• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

No one at home gets my love of British tv. ☹️

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Ridiculous!

Wouldn't Keeping Up Appearances make a great alternative title for the Duggars' show or anything in that vein? :D

2 hours ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

No one at home gets my love of British tv. ☹️

Keeping up with appearances was one of my favorite shows growing up. I don't know why a 9 year old girl loved it, but I did. 

47 minutes ago, December said:

Wouldn't Keeping Up Appearances make a great alternative title for the Duggars' show or anything in that vein? :D

Perfect! 

Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar of Dibley, and All Creatures Great and Small were the shows of my childhood. I also loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail, despite most of the jokes flying over my head. I convinced my Girl Scout troop that our mascot should be a killer rabbit. British TV is just excellent!

11 hours ago, jozina said:

Actual LOL at black being a primary colour.  "Would it surprise you if I told you that it is a proven fact that not everyone can wear black and look nice in it?" Proven how?

All these years that I've lived in Seattle and I have yet to see a single data point in support of this proven fact.

My home must be cleaner than I give myself credit for, because very rarely do I get dust on myself when cleaning. We do clean more than once every 3 months.  I also manage to cook without getting food on myself a good 95% of the time.  Homemaking talents. I have them apparently.

Proverbs 16:18. Re-read it, Suzy Homemaker.

16 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Proverbs 16:18. Re-read it, Suzy Homemaker.

Yower!  Remind me not to go up against you in a Bible text battle.:laughing-rofl:

I like aprons.

You British tv fans should check out "Coupling". That show was utterly hilarious. Seriously. Find it. Watch it. You'll thank me.

@DaisyD best show ever... I have the DVD collection.   I know the US tried a version, but the UK  version rocks.

"Still not much of an inferno, Steve"

17 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

Keeping Up Appearances, The Vicar of Dibley, and All Creatures Great and Small were the shows of my childhood. I also loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail, despite most of the jokes flying over my head. I convinced my Girl Scout troop that our mascot should be a killer rabbit. British TV is just excellent!

I feel that this deserves a shout out! Just Brilliant 

There was another show, it was kind of like the American show "Leverage". I really enjoyed that one too.

7 hours ago, DaisyD said:

There was another show, it was kind of like the American show "Leverage". I really enjoyed that one too.

Would that have been 'Hustle' with the late Robert Vaughn and Adrian Lester?

This is making me think about the series I need to set up to watch when the babies arrive. Think I'll re-watch 'Spaced'. Good Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson comedy.

I love this thread drift, much more fun than a 17 (?) year old facing her fears.

I think my all time favorite when it comes to british tv shows is Green Wing, but I also really like the IT crowd, Black Books and panel shows like QI and 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. 

42 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I love this thread drift, much more fun than a 17 (?) year old facing her fears.

I think my all time favorite when it comes to british tv shows is Green Wing, but I also really like the IT crowd, Black Books and panel shows like QI and 8 out of 10 cats does countdown. 

Green Wing!! I need to put that on the list to watch too. Thanks for the reminder:my_smile:

If you liked Shameless, check out Abbott's police show, No Offence (though it might be too Manchester-specific for people outside the USA!)

8 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Would that have been 'Hustle' with the late Robert Vaughn and Adrian Lester?

This is making me think about the series I need to set up to watch when the babies arrive. Think I'll re-watch 'Spaced'. Good Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson comedy.

That's the one! I loved that show.

I'm a bit late but I did so much at school with art in primary school! I would have loved to continue art in high school but I was almost always forced to choose between art and drama and drama was what was expected of me (and it was the easiest A imaginable) so I did that. Stuff I remember learning from primary school art:

Colour theory
Sculpting with clay and firing our work
Learning to carve designs out of rubber mats and stamp them to create prints (I forget what the actual medium is called)
Creating our own cross stitch design and stitching it ourselves (to this day I love cross stitch and embroidery!)
Painting ceramics and glazing them
Creating a miniature model town (an entire town - each student had to make one building, a house or a store of their own choosing) and then writing a murder mystery based in that town, with the winner's story made into a skit on a kid's news show (that happened to be me)
- Creating our own Cryptozoic animal with paper mache and any other mediums we liked

I mean, grated I went to an amazing private school but I've very rarely seen any of those things done in home school other than cross stitching and maybe some sculpting and rudimentary colour theory.

It depends on what the parents consider important as to what the kids study when homeschooled. My son did quite a variety of art, both at home and in group activities. He also sews and quilts. All of my kids do. Some families focus more on STEM coursework, some focus on religious coursework, but if the parents want their kids to be exposed to lots of art, there are plenty of opportunities. I don't even live in a city, and I was able to provide a good variety.

It also depends on interests. I find ways for the more artistic child to have outlets (she's in public school). They boy's more interested in history, so I help him with reenactment stuff.

To me, that is one of the big advantages of going to school. Let's say my little guy is really in to art, and I am a history buff. I could probably do a really good job finding all kinds of great art and/or history experiences and learning moments. But those subjects we enjoy and are good at would probably always be prioritized at the expense of other subjects. And since I hate math, it would be hard for me to help him learn to love it, or maybe even learn it at all (even though he might have been good with a better teacher). 

@BackseatMom, this is exactly my issue.  I'm good teaching my kid the stuff we like - it's the other stuff that I would prefer a professional teach her.

That being said, I've been doing quite a bit of math demonstration lately, because for some reason she is not getting it when it's explained in class.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived