IGNORED

Unintentionally hilarious religious art

Grimalkin

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or does that "baby" look a little like Josh Duggar....?

Just when I think it can't get any better.....:boom:

14 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Speaking of buff Jesus...

damn-bro-you-lift-korean-buff-jesus-crucifix_1.jpg

nLDOdEa.jpg

Buff, yes, but I'm putting them both in the broader Steroid Jesus category.  It's hard to get lats like that without a little help. 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Wasn't that third pic in @BabyBottlePop's post @VelociRapture's old avatar?  It was some FJite if not hers. 

:pb_lol:

Not mine. My old one was the Philosoraptor. I always crack up at that "Jesus cuddling a raptor" picture though.

6 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

7ac3a51799ccc4910a3464af17a07cef.jpg

So THIS is how Christopher Maxwell was born!  :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

Is it just me, or does that "baby" look a little like Josh Duggar....?

Ha! That's so funny. 

5 hours ago, BabyBottlePop said:

My favorites are Jesus and dinosaurs. 

http://www.dailydawdle.com/2011/10/10-epic-portraits-of-jesus-and.html?m=1

With the last one-- I'm sorry raptors are not supposed to be that calm. Maybe he got saved.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The first two dinosaurs crack me up. They look like they just heard the best joke ever. Jesus however, is not amused.

8 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

WTF? Did he deliberately do that to honor his patron?

You'd think the patron was a male Duggar.

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Ha! That's so funny. 

Ooops, I should have read ahead---

On 1/7/2017 at 0:04 AM, Grimalkin said:

Why is Jesus such a busy body control freak?! Let them do their job for Christ..... crying out loud!

IMG_3559.JPG

I happen to like this one very much.  If my loved one is being operated on, I would hope that God is watching over the surgery and keeping my loved one safe.  Have some religious tolerance for those who believe.  That's what's wrong with this world.  People don't have religious tolerance.  Not all believers are extremists, and many main stream Christians and people of other faiths pray to their God when their loved one's life is in jeopardy.  People who mock someone's God are just as bad as extremists that are critical of other people's beliefs.  Saying that God's intervention in surgery is being a "busy body control freak" is mocking the God of Christians. 

Devil-Jesus-Arm-Wrestling-768x461.jpeg

Jesus is always so white. So very, very white. 

Jesus-with-Golfer.jpg

Maybe Jesus should stop hanging out with the golfers and go do something about all those starving children. 

CLOWN_1024x768.jpg

37 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

I happen to like this one very much.  If my loved one is being operated on, I would hope that God is watching over the surgery and keeping my loved one safe.  Have some religious tolerance for those who believe. 

Here's the thing. Every single one of these images probably has the same meaningful impact on someone. A couple of them, I personally wouldn't want to meet that person, but that's a different issue. When you approve of the snarking on this site right up until it's something you like, that smacks of hypocrisy. 

Plus, any God who made the platypus ought to be able to cope with some mocking.

53 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

I happen to like this one very much.  If my loved one is being operated on, I would hope that God is watching over the surgery and keeping my loved one safe.  Have some religious tolerance for those who believe.  That's what's wrong with this world.  People don't have religious tolerance.  Not all believers are extremists, and many main stream Christians and people of other faiths pray to their God when their loved one's life is in jeopardy.  People who mock someone's God are just as bad as extremists that are critical of other people's beliefs.  Saying that God's intervention in surgery is being a "busy body control freak" is mocking the God of Christians. 

I agree that there is nothing wrong in praying before going in for surgery or believing that Jesus is watching over you and the doctors who perform the surgery. I am a Christian too and I believe that this. However, I still find this particular image snark worthy since it looks like Jesus in this picture is just some random guy off the street in unsuitable clothes for this environment telling the doctor "perhaps just you can cut a bit overthere at that pink thing?" The same with many of the other pictures, the ideas they convey are not necessarily snark worthy but the actual image, yes.

14 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

The first two dinosaurs crack me up. They look like they just heard the best joke ever. Jesus however, is not amused.

Oh my god that made me crack up on the train to work. Those pics just got 100% better.

Here are a couple of my favorite examples of bad Christian book cover art I found a while back:

IMG_20161226_124748_670.jpgIMG_20161226_124946_265.jpg

I'm still kicking myself for not buying both of them. They were just kinda overpriced :cry:

55 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Here's the thing. Every single one of these images probably has the same meaningful impact on someone. A couple of them, I personally wouldn't want to meet that person, but that's a different issue. When you approve of the snarking on this site right up until it's something you like, that smacks of hypocrisy. 

Plus, any God who made the platypus ought to be able to cope with some mocking.

I don't approve of all the snarking on this site.  Never did.  In my opinion, there is a big difference between mainstream Christians, Muslims, et al and all forms of extremism (from mild to ultra extreme)  Mild extremism in my opinion includes comments like "the sky fairy," etc because mild extremism includes religious intolerance.  Religious intolerance and other forms of extremism, I'll snark on.  But never on someone's beliefs alone.  And there's nothing extreme about a piece of art that shows Jesus watching over an operation. 

You're missing my point. What's "extreme" about buff!Jesus, football!Jesus or the over-the-top ecstacy of some iconongraphy? You had nothing to say in defense of any of those image, only the one you liked.

55 minutes ago, elliha said:

I agree that there is nothing wrong in praying before going in for surgery or believing that Jesus is watching over you and the doctors who perform the surgery. I am a Christian too and I believe that this. However, I still find this particular image snark worthy since it looks like Jesus in this picture is just some random guy off the street in unsuitable clothes for this environment telling the doctor "perhaps just you can cut a bit overthere at that pink thing?" The same with many of the other pictures, the ideas they convey are not necessarily snark worthy but the actual image, yes.

Art is in the eye of the beholder and is subject to interpretation.  To me, it looks like Jesus is guiding the surgeon and is watching over the operation. 

the snarkiness of that image is that rather than put all of our trust in any God, we should primarily trust the education, experience, and competence of the medical team.  this subject has been discussed on other threads.  nobody is saying that one can't pray for a patient in surgery, but many of us believe it is the medical professionals doing the heavy lifting rather than any God.

now, Jesus watching over the golfer:  no, just no.

Hilarious less for the art itself and more for the response was "The Genius of Evil." The statue on the right replaced the original on the left, which was declared as, basically, too pretty and distracting to young women.  So boy-band-pretty Lucifer was replaced with angsty-buff Lucifer. (Also fun fact, the pieces were done by brothers. The younger did the original, the older the second).

geefs.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_génie_du_mal

2 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Regardless of the subject matter that painting is fucking cheesy and awful, which is the point of the thread. I'm sure there are plenty of well-executed paintings that deal with the concept of god as the great physician but this ain't one of them. I'm not here to mock your sincerely-held religious beliefs, unless you sincerely believe these pictures are good art. To soothe your feelings, here's some goofy atheist art.

Footsteps-in-the-Sand-deatail.jpg

Larger than what? 

I am not aware of any evidence that surgeons of any particular religion get better results than atheist surgeons  but I am looking forward to being pointed to such research. 

Regardless of what anyone believes about God's role in medicine, the surgery Jesus above is snarkworthy to me because to me he looks more like a distraction to the surgeon and an infection risk than any real help. 

It would be better if he hovered a little farther away. 

Also it looks like Jesus couldn't convince the surgeons to use gloves. 

Archived