IGNORED

Houses - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

ClaraOswin

I've moved A LOT in my adult life, and still have another 8 years or so before Mr. Bonkers and I can think about a 'forever' house. (He's in the military). In the meantime, I've compiled a list of must-haves:

-DOUBLE OVENS. I am a shameless baker.

-Walk-in pantry. Besides baking, I'm a big canner/preserver.

-Craft room. For all the crafts I do?

-Big Porch. With rocking chairs or a hammock.

I'd love to live out in the country; it's how I was raised and what I miss. Nice big garden, some chickens, a small herd of cattle. It'd be heaven on earth to me.

• Upvote 6

I would love double ovens. My husband's big "wish list" kitchen thing is a pot filler over the stove.

• Upvote 4

@TeddyBonkers, I hear you on ovens!  I'd love to have double ovens and if I had my way, I'd have a range too instead of just a cooktop/ range top and wall oven. Yep,  I'd love to have three ovens.  Gas is somewhat better for meats (it's moister heat) and electric,  with its dry heat, is better for baking. If one of those ovens had a rotisserie, so much the better. 

One of my daughters has double ovens.  I discovered that I can barely touch the racks in the upper oven when I open the oven door.  The Neff Hide-and-Slide Oven, as seen on The Great British Bake-Off, would be perfect for us short folk.  Too bad they're not available in the US.

@ClaraOswin,  those pot-fillers seem great, but you do have to tote/drag a big pot of hot water to the sink when you're ready to dump the water out.  They're not as useful as they seem.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@TeddyBonkers, I hear you on ovens!  I'd love to have double ovens and if I had my way, I'd have a range too instead of just a cooktop/ range top and wall oven. Yep,  I'd love to have three ovens.  Gas is somewhat better for meats (it's moister heat) and electric,  with its dry heat, is better for baking. If one of those ovens had a rotisserie, so much the better. 

One of my daughters has double ovens.  I discovered that I can barely touch the racks in the upper oven when I open the oven door.  The Neff Hide-and-Slide Oven, as seen on The Great British Bake-Off, would be perfect for us short folk.  Too bad they're not available in the US.

@ClaraOswin,  those pot-fillers seem great, but you do have to tote/drag a big pot of hot water to the sink when you're ready to dump the water out.  They're not as useful as they seem.

But with the filler you are only having to haul it once. Right now, we have to haul both to and from. So at least it saves one time...haha.

• Upvote 3

@ClaraOswin, that is true!  If someone makes pasta a lot, then I think that a pot filler makes sense. I do make pasta frequently, but not enough to justify a pot-filler. I use my wok a lot and want a cooktop that is good for wok cooking.  Not all cooktops are that great.  A Blue Star would be ideal, if you have a round-bottom wok because you just remove the grate and drop the wok in, but a Thermador also gives good flame coverage and is cheaper by several hundred dollars.  Now if I could just get a wok made by Mr Cen.  The Cen Brothers hand-hammered woks are legendary!  The Cen Brothers just closed their shop in Shanghai.

1 hour ago, TeddyBonkers said:

I've moved A LOT in my adult life, and still have another 8 years or so before Mr. Bonkers and I can think about a 'forever' house. (He's in the military). In the meantime, I've compiled a list of must-haves:

-DOUBLE OVENS. I am a shameless baker.

-Walk-in pantry. Besides baking, I'm a big canner/preserver.

-Craft room. For all the crafts I do?

-Big Porch. With rocking chairs or a hammock.

I'd love to live out in the country; it's how I was raised and what I miss. Nice big garden, some chickens, a small herd of cattle. It'd be heaven on earth to me.

Oven:  one of those big old AGA ranges

Pantry:  yes please

Craft Room:  yes please

Porch:  Very important, especially if it's got a swing to sit on.

I love your idea of living in the country as well. :)

• Upvote 4

I would like a house like this in the suburbs.  I don't want too much but a fenced in back yard with enough space for a dog.  A big kitchen would be nice with a walk in shower.  If I had children I would probably want something more private but this is a nice house to me.

505e0f8763c10850db00f5dd3ea16bcd.jpg

• Upvote 6

I also love looking at real estate websites and will often check out homes that are located around me. Mostly just to be a nosy neighbor. Ha! I sure as hell wouldn't buy another one around here though. There are a lot of cool looking houses in some neighboring towns that I'd love to own, but I'd have to look for the links to share.

Another thing I've loved since I was a kid is looking at house plans. My brother got me interested in them since he's a contractor and draws up plans for clients occasionally. Sometimes, I think I'd love a house with all the fancy bells and whistles that you see on HGTV and other times I'd love a cabin by the lake.

What about the "tiny house" trend that is shown on tv? I might like to stay in one for a night or two, but I wouldn't want to live in one full time. I'd have to get rid of too much shit!

Edited by HeathenBlondie
Spelling. Ugh.
  • Upvote 6

I found "For the love of old houses' on Facebook, and it is KILLING me. 

I'd love a pot-filler too, for canning. Mr. Bonkers can do the dumping for me. ;)

• Upvote 2

@HeathenBlondie, I like the idea of a tiny house, but the big drawback for me is that most of them have loft beds. I don't like that. I had a top bunk as a kid, and a loft in my college dorm. I hated them. Then I had a boyfriend who had a studio apartment and insisted he had more space by having his mattress on the floor (????; no.). So for me, it is not too much to ask for a proper bed on a proper frame and enough floor space to walk on either side of it; changing sheets on a loft bed sucks sucks sucks, and I'm weird in that I change my sheets twice a week, so access on both sides matters.  

@TeddyBonkers, we're alike-- I would also like a pot filler for canning!

• Upvote 3

I'm in Sonora Ca right now-lots of interesting houses...anyone want me to take pictures? Lots of Victorian and craftsman bungalows here.

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

I'm in Sonora Ca right now-lots of interesting houses...anyone want me to take pictures? Lots of Victorian and craftsman bungalows here.

Sure thing, @DaniLouisiana, if it's not too much trouble.  I don't think I'm the only one here that loves those houses.

• Upvote 2

I love both Craftsman and Victorian houses! Bring on the photos, please.;)

Mr. Bonkers says he wants a tiny house. I told him he could have one on our property after he retires, but I am not living in one! I need my kitchen!

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Apologies for slight thread derail here. This is one of my favourite sites. 

Great site!  I'm quite taken with the yellow kitchen.  :eyewash:

I've seen some pretty wild and disgusting things touring homes with a realtor.  The most memorable was a home sold "as is" which had a large hole in the ceiling because of a plumbing leak (which we were willing to repair), but also dog food was distributed through the heaters, which was too much of a stinky and expensive problem to tackle. 

• Upvote 5

@CTRLZero, is that the kitchen with the biffy right beside the range?  Who in the hell would think it's a good idea to put a toilet right beside the stove?

• Upvote 3

I agree with you @catlady about loft beds in tiny homes.  I just couldn't do it.  I can't imagine having to get up and down the steps in the middle of the night.  I may could do a tiny home by myself but with a husband? No way.  Also the ones I've seen on the show can run a little pricey.  I'd rather pay more for a home

• Upvote 3

@PennySycamore  It's a devastatingly bright yellow kitchen dated March 13, 2016.  I linked it here (I hope):

Wear sunglasses

My story:  I hoped to paint my own kitchen a creamy yellowish color, but when I had finished, it positively glowed like a neon lemon if the sunlight hit it just right.  Darn those little paint chip samples.  We lived with it several years (never got depressed, lol) until we recently remodeled our entire kitchen and neutralized the walls.

• Upvote 6

@CTRLZero, OMG, why would anyone do that to their kitchen?

A hint I've read in design magazines is to get a small can of a color of paint you may want to use and paint either a big patch on the wall with the paint or paint a poster board with it.  The advantage of the poster board is that you can move it around the room to see how it looks in various spots.

I need to test out some paint colors this week because my husband wants to paint my daughter's old room before we have a guest from Africa at the end of the month.  I also need to find an equivalent to Farrow and Ball's Ball Green.  I'd be willing to use F&B Ball Green in the sunroom, but it might be too pricey for the kitchen and family room.

6 hours ago, Nashville92 said:

I would like a house like this in the suburbs.  I don't want too much but a fenced in back yard with enough space for a dog.  A big kitchen would be nice with a walk in shower.  If I had children I would probably want something more private but this is a nice house to me.

505e0f8763c10850db00f5dd3ea16bcd.jpg

This looks like a nicer/cuter version of my current house. I really love it. I wish ours looked like this! I actually really like the floor plan in our house. But it was built by a "volume builder" so it's cheap-ish and cookie cutter. But we got to pick a lot of stuff for it when it was being built so it was fun. 

6 hours ago, TeddyBonkers said:

I found "For the love of old houses' on Facebook, and it is KILLING me. 

I'd love a pot-filler too, for canning. Mr. Bonkers can do the dumping for me. ;)

That is one of my favorite pages on FB! I love doing the little votes they have.

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/

Apologies for slight thread derail here. This is one of my favourite sites. 

Bookmarking this for later! I love looking at crappy pictures (and ugly/weird houses.)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I need to test out some paint colors this week because my husband wants to paint my daughter's old room before we have a guest from Africa at the end of the month.  I also need to find an equivalent to Farrow and Ball's Ball Green.  I'd be willing to use F&B Ball Green in the sunroom, but it might be too pricey for the kitchen and family room.

Try Dutch Boy's My Inner Sanctum

• Upvote 1

So my husband and I are planning on buying a house next year. Problem is that while we are newlyweds and will be first time homeowners, we aren't young and don't want a "starter" home - aka don't want to move again in a few years. So the down payment is a bit of an issue.

Really dreaming - this house would be almost perfect. I do want a deck and would love a three season room. And enough sun/yard to grow raspberries and blueberries. Sadly, it's about double our budget especially considering the smaller down payment we will be able to do (trying to base price only on his salary, not ours combined because the reality is with his schedule I probably won't be able to work full time if/when we have kids).

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3850-Clear-Creek-Ct-Mason-OH-45040/87993554_zpid/

Make the "formal" living room into a library (Ikea booshelves on all walls to the ceiling, even the "corner" adaptation), add an upright piano to the office along with yarn storage (love that window!) and make the bright pink 5th bedroom a playroom? As long as the basement is finished, there is a LOT there that we are looking for.

Open, but not too "all just one space" is a big plus. And HAVE to have a wood burning fireplace. Gas stove. Utility sink ( really missing having one in our current laundry area in our apartment). NO HOA. Need to win the lottery, I guess? 

• Upvote 2