IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

4 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Hi @lomo6! I don't know what your hair situation is, but I have pretty thin, dry, wavy hair. I don't use any products (other than shampoo or conditioner) or heat styling. I'd start with increasing hair-washing intervals to every three days, then when that remains relatively clean, every four days, etc. Braids are your friend. I don't work out per se, but I do a lot of manual labor in the summer, and it gets HOT. If my hair is too sweaty, I like to do a thorough scalp massage under cool water, and let it air dry. That feels really good after a hot, sweaty day! I also use hair oil on the ends whenever I get it wet. That's just my experience, experiment and see what you like!

Personally, I'd advise against the baking soda no-poo movement. They advocate baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. It does work for some people, really well. But while the vinegar can be a great hair rinse, baking soda can be HELLA HARSH. Harsher than some shampoos. So just throwing that out there.

Jumping in on the 'no' to 'no poo' advice. I tried it and LOVED the results for about four or five weeks. My hair was super shiny, bouncy/full of movement. Gradually it started to feel and look 'hollow' (for lack of a better word) but I kept at it, hoping my hair would adjust once more, and I'd get those same good results. It never happened, and I spent at least a month or more, just getting it to feel healthy again.

I do think it could be beneficial if done a few times a year, especially if there's product buildup or your hair needs a good shaking up for whatever reason.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can alternate between co-washing (conditioner washing) and shampooing to remove buildup for curlier/coarser hair. Deep conditioning also helps to retain moisture. Moisturizing with a water-based moisturizer (or even straight water) and then sealing with an oil is also good.

Basically you're supposed to access your hair each week to see what it needs. Hair care is trial and error. And even when you figure out a system that works, your hair can change and it's back to the drawing board.

Hair is weird. 

I say this as I've been sitting in a chair for the past 4 hours getting my hair braided

On January 16, 2017 at 8:02 AM, BemusedByFundamentalism said:

Not from the US but from your neighbouring country The Netherlands ;-) We do have pralines filled with liquor too, they're called "kersenbonbons" (cherry pralines). Even a kid can buy them at the grocery store. I think it is said that you would have to eat 40 pralines to have the equal amount of alcohol in your blood like when drinking one glass of beer.

When we were coming back to the US from Italy we had a layover at Schiphol.  We bought this package of chocolates shaped like liquor bottles and filled with the liquor on the foil wrapper on each bottle.  Our plane was not passing the safety check and the pilot took us off the runway to run through ALL the systems.  I may or may not have pretended to not see that my daughter was letting my youngest have some "candy" in the row behind me.  He did at least stop screaming "I hate my life!".  desperate times...

I did the 'no poo' in my fundie days....man, brings back memories. Anyways, it didn't work for me. At all. And I was in such denial about it. Only a small reason of why I looked like shit back then. I must have been a sight to behold! 

My hair type is 2A.  I cannot make my hair stay straight.  It is not wavy enough to be considered curly.  It is oily at the roots and sometimes I can shampoo it every other day, but really I should do it every day.  I am 45 and my hair is long.  I think it looks nice.  Short or long hair seem to work for me.  When my hair is medium length the waves just make me look like McGruff The Crime Dog.  I am kind of a low maintenance person, and there is no way I can get my hair cut every 6 weeks to keep it short.  Long hair it is!

My hair is thick and curly and even though it doesn't get oily too fast, I can't go even a day without washing it because it tangles so much that it just looks like a rats nest and no comb or brush can get through it effectively. The only way I can successfully detangle it is when it's sopping wet and hang anyone who's ever clutched their pearls at the thought of brushing wet hair. Yes, I'm aware it supposedly damages it, but I'm sure the net harm is WAY lower than what I experience when trying to force a brush through a dry and matted mess. I had horrible hair for years because I didn't figure this out until I was almost eighteen.  My hair was a constant struggle to that point, and I can't even count how many brushes my mom broke in it when I was young. At one point, she resorted to using dog brushes with steel bristles (which I really don't recommend, on account of how much they made my scalp bleed). On the rare chance brushing or combing my hair when it's dry actually meets any kind of success, it just separates all the curls and leaves my hair puffy, frizzy, and all-around awful looking, so 150% not worth the effort.

Today, I'm very happy using Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair with a firm brush in the shower and styling with just a bit of Andalou Naturals leave in conditioner after squeezing the excess water with a towel. Sometimes I blow dry with the Bed Head Curlipops dryer (the only one I've ever found that doesn't just make it puff up in a giant ball of frizz), but I mostly just let it air dry and it looks nice and bouncy and tangle-free without much frizz to speak of. 

Oh, yeah - short hair is an absolute no-no, because the curl just gets tighter and leaves me looking like a poodle. Whoever said all women look best with hair above their shoulders has clearly never had curls like this. 

23 hours ago, lomo6 said:

OK, I'm not one to freak out about a little appearance snarking here and there, but the fact that we have been talking about how Jinger's hair looked bad in a screenshot for multiple pages of this thread is really bugging me. I get it, her hair looks a little fried/stringy and if she were my friend or an acquaintance I won't pretend like it would be above me to think that she should probably chop off a few inches. 

But good grief, she is an infantilized young woman who at the time of the infamous screenshot was still under the authority of her parents, who subscribe to a patriarchal strand of fundamentalist Christianity that demands that she keep her hair long and flowing. Maybe she would be "allowed" to cut off a few inches if she asked, but it's not exactly like she could go  get a bob she saw in the most recent issue of Vogue, paying for the cut with her own money from a part-time job. 

And you know what, even if she could - who gives a flying fruit? My hair is thick and curly, and I refuse to straighten it because I'm not a morning person. I understand that some people consider this style not super professional or put together. Guess what, I have other priorities. The fact that so many FJeres have such strong opinions on what this young woman should be doing with her hair makes me sad. I know not everyone here would identify as a feminist, but when we spend so much time cutting down other women over their appearances, it makes me realize how far we have to go.

Moving on - @MargaretElliott - I have been interested in transitioning away from frequent shampooing for a while (I currently do about every other day). The only concern I have is after working out. Do you exercise, and if so do you wet your hair afterwards to get some sweat out or follow some other procedure?

I have tried no pooing and it was a total disaster for me. However, I believe that using a high quality shampoo and conditioner can really do wonders and I went from needing to shampoo daily to once or twice a week. I have extremely coarse and thick hair with some waves, but oily roots.

I took a massive leap today hair wise. I usually keep my hair the one length with slightly shorter and shaped hair around my face. It was waist length because it's just so much easier to handle curly hair at the one length and I suit long hair. 

Anyway, today I got hair cut to around nipple length, layers and 'grown out' but still quite short bangs. It looks good but I'm terrified of what it'll look like curly or how hard it will be to maintain. 

Any advice?? 

The bullshit of the short hair on older women...My hair has been long for as long as I can remember...anywhere between BSL and hip-length (it won't grow much past my hips). My mother started giving me shit about my long hair when I was 30...She reached fever pitch when I was 40...i finally told her to STFU and leave me alone. 

Currently, my hair is a bit longer than BSL...I have basically ringlets (remember spiral perms?) Since I've moved to the desert, I've changed my hair washing habits, to maybe twice a week...there's just no reason to wash more than that. 

33 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

The bullshit of the short hair on older women...My hair has been long for as long as I can remember...anywhere between BSL and hip-length (it won't grow much past my hips). My mother started giving me shit about my long hair when I was 30...She reached fever pitch when I was 40...i finally told her to STFU and leave me alone. 

Currently, my hair is a bit longer than BSL...I have basically ringlets (remember spiral perms?) Since I've moved to the desert, I've changed my hair washing habits, to maybe twice a week...there's just no reason to wash more than that. 

What is BSL?

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

You can alternate between co-washing (conditioner washing) and shampooing to remove buildup for curlier/coarser hair. Deep conditioning also helps to retain moisture. Moisturizing with a water-based moisturizer (or even straight water) and then sealing with an oil is also good.

Basically you're supposed to access your hair each week to see what it needs. Hair care is trial and error. And even when you figure out a system that works, your hair can change and it's back to the drawing board.

Hair is weird. 

I say this as I've been sitting in a chair for the past 4 hours getting my hair braided

Yep, I co-wash once a week and shampoo once a month or whenever I need to remove build up.

The best luck I've had with my hair is when I started washing it twice a week and leaving out conditioner almost completely. I use leave in conditioner if I must and that seems to tame the beast that is my hair. It manages both to be straight and unruley.

Okay, now I am huge into this, so I have questions. I have long thin, curly  hair. It gets greasy at the roots, hard core.  I have been washing it daily, but I want to bring it to maybe every other day.  So my first question, what is co washing exactly.... nm I will youtube it, but what is everyones thoughts on dry shampoo. Also, I think Jinger's hair is gorgeous when she just lets it be curly.

So many topics have long thread drifts. I think this shows how boring the new show is, and the Duggars in general.

@SadieJane, you might want to check out NaturallyCurly.com.  There's lots of wisdom about products and cuts.  They have a database of product reviews and there is also a message board where can ask questions.  Right now on the homepage, there is an article about what to do when you co-wash is failing you.

NaturallyCurly.com

3 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Okay, now I am huge into this, so I have questions. I have long thin, curly  hair. It gets greasy at the roots, hard core.  I have been washing it daily, but I want to bring it to maybe every other day.  So my first question, what is co washing exactly.... nm I will youtube it, but what is everyones thoughts on dry shampoo. Also, I think Jinger's hair is gorgeous when she just lets it be curly.

Dry shampoo works great for my daughter (curly hair, but she flat irons it almost exclusively), but I hate it because every brand I've tried makes my head itch uncontrollably. 

Yeah that is my issue too. That and the fact that I have black hair, sooooo the powder based ones show, pretty hard core. I may try this conditioning one, because hey. Never hurts to try something new. 

@SadieJane I actually had this conversation multiple times with my hairdresser, including today, haha. My non-stereotypical Asian hair is also curly (not super curly but not just wavy) and thick but fine (as opposed to coarse). In addition, I resisted training my hair to be washed every other day because it gets very oily and itchy after 36 hours. I decided to try back in October; I have used dry shampoo, but have found that my hair prefers products that have dry shampoo in it, rather than just dry shampoo alone (probably because a little goes a long way and it's harder to overdo when it's in a hair cream or texturizing spray). It takes awhile for hair to get used to it, so for the first month I used a lot of product and constantly had my hair up. Three months later, I still use hair creams after I wash my hair, but only occasionally use dry shampoo or texturizing spray. I personally love Bumble&Bumble and Oribe products, but I know that they can get pricy. 

On 1/18/2017 at 10:39 PM, PennySycamore said:

That's why it was such a huge deal that Simone Manuel won two Golds and two Silvers in Swimming at the Summer Olympics last year.   Black kids often don't learn to swim because their hair is not east to deal with.

I'm a curly girl that does wash her hair every day (or most every day).  It just looks too messy if I don't wash every day.  I really should get a different refreshing spray and/or do something to protect my curls at night.  

Ladies, ladies... For those of you with long curly hair, please don't visit New Orleans. If the heat doesn't kill you our humidity will.  It's a well known fact that your hair will either shrink up a few inches or you'll look like Bozo the Clown if the humidity is high (and it usually is) LOL

I second that, @NewOrleansLady! I cut my hair before my first 'adult' visit, but not short enough! I do have more curl in it there though-lol. Next time, off the back of my neck pleeease!

47 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Ladies, ladies... For those of you with long curly hair, please don't visit New Orleans. If the heat doesn't kill you our humidity will.  It's a well known fact that your hair will either shrink up a few inches or you'll look like Bozo the Clown if the humidity is high (and it usually is) LOL

I grew up near Virginia Beach, VA. Where it's so humid, you need gills to breathe in the summer. Where it feels like you've wrapped yourself in a wool blanket soaked in hot water all summer. Where I'd wash my hair at night before I went to bed and would wake up with it still wet. I swear I don't think my hair actually dried completely from about May to late September. The first pic is me and grandgirls at my stepdaughter's wedding...in August in Yorktown VA. Second is me when we lived in PHX. Same hair...

august in VA hair.jpg

desert hair.jpg

My hair and scalp combination is a nightmare. My scalp is extremely sensitive and I seem to have some kind of allergy to something that is in both shampoo and conditioner most of the time. For most of my life I just accepted that I was like mom who had an itchy scalp and breakouts of little sores in her scalp that were also itchy. Conditioners gave me big acne like breakouts on my forehead and that was a totally no go. At about 21-22 I decided to try a more environmentally friendly shampoo and boom, no itching and the sores disappeared. If you have never lived life with a more or less constantly itchy scalp you don't get just how revolutionary that is. My hair looked worse from using that shampoo compared to my old itchy one but I didn't care, itch-free won, easily. I tried a couple more shampoos from the same brand and another version was better for my hair and still no itching so for years I used that. I tried a conditioner from that brand too but that failed because that caused the same old ache-like breakouts as all the other ones. A couple years later however the shampoo I liked got altered by the company and while I still didn't get any itch from it, it was a true disaster on my hair, I looked like I had used dishsoap to wash it. I experimented with different shampoos and sometimes used a more hair friendly shampoo one day and more scalp friendly the other and thus had some slight scalp itch again but still less than before. 

A couple years ago I found https://www.thebodyshop.com/sv-se/harvard/schampo/rainforest-balance-shampoo/p/p000152 and the most fantastic thing is that I can also use the conditioner that matches this shampoo. I love it!!! No itch and still hair that looks decent. 

I have noticed that I have better hair quality and even better scalp if I don't wash too often so I use dry shampoo and a boar bristle brush to stretch the time between washes. For my hair the ideal time is about 2 weeks but that means a lot of work with the brush to make the hair look great and as a mom of 2 I don't have that time every night so 1-2 times a week is more realistic. For many years I could not take showers and wet my hair without shampooing it or it would look terrible but this seems to have changed now and I can do water wash and it makes the hair better not worse. I think that water only would really be my ideal regime but it takes too much time working my hair with the brush to be an alternative right now. Perhaps by the time I am 45-50 and I have teens or adult children that might we what I do.

3 hours ago, SadieJane said:

Yeah that is my issue too. That and the fact that I have black hair, sooooo the powder based ones show, pretty hard core. I may try this conditioning one, because hey. Never hurts to try something new. 

Just a PSA for people with dark hair who want to try dry shampoo, there's a brand called batiste that makes dry shampoo with coloring in it so that it won't show up in dark hair. I learned about it after I thought I was going gray--turns out it was my dry shampoo. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived