IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, xlurker said:

@PennySycamore  I Love male hairdressers!  And he prob cut it wet because he understood curly hair bounces/ shrinks ALOT!  LOL  Dont understand why so many hairdressers can't get that thru their heads :)  Can always take a bit more off, but can't put it back on

I love male hairdressers as well! I feel like they don't tire out as quickly lol. Upper arm strength. 

My hair is super curly and unmanageable so I'm thinking about getting keratin straightening, has anyone tried that? 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

I love male hairdressers as well! I feel like they don't tire out as quickly lol. Upper arm strength. 

My hair is super curly and unmanageable so I'm thinking about getting keratin straightening, has anyone tried that? 

My mom's done it a million times. It works for a while, but has to be redone eventually. And you need sulfate free shampoo

Hopping into the no-poo discussion- I tried the baking soda and vinegar method. I think I lasted a grand total of three weeks. It was awful, it made my hair feel awful, and I definitely did not see any kind of results period. I've since gone back to normal shampoo & conditioner but I'm interested in going organic if anyone has any good brand suggestions! 

I have thick medium length wavy hair & when I get it cut it NEEDS to be texturized to take weight out. I have to have some shape to it or else I second the previous poster who said they'd look like a poodle. I can relate.

My hair is impossible. I've also tried the no-poo regime and it just makes my hair extra tangled and weird, so I just wash and condition it every day. For reference, I have really thick and curly hair.

8 hours ago, emscm said:

Hopping into the no-poo discussion- I tried the baking soda and vinegar method. I think I lasted a grand total of three weeks. It was awful, it made my hair feel awful, and I definitely did not see any kind of results period. I've since gone back to normal shampoo & conditioner but I'm interested in going organic if anyone has any good brand suggestions! 

I have thick medium length wavy hair & when I get it cut it NEEDS to be texturized to take weight out. I have to have some shape to it or else I second the previous poster who said they'd look like a poodle. I can relate.

I use Organix. My hair is straight and fine and regular shampoo forces me to wash it daily. With the Organix stuff I can actually go a day or two in between. Walgreens often has buy one get one free sales on them, so I get my shampoo and my conditioner for $7. I've tried both their Biotin and their Keratin oil so far with great results.

Organix is my family's new favorite shampoo brand and we were very surprised with how well it worked in our 4c textured hair too.

I did no poo for a while in the pnw. It made my curls bouncy and soft and last for days without any product. As long as i measured. If i got the ratios off, it was bad, either brittle and strawlike (too much baking soda) or greasy and flat (too much vinegar). When i moved somewhere with harder water, it was both brittle and flat. The worst. I use cheapo shampoo/conditioner and product for my curls and waves. It works but i don't think I've found my ultimate method yet.

8 hours ago, FJismyheadship said:

I use Organix. My hair is straight and fine and regular shampoo forces me to wash it daily. With the Organix stuff I can actually go a day or two in between. Walgreens often has buy one get one free sales on them, so I get my shampoo and my conditioner for $7. I've tried both their Biotin and their Keratin oil so far with great results.

They have so many options, which Organix do you use?  I have straight fine hair that gets greasy if I go more than 24 hours without showering, so I have to shampoo every day as well.

On 1/31/2017 at 7:23 AM, emscm said:

Lush does a nice shampoo bar, fairly sure it is organic. That's what I use in my hair.

I have also tried the no poo method and after a week and a half my mother told me if I didn't wash it she would.  I have oily roots as it is.  I wash every 2-3 days now. 

I tried no-poo and it was no good on my wavy-curly hair. We just started using the coconut Organix based on this board (Thanks FJ) and I'm liking it so far. I want to try several of their shampoo/conditioner combos to find one that works well for my whole family. 

Loving this thread drift :562479718b07b_ElectricSlideboogie:

When I saw this morning that there were new posts in this thread, my first thoughts were that Jinger and Jeremy had finally come out of their cave and shared some (exiting) news with the world - such as a pregnancy announcement, or a picture of a de-Jessafied living room (to stick it in her face :my_biggrin:), or a picture of Jinger wearing clothes Jim B would have a hard time approving of (oh how I'd love that!), or just any news at all. I'm curious. 

Personally, I am glad that the Vuolos are quiet and apparently spendt the holidays with Jeremy's family.

For thick/curly hair, I love the knot today and sheamoisture products. They both have sulfat-free shampoos and a wide range of conditioners. I prefer leave-in conditioners.

If we're giving out hair advice, does anyone have a recommendation for a scrunching product for 2B wavy hair? I use Foxy Curls from bedhead, which I like because it doesn't make it look crunchy like mouse does, but sometimes it doesn't hold the wave/curls very well.

Also a 2B, and I was just thinking this morning that I should post to find out if anyone has a good product recommendation for just keeping my hair not frizzy. 

I don't scrunch so I can't recommend anything for that, but I do feel like every time I wear my hair wavy it's a hot mess. All I want is something that tames the frizz & doesn't look hard & crunchy. I'm usually a blow dry/straighten/or curling wand girl so styling my actual waves is beyond me. 

Has anyone here tried those Function of Beauty custom shampoos? You go on the website and tell them what kind of hair you have and what your hair goals are, pick a scent and color, and they send you a completely custom shampoo and conditioner set. I've always had problems with buildup, whether I washed my hair every day or went no-poo, so maybe this would actually help. It's sulfate and paraben free, and you can get it delivered regularly. It sounds too good to be true. Could be a revolution in hair care, or it could just be a gimmick. Not sure. I'd like to know before I drop almost fifty bucks on two 16 oz bottles. It's not horrifically expensive compared to salon and professional, but it's more than double than my usual brand.

8 minutes ago, emscm said:

Also a 2B, and I was just thinking this morning that I should post to find out if anyone has a good product recommendation for just keeping my hair not frizzy. 

I don't scrunch so I can't recommend anything for that, but I do feel like every time I wear my hair wavy it's a hot mess. All I want is something that tames the frizz & doesn't look hard & crunchy. I'm usually a blow dry/straighten/or curling wand girl so styling my actual waves is beyond me. 

we must be twins! i'm probably more slightly 2A actually. But natural curls = hot mess. Blow drying straight is def easiest. Or curling wand, which doesn't embrace the natural wave and def looks more artificial on me.

I have a question about hair care in general that I hope doesn't come off as insensitive. In real life, I'm a black woman with a perm that makes my hair more or less straight. I get it washed every other week and a retouch about every two months at a salon. Is it considered standard procedure more or less in other ethnicities to wash your hair everyday? I honestly could not imagine washing my hair by myself every single day, but I understand that different types of hair require different hair care regiments.

2 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I have a question about hair care in general that I hope doesn't come off as insensitive. In real life, I'm a black woman with a perm that makes my hair more or less straight. I get it washed every other week and a retouch about every two months at a salon. Is it considered standard procedure more or less in other ethnicities to wash your hair everyday? I honestly could not imagine washing my hair by myself every single day, but I understand that different types of hair require different hair care regiments.

I'm white with a British background - hair is curly/wavy (2c/3a), and I wash my hair 2x/week or so.

I find it shampooing every day dries my hair out, but also, my hair is quite thick and as I don't use a hair dryer, it takes hours for my hair to dry.  I would usually just refresh my curls or use dry shampoo on non-wash days.

18 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I'm white, and I do need to wash my hair at least every other day if not every day. My roots get very greasy very quickly because of a combination of my hair type and the fact that I play with my hair constantly especially as a nervous habit. 

I'm white and I wash my hair everyday. I could probably go every other day but I use a cream gel everyday.

49 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

White girl with wavy thick hair here. I have to wash it every other day, i have greasy roots and touch my hair way too much. It takes lots of mental preparation for me to get in the shower some days, if I had to do it more often i'd buy a wig and call it a day :pb_lol:

I think I should add that pretty much everyone I know wash their hairs every two days or so. Probably there'si a cultural factor to it

White as the virgin snow here. Most people I knew growing up washed their hair every day, regardless of hair type. When I say I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, the general reaction is politely-veiled surprise and disgust (I've had one person wrinkle her nose and say, "that's disgusting." I do not like this person). A roommate of mine took three showers a day. That's just terrible for your skin/hair (unless it's a medical necessity or something). So @Cleopatra7, you don't come off as insensitive at all. Different hair types require different things.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived