IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

Catching up and just saw the posts about Jeremy's wine-approval announcement. Pretty surprising for a fundamentalist church. In my childhood fundamentalist Baptist church, any sort of drinking was condemned for everyone, and strictly banned for the deacons. I'm thinking maybe he did this because alcohol is a HUGE part of Mexican culture, and isn't Laredo practically on the border? He probably doesn't want to alienate his potential supporters while trying to grow his church. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

It was suspected that I had PCOS due to my ovarian cysts, but ovarian cysts aren't even required for the diagnosis anymore, despite the name, lol. And some people have PCOS with no cysts. The people I've known who actually had it were overweight, had facial hair, insulin resistance, elevated testosterone, etc. 

I'm just an unfortunate cyst- haver for no apparent reason. Apparently they aren't dangerous. Thought I was dying when it burst though. 

Ouch! My ovaries looked like raspberries, they were covered with little cysts. Doc took photos via laparoscopy, which was a newer procedure back then. I definitely struggled with weight, as I was 200 pounds at 13.

Hope your cysts aren't bothering you much these days.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:38 PM, Casserole said:

This is cute and made me LOL it's like Miss Congeniality "Describe your ideal date" question. It happens

May 5th, its not to hot and it its not too cold.  I laughed out loud, I'm sure that isn't the right date but you get it. 

10 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I really love these thread shifts. I was thinking with the older and married duggars with hopefully less limited internet access, they might be googling their own names and ending right here. Will they learn quite a bit? Will they start having respect for others? Or will they just be shocked about normal life and return to their prayer closet? At least they could have some access to the world, sheltered as they are i am afraid they will choose not to use it. 

I think they (well, the TLC producers and Boobchelle, if not the kids themselves) know about us already. So much of Counting on seemed to be a direct response to snarkers. Jana just takes care of kids and cleans up the house? She's an interior designer in the next episode. I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, but I know something like that has happened several times. Problem is, they think they're proving us wrong, but they're so clumsy and heavy-handed about it that we just laugh anyway :evil-laugh:

In my (extremely limited, not-at-all representative) experience with fundies on FJ, it's got a kind of sticking-their-fingers-in-their-ears-screaming-LALALALA vibe. I could have sworn that some fundie made an account here and realized they were in a cult or something... or did I dream that?

23 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

My sister is waiting to get a tubal (her daughter is 2 months old, and she was supposed to get it done right after she was born, but they kept having emergencies), anyway, she told me that they're going away from tying, burning, whatever it is they do now, to actually removing the tube completely. They also told her it reduces the risk of ovarian cancer too.

I observed a c-section/tubal as part of my last post doc. The OB said It was hospital policy to send a portion of every tube to pathology to confirm that it really is the tube. I thought that was interesting. He could easily recognize it, but it was a teaching hospital. Better to have it confirmed than to have a woman with a surprise pregnancy. 

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

May 5th, its not to hot and it its not too cold.  I laughed out loud, I'm sure that isn't the right date but you get it. 

April 25th. All you need is a light jacket: 

10 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Catching up and just saw the posts about Jeremy's wine-approval announcement. Pretty surprising for a fundamentalist church. In my childhood fundamentalist Baptist church, any sort of drinking was condemned for everyone, and strictly banned for the deacons. I'm thinking maybe he did this because alcohol is a HUGE part of Mexican culture, and isn't Laredo practically on the border? He probably doesn't want to alienate his potential supporters while trying to grow his church. 

The non fundy churches I attended with SB type leanings said drinking in moderation wasn't the problem, it was you never know what could be an addiction for you and turn you away from God. I can see that as a good reason for yourself, but I hate that they expect others to be that way as well. 

On 1/6/2017 at 6:13 PM, KelseyAnn said:

I don't mean to pry, but I have the same problem with heavy irregular bleeding and I was wondering what the side effects of meformin are?

God-awful nausea for some (me!). It is about the only thing--along with low-carbs--that makes me lose weight or even stop gaining weight (my thyroid is virtually non-functional)-- but I'd rather be fat than feel so sick all the time. But other people take it and even eat normally and it doesn't bother them.

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

April 25th. All you need is a light jacket: 

My wedding anniversary. It was perfect, too! I didn't need a light jacket, but I was also wearing a 20lb dress, so...

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The non fundy churches I attended with SB type leanings said drinking in moderation wasn't the problem, it was you never know what could be an addiction for you and turn you away from God. I can see that as a good reason for yourself, but I hate that they expect others to be that way as well. 

I guess none of these Quiver-full people count sex as an addiction. LOL!!!! 

3 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

God-awful nausea for some (me!). It is about the only thing--along with low-carbs--that makes me lose weight or even stop gaining weight (my thyroid is virtually non-functional)-- but I'd rather be fat than feel so sick all the time. But other people take it and even eat normally and it doesn't bother them.

First if you don't have it already, 3rd edition of the book Stop The Thyroid Madness. NDT (naturally dessicated thyroid ie Naturethroid, WP, or last resort Armour) if you can get a doc to prescribe it. Thyrovanz if you can't get a doc to write the script. Once you do that for a few weeks Holy Basil to help heal the adrenals. I've been hypo more than half my life and since I started this regimen I have energy again and my hair isn't falling out all the time. Night and day!!

I found it funny that when I had appendicitis my dad was in the ER with me. The doctor came in, saw my Dad, and was like "I have to ask, if you could be pregnant." My answer "No." He looked at me suspicously and was like "Do you want your Dad to leave?" I shook my head "No. It's not possible that I am pregnant. I have not had sex in months, have had a gynecologist appointment, have been told that I am not pregnant, oh and my periods are regular." Still did a pregnancy test. Which is fine. It's just funny. 

I don't know why they bother asking the pregnancy question if they are just going to run a test anyway.

I went to the ER in 2015 and before my husband arrived, the nurse did ask if I was safe at home. Not sure how she worded it. I think I was asked the morning of my c-section too but I can't recall.

None of my other doctors have ever asked. But at my ob/gyn's office in the bathroom (where you go to pee in a cup) there was a stack a pamphlets about domestic violence by the sink.

Healthcare workers are mandatory reporters for domestic violence and child abuse, and so it is a routine question to ask and in fact in some states it is law that it must be asked. 

As to Pregnancy tests,  well they typically ask so they can find out if the woman knows if she is or not, but they still run the test because not everyone tracks their cycles well enough to notice being a bit late and quite frankly,  many people lie.  Yes,  that isn't a politically correct answer, but after years of working in healthcare,  the truth is people lie or withhold the truth a ton.  I understand why they do, to some extent.  Obviously to some, those questions feel like an invasion of privacy, or some just like to be oppositional, or they are afraid they will get in trouble if they admit to something illegal.  Often times, if the person asking the question explains the reasons why we need to know the info, then you get more honest answers. 

For example if you ask about illegal drug use, people assume you are looking for illegal activity and might turn them in, when in truth the reason this is important is that street drugs could have bad interactions with meds that they might get in the ED or hospital.  Or if you know someone is abusing opiate medications like oxycontin, and they come in for a broken leg,  you may have to adjust how you prescribe pain meds to them, because they are going to have a higher tolerance.  Or if someone is abusing Steroids you need to know that because stopping those cold turkey is dangerous.  And if someone is routinely having 3 drinks or more daily, even just beer or wine,  they could be at risk for some withdrawal symptoms in the hospital. 

So the questions are not just about being nosy,  they actually have purpose.  As to domestic or child abuse,  Hospitals are mandated to screen for that.  Not fun, but important. 

I read on another thread something about Jeremy drinking a beer on NYE. Was that joke or did that really happen? If so, that is a HUGE departure from the Duggar brand of Gothardism.  I don't care if people drink or don't drink as that is a personal decision, but if Jeremy is having a beer now and then, then I have some hope that there will be other cultural differences in how he chooses to live that will impact Jinger, because no matter what, I still think Jeremy sees himself as headship and so does Jinger.  But if, as headship, he is secure enough to let Jinger grow and broaden her world view, that would be terrific.  Maybe we will really see a 'free-er Jinger" in the future.  Not as free as we had hoped, but more free than she was?

@calimojo, a quick question about your hospital (you sound like a healthcare worker)? Does your hospital kick co-worker spouses out of the room before asking the "safety question"? Mine does not. Like I would tell them anything with my spouse, who is their co-worker standing right there?!?

10 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@calimojo, a quick question about your hospital (you sound like a healthcare worker)? Does your hospital kick co-worker spouses out of the room before asking the "safety question"? Mine does not. Like I would tell them anything with my spouse, who is their co-worker standing right there?!?

Ours does not. We have a preadmissions RN who does assessments over the phone. Day of surgery we ask the pt if it is ok if the spouse, friend, neighbor stays in the room or if they'd rather have them wait in the waiting room. It has happened that when people don't want their SO to know something, they'll call ahead of time and let us know. Or they'll tell the preassessment RN and it gets passed on to us;) If we do ask they safety question, it is when the pt is alone or we defer until they are. 

@Snarkylark, the last time I was at our ER, I was covered with micro hemorrhages due to a bad drug reaction. However, intake didn't know that and cover in bruises with my husband (works at that hospital/involved with ER)standing right there-"Are you being abused?"! Stupid! (Sorry, it still makes mad).

Where did Jeremy say it was okay to drink wine/beer? I just went through the thread and I don't see the original mention. 

56 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Where did Jeremy say it was okay to drink wine/beer? I just went through the thread and I don't see the original mention. 

It was one of his sermons, before Christmas I think.  He said it was OK for women to wear pants and for Christians to drink wine.  Don't remember his mentioning beer but that may probably be inferred.

31 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

It was one of his sermons, before Christmas I think.  He said it was OK for women to wear pants and for Christians to drink wine.  Don't remember his mentioning beer but that may probably be inferred.

What a weirdly specific sermon. "Yes, you can wear pants and drink wine." Uh..thanks for mansplaining. 

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

What a weirdly specific sermon. "Yes, you can wear pants and drink wine." Uh..thanks for mansplaining. 

I think that part of the sermon was about not being too literal, can't remember the exact word, in interpreting the bible and not to get hung up on certain rules.  Someone please help me here.  Speculation here that Jinger is wearing pants and they like to have a glass of wine with dinner, or he may be trying to appeal to his congregants.

I think that part of the sermon was about not being too literal, can't remember the exact word, in interpreting the bible and not to get hung up on certain rules.  Someone please help me here.  Speculation here that Jinger is wearing pants and they like to have a glass of wine with dinner, or he may be trying to appeal to his congregants.

It's the "I'm totally not a freak show" sermon.

I think it was an anti-legalism sermon.  It could be interpreted as anti-Gothard or in your face Jim Bob.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived