IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

Guess I'll contribute to the thread drift with my own hair care fun times:

So my hair is relatively thick and wavy, and right now, it's the longest it's been (just about shoulderblade-length) since I was 13; for the past 12 years I've been sort of on-and-off with different styles (pixies, bobs, lobs, longer cuts), and now I'm at that tipping point where I have to decide if I'll just keep it where it is and just shape/trim it a bit, or go for a bob again. I do like having it long, but it is a pain in the butt sometimes, and if I decide to color it (which I've only done once and that was just a single streak), it will be more expensive.

As for what I do with it, basically I alternate shampoo + conditioner (I buy OGX since it's pretty cheap and doesn't have sulfates) and just conditioner during the week, and add a bit of dry shampoo if I want some texture or volume. I almost never blow-dry or flatiron, mostly because I'm too lazy.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exfoliating the scalp goes a long way to improving clarity, lift (not true volume, but not plastered to the head, either) and shine.

I dampen my hair, slather my scalp with any conditioner- cheap stuff's okay here, then using damp fingertips, tap into a small dish of plain table sugar (you can use other types, as long as they're granular, not powdered). Massage gently all over scalp, re-dipping as sugar dissolves. If it feels gritty, you've got it, but be kind!

Then give a good rinse and cleanse/condition as you normally would.this could also be a good time to deep condition if needed.

Never do this before a chemical process, and be mindful of other factors that might affect the newly revealed skin there. 

If I remember correctly, a really famous celebrity hairstylist from the fifties, Raymond Bessone, was the one who popularized the thought that women above a certain age (I think he said something ridiculously young, like 25 or something) shouldn't have hair past their shoulders. My mom still heartily believes that but I think women (well, all people) should wear their hair however they want to.  

(I can even cite my source: Stuff You Missed In History podcast) 

21 minutes ago, sparklymagie said:

If I remember correctly, a really famous celebrity hairstylist from the fifties, Raymond Bessone, was the one who popularized the thought that women above a certain age (I think he said something ridiculously young, like 25 or something) shouldn't have hair past their shoulders. My mom still heartily believes that but I think women (well, all people) should wear their hair however they want to.  

It'si worst, he said only Girls under 20 should have long hair. I guess ir should go cut it and nevera part it on the middle :pb_lol:

I dont ever recommend the baking soda no poo method as baking soda is very caustic and drying. I have long grey hair and I wash about once a week with VO5 products I condition only the ends and rinse with a vingar water rinse. I use a boar bristle brush as well as a metal dog one with a metal comb. Plastic combs as static builders as well as wooden ones for me. I will add corn starch to my hair and brush it out to remove excess oil. Most people expect my hair to be coarse as it is grey but its very soft. I also oil with coconut oil lightly and once a month i will satuarate my hair and leave it in either all day or night and wash it out the next day. My hair doesnt break as much as it used to.

While we're on the topic of hair, I have a question. When I was really little, my hair was very straight and fine. From the time I was five, my hair was definitely curly/wavy. I'm 45 now. After my hair had grown to approximately my bra strap and was quite curly, I recently had it cut to just above my chin. Now my hair is mostly straight. I've had it this length before, but it still curled. I've never been pregnant either. Has anyone else experienced this?

I do no-poo 99% of the time. I have very fine, thin hair and have issues with hair loss due to low thyroid. Also get balayage to dye those greys away so I need to be super careful with it. I use Herbal Essence Cleansing Conditioner, just that, and once every 8-10 days use a purple shampoo and conditioner that my stylist recommended to keep the color fresh. I "wash" every day, but then again, I had to before I gave up shampoo due to it also being greasy. 

I think the "long hair or not" depends on your facial structure. My aunt, now nearly 80, has had shoulder length hair or longer her entire life. She pulls it back with a rubber band into a single ponytail. No bangs, no curls to soften her very narrow, oval face. She looks like a horse. 

I kept my hair long until my mid 30s, because it was easy to flip up into a french twist, to keep under a nursing cap (I earned the damn thing, I wore it) or the OR style caps when I worked in a trauma center. After that, I had a shoulder or chin length bob. I started looking horsey around 45, and pixie'd it. That's the way it remains.

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

While we're on the topic of hair, I have a question. When I was really little, my hair was very straight and fine. From the time I was five, my hair was definitely curly/wavy. I'm 45 now. After my hair had grown to approximately my bra strap and was quite curly, I recently had it cut to just above my chin. Now my hair is mostly straight. I've had it this length before, but it still curled. I've never been pregnant either. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hormonal changes are often a factor in changing hair. Menopause? I went from straight to soft waves when I hit puberty. Now my hair is long enough for the waves to be almost invisible but they are definitely there with a shorter hair style and I will see curls around my hairline if it is humid regardless of length. 

2 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

My mom is a big advocate of short hair, for everyone. Her mom was like that and most of the women in my family, with 3  exceptions, have hair shoulder length or shorter.  I prefer to take after my mother in law, the silver fox She's 76 and her hair still hangs down to the small of her back. She usually wears in a pony tail or in a bun when out and abut, but leaves it in a big braid for doing stuff around the house. She gives exactly ZERO fucks what anyone thinks about it and I want to be her when I grow up. 

7 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I grew up near Virginia Beach, VA. Where it's so humid, you need gills to breathe in the summer. Where it feels like you've wrapped yourself in a wool blanket soaked in hot water all summer. Where I'd wash my hair at night before I went to bed and would wake up with it still wet. I swear I don't think my hair actually dried completely from about May to late September. The first pic is me and grandgirls at my stepdaughter's wedding...in August in Yorktown VA. Second is me when we lived in PHX. Same hair...

august in VA hair.jpg

desert hair.jpg

Your hair looks like my hair! Hair buddies!!!! I live in NYC now, if I ever figure out a good way to manage my hair I will let you know.

40 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I think the "long hair or not" depends on your facial structure. My aunt, now nearly 80, has had shoulder length hair or longer her entire life. She pulls it back with a rubber band into a single ponytail. No bangs, no curls to soften her very narrow, oval face. She looks like a horse. 

I kept my hair long until my mid 30s, because it was easy to flip up into a french twist, to keep under a nursing cap (I earned the damn thing, I wore it) or the OR style caps when I worked in a trauma center. After that, I had a shoulder or chin length bob. I started looking horsey around 45, and pixie'd it. That's the way it remains.

I agree. My 80YO mom is very, very thin and her long hair just pulls her face down and makes her look older, IMO- 

I have dark brown thin fine hair where my roots often get oily but the tips get dry. I was every other day mostly (sometimes every 3rd day) and I rely hardcore on dry shampoo. I spray all throughout my roots at night before bed and work through with my hands. The next morning my hair looks fresh. I never use dry shampoo in the morning/before going out and I find it works best for me that way. It also doesn't matter that it turns my hair white at night, since I'm just going to sleep, and I never find it white the next morning

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

It'si worst, he said only Girls under 20 should have long hair. I guess ir should go cut it and nevera part it on the middle :pb_lol:

Ah yes! I just remember it being almost offensively young.  

I don't have the guts to try no-pooing of any variety. :pb_lol: I will say though that as of about a year ago, I switched to shampooing every other day and touching up with dry shampoo because my already fine hair was starting to thin. (I'm told this is normal in *ahem* ladies of my age/normal with the pretty extreme dieting I was doing.) The time it saves is incredible! I also use women's rogaine and that's helped too. 

10 hours ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Ladies, ladies... For those of you with long curly hair, please don't visit New Orleans. If the heat doesn't kill you our humidity will.  It's a well known fact that your hair will either shrink up a few inches or you'll look like Bozo the Clown if the humidity is high (and it usually is) LOL

Weirdly enough, my hair has never looked better than the weekend I spent in New Orleans. The humidity helped my hair retain some moisture and left me with perfect, bouncy curls from shower to sheets!

IMG_0916.JPG

I think I'll have long hair forever... (i'm almost 40) and I have a very square jaw and lots of cheeks ( I look young for my age, get carded regularly). I had a shorter 'do in my 20s', maybe it was the cut, but I hated it and hated the look too. Shoulder length makes me look 12 also.

I hated every hair cut, perm, set, rag curls and bang trim that was forced on me as a child.  Straight and wispy textured hair was never meant to fit some ideal of bouncy ringlets.

I am over 60 and I still have issues with haircuts. I delay them long as possible then negotiate every fraction of an inch to trim the  ends of my dyed below shoulder lenght hair.  

I was very respectful of my daughters hair and my mom and aunts were forbidden to touch it.   My mom cut then curled her bangs once while babysitting and I cut off her access to my daughter for months.

My hair texture  changed to coarser and wavy with gray hair, and I starting seeing silver hair in high school.  The last few years  I wash it twice a week during the winter, very little shampoo and lots of conditioner finger combed through before rinsing, air dry of possible   Summer washing is more frequent.

My mom and aunts all had the short bubble type hair, with weekly wash and sets and tortured me constantly from my mid twentys to get an age appropriate short hair cut.

I live in NYC and see a lot of  orthodox jewish women that must cover their hair with wigs and/or a hat and muslim women that must have hair covered from prepuberty.  As with the fundy christians that seem to demand hair control over their daughters and wives, women's hair in conservative religions is a statement to me of the lack of status of women.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I am over 60 and I still have issues with haircuts. I delay them long as possible then negotiate every fraction of an inch to trim the  ends of my dyed below shoulder lenght hair.

I am with you on delaying hair cuts as much as possible. My mother made me cut my hair above my shoulders ever single summer stating, "It's light for the hot weather." You know what is lighter? Being able to put your hair up and no having to deal with frizz. 

And it's not only that, it's going to the hairdresser and hoping things turn out alright. I keep meaning to get my hair cut and I was it shorter but then I know I wll regret it. I'll ponder a bit longer. ;)

No matter the age, seven years old to seventy-seven, I think ALL children should have a say in their hair. Afterall, it belongs to their body. Even if they don't take care of it, I don't think it's right to just lop off several inches of hair to 'teach them a lesson.' 

I remember NEVER being allowed to cut my hair, not even to trim it, no matter how old I got. 

A woman's hair was her glory, and I wasn't to tamper with it. 

Well, I had got sick of that and in ninth grade I let a friend chop off a good eight inches. 

My mother was furious but it was my hair, and it would grow back after all. 

I just don't understand why people think they have the rights to dictate how other people wear their hair. It doesn't hurt anybody. 

Thankfully my mom did let me decide what I wanted to do with my hair, but I still often felt guilty. She has very thin hair and has never been able to grow it past the top of her shoulders. I think she was trying to live through me by wanting me to keep mine long. She always commented on how she loved my long hair and why would I want to cut it....made it hard to ask for haircuts even though she would take me if I did, after the why's and are you sures. Thankfully by the time I was 16 she got over it and started letting me dye and cut however I pleased. I usually end up growing it out for 1-2 years then chopping it into a bob. 

I barely know women older than a certain age, about 40, who have longer hair. I have the impression the older women get the shorter get their hair.  I have always wondered what i will do after i have crossed this invisible age line. 

I never had my hair longer than my shoulders but  now and then i want to have longer hair. The only reason for this is because i want to do all these beautiful hairstyles with braids and curls and different versions of ponytails. But once my hair got long enough i am simply not able to make those :cry:. Than i am annoyed, the only hairstyle i can do is a normal ponytail, and it does not take long until i will make an appointment with my coiffeur. 

17 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

No matter the age, seven years old to seventy-seven, I think ALL children should have a say in their hair. Afterall, it belongs to their body. Even if they don't take care of it, I don't think it's right to just lop off several inches of hair to 'teach them a lesson.' 

I remember NEVER being allowed to cut my hair, not even to trim it, no matter how old I got. 

A woman's hair was her glory, and I wasn't to tamper with it. 

Well, I had got sick of that and in ninth grade I let a friend chop off a good eight inches. 

My mother was furious but it was my hair, and it would grow back after all. 

I just don't understand why people think they have the rights to dictate how other people wear their hair. It doesn't hurt anybody. 

When my daughter was about 3,5 years old she told me she wanted to have long hair, before that I kept it relatively short. I said OK but that meant she would need to brush it too and not leave it looking like a bird's nest. She was OK with that and now  about  a year later it is quite long (below her shoulders at least). She wants to go to a real hairdresser and I have said OK to it this autumn (when I am no longer on maternity leave and can afford things like going to the hairdresser). She wants to go to one that has a car you can sit in when they cut the child's hair (it is really a men's salon but I assume they can cut a simple hairdo on a girl too because I think she will not compromise on the car bit). I will let her do that then, so far I have cut her hair myself. I cut my own hair too but hope to go to a salon this autumn too.

The little girl across the street is about 7 years old.  She had very long blond hair but she wanted it cut before school starts.  Her Mum used this as a learning moment and the little girl learned that not everyone has hair, so she donated her hair to be made into a wig.  Good on her Mum.

19 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I barely know women older than a certain age, about 40, who have longer hair. I have the impression the older women get the shorter get their hair.  I have always wondered what i will do after i have crossed this invisible age line. 

I never had my hair longer than my shoulders but  now and then i want to have longer hair. The only reason for this is because i want to do all these beautiful hairstyles with braids and curls and different versions of ponytails. But once my hair got long enough i am simply not able to make those :cry:. Than i am annoyed, the only hairstyle i can do is a normal ponytail, and it does not take long until i will make an appointment with my coiffeur. 

I'm 51. If someone tried to cut my hair other than to take out a little weight, I would stab them with the scissors. It's thick and wavy and I look like a poodle if it's at or above my shoulders. A man poodle. In my teens and early 20s I could wear it in somewhat shorter asymmetrical styles, though.

I wear it up most of the time, to be honest. But that still looks better than if it was bushed around my shoulders or neck. I never blow it dry, and just put it in a braid most of the time before I sleep. That actually makes it straighter the next day after hair washing night, if I comb through it and brush the sides and ends.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived