IGNORED

Jana's Future 3 - Baking and Real Estate

DaisyD

I find astrology interesting. Not in an absolute truth sort of way. I also don't like generic descriptions that are meant to hit everyone. I do find it funny when everyone is in a bad mood and the technology is having a fussy day even if it's just heavily relying on a coincidence. 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

I really, really hope that office had a separate birthday party for each person. It'd be the month of birthdays. 

It was about 50 years ago and I vaguely think it was a very small office.

I promised myself last night that if this thread was still drifting on the subject of astrology today, I would post my favorite horoscope of all time.

Spoiler

One of my kids is a Sagittarius. Good thing I don't believe in astrology!

14 hours ago, singsingsing said:

There can be benefits to things like astrology and tarot cards even if they're not 'real'. If they force you to look at some aspect of yourself or your life in a way you never would have, they can be psychologically useful, just like prayer can be very psychologically (and physically) beneficial even if there's not actually any higher power listening. I think those things are dysfunctional when people use them to make major life decisions like, "Oh, he seems perfect but he's a Capricorn so I can't date him." Or, "I was going to take that job, but the cards warned me not to." Or, "I prayed about it and God told me it's okay to beat my wife."

I agree with this a lot. Anything that can make people examine aspects of themselves and their life when they wouldn't have otherwise, is beneficial in my opinion. I do have to bite my tongue when I see people dismiss it so easily. I would never try to force someone to believe it though, because it makes no difference to me. Either you agree with it because you find it accurate,  or you don't. I know I don't believe anything without evidence, and as I said before, I've very rarely seen it be wrong in my own life, to the point that I can't make myself believe it's all a coincidence. Although I'm not claiming to know exactly how planets would have an effect on personalities and life, but lots of things have lead me to believe that they do. But if someone else doesn't see it or think it's accurate, that's fine with me. 

But, I did try being in a relationship with someone I have horrible compatibility with because I really liked him and decided to overlook that, and literally everything I was hoping didn't happen, happened lol. :pb_lol:

12 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I promised myself last night that if this thread was still drifting on the subject of astrology today, I would post my favorite horoscope of all time.

Hide contents

One of my kids is a Sagittarius. Good thing I don't believe in astrology!

Oh god. 50 seconds and i am aleady laughing my ass off in the middle of the bus. :pb_lol:

I find astrology fun/funny in the way I do fortune cookies. Meaning, I add "in bed" to the end of horoscope and then I laugh.

25 minutes ago, jerkit said:

I find astrology fun/funny in the way I do fortune cookies. Meaning, I add "in bed" to the end of horoscope and then I laugh.

Adding in bed to anything is pretty funny :pb_lol: I never really read horoscopes but now I want to try that 

2 hours ago, jerkit said:

I did get a fortune in a cookie not too long before my daughter and her husband learned that they were approved to adopt a little girl from China that read "A stranger from a far away place will soon enter your life".  In that case, the fortune cookie fortune came true!

20 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I did get a fortune in a cookie not too long before my daughter and her husband learned that they were approved to adopt a little girl from China that read "A stranger from a far away place will soon enter your life".  In that case, the fortune cookie fortune came true!

My favourite: I'm prone to bad health anxiety, which flares up something fierce now and then. One time in particular I was with my family, and going on about all my health worries, stressing about the worries and the fact I couldn't stop stressing about them. We were eating Chinese food. I cracked open my fortune cookie and the fortune said, "Good health will be yours for a long time."

I also got a fortune cookie once that said, "A new member will be joining your happy family soon." We all laughed about it because none of us were even close to having kids or getting married or anything like that. But a couple months later to our total shock we discovered a very closely related family member via DNA, and looking back he would've been taking his test right around the time I got the fortune cookie.

No, I don't believe that there are metaphysical forces at work in mass produced cookies, but coincidences like that are really fun.

I think astrology is fun, I definitely don't snark on people who are into it. It can be interesting. (Especially when predictions are in your favor. ;) )

On 3/19/2017 at 2:40 AM, Shadoewolf said:

Its not just when we are older either. My oldest at nearly 17 gets a lot of flak from the girls in her choir for not having a boyfriend. It's not that she doesn't get lonely, Valentine's, Homecoming, etc are tough on her, more than I think she admits. But she's told me, and her classmates, that she has things in her life she wants to do first, and she doesn't need relationship drama getting in the way. I say good for her,  the classmates not so much. 

I also comment frequently to my almost 13 year old daughter that love is great but boys are yucky until she's 25. She once asked me why. I told her it's because she needs to figure out who she is, what she wants in life, and have a chance to pursue her dreams before worrying about making someone else happy. 

I feel sad for Jana because she has such potential and she's stuck in a world that will never let her pursue it fully.

I'm 19. I graduated HS in 2015 and I was somewhat bitter during my HS years because it seemed there were a lot of girls dating, even the freshmen and sophomores! But your daughter is right about relationship drama. None of the high school couples lasted. I got good grades, participated in the school musicals, and I still enjoyed prom with my friends. There is still plenty of time to meet someone in the future.

I'm the reverse. I'll be 27 in a few days and I wish I had dated more in high school/college. I don't feel like I have the ability to play the game that men play and they apparently don'tlike blunt women. Hah... plus meeting people as an adult is so difficult. I feel akin to Jana for that because neither of us are out in the world finding our men. 

On 3/24/2017 at 4:15 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I remember one time I was buying a copy of Astronomy  magazine and the cashier said, "Huh. I don't think I believe in that stuff." I was a bit flumoxed and just paid and left, but I sometimes wonder. Did she think it said astronomy or astrology? Did she really not believe in astronomy? Did she think those little lights in the sky are just fireflies or what?! I wish I had asked her what she meant. :tw_star:

I just popped into this thread, so forgive my late reply.  This reminds me of this one tour group I walked by while I was in undergrad.  The tour guide was talking to the the prospective students about how our school got rid of its telescope in the physics building, so we could no longer do astrology research.  Funnily enough, I was in a group that did supernova research for three of my years there.  *And* we had a secret telescope hidden on the top floor of the library that we were trying to fix :) 

@Pasta I feel the exact same way (I turn 28 this year), but not only with meeting a potential partner, but meeting people in general. How do you make friends when you're an adult and no longer in school? I don't have that many close friends and have quite recently moved to a new place, but I have no clue on how to actually meet new people and make friends. I guess I'll have to take a course in something or join some sort of organisation, but then you usually have to set aside a fixed evening of the week in order to do that, and right now I need a lot of flexibility. :my_sad:

@Icea there may be a local meetup group where you live. It's a good way to meet people. They have ones for different interests. Your local library may also have some programs. Mine has a few monthly book clubs. You can miss a month here or there. They also have various lectures and entertainment. You could always try speed dating. It can be fun if you don't have expectations. If someone's a dud you don't lose too much time on any individual.

@Icea, I hear you! You're not alone in it being a tough thing to meet people as an adult. I've had a lot of luck in going to the gym and taking specific classes, ie. seeing and chatting with the same people every week. Also tagging along with co-workers (the ones I like, ha) to happy hours. This might sound nuts, but my group of friends (about 12 in all, we're all very close) started by meeting on craigslist, just in the 'looking for friends' type section! Do you have that where you live, or is that only an American thing? I assume you're not american, since you used an 's' in organization. ;) 

Interesting but not surprising that Jana said in the Crown of Beauty interview that one of the verses that Encourages her and helps her is 1 Peter 3:4-6. Verses 5-6 are: "5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening."

I've also just realized how many people, fans and non-fans, say they love Jana and that she's the best out of the girls because she doesn't judge or bring up gays, abortion, etc. Lol. Once she gets married, she's gonna shock so many people. I personally think Jana will be among the strictest of all the D-offsprings. I find it very comical that people think that she's "different" from the fam and that she's delaying on getting married. Yeah right. She'll be the most conservative and fundamentalist. 

I could see Jana being very strict too. She's waited so long, she's probably only going to have maybe 5-8 kids- she can really focus on their indoctrination :( 

24 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

I could see Jana being very strict too. She's waited so long, she's probably only going to have maybe 5-8 kids- she can really focus on their indoctrination :( 

I somewhat disagree, I couldn't imagine Jana being "strict" per se. I do think she has the loving-but-no-nonsense-allowed vibe, though not as strong as Jessa towards the young ones. But Jana's kids I could see being much more sheltered (relatively) than Jessa, Jill, or Jinger's, but not quite as much as the girls were in the prairie-dress days. I feel like Jana's experience as a young parent will be the most similar to Michelle's, out of all the girls, simply because she's spent so much time basically parenting on behalf of older-Michelle. 

@snickers34 Thanks for the advice :) I'm from Sweden and we don't have craigslist here, but I think there might be some groups on facebook similar to that.

@justmy2cents I'll see whether my library has something.

As for Jana, I think it could go either way. I can definately see her being the strictest, since she and JD probably took the heaviest blow of Michelle and JD joining Gothardism, but at the same time she is one of the few Duggarlings who we've seen express some individual thoughts and not only re-hashing the same old same old.

Somewhere I read that Jana works for IBLP aaaaaaaannnnnd I was definitely curious so I started looking. All I could find was a site called what net worth.com aaaannnnd she's apparently worth $400,000. They say she works for Journey to the Heart through IBLP. Probably she is not walking through this journey of employment. I can't find anything, y'all, about anything indicating that Jana has an actual future. It is definitely the season of her life where people give her flowers though. 

What source did that come from? Probably just speculation. BTW I think I read somewhere that Jessa makes that same amount, about 400K. Jana obviously used to work on those retreats but I havent heard anything about her going in years. Her  sisters have also "worked" and volunteered as a counselor. And whenever Jana or her sisters went, it was never long term as in like a summer job. As far as I know, no Duggar has ever worked (medium or long term) for the institute or any of its programs. 

Those guesstimates of income or net worth on the internet are worth exactly what we pay to read them - nothing. 

I've never known of a Duggar working for IBLP either.  Wasn't be a counselor for JTTH more like a volunteering for it and then not having to pay for the Journey?

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived