IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

46 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I think it was an anti-legalism sermon.  It could be interpreted as anti-Gothard or in your face Jim Bob.

Yes, thank you!  That's the term I couldn't remember.  Something tells me he was sending JIm Bob a message.  Hope JB received it.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't know why they bother asking the pregnancy question if they are just going to run a test anyway.

I went to the ER in 2015 and before my husband arrived, the nurse did ask if I was safe at home. Not sure how she worded it. I think I was asked the morning of my c-section too but I can't recall.

None of my other doctors have ever asked. But at my ob/gyn's office in the bathroom (where you go to pee in a cup) there was a stack a pamphlets about domestic violence by the sink.

At my most recent gyno appointment 2 weeks ago, my doctor asked me if I felt safe at home, and if we have any guns in the house. It caught me off guard a little, but it was nice to now that she (and y other doctors/nurses in the practice) is looking out for women's health and well being outside of the standard medical procedures. 

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Yes, thank you!  That's the term I couldn't remember.  Something tells me he was sending JIm Bob a message.  Hope JB received it.

I don't think Jeremy is any better than JB, he just wants to be "not a freak show" as  someone said above. I bet Jeremy's pregnancy crisis center discourages people from birth control, and probably doesn't even have free condoms. Which proves that these people don't really care about preventing abortions so much as ramming their lifestyle down other people's throats. Ironically, the birth control these fundies hate so much would also greatly reduce the number of fertilized eggs which tragically "die" (sarcasm) before implantation. Condoms obviously stop sperm from meeting egg, and the pill stops an egg from becoming available in the first place (when taken CORRECTLY!)

Jeremy reminds me totally of Mike Pence. UGH. 

19 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

First if you don't have it already, 3rd edition of the book Stop The Thyroid Madness. NDT (naturally dessicated thyroid ie Naturethroid, WP, or last resort Armour) if you can get a doc to prescribe it. Thyrovanz if you can't get a doc to write the script. Once you do that for a few weeks Holy Basil to help heal the adrenals. I've been hypo more than half my life and since I started this regimen I have energy again and my hair isn't falling out all the time. Night and day!!

Thank you for this information!  I don't know what you are talking about yet, but I am definitely going to find out.  I am hypo as well, a few months ago, my new primary care unexpectedly cut my meds down a notch, and everything promptly went haywire with me.  They finally admitted that maaaybe I tested a little low on the last TSH, but they refuse to put the dosage back where it was.  Meanwhile I have all the symptoms of low thyroid, getting worse all the time :kitty-shifty: so it they won't help, I've got to figure something out myself, or get a new caregiver.

On the topic of drinking: strictly based on personal observation and experiences, I think many people in the USA have a weird, extreme relationship with alcohol.

On one extreme, there are fundie churches where alcohol is even forbidden in cooking. On the other extreme, there are college kids who cannot wait to be 21 to "get wasted", people who hide flasks of alcohol at concerts, etc. I have honestly not seen this in any other country where I have lived or visited, including my own country of origin.

I am not saying that all people in the USA are like that or that there aren't people like that in other countries, only what I have observed. It was always puzzling to me, coming from the perspective of growing up with wine on the table at all meals as far back as I can remember, and drinking/not drinking never being a big deal. 

4 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

I think that part of the sermon was about not being too literal, can't remember the exact word, in interpreting the bible and not to get hung up on certain rules.  Someone please help me here.  Speculation here that Jinger is wearing pants and they like to have a glass of wine with dinner, or he may be trying to appeal to his congregants.

I took the sermon as opposite - "yes, my wife is a gothard freak show, but I promise not to judge you if you wear less-godly pants or drink some wine. We need church members so come here" 

Though I am secretly hoping for the alternative and that *if* pants or wine are something Jinger desires that she is able to test them out without judgement from her husband. 

1 minute ago, Casserole said:

I took the sermon as opposite - "yes, my wife is a gothard freak show, but I promise not to judge you if you wear less-godly pants or drink some wine. We need church members so come here" 

Though I am secretly hoping for the alternative and that *if* pants or wine are something Jinger desires that she is able to test them out without judgement from her husband. 

Yes, that's why I said that he maybe trying to appeal to his congregants.  

Since Jinger was taped sleeveless on her honeymoon I can see her adjusting her modesty standards and wearing pants soon, if she's not already.  She might even be curious to try some wine if she's around his family when they are having some with dinner.  I don't see her living by her parents standards once out of their house.

On 1/8/2017 at 1:53 AM, VeganCupcake said:

e a bit …TLC used to present the Duggars as an oddity, but now they are being shown in a very glamorous light. People need to realize their lifestyle is not realistic for normal people who aren't rich famous reality stars. They act like God blessed them with all of this bc they are just sooooo godly, when in fact their TV show saved them from disaster. MOST homeschooled people whose parents have isolated them and held them back from an education are struggling, not living large like the Duggars. 

What country are you from, out of curiosity? I won't deny that in the US we have a strange relationship with alcohol (the 21 drinking age coexisting with a culture of extreme underage binge drinking being the prime example), but I've also lived in Europe and Latin America, and sneaking flasks into concerts seems pretty par for the course. ;) 

31 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

What country are you from, out of curiosity? I won't deny that in the US we have a strange relationship with alcohol (the 21 drinking age coexisting with a culture of extreme underage binge drinking being the prime example), but I've also lived in Europe and Latin America, and sneaking flasks into concerts seems pretty par for the course.  

Think you meant to quote "shouldabeenacowboy" ? 

2 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

I don't think Jeremy is any better than JB, he just wants to be "not a freak show" as  someone said above. I bet Jeremy's pregnancy crisis center discourages people from birth control, and probably doesn't even have free condoms. Which proves that these people don't really care about preventing abortions so much as ramming their lifestyle down other people's throats. Ironically, the birth control these fundies hate so much would also greatly reduce the number of fertilized eggs which tragically "die" (sarcasm) before implantation. Condoms obviously stop sperm from meeting egg, and the pill stops an egg from becoming available in the first place (when taken CORRECTLY!)

Jeremy reminds me totally of Mike Pence. UGH. 

My thoughts on Jeremy in a sound bite: Same Kool-Ade, different flavor.

48 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

What country are you from, out of curiosity? I won't deny that in the US we have a strange relationship with alcohol (the 21 drinking age coexisting with a culture of extreme underage binge drinking being the prime example), but I've also lived in Europe and Latin America, and sneaking flasks into concerts seems pretty par for the course. ;) 

I am from Italy.

Other than Italy, I lived in various other countries in Europe, Middle East, South America, and Asia. Visited many others. No flasks. 

I lived in the East Coast, West Coast and South USA and plenty of the above.

Maybe my USA friends are just a more fun lot and/or I am hanging out with the wrong folks in the other countries!:)

18 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I am from Italy.

Other than Italy, I lived in various other countries in Europe, Middle East, South America, and Asia. Visited many others. No flasks. 

I lived in the East Coast, West Coast and South USA and plenty of the above.

Maybe my USA friends are just a more fun lot and/or I am hanging out with the wrong folks in the other countries!:)

I think flasks are largely an American concept because of our Puritanistic roots; people use a sneaky flask because many view alcohol as something scandalous or shameful. In the novel The Girl on the Train, which is set in Britain, she openly drinks cans of alcohol on the train each day. But in the movie version which takes place in America, she sneaks vodka onto the train in a water bottle. Alcohol is strictly banned on most if not all of our trains here. 

3 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

On the topic of drinking: strictly based on personal observation and experiences, I think many people in the USA have a weird, extreme relationship with alcohol.

As an American, I would agree with you. I thank my immigrant father for giving me a more healthy relationship with alcohol than most of my friends. He had a glass of wine on the table with dinner from when he was twelve onward, and I had my first tiny sip of watered-down wine when I was ten (hated it, then). Now, I'm not saying that we should be giving kids alcohol with reckless abandon, but a glass of wine with dinner when you're seventeen- that's fine, in my opinion. It normalizes it. Takes the mystery out. Means you won't get to college with no experience, thinking "oh I'll have this grown-up drink that's forbidden to me and rebel SO MUCH." I had friends who would say, "oh I got so wasted last night" and my reaction was, "And? Also, that brand of vodka is TERRIBLE. I'll make you a proper cocktail."

This was just my personal experience, probably not representative of the whole... but maybe, if you don't give your kids something to rebel against, then they might not demonstrate as destructive behavior as teens and young adults. Of course, y'all do what you want with your own kids, but I had a positive experience with this method.

TL:DR; Americans are weird and extremes are bad, no matter which end they're at.

18 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

I thank my immigrant father for giving me a more healthy relationship with alcohol than most of my friends. He had a glass of wine on the table with dinner from when he was twelve onward, and I had my first tiny sip of watered-down wine when I was ten (hated it, then)

My father would split a beer with me when my mother worked nights (I was 11-12 or so?) My grandmother served us kids (the cousins) wine or beer with dinner on Sundays and holidays. (German side of the family).

The funny part...I don't drink hardly at all now. A margarita every once in a blue moon and a bottle of three buck chuck can last a month! 

3 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Think you meant to quote "shouldabeenacowboy" ? 

So weird...I don't know how that happened! :)

@Shouldabeenacowboy - I guess I was just thinking of days when we were all young and broke and sneaking in alcohol was a way to cut costs. I've never lived in Italy (though I've visited), but there's definitely a culture of heavy drinking in Germanic countries, but I guess they are able to do it more in the open than we are in the US. 

Also @VeganCupcake - interesting observation! I've never seen that movie or read the book, but as an aside Amtrak allows passengers to bring their own alcohol on trains, as do some commuter rails that I'm familiar with (MARC, LIRR, etc.). But I've never lived in the South so perhaps it's different down there.  

42 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

As an American, I would agree with you. I thank my immigrant father for giving me a more healthy relationship with alcohol than most of my friends. He had a glass of wine on the table with dinner from when he was twelve onward, and I had my first tiny sip of watered-down wine when I was ten (hated it, then). Now, I'm not saying that we should be giving kids alcohol with reckless abandon, but a glass of wine with dinner when you're seventeen- that's fine, in my opinion. It normalizes it. Takes the mystery out. Means you won't get to college with no experience, thinking "oh I'll have this grown-up drink that's forbidden to me and rebel SO MUCH." I had friends who would say, "oh I got so wasted last night" and my reaction was, "And? Also, that brand of vodka is TERRIBLE. I'll make you a proper cocktail."

This was just my personal experience, probably not representative of the whole... but maybe, if you don't give your kids something to rebel against, then they might not demonstrate as destructive behavior as teens and young adults. Of course, y'all do what you want with your own kids, but I had a positive experience with this method.

TL:DR; Americans are weird and extremes are bad, no matter which end they're at.

This is how my parents were with me. We always had champagne at holidays and we kids started with tiny glasses of that. They taught me how to mix a few cocktails in my teens and then I was allowed to sip on theirs a bit. We do relatively the same things with our children. They have regular wine at communion. They can taste a sip of our drink, teens can have a very small drink with us if asked. They don't seem real into it, although one is not at all phased by the taste. That one can swallow a sip of scotch like it's water, so we'll have to be watchful lol. But we have taught them that alcohol can be dangerous and is to be respected and consumed responsibly. We've also told them if they want to try smoking pot or a cigarette, ask us, and we'll do it together. 

3 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Alcohol is strictly banned on most if not all of our trains here. 

It's sold in the Cafe Car on Amtrak so not very banned there.  It isn't allowed on the light rail/commuter lines I've ridden though.

As an international student studying in the states (from the Caribbean) I can say that there is a huge college drinking problem. Where I'm from, people definitely drink but they point isn't really to get drunk (though people most definitely do get drunk). The legal age here is 18 but it's not strictly enforced. My mom let me taste beer when I was 12, there was alcohol and family reunions but nobody drank excessively (except my uncle). 

In my experience college parties involve getting out-of-this-world drunk. I've seen people black out, go to the hospital, destroy property etc. It's madness. There's no pacing or mixing...just drink as much as possible all weekend. I don't understand it. 

To be fair I've also spent time in the UK and Germany where people drink heavily. But they seem to have better control of themselves. 

There are also a lot of weird laws about the selling of liquor in America. Like can't buy alcohol after 7pm, some counties are dry, can't sell hard liquor in the supermarket blah blah. Where I'm from you can buy alcohol from any pharmacy, convenience store etc. 

IDK, America is weird y'all. 

19 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@calimojo, a quick question about your hospital (you sound like a healthcare worker)? Does your hospital kick co-worker spouses out of the room before asking the "safety question"? Mine does not. Like I would tell them anything with my spouse, who is their co-worker standing right there?!?

I have no idea what the usual process is.  They are supposed to ask the question in a way that allows the person to answer honestly,  but how it actually happens, I can't speak to.  Sometimes  I imagine they do it as someone else described, where up front they ask if it is ok if their partner/spouse/SO is present when they are asked about their medical hx, and sometimes,  the intake nurse, might have a gut feeling that he/she should ask the question more discretely.  And I imagine sometimes it is just handled in the way of "I have about 20 questions to ask you so lets just run down the list" kind of thing.  When I worked OB,  I would usually ask to have some time to discuss things with the mom to be privately.  Because we were dealing with body parts that people don't show too often,  I could usually say that I wanted to just talk to mom about how she wanted to handle privacy issues,  who was allowed to be in the room during delivery, and vaginal exams, etc.  Usually I would send dad or the SO on an errand to fetch ice chips while we went over the more sensitive questions.  And yes,  on more than one occasion, someone told me they didn't feel safe at home or with the SO. 

There are a ton of social issues when you work OB.  Dads who are in jail, or a gang or on drugs,  mom on drugs,  Grandparents estranged, but demanding to see the baby,  Teen dad in one room with one baby mama when his second baby mama comes in in labor in the next room, surrogates, adoptions, mentally challenged and mentally ill moms,  etc.  Everyone always thinks it is a happy place, and often it is, but it is also full of lots of very intense family dynamics.  As a seasoned nurse, you get pretty good are reading situations, but it doesn't mean you always get it right.  I  

47 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's sold in the Cafe Car on Amtrak so not very banned there.  It isn't allowed on the light rail/commuter lines I've ridden though.

You can actually BYOB on Amatrak as well! (I love Amtrak). And you should look up your local commuter line - many allow it. 

Actually they make announcements on the commuter line of no food or drink of any kind so I'm sure. 

46 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

There are also a lot of weird laws about the selling of liquor in America.

I was recently in North Carolina, where I was informed that there are no hard alcohol sales after 9pm Sat night til on Sunday after church is out.  Wow, NC, policing your citizens a bit..?!  Loosey-goosey citizens cannot be trusted to not be drunk/hungover and subtly pushing them to attend church?

Geeze, it was a weird vibe....

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Word. Italian immigrant grandparents. There was always, always wine with dinner. You visit a relative, they bring out the homemade wine. It's such a part of life and culture. I can't even remember the first time I had wine. The only time we ever got scolded for reaching for a glass was if it was before asking permission. 

Never got wasted in college. Not once. Never understood my high school/junior high buddies giggling over sneaking cheap ass bear. 

32 minutes ago, lomo6 said:

You can actually BYOB on Amatrak as well! (I love Amtrak). And you should look up your local commuter line - many allow it. 

I know that Metro-North normally allows beer and stuff, but they ban it on certain holidays to mitigate the number of rowdy drunks on the train (SantaCon, New Year's, St. Patrick's Day, I think maybe a couple of sporting events).

3 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I know that Metro-North normally allows beer and stuff, but they ban it on certain holidays to mitigate the number of rowdy drunks on the train (SantaCon, New Year's, St. Patrick's Day, I think maybe a couple of sporting events).

Hell, there are carts selling beer on the platforms at Grand Central!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived