IGNORED

The Invisible Jinger (and Her Preacher Man Jeremy)

choralcrusader8613

For those wondering why Jinger and Jeremy were wearing hats indoors, Laredo went through a relative cold snap recently.

I've noticed that homes in places that tend to be warm also tend to have lower quality insulation, so that no matter how much you crank the heat on a chilly day, it's not as warm as you like! Sometimes it just feels better to be cozy in a hat indoors.

IMG_0017.PNG

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Jinger had a photography instagram, not an anti abortion, look at my outfit one, but one where she could share her interest in photography. 

2 hours ago, seasonsoflife said:

I wish Jinger had a photography instagram, not an anti abortion, look at my outfit one, but one where she could share her interest in photography. 

I wonder if maybe she does, but under a fake name. 

You say that, but like with anything remotely redeemable about any of their personalities her pictures would end up on here being scrutinised, just like the shots she's taken before.

43 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

You say that, but like with anything remotely redeemable about any of their personalities her pictures would end up on here being scrutinised, just like the shots she's taken before.

You are probably right.

I do hope though that is she does go into social media she does something productive with it, photography could be that thing.

And I sure do hope she can keep pursuing it at least as a hobby. Moving to a new city can be a good way to reignite a photography interest. So many new things and places and people to capture. 

But if she goes into social media just to be an ass as the rest of her family, I'd rather not know anything about her life. 

Do we know if Jinger really even likes photography or if it was just a Gothard acceptable activity? Sort of like Jana being a Doula because Jill needed an accountability buddy. I have always wondered this because other than cooking, cleaning and sewing, is there really any acceptable hobby other than photography for young, single women? Maybe Jinger was deemed the family photographer as Sarah Maxwell was given the writer slot in the family. 

29 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

I would not be too harsh. I'm much more harsh about the Duggars nasty beliefs, poor parenting, and smug behavior. But when they try to get creative when they've lived such a sheltered life, I give them all a pretty big pass. I doubt much creativity was nurtured in the TTH.

5 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Do we know if Jinger really even likes photography or if it was just a Gothard acceptable activity?

I think it's basically impossible to tell something like that, especially since there are so few "acceptable" activities by their standards. Hopefully, she can find herself now with some distance from the TTH. Not saying she's about to break out of the religion stuff, but maybe she can at least have the chance to expand her horizons a bit.

So far I like how JinJer have dealt with the "fans" and social media. The website is basically the same as before, his sermons. A couple of videos to appease everyone. They have kept us talking, I'm sure JB is thrilled to have them to use for promotion, and I bet leghumpers are over the moon and neither of them have to deal with anyone. 

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would not be too harsh. I'm much more harsh about the Duggars nasty beliefs, poor parenting, and smug behavior. But when they try to get creative when they've lived such a sheltered life, I give them all a pretty big pass. I doubt much creativity was nurtured in the TTH.

Let's be honest, not much is nurtured in the TTH. The children weren't, they were passed off to buddies as soon as they hit 6 months. Their minds weren't, homeschooling wasn't top priority. Their bodies weren't truly nurtured until TLC came around, I'm sure that they had more mouths to feed than food. No there's not much nurturing in that house. 

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

Do we know if Jinger really even likes photography or if it was just a Gothard acceptable activity? Sort of like Jana being a Doula because Jill needed an accountability buddy. I have always wondered this because other than cooking, cleaning and sewing, is there really any acceptable hobby other than photography for young, single women? Maybe Jinger was deemed the family photographer as Sarah Maxwell was given the writer slot in the family. 

Is that really why she was "trying" to be a Doula???

1 minute ago, ClaraOswin said:

Is that really why she was "trying" to be a Doula???

I believe so. Can't have a young unmarried woman going out alone.

When Jana wanted to go on a mission trip they sent JD with her, then in the next episode said he asked to go. They forget what they've said, then look like idiots.

I don't think she would get much harsh criticism.  

Her previous photos were presented to us (though not by Jinger herself) as being from this super great, professional photographer.  And they, well, weren't anywhere close to that.  It was like calling Jana a concert pianist: she doesn't suck at piano, shes MUCH better than most people, but she's NOWHERE NEAR a concert pianist and that's an insult to those people who have actually obtained that level of skill to group them together.  And that changes how we look at things.  With that context, it's natural for people to have a more critical eye.  

But when you present something as "Hey, it's just hobby, I'm not the best but I'm trying!", there's very rarely any overly critical responses here.  Like Jessa and her cooking, Erin Paine and her decorating, etc.  Sure, people express their opinion about it, but they really don't go crazy criticizing something that a person is just working on for fun or trying to improve.  

We all have hobbies that we love but aren't the absolute best at.  We get that.  The real issue is that frequently with the Duggars, they try to lie and pass themselves or their work off as something BETTER than what it truly is.  If Jinger were to start a photography blog where she tries to pretend she's something she's not, I would be critical.  Just for fun?  Or as she takes classes? THAT is awesome!

It's not about the photos or the hobbies these girls have or whatever, it's about the lies and half truths.  

22 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

We all have hobbies that we love but aren't the absolute best at.  We get that.  The real issue is that frequently with the Duggars, they try to lie and pass themselves or their work off as something BETTER than what it truly is.  If Jinger were to start a photography blog where she tries to pretend she's something she's not, I would be critical.  Just for fun?  Or as she takes classes? THAT is awesome!

It's not about the photos or the hobbies these girls have or whatever, it's about the lies and half truths.  

snipped because this is the relevant thing to what I want to say, but I think the whole "look, Jinger is a photographer! Jana is a doula/concert pianist!" thing was part of their process of normalizing the Duggars. "See, we aren't part of a cult that hopelessly restricts adult women's life choices! Our daughters are professional XYZ thing that just so happens to be acceptable to our cul--uh, in the context of their beliefs, which they totally chose themselves!" The one exception is Jill, who I think sincerely wanted to be a midwife but was limited by her circumstances/upbringing/what have you, hence the bare minimum she did. 

ETA: not that jinger and jana don't have respective interests in photography and piano, but they tried to normalize themselves by trying to pass off those two as professionals.

11 hours ago, Iokaste said:

I guess Jinger is kind of showing us the benefits of slipping through the cracks and not beeing mommy and daddy's favourite when it comes to fundy-families.

She never did seem especially close to either of the parents, with Jana playing the oldest-daughter/co-mom part to perfection,  Jill hogging the holier-than-thou-limelight and Jessa beeing the prettiest, there just wasn't that much use for Jinger and she seemed freer to find her own way through, without the total parental neglect of the younger kids. 

She was close with Jessa and I think they've been a real emotional support to each other over the years, but I can definitely see Jinger keeping her distance after Jessa married the baffoon. Jinger is too smart to buy into the "Bin is handsome and scholarly", and deep down I think she knows that paring is way off.  

I see her and Joy being really good friends after Joy is married. Joy is kind of in the same boat, only she was almost totally ignored by mom & dad and raised by Jillymuffin. Joy seems to have little use for Jessa and her and Jana seem like they get along, but they are very far apart in age and it is very noticeable at their current ages.  She was really upset when Jill left but seemed fine after a few weeks/months and here and Jinger seemed to spend a lot of the last 2 years together without Jill & Jessa dominating their time, it almost seemed like they discovered their really liked each other.   at least that is the impression I got. 

7 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I don't think she would get much harsh criticism.  

Hmmm....I won't speak for everyone, but I will say that I find myself rolling my eyes and then working hard to ignore plenty of comments that are just downright petty here. The Duggars have plenty of legitimate reasons to be snarked upon (politics, famewhoreness, etc), but it seems like people obsess over the silliest things sometimes. Sorry if this is board-on-board posting - please let me know if I should remove this...

On 21/12/2016 at 8:32 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Jinger said at one point that her hair changed and became curly.  It's wavy/curly now in its natural state.  It looks better to me that way than when she straightens it.

I stand corrected. I must have missed that mention about her hsir....

FJ (collectively) has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the Duggars public statements, but details can be confused or misremembered. I try not worry when I get corrected cause it's going to happen. And no one FJer has complete and perfect information, except perhaps for @halcionne, but she has spreadsheets and mystical God-like powers :) 

Hmmm....I won't speak for everyone, but I will say that I find myself rolling my eyes and then working hard to ignore plenty of comments that are just downright petty here. The Duggars have plenty of legitimate reasons to be snarked upon (politics, famewhoreness, etc), but it seems like people obsess over the silliest things sometimes. Sorry if this is board-on-board posting - please let me know if I should remove this...

We aren't TWOP. You can board on boards all you like here.

Despite certain people's opinions, no mod here is Howard. :-P

Jinger's new style is really similar to how I tried to adapt my fundie wardrobe when i was trying to look more "normal". Long skirts with an edgy print, blazers, semi-fitted knit tops etc. 

It's just so challenging... unless you've been forced to wear restrictive clothing and make the best of it, you really don't know how it messes with your head. So much pressure, and such a tiny range of acceptable options to express oneself with it's insane. 

I feel so bad for the Duggar girls, but especially Jinger and Joy, who just don't seem to naturally want to go along with fundie dress code. I can see them making small efforts to flaunt the rules just as, I did. 

For instance: the church rules said sleeves had to be below the elbows, so I'd always go with 3/4 length sleeves. 

I'd wear long ankle-length skirts, but they'd be fitted and flared only as I needed to walk comfortably. Rule was that skirts had to be well below the knee.

I eventually got shunned completely... people could see my heart wasn't in following the rules anymore. Cults are harsh if you don't conform, of course now I see it as a blessing, but at the time it broke my heart. All of these girls have a lot to lose if they don't follow the rules.

1 hour ago, formerhsfundie said:

Jinger's new style is really similar to how I tried to adapt my fundie wardrobe when i was trying to look more "normal". Long skirts with an edgy print, blazers, semi-fitted knit tops etc. 

It's just so challenging... unless you've been forced to wear restrictive clothing and make the best of it, you really don't know how it messes with your head. So much pressure, and such a tiny range of acceptable options to express oneself with it's insane. 

I feel so bad for the Duggar girls, but especially Jinger and Joy, who just don't seem to naturally want to go along with fundie dress code. I can see them making small efforts to flaunt the rules just as, I did. 

For instance: the church rules said sleeves had to be below the elbows, so I'd always go with 3/4 length sleeves. 

I'd wear long ankle-length skirts, but they'd be fitted and flared only as I needed to walk comfortably. Rule was that skirts had to be well below the knee.

I eventually got shunned completely... people could see my heart wasn't in following the rules anymore. Cults are harsh if you don't conform, of course now I see it as a blessing, but at the time it broke my heart. All of these girls have a lot to lose if they don't follow the rules.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Duggar girls having a lot to lose if they wore pants. I don't think there would be major repercussions if Joy decided To go with pants after she marries Austin and is always at their camp. It's just practical and I bet most would understand. Maybe Jinger would have more blow back since she's a pastor's wife and is used as an example. 

Even if Jinger starts wearing jeans, it doesn't really matter as her ideology Will likely stay the same. She married someone whose mother wears pants but yet Jeremy still firmly has the same belief system as Jinger. Pants aren't going to make her more liberal or open-minded. I almost always wear pants. If I suddenly only wore skirts it wouldn't mean I have become a super conservative. It would just be a clothing choice. Screwed-up ideology is their problem, not clothing. Pants won't fix the problem. 

I personally don't think skirts are modest. They're usually tight and very body conforming which can be more defrauding than pants. Fundies should stick to frumpers... in leopard print. Hah!

I know this topic has been discussed to death (but then that's true of a lot of topics here :pb_lol:) but I disagree with people who say that starting to wear pants means nothing. It definitely doesn't mean they have changed their whole belief system (I know multiple IBLP families where the women wear pants and don't dress noticeably differently than anyone else), but it is significant when those girls have been raised to only wear skirts. It shows, just a very tiny bit, that they are thinking for themselves and challenging the rules they were raised with.

Anecdotally I knew a fundie family that was skirts only. The first external sign that they were moving away from being strictly fundie was that the women started wearing pants. They are still conservative Christians but now they aren't as strict and the girls have actually gone out on their own and gotten jobs and further education. I was really surprised and impressed by the changes that family made because they had been one of the strictest fundie families I knew.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived