• Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
FundieFarmer

JRod 24: Precious Plexus Moments

296 posts in this topic

I grew up with neighbors across the street that were A LOT like Jill and David.  QF, evangelical Christians, married young, not a lot of education, etc.  But you know what?  In their case the husband USED those handyman skills he had to finish their basement into a hair salon for her, complete with a kids' play area so that she could keep an eye on the children while she took clients.  She made BANK because turns out that there were TONS of women in the community who loved being able to bring their kids to the hairdresser as well.  It was a huge selling feature for her.  Oh, and her eldest daughter was able to fund her mission trip because her mother paid her (a pittance, but still) and she was tipped by clients for watching/playing with the kids.  

Also, the kids always ate first.  The kids would dish up before dad got home, mom would snack on veggies, and then mom and dad would eat together when he got home, usually while the kids played or watched a godly movie.  So if anyone ever went hungry in that house, it was never the kids, and the kids never knew if there was not quite enough to go around.  This also meant that they didn't feel the need to take Jill and David's continual "romantic date trips" because they had one on one adult time every night.  

Jill and David could do all of these things.  They CHOOSE not to because they are lazy and selfish.  Jill could also choose to clean her own house, but she would rather have the girls do it.  David could choose to just cut out snacking so that there's more for the kids (we've SEEN his midnight snack plates), but he chooses to snack and potentially let the kids have less than full meals.  

Are these people trapped in a terrible life set up?  Oh yes.  But they are ALSO just terrible people and terrible parents.  

QF/Patriarchy/educational neglect almost certainly means there's less money to go around, but it does not require (or even promote) the parents spending it on themselves first, especially on things like vacations and sweatshirts and makeup and snacks and other luxuries at the expense of the kids.  That's ALL Jill and David, of their own personal choice, and of their own personal fault.  

44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

I grew up with neighbors across the street that were A LOT like Jill and David.  QF, evangelical Christians, married young, not a lot of education, etc.  But you know what?  In their case the husband USED those handyman skills he had to finish their basement into a hair salon for her, complete with a kids' play area so that she could keep an eye on the children while she took clients.  She made BANK because turns out that there were TONS of women in the community who loved being able to bring their kids to the hairdresser as well.  It was a huge selling feature for her.  Oh, and her eldest daughter was able to fund her mission trip because her mother paid her (a pittance, but still) and she was tipped by clients for watching/playing with the kids.  

Also, the kids always ate first.  The kids would dish up before dad got home, mom would snack on veggies, and then mom and dad would eat together when he got home, usually while the kids played or watched a godly movie.  So if anyone ever went hungry in that house, it was never the kids, and the kids never knew if there was not quite enough to go around.  This also meant that they didn't feel the need to take Jill and David's continual "romantic date trips" because they had one on one adult time every night.  

Jill and David could do all of these things.  They CHOOSE not to because they are lazy and selfish.  Jill could also choose to clean her own house, but she would rather have the girls do it.  David could choose to just cut out snacking so that there's more for the kids (we've SEEN his midnight snack plates), but he chooses to snack and potentially let the kids have less than full meals.  

Are these people trapped in a terrible life set up?  Oh yes.  But they are ALSO just terrible people and terrible parents.  

QF/Patriarchy/educational neglect almost certainly means there's less money to go around, but it does not require (or even promote) the parents spending it on themselves first, especially on things like vacations and sweatshirts and makeup and snacks and other luxuries at the expense of the kids.  That's ALL Jill and David, of their own personal choice, and of their own personal fault.  

It's just another example of how the people who claim to be the most "Christian" tend to be the least "Christ like" people on the planet. 

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't mind the kids doing housework. They all need to learn how a home operates, within the limits of their ability. So cleaning, some early cooking, laundry, sewing, all are fair game. It shouldn't be ALL they do, though.

17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I really don't mind the kids doing housework. They all need to learn how a home operates, within the limits of their ability. So cleaning, some early cooking, laundry, sewing, all are fair game. It shouldn't be ALL they do, though.

Problem is, the work goes beyond the house.  There's also the RV to deal with and performing for "love offerings".  I suspect they're also teaching themselves and/or each other, while Jill is recruiting for Plexus and David is doing whatever he does in the print shop.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody (who might be related to Ben Vance?) posted a video on Jill's wall about a mobility device designed for parapelgics. Presumably for Amy. What does bother me is how much false hope people invest in incredible inventions that aren't even on the market yet (and may never be). [This is the fault of these viral videos, I know.] Additionally, if I understand correctly, Amy is a quadriplegic because she has lost motility in her arms so she wouldn't have the upper body strength to use this. Not sure if this family friend understands this or not. The use of the device hings on being able to pull yourself to a standing position using your arms. 

I am being picky. I know. But Jill et al. don't have the best track record for understanding medical issues, the FDA, what a drug is, or really anything related to health as far as I can tell. 

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

So I went to watch the latest video (I am behind on my snarking!) and noticed this comment on Jill's page, which was notable:

Quote

Good morning to all of you,
Love hearing your  and seeing your videos.  It is amazing to see how God is using you and made you an extravert.  I remember you as a child and you were very shy and quiet.  You have COME OUT OF YOUR SHELL!  It blesses me to see you serving the Lord with your family.

...[there's more, but it's not pertinent]

This comment really gave me a different perspective on Jill's personality. It seems that she underwent an personality shift from her childhood--one that seems a little too extreme to be entirely natural. We know that fundie children, particularly the little girls, are encouraged to be out-going and vivacious. It seems Jill is not naturally the SEVERE extrovert that she seems to be, which makes me think that a lot of what we see is an act, so to speak, to demonstrate her godliness in a way that's socially expected of her. The garish make-up would make sense in this context, too--it's a mask, a way to present herself to the world as a certain type of person. It's also entirely possible that boys didn't show her much interest until David came along, so she jumped at the chance--resulting in all of...this. I can see that a lot of the things that we thought were the result of malicious or narcissistic behavior may just be the result of social awkwardness. Honestly, it makes me feel sorry for Jill--if she really is an introvert, she's living in most introvert's version of complete and total hell.

Edited by ViolaSebastian
21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I'm new to the Rodrigueses but holy crap I looked at their website and they low-key have a "support us" page without even the most BS fundie justification? Not like, help us fund this missioncation! Or, help us through this unexpected medical event! Or, our RV got damaged in a major weather event, halp! But just straight up "To support our family via a one-time payment through PayPal, please use the following link:" 

HOW???!?!?!??!?!I

Where's a "head exploding" emoticon when I need it??

Also, what's Jill's fundie family of origin and how did she meet David? I've been scrolling through past threads but haven't picked that up. 

 

 

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, SuchABlessing said:

It's just another example of how the people who claim to be the most "Christian" tend to be the least "Christ like" people on the planet. 

Well said. You have nailed it.

Edited by Gobsmacked
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Antimony said:

Somebody (who might be related to Ben Vance?) posted a video on Jill's wall about a mobility device designed for parapelgics. Presumably for Amy. What does bother me is how much false hope people invest in incredible inventions that aren't even on the market yet (and may never be). [This is the fault of these viral videos, I know.] Additionally, if I understand correctly, Amy is a quadriplegic because she has lost motility in her arms so she wouldn't have the upper body strength to use this. Not sure if this family friend understands this or not. The use of the device hings on being able to pull yourself to a standing position using your arms. 

I am being picky. I know. But Jill et al. don't have the best track record for understanding medical issues, the FDA, what a drug is, or really anything related to health as far as I can tell. 

I think Amy may have very limited use of her arms. So your point still stands (wow, that's a pretty terrible unintentional pun there). And I agree that people get so easily suckered in by these "miracle" devices and pills and shakes all designed by con artists who want to make easy money off of the poor and desperate.

In general I get so annoyed by how Jill and her ilk treat Amy (and by extension, most or all disabled people): I think it's natural to wish she'd get better and be able to go back to the way her life once was, but treating her like an object and getting her suckered into bullshit "cures" and devices that only cure her/the poor fools who buy stuff from Jill of having too full a wallet/bank account is just despicable.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried to edit last post. Couldn't for some reason. 

Was going to add that when #s 1and 2 were little, we attended a church full of families. We were invited to play dates with one particular "Christian" family.  Went a few times. They seemed OK. 

When #1 was diagnosed and very ill the family began to ignore us in church, play dates stopped for #2 at a time when he needed to be able to escape for an hour or two each week. 

A year or so later after #1 was slightly better we bumped into this family at a school parents meeting. They did say a quick hello but couldn't even remember either of my kids names. Never mind that I had looked after their youngest at Nursery for 6 months or that I had sat on an interview panel with the father.

They said the right things but did nothing.

Very very unchristian Christians. We found a new church eventually.

rant over.

12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mom knows how much I enjoy snarking on the fundies, but she did grow up in a semi-fundamentalist home and sometimes the words escape before she can catch herself. So tonight she was talking on the phone with me about being retired, and how it's nice but sometimes she "misses the sweet fellowship of her co-workers". I started laughing like a 13 year old, and she eventually realized why and said, "Yeah, yeah, sweet fellowship, we know that's what that Jill Rodrigues and her pregnant husband are doing in the RV as we speak, ha ha, hee hee.". 

I'm converting her, ever so slowly. 

24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think Amy may have very limited use of her arms. So your point still stands (wow, that's a pretty terrible unintentional pun there). And I agree that people get so easily suckered in by these "miracle" devices and pills and shakes all designed by con artists who want to make easy money off of the poor and desperate.

In general I get so annoyed by how Jill and her ilk treat Amy (and by extension, most or all disabled people): I think it's natural to wish she'd get better and be able to go back to the way her life once was, but treating her like an object and getting her suckered into bullshit "cures" and devices that only cure her/the poor fools who buy stuff from Jill of having too full a wallet/bank account is just despicable.

Yeah. Amy has, if I'm correct, some wrist usage but not so much in her upper arms. 

Jill deleted the post. Who knows why? Maybe anything that isn't her face isn't welcome on the page.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Antimony said:

Yeah. Amy has, if I'm correct, some wrist usage but not so much in her upper arms. 

Jill deleted the post. Who knows why? Maybe anything that isn't her face isn't welcome on the page.

Sounds like Jill - she did the same thing back when Amy was in the hospital and people would post stories to Jill's timeline about relatives who had been quadriplegic and were able to regain some function or anything that did not focus on Jill and HER stress and HER pain in dealing with Amy's situation. 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Problem is, the work goes beyond the house.  There's also the RV to deal with and performing for "love offerings".  I suspect they're also teaching themselves and/or each other, while Jill is recruiting for Plexus and David is doing whatever he does in the print shop.

I also don't mind kids doing house work...I think it's a great learning experience.  But it's not a child's job to run the house, that's the parents' job.  The job of a child is to get a good education and be a child.  And you cannot tell me that with spending ALL MORNING cleaning the house, that the Rod girls have time to get a decent education OR be kids.  Once again, Jill puts their needs last and forces them to tend to hers first.  And that's not OK.  

17 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

So I went to watch the latest video (I am behind on my snarking!) and noticed this comment on Jill's page, which was notable:

This comment really gave me a different perspective on Jill's personality. It seems that she underwent an personality shift from her childhood--one that seems a little too extreme to be entirely natural. We know that fundie children, particularly the little girls, are encouraged to be out-going and vivacious. It seems Jill is not naturally the SEVERE extrovert that she seems to be, which makes me think that a lot of what we see is an act, so to speak, to demonstrate her godliness in a way that's socially expected of her. The garish make-up would make sense in this context, too--it's a mask, a way to present herself to the world as a certain type of person. It's also entirely possible that boys didn't show her much interest until David came along, so she jumped at the chance--resulting in all of...this. I can see that a lot of the things that we thought were the result of malicious or narcissistic behavior may just be the result of social awkwardness. Honestly, it makes me feel sorry for Jill--if she really is an introvert, she's living in most introvert's version of complete and total hell.

I was a very, very, very shy and quiet child to anyone I didn't know well (I would later be diagnosed with social and generalized anxiety).  I also NEVER went out as a teen or young adult without make up, much for the same reason.  As an adult, however, I've also gotten far more social as I've gotten older and learned to deal with my anxiety.  Despite being a shy, quiet child, I always WANTED to be outgoing and friendly...I just couldn't be.  So now as an adult, when my stress levels are low, I REVEL in it.  I still love wearing make up, no longer as a way to manage anxiety regarding others, but because it's become a real passion of mine, is a calming part of my going out routine, and is something I'm reasonably skilled at.  I think Jill might be the same way, because she REALLY seems to love the attention.  She finally has the chance to be the person she always wanted to be as a child...but couldn't be.  

I think Jill has issues with insecurity.  I think she has always had issues with insecurity.  She's made it clear that as a child she felt overshadowed by the "special" twins, and probably felt like as the non-twin middle child, she probably felt often overlooked.  Now, she's "special" as the mother of a musical mega-quiver, so she may be quite a bit more confident.  I think she's become quite proud of her "look" and how much time she spends looking nice (though I think she's still quite insecure about her appearance).  It's quite possible that this is less of a personality shift, but more of her acting on things that she was too insecure to act on before.   

I think her narcissism is a way for her to handle her own insecurity.  Maybe if she treats herself like a queen and forces her kids to treat her like a queen, eventually she'll believe it?  She needs to CONSTANTLY have external sources of validation because internally, she can't provide that to herself.  It's like oxygen.  She NEEDS that validation to function, or she might fall apart at her own insecurity.  

25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, lomo6 said:

OK I'm new to the Rodrigueses but holy crap I looked at their website and they low-key have a "support us" page without even the most BS fundie justification? Not like, help us fund this missioncation! Or, help us through this unexpected medical event! Or, our RV got damaged in a major weather event, halp! But just straight up "To support our family via a one-time payment through PayPal, please use the following link:" 

HOW???!?!?!??!?!I

Where's a "head exploding" emoticon when I need it??

Also, what's Jill's fundie family of origin and how did she meet David? I've been scrolling through past threads but haven't picked that up. 

 

 

The only thing I find surprising is that they classify it as a one time payment and not some kind of sneaky monthly payment commitment like the Dullards tried.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jill posted a live video on her way to a Plexus training event. She looks exhausted. Also, it is in Raleigh NC which has been hit by a major winter storm and they are asking everyone to please not go on the roads unless they absolutely have to. They changed the time of the governor's inauguration ball because this storm. NC doesn't need a bunch of crazy Plexus folks clogging up our roads to get to an event. 

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How on earth are they paying for all this? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that this is not an all expenses paid conference. Especially given that she left this message on the gofundme for an adoption on December 15:

Quote

What a blessing to read about this adoption! We are SO happy for you guys! I honestly wish that we could give more, but we are strapped financially this month. We will pray that God will provide the rest of what you need. We LOVE your family! Thank you for fulfilling the Scripture in James 1:27. With Care and MERRY Christmas! -The David Rodrigues Family (Jill Noyes)

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It costs $20 a person, so if David is going that is $40. That does not include food or gas. It doesn't end till 4 this afternoon so that means they will have to make the long drive back in icy conditions in the dark. 

I don't get how they make it financially. When she signed up for Plexus she didn't even have the money needed to pay, someone had to pay her registration for her. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It costs $20 a person, so if David is going that is $40. That does not include food or gas. It doesn't end till 4 this afternoon so that means they will have to make the long drive back in icy conditions in the dark. 

I don't get how they make it financially. When she signed up for Plexus she didn't even have the money needed to pay, someone had to pay her registration for her. 

And that's a around a six hour drive. That's a lot of gas money. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in a hotel, given that the crash Amy was injured in resulted from driving late at night and her husband falling asleep behind the wheel. You'd think after one tragedy they'd have more sense.

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I don't get how they make it financially. When she signed up for Plexus she didn't even have the money needed to pay, someone had to pay her registration for her. 

I don't get it either. And whenever I think of their finances, I always wonder, why doesn't she do hair out of the home? But we have talked about that subject at length. 

I wonder about the donors. I wonder if they think they now have the press and house and now they should be self-sufficient and if many think that I would say donations would be drying up. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

And that's a around a six hour drive. That's a lot of gas money. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in a hotel, given that the crash Amy was injured in resulted from driving late at night and her husband falling asleep behind the wheel. You'd think after one tragedy they'd have more sense.

But shortly after the accident, like within a few months if I remember correctly, there was a family get-together where either her parents or she herself left home extremely late at night and drove through the night.

And it is clear from her various videos that not only does nobody wear a seatbelt in the back of the RV while it's driving, but even in the front of the RV she doesn't wear a seatbelt, even though after Amy's accident it seemed that the only reason the six kids survived without a scratch is because they were all buckled into car seats.

*I* became more careful about driving super late at night or early in the morning after Amy's accident, and I think about it often.  It seems to have not impacted Jill et al. in the same way.

19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jill has made videos that show her and the kids not even wearing seat belts in the car! Amy's accident has made my husband and I be super duper careful about driving at night or when we are tired. There are times when in the past we might have pushed it traveling in the past, but now we are more likely to stop and rest. It is better to take a longer trip than to drive while you are tired. 

Jill has not seemed to have learned one good thing from Amy's accident. 

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Jill posted a live video on her way to a Plexus training event. She looks exhausted. Also, it is in Raleigh NC which has been hit by a major winter storm and they are asking everyone to please not go on the roads unless they absolutely have to. They changed the time of the governor's inauguration ball because this storm. NC doesn't need a bunch of crazy Plexus folks clogging up our roads to get to an event. 

3 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

And that's a around a six hour drive. That's a lot of gas money. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed in a hotel, given that the crash Amy was injured in resulted from driving late at night and her husband falling asleep behind the wheel. You'd think after one tragedy they'd have more sense.

I live right by Raleigh. I would be surprised if Plexus hadn't cancelled this event today, because the roads here are crazy. (My roommate and I had to walk a mile to the grocery store today and saw, like, five near-car-accidents along the way because of the ice/snow. I'm hearing wheels spinning out outside my window as I type this.)

So of course when I saw Jill's video I thought she was incredibly foolish to drive here, but I hadn't even considered the fact that she knew Amy was paralyzed because of irresponsible driving! No words. So, so stupid.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't understand people who don't wear seat belts this day and age. They are life savers for many people and yet people continue to pretend like they don't matter. You will get ticketed here if you're stopped and you don't have your seat belt on but I know that's not everywhere.
I hope they aren't going to risk their kids lives by going out in the snow for a Plexis event.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I can't understand people who don't wear seat belts this day and age. They are life savers for many people and yet people continue to pretend like they don't matter. You will get ticketed here if you're stopped and you don't have your seat belt on but I know that's not everywhere.
I hope they aren't going to risk their kids lives by going out in the snow for a Plexis event.

From what I understand, a lot of it is the myth that they'll trap you in the car and it's better to be thrown clear from the car. Nope, unless the car's on fire (which is a lot rarer these days than before because there are so many safeguards against cars blowing up like the climax of a Fast and the Furious movie), being strapped into your seat is the safest place you can be after an accident: not moving (which can exacerbate a spinal injury), and away from hazards like oncoming traffic.

When my dad worked as a volunteer firefighter, he mostly dealt with car accidents. He saw both people who would have survived the crash had they just taken two seconds to buckle up, and people who are alive and well purely because they wore a seatbelt. It takes two seconds to put a strip of fabric across your body that can save your life, and yet so many people don't want to wear it because they want to feel "free" or believe really stupid myths about the resilience of the human body and/or emergency safety.

17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now