think that it is possible that Derick and Jill were planning to go somewhere else, farther away, but I don't know that for sure.  After Joshgate,  then they announced they were going to the heathen CA because God knows that country already full of Christian Catholics, really needs 2 idiots who don't speak the language, who don't believe good works is part of what being a Christian entails and who have barely any appreciable skills. 

And, I know we have moved on from the photo, but it is photoshopped.  The scale on the right side is very different from the scale on the left.  I do think it is possible that they were all present at the same time of the pics but for the final picture someone obviously took what they thought was the best half from two different pictures and put it together.  I wonder two if this is why Jana's legs look so stumpy.  Yes the hemline and the ankle boot contribute, but it also looks to me how things look when you are editing photos to be on a different scale.  It results in a subtle distortion. 

As to why the rest of the photo looks so bad?  Well, in my opinion based on years of observational study of this microculture,  it is because these people are intrinsically awkward as fuck.  From the very beginning, when the were all lined up in freshly pressed khaki pants, collared shirts and little house on the praire dresses,  they never seemed all that connected to one another, like siblings often do.  I think they have all suffered some sort of attachment issues from infancy.    They are all so stiff, and flat with one exception.  One thing I enjoyed from last season, was that we got to see Jinger be less stiff and rigid than her peers.  While we all gagged over the "baaabe" stuff, it was obvious that her physicality and body language with Jeremy was among the most natural we have seen from a duggar.  

I hope, rather than believe,  that their awkwardness is just really magnified when on screen.  Despite having been on TV most of their lives,  none of these kids exhibits any sort of natural on screen charisma.  I suspect that it has to do with being hounded by JB on how to behave and what to say on Camera constantly in the early days, and it resulted in them not having much confidence to be spontaneous.  I also suspect that rather than foster true intimacy between siblings,  JB and M fostered a very different dynamic.  By turning the kids in to mini-mom and dads,  it removed the natural sibling dynamic which is alternately close and intimate and at times antagonistic and competitive.  Typical siblings will fight and annoy one another and learn about negotiation, compromise and forgiveness through those exchanges.  They will also often keep each other's secrets, look out for one another, have inside jokes, etc.  Often times siblings will have more loyalty to each other than to parents on some issues.  And when raised well, they can tell the difference between a secret that is ok to keep and something that might need parental intervention.

But with the duggars,  they were not allowed to fight, and annoy each other.  Everything was put in the context of disappointing God/JB&M if they weren't Godly 100% of the time.  And, we know they were encouraged to not keep secrets, and tell on each other for sinful thoughts.  That lack of trust, that false sense that 'we are godly so we have to love each other', shows through.  The lack of spontaneity that is very obvious with the kids reflects fear because  spontaneous thoughts and urges could be sinful. 

On 1/12/2017 at 10:25 AM, nausicaa said:

In the case of Derrick though, there isn't much sheltering to use as an excuse. He went to college, at a state university, and lived abroad and worked in corporate America for several years before meeting Jill. 

His douchenozzledom is all on him.

Fair point. :) Although he went to OSU, that's still hard core bible belt country, hardly UC-Berkeley or some such other experience....

Derick's tweet from yesterday. 

Then he retweeted from his pastor, tomorrow will be a High Holy Day for the Duggars! 

7 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Charles Hamilton was India's (?), Frank Kennedy was Suellen's beau.. I don't remember a Tarleton Twin liking Careen.. I thought she wanted to be a nun. 

I remember something about Careen and a Tarleton twin...did this happen in the book, but not the movie?  Also in the book, didn't Scarlett have a couple of children by one of her husbands before Rhett (I am guessing Mr. Kennnedy, she wasn't married to Charles Hamilton long enough, right?)?  It's been a while, I could be totally wrong...

@goldengrove & @Four is Enough, yes, in the book, the reason Careen wants be a nun is her Tarleton twin is killed in the war. Scarlett had a child with Charles Hamilton, a little boy named Wade Hampton and a little girl named Ella with Frank Kennedy.

Oh, yes. EVen though by now Scarlett is Charles' widow, she's still astonished that one of the Tarleton Twins would turn his eyes away from the belle of the county to her mere sister!! Fiddle-de-dee!!

10 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@goldengrove & @Four is Enough, yes, in the book, the reason Careen wants be a nun is her Tarleton twin is killed in the war. Scarlett had a child with Charles Hamilton, a little boy named Wade Hampton and a little girl named Ella with Frank Kennedy.

thank you @DaniLouisiana :) now I remember...I need to check it out again, has been years... it's a HUGE audiobook, like 40 discs or so

Sibling closeness: My sons are as different as night and day and for the most part get along like oil and water. HOWEVER...years ago, my younger son was getting bullied by some kid at the bus stop. My older son went and took care of the bully. My daughter would make fun of her brother while they were on the playground at school...some boy decided to join in the teasing and my daughter let the kid have it with the battle cry "THAT'S MY BROTHER".  They still have a very complicated relationship. 

My granddaughters are also as different as night and day. One is a diva, the other is a nerd. They fight with each other constantly but God help an outsider who decides to get involved. (my KT who is a nerd...well...she got that legit from Nona...)

9 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, yes. EVen though by now Scarlett is Charles' widow, she's still astonished that one of the Tarleton Twins would turn his eyes away from the belle of the county to her mere sister!! Fiddle-de-dee!!

j

Fiddle-de-dee indeed :D she never did change about that, did she?

My oldest and youngest have been besties since the younger one came out of me. Kiddo was Bigfoot's baby-nobody, even Sissy was allowed to pick on him. The boys both love their diva of a sister but she is very tempermental and high maintenance and has little common sense. She's smart as whip but sense-no.  When the two youngers had trouble with boys throwing rocks at them, Bigfoot was out the door before the words "hang on! Wait for me" had left my mouth. As adults, the boys are close and regard their sister as needing protection from herself. All three will hang together but no too often...sister's company can be wearing.

Happy to see I am not the only Gone with the Wind fan!  And just for the record, while I enjoy the movie, I adore the book.  May be a long movie--but not nearly long enough to really get to know Scarlett!

15 minutes ago, xlurker said:

Happy to see I am not the only Gone with the Wind fan!  And just for the record, while I enjoy the movie, I adore the book.  May be a long movie--but not nearly long enough to really get to know Scarlett!

I'm the same way, Scarlett is a major piece of work...can't believe I'm getting so forgetful, I don't remember important parts ^_^ didn't she initially want to call her Pansy, or did I dream that? 

@goldengrove,  yep, Margaret Mitchell originally called Scarlett Pansy.  I don't know if a book editor suggested she change it or if the change was Mitchell's idea, but it was changed.

2 hours ago, goldengrove said:

I'm the same way, Scarlett is a major piece of work...can't believe I'm getting so forgetful, I don't remember important parts ^_^ didn't she initially want to call her Pansy, or did I dream that? 

I remember reading that on Mental Floss. Somehow "Pansy" lacks the drama of "Scarlett." I wonder if the character would be have been as iconic with a less awesome name. 

5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@goldengrove,  yep, Margaret Mitchell originally called Scarlett Pansy.  I don't know if a book editor suggested she change it or if the change was Mitchell's idea, but it was changed.

thank goodness it was changed, there is nothing fiery about Pansy...

11 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Fair point. :) Although he went to OSU, that's still hard core bible belt country, hardly UC-Berkeley or some such other experience....

WOOT! for a shout out to my alma mater. Still protesting, baby! 

I still want Scarlet's BBQ dress! My husband bought me a Madame Alexander doll a few years ago that is wearing the dress-he wisely checked with DD and Kiddo to make sure he had the right one because he always confuses the BBQ (white with green flowers) with the curtain dress (emerald green velvet). Next on my list is the Barbie in the black and white 'suit' from Rhett (sigh-formed in my little mind what a romantic man should be) and Scarlet's honeymoon to NOLA....

It was Brent Tarleton who Carreen fell in love with and vice versa. The book and movie both open with Scarlett and the Tarleton twins, Brent and Stuart. In the movie, Stuart was played by "Superman" George Reeves.

9 hours ago, goldengrove said:

thank goodness it was changed, there is nothing fiery about Pansy...

Pansy Parkinson was pretty fiery (albeit a bully) in HP...

So glad to see so many other GWTW fans! It used to be an annual read for me, but hasn't been for a few years. Must find my copy and change that. Also it might be time to introduce my husband to the movie!

At one time I thought I'd name a girl Katie Scarlett... or Ashley.. I like Ashley for a girl..

3 hours ago, sta_sha said:

So glad to see so many other GWTW fans! It used to be an annual read for me, but hasn't been for a few years. Must find my copy and change that. Also it might be time to introduce my husband to the movie!

I got my Dh to watch it, after the end he was like "what...that's it?? but...."  I laughed.

3 hours ago, sta_sha said:

I must find mine also!  Have read it almost every year or every other year since the 6th grade!  My husband, however, refuses to watch the movie.  In his defense, he has gotten me the DVD so that I can indulge whenever I feel the need :D

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived