IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

I have jad hair from super short to long and I prefer mine long. i rock the silver fox look as I have been growing grey since my teens. Most people cant pull it off but I manage

.most of the time when i say im gping to colour it I get yelled at...lol. I jave a round face and very straight hair so short doednt do much for except make me look like my brother...

I also find long hair coller is summer as I will pin it up and it stays coolerprobably due to air pockets!!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the first pic I posted I think I was umm...45-ish? It was my stepdaughter's wedding...the little angels in front of me are my granddaughters. You can see one doesn't have a hair out of place and the other one has messy hair and no shoes. The second picture was taken when we lived in AZ...so I was umm...50-ish? 

I have bangs/whatever shorter hair in front just because without it I look old and even fatter and uglier. 

10 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

Exfoliating the scalp goes a long way to improving clarity, lift (not true volume, but not plastered to the head, either) and shine.

I dampen my hair, slather my scalp with any conditioner- cheap stuff's okay here, then using damp fingertips, tap into a small dish of plain table sugar (you can use other types, as long as they're granular, not powdered). Massage gently all over scalp, re-dipping as sugar dissolves. If it feels gritty, you've got it, but be kind!

Wow great idea, I have a dry scalp so I wonder if the will help me! I exfoliate the rest of my body so why not my scalp? 

Ladies, ladies... For those of you with long curly hair, please don't visit New Orleans. If the heat doesn't kill you our humidity will.  It's a well known fact that your hair will either shrink up a few inches or you'll look like Bozo the Clown if the humidity is high (and it usually is) LOL

Same here in Alabama or any state close to the Gulf of Mexico.

2 hours ago, elliha said:

She wants to go to one that has a car you can sit in when they cut the child's hair

I used to cut kid's hair in cars, trains, and on horses and motorcycles! :)  Takes a special hairdresser to work with kids....and just a side note, being a fantastic "adult" hairdresser doesn't necessarily mean being a fantastic child's hairdresser.  Took me about 5 mins to realize that when I started with kids.  They, and their hair, are very different then their grown up counterparts.

Longer hair for me is easier.  My hair is thick with waves that make styling it when short harder.  I wash about every 4 days and my hair is very healthy.  In the summer, I do it more often if I have been outside and sweating. 

I recently started to use that shampoo that Jennifer Aniston is associated with.  I forget the name, but I got it at Ulta.  It was fairly pricey and I bought the small bottle just to try it and I have to say after about a month, I am hooked on it.  My hair stays cleaner another 1-2 days with this shampoo and it if I am wearing it straight,  it holds the straightness from day to day with no touch ups.  I haven't done curls with it, or let my hair do its own thing so I am not sure if it would enhance my waves or make them frizzy.  But for thick hair, wearing it straight and wanting to wash as little as possible while still feeling, looking and smelling clean,  this shampoo/conditioner works great.

3 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Wow great idea, I have a dry scalp so I wonder if the will help me! I exfoliate the rest of my body so why not my scalp? 

It ought to improve moisture retention, just as it does on skin elsewhere. When you remove the layer of dead skin cells, product penetrates instead of sitting on top of that layer.

It also increases circulation and cell turnover. Good stuff!

On 1/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, MargaretElliott said:

Personally, I'd advise against the baking soda no-poo movement. They advocate baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. It does work for some people, really well. But while the vinegar can be a great hair rinse, baking soda can be HELLA HARSH. Harsher than some shampoos. So just throwing that out there.

My grandmother said that when she was young she had beautiful long hair but her mother made them wash their hair with Fels Naptha.  If you know what that is, you'd be as horrified as me because that stuff is so harsh. I rarely see it around anymore (she was a teen around 1920) but it is this strong laundry soap.  Apparently gentler soaps in the liquid form weren't around at that time.

24 minutes ago, Lizzybet said:

It ought to improve moisture retention, just as it does on skin elsewhere. When you remove the layer of dead skin cells, product penetrates instead of sitting on top of that layer.

It also increases circulation and cell turnover. Good stuff!

This is very helpful, thank you! I'm having major dry scalp issues this winter. 

Does the exfoliant damaget the hair at all though?

My Hairy Life, by MJB

Teen years, when board-straight was in: wavy. 

Now: board-straight. 

Solution: perm. 

MJB mood: grateful!

19 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

My Hairy Life, by MJB

Teen years, when board-straight was in: wavy. 

Now: board-straight. 

Solution: perm. 

MJB mood: grateful!

My aunt grew up back when perms were in style (I mean like super curly perms). She, however, has naturally curly hair. Despite this, she wanted a perm sooo badly so she could fit in and be like "I got a perm!" That she begged her mom to pay for a perm as a birthday present, which her mom did. It made basically no difference to her hair :giggle:

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

This is very helpful, thank you! I'm having major dry scalp issues this winter. 

Does the exfoliant damaget the hair at all though?

Unless hair is so fragile that any handling would cause damage, I'd think no. The conditioner creates 'slip' and because you're using sugar, it's liquefying as you proceed.

20 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I grew up near Virginia Beach, VA. Where it's so humid, you need gills to breathe in the summer. Where it feels like you've wrapped yourself in a wool blanket soaked in hot water all summer. Where I'd wash my hair at night before I went to bed and would wake up with it still wet. I swear I don't think my hair actually dried completely from about May to late September. ....

Oh, @feministxtian, you have distilled life in humidity to the ultimate of descriptions.  

I think I'll print this out and pin it on my closet door, come the first heat wave. It won't make things any better except to remind me I have company in my misery…those who live, or have lived, in high heat and humidity.  

FWIW, thank you. 

PS: I ask my stylist to cut my hair to the nape of my neck every May, and then to texturize it. Otherwise, not only do I risk a heat rash but I wind up wanting to run headlong into the first pool I see and stay there forever or until the homeowners drain it for winter.

And apparently there are laws against such behavior in So. Illinois. Who knew? The spoilsports. 

@calimojo I also tried Living Proof, and I liked it (it is sulfite and paraben free!) but then I tried New Wash by Hair Story and it's been life changing (and I hate that term). It is not shampoo, but it also isn't like co-washing. Anyway, it was created by the founder of Bumble & Bumble and it is a single product that re-balances hair oils (mine were super out of whack). 

I also like to exfoliate my scalp (my skin does not slough off naturally like it does for most people) and what I've done is put some of the New Wash into another container with sea salt. I'm also considering switching to sugar b/c I think the salt might be stripping oils.

Weighing in on the hair thing. I've had hair from a pixie cut to below my butt. The pixie cut was horrible and I'm thankful my hair grows quickly. I have very thick, corse hair that can't make up its mind sometimes it is wavy and sometimes it is straight. I do best with longer hair than short. Short required so much more work than longer hair. My mother's theory with hair was it will grow out. I was never told I couldn't do anything with my hair. She even wanted to make sure I knew that dying my hair was OK so she scheduled me a highlight just before she passed away. No one else in my 8th grade class had dyed hair but mine hasn't been it's natural color since. 

On 1/20/2017 at 2:54 AM, feministxtian said:

I grew up near Virginia Beach, VA. Where it's so humid, you need gills to breathe in the summer. Where it feels like you've wrapped yourself in a wool blanket soaked in hot water all summer. Where I'd wash my hair at night before I went to bed and would wake up with it still wet. I swear I don't think my hair actually dried completely from about May to late September. The first pic is me and grandgirls at my stepdaughter's wedding...in August in Yorktown VA. Second is me when we lived in PHX. Same hair...

august in VA hair.jpg

desert hair.jpg

I know the post is about your hair, which looks perfectly fine by the way, but those girls are soooo cute!!

15 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I barely know women older than a certain age, about 40, who have longer hair. I have the impression the older women get the shorter get their hair.  I have always wondered what i will do after i have crossed this invisible age line. 

I never had my hair longer than my shoulders but  now and then i want to have longer hair. The only reason for this is because i want to do all these beautiful hairstyles with braids and curls and different versions of ponytails. But once my hair got long enough i am simply not able to make those :cry:. Than i am annoyed, the only hairstyle i can do is a normal ponytail, and it does not take long until i will make an appointment with my coiffeur. 

Part of it is just style.  Longer hair is just associated with younger age, the same way maybe tube tops and short-shorts are.  You could wear them at 45 but most people don't.  Another thing I've noticed on me, when I was young and very skinny i had long very straight waist-length hair, it sort of matched my body.  Now that I'm older and heavier the long straight hair doesn't "match" and makes me look lopsided so I finally cut it.  I really hated to see it go, but well BTDT, I already did all the braids and twists and stuff, time for something new.

34 minutes ago, anotherone said:

Part of it is just style.  Longer hair is just associated with younger age, the same way maybe tube tops and short-shorts are.  You could wear them at 45 but most people don't.  Another thing I've noticed on me, when I was young and very skinny i had long very straight waist-length hair, it sort of matched my body.  Now that I'm older and heavier the long straight hair doesn't "match" and makes me look lopsided so I finally cut it.  I really hated to see it go, but well BTDT, I already did all the braids and twists and stuff, time for something new.

How interesting to compare long hair to tube tops and short shorts. That's not something I could ever have thought to equate.

As to cultural change, Women did sometimes have shorter hair 200 years ago, but I think it was during flapper time that long hair was first actually rejected. It was about being free and independent. But during the second world war, it was practical for factory work and nursing. I think women of that era are the first who wore short hair purposefully as they aged, and so the baby boomers grew up seeing that as a step in the maturing process, rather than the choice of a generation. It's a loose working theory, but I hadn't thought to factor in teenage clothing choices of the early-mid 70s.

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

In the first pic I posted I think I was umm...45-ish? It was my stepdaughter's wedding...the little angels in front of me are my granddaughters. You can see one doesn't have a hair out of place and the other one has messy hair and no shoes. The second picture was taken when we lived in AZ...so I was umm...50-ish? 

I have bangs/whatever shorter hair in front just because without it I look old and even fatter and uglier. 

We may get rather snarky on others but WE MUST NEVER PUT OURSELVES DOWN.  Repeat that whenever you feel a tad out of sorts.  I never refer to myself as fat  or old or ugly because in my eyes I am the most beautiful person in the world.

I have worn my hair micro short for over thirty years. It is sassy and cool, and has been in a myriad of styles. It suits my little egg shaped head and delicate features, which get overwhelmed by too much hair. I have tried growing it out a few times, but nope.

I go to the salon every two weeks and have been doing so since 1992 (same shop). I do little to nothing in between. My hairdresser just had a hysterectomy and will be out for at least six weeks, not sure what imma do. I've been reading the dry shampoo comments with interest.

I get custom color and have a chemical relaxer, making professional care a must. DD has long, thick, wavy hair and a million products.

IMG_20161127_100633.jpg

IMG_20170121_085526.jpg

5 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

We may get rather snarky on others but WE MUST NEVER PUT OURSELVES DOWN.  Repeat that whenever you feel a tad out of sorts.  I never refer to myself as fat  or old or ugly because in my eyes I am the most beautiful person in the world.

I've always been told that I'm not attractive...my father's favorite "joke" was "we went to the hospital to get a baby but all we could afford was a 'thing' called Caroline". Yeah..that'll fuck you up as a kid. So, I've accepted that I'm butt-ass ugly and that's that. 

7 hours ago, anotherone said:

I know the post is about your hair, which looks perfectly fine by the way, but those girls are soooo cute!!

Oh yeah...they're MUCH older now. The bigger one is beautiful...the little one is still just as cute as a button. I think you can tell who's the diva and who's the mess there. They haven't changed much. 

That's awful, @feministxtian.  What a terrible thing for a parent to say!  Like 99.99% of us you'll likely not win Miss Universe, but you're definitely not butt ugly!    You're not ugly at all.  You're just fine.  Believe it, put your father's voice out of your head.

@feministxtian your dad was wrong. Weirdly you look like you could be in my family. You're the spitting image of 2 of my cousins. Both attractive, vivacious women. Def not ugly.

I do often feel that way about myself but it's mainly because I photograph badly and if my hair is long in pics I look like Bobby Sands (IRA hunger striker from the 80s). But objectively I know I'm not ugly. Just not model attractive. In fact I don't think I know anyone who is actually ugly. Though I know people who are good-looking but I can't really see it because they have personalities that I find unattractive.

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I've always been told that I'm not attractive...my father's favorite "joke" was "we went to the hospital to get a baby but all we could afford was a 'thing' called Caroline". Yeah..that'll fuck you up as a kid. So, I've accepted that I'm butt-ass ugly and that's that. 

Oh yeah...they're MUCH older now. The bigger one is beautiful...the little one is still just as cute as a button. I think you can tell who's the diva and who's the mess there. They haven't changed much. 

You are NOT butt ass ugly or ugly at all. You look just fine! Our childhood experiences can fuck up our self esteem, but please understand that your dad was completely out of order.

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

You are NOT butt ass ugly or ugly at all. You look just fine! Our childhood experiences can fuck up our self esteem, but please understand that your dad was completely out of order.

Too bad your father couldn't see his ugly, ugly heart.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived