IGNORED

Tickling the Ivories - Jinger and Jeremy Vuolo

choralcrusader8613

Pennsylvania only recently started allowing all grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Previously stores had to do a certain amount of food sales to sell beer in stores. The beer store around the block from where I lived in Lancaster, PA was allowed to operate because the restaurant attached to it did enough food sales. Right before I moved to VA, the state announced that all grocery stores could sell beer and wine.

From what I can tell, you can buy beer and wine in a grocery store in VA with no time restrictions. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fellow Iowan here, and according to my research, aka Wikipedia, Kum and Go was named after its owners Krause and Gentle. "Come and Go" became "Kum and Go." Meh, I always stop at Casey's General Store for gas, because the more money I spend on groceries at Hy-Vee, the more I save on gas expenses from Casey's. Yay for inter-corporation deals! Andddddd, I never have to worry about buying booze at Hy-Vee.

7 hours ago, Gobbles said:

Are there "Schnapspralinen" (chocolate filled with hard liquor, aka the best thing ever) in the US? And if there are, do you need to be 21 to buy them? 

Yes, we have them! Not sure if you have to be over 21 to buy them, though. Probably. My grandmother used to suck the liquor out and give me the chocolate. Loved that woman :pb_lol:

8 hours ago, DugFan said:

I'll chime in on Colorado's.  We had the no-Sunday thing up until a few years ago.  But we still have this franchise law that a company can only have one liquor store in the entire state.  So, for example, in other parts of the country you might be able to buy wine at any Target.  Here Target is allowed to only have it is ONE store (luckily, I live close:my_biggrin:)

That's the Target I shop at! I always tell people I live "by the Trader Joe's that sells booze." :pb_lol:

(If any other Denver-based FJ people would be down for a meetup, let me know!)

9 hours ago, Gobbles said:

Are there "Schnapspralinen" (chocolate filled with hard liquor, aka the best thing ever) in the US? And if there are, do you need to be 21 to buy them? 

Fun fact about Norway:

13741078_1142575555800849_1201947656_n.jpg

Licorice pipes are illegal here. Why? Because we don't want to encourage young people to smoke! The only place you can get them is at the duty free store at the airport or a boat, and then they're located with the tobacco. Crazy, crazy country. 

On 1/11/2017 at 8:54 PM, Shadoewolf said:

I'm going to second the difference in generics. Their fillers can be vastly different, which can cause reactions in some people. My doctor wanted me to try Armour but after the company got bought out and it was reformulated I asked for Nature-throid instead. Before I finally found a provider who would write for naturally dessicated, I was ordering Thyrovanz online. It kept my levels pretty close to normal. 

I've been really reluctant to dry NDT because I'm a vegetarian, I can never figure out if it's legitimate, and I heard it smells really bad. Plus my doctors never offered it. But now, hearing about Thyrovanz, I think maybe I need to just break down and try it. Did you order it from their website or is it also sold elsewhere? Does it smell bad?

3 hours ago, Purrl said:

Look at the locks on that door! I didn't know Laredo was such a dangerous place. Maybe I'm naive though. 

It's not the Fort Knox-level doors I sometimes see in New York (though New York is generally quite safe these days, actually -- my parents freaked out about the fact that I was moving to a neighborhood that had a bad reputation in the 80s and 90s, and I had to explain that it's perfectly safe, there's just more minorities around and that's why people think it's scary. Thanks, racism!), but according to a 2015 report by the FBI, Laredo is actually a good deal safer than some cities in northern Texas -- in fact, most border cities were pretty safe and had lower crime stats than places like Texarkana. Of course, it doesn't hurt to be careful, and there is turmoil in Mexico that could cause problems (wall or not), but Laredo isn't exactly Mos Eisley.

Can I just say how happy I am to see that their videos are like 10 seconds long and seem to do the bare minimum to appease TLC? They don't (often) invoke God, they say "happy birthday" and move on, and Jinger even LOOKS AT THE CAMERA instead of just gazing lovingly at Jeremy.

I'm very happy and surprise that there isn't any pregnancy announcement so far. The also send to enjoy theire life in private and far from the compound 

I can't understand these short videos saying happy birthday. Why does the world have to see you saying happy birthday to your siblings? Call them! 

But she looks happy. I hope she enjoys the quiet life away from her family.

13 hours ago, mtc3659 said:

Pennsylvania only recently started allowing all grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Previously stores had to do a certain amount of food sales to sell beer in stores. The beer store around the block from where I lived in Lancaster, PA was allowed to operate because the restaurant attached to it did enough food sales. Right before I moved to VA, the state announced that all grocery stores could sell beer and wine.

It's still not all in PA!   They have to get a special license and have a separate register and prices are still high.    No wine at Costco, Trader Joes or Aldi ...

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

I'm very happy and surprise that there isn't any pregnancy announcement so far. The also send to enjoy theire life in private and far from the compound 

And I wanna know about all the books in the bookcase!  That looks like far more books than we've ever seen in the Duggar house.

My favorite part of the video besides what has been mentioned was Jeremy saying "hopefully we will see you sometime soon " Yeah for not running to the TTH

Irish people have the same binge drinking culture as our Scandinavian pals. Seems to be a Northern European thing, possibly a culture evolved from our lack of daylight in winter. 

Here in Ireland it's really rare to find a non-drinker. They're almost always recovered alcoholics. There's an amusing part in The Green Road by Anne Enright, where there's a search party being organised for a missing person on Christmas Day, and it's composed entirely of  recovered alcoholics as no other Irish person would be fit to drive a car on Christmas Day 

I'm a rarity in that im just not very good at drinking. 3-4 drinks and I'm ready to go to bed. I'm astounded at most Irish people's ability to put it away and still function.

They called him John instead of John David. Every time he's on TV it's John david. Or JD.

Interesting. I wonder if he prefers John. 

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

It's not the Fort Knox-level doors I sometimes see in New York (though New York is generally quite safe these days, actually -- my parents freaked out about the fact that I was moving to a neighborhood that had a bad reputation in the 80s and 90s, and I had to explain that it's perfectly safe, there's just more minorities around and that's why people think it's scary. Thanks, racism!), but according to a 2015 report by the FBI, Laredo is actually a good deal safer than some cities in northern Texas -- in fact, most border cities were pretty safe and had lower crime stats than places like Texarkana. Of course, it doesn't hurt to be careful, and there is turmoil in Mexico that could cause problems (wall or not), but Laredo isn't exactly Mos Eisley.

I don't blame them. I live in a very nice neighborhood with oversized lots to 5 acre lots and we live in the back of said neighborhood with a single entrance and exit, we lock our doors. It just is not wise to do otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Most announcements coincide with show airdates. I guess they couldn't hold off on Jill's pregnancy, however, because she's starting to show and would get questioned on Instagram about it by anyone who saw her in public recently. 

I expect Joy's engagement and (if there is one) Jinger's pregnancy to be announced during the 10-12 week run of the show. We could have *some* sort of announcement as early as Monday. I expect Joy's engagement to come first. 

Jeremy's shirt in that video looks dumb and especially with that hat. Anyway someone mentioned all the books Jeremy has; well most of them look like religious books to me. I'm pretty sure the thick dark ones are bc my parents had books just like that, they are some sort of Baptist commentary/interpretation on different books of the Bible. 

OT but I feel like this fundie cult attracts new members who want to feel like they are cooler than other people or at the top of their social group. That's what happened with my mom, and I feel Jeremy might be similar. I bet he loves being viewed as the "normal one" or the "cool one" and being seen as more worldly and sophisticated than the other fundies. My mom moved to a very small town, joined up with a fundie church, and then co-founded a fundie homeschooling group with a group of very ignorant country-bumpkin type friends who had never gone off to college or left their hometown (not saying that HAS to make someone ignorant). My mom was from a much larger city and had attended a large prestigious university, and she seemed to relish her perceived "higher status" over the others. 

26 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

Jeremy's shirt in that video looks dumb and especially with that hat. Anyway someone mentioned all the books Jeremy has; well most of them look like religious books to me. I'm pretty sure the thick dark ones are bc my parents had books just like that, they are some sort of Baptist commentary/interpretation on different books of the Bible. 

Even if they are all religious books, those are still more books in one place than I've ever seen at the Duggar's house. The Duggars do not have a culture of reading.

26 minutes ago, VeganCupcake said:

OT but I feel like this fundie cult attracts new members who want to feel like they are cooler than other people or at the top of their social group. That's what happened with my mom, and I feel Jeremy might be similar. I bet he loves being viewed as the "normal one" or the "cool one" and being seen as more worldly and sophisticated than the other fundies. My mom moved to a very small town, joined up with a fundie church, and then co-founded a fundie homeschooling group with a group of very ignorant country-bumpkin type friends who had never gone off to college or left their hometown (not saying that HAS to make someone ignorant). My mom was from a much larger city and had attended a large prestigious university, and she seemed to relish her perceived "higher status" over the others. 

I doubt Jeremy has a bunch of Baptist commentary books since neither he or his church is of the baptist variety. 

I think the set of books below Jeremy's left arm may be John Calvin's Commentaries.

Here is a pic of another set: 362080.jpg

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived