IGNORED

Sierra: Loving God Into Existence Through Her Husband

choralcrusader8613

On 1/9/2017 at 8:12 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

She's not under any obligation to do this, but I hope that through her friendship with the Duggar girls, she's able to show them that healing from trauma is hard, but with love and support (and not asshole parents who keep letting your abuser have access to you), you can keep on trucking, and reassures them that what happened was not even remotely their fault.

I was impressed by the fact her husband is the one who encouraged her to start her business. I may have snarked on her chocolate dipping but the fact that her husband encouraged her to be something more than just a mom is pretty impressive. Sierra might end up being my little pet fundie. 

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sierra has been my sorta pet fundie for awhile now. I don't talk about it much :pb_redface: Some of her beliefs are so poisonous but I love watching her zest for life and how she truly seems to enjoy her children

2 hours ago, eandre31 said:

Sierra has been my sorta pet fundie for awhile now. I don't talk about it much :pb_redface: Some of her beliefs are so poisonous but I love watching her zest for life and how she truly seems to enjoy her children

I could see that. My pet fundie is Caroline from the Modest Mom blog, but Sierra would be a close second. As long as I don't have to actually watch her, I enjoy her.

I always liked Sierra more than the other fundies, even on 19 kids and counting. She seems a little bit hyper and I don't know if I could handle her energy in real life but it is ok to watch.

I'm a little bit older than her, no children. I often imagine myself being 26 again but instead of studying and traveling, being at home with 5 little children and in a cult. And I feel sorry for her. I would have done much worse than her. If I would have been in her situation at 26 years old, I would look 40 and totally unkept and not being able to be positive an any way at all. So she fascinates me just by keeping it together.

36 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't get what that term "pet fundie" means exactly.

A pet fundie is your favorite fundie, someone you have a soft spot for, you might be less likely to criticize them and more likely to defend them or at least defend some of what they do.

Sierra seems a lot more "real" than any Duggar. She admits sometimes her lifestyle overwhelmed her, and her husband actually encouraged her to do her own thing and start a business, however small. I didn't know much about her until now, and I actually kind of like her, despite the fundieness. I did think she looked far older, but I chalked it up to having so many kids so young. 

When I was 24, so just a little younger than her, I found out I was pregnant. Now granted I had just left the (emotionally abusive) dad, so I would've been a single mom, but there's NO WAY I could've handled being a mom of even one back then, single or not!! I miscarried, and it was probably for the best for everyone. Even now, 34 and happily married, I'm only starting to think I could maybe handle one! It blows me away that Sierra and other fundies have these huge families so young. Without wine. 

So, I have Sierra on Pinterest. Have for some time now, before I knew she was a fundie or anything, and I feel like I could just, I dont know, hang out with her if she wasn't such a fundie.  Seeing what she has gone through and how encouraging her husband is, and how she still is all excited about pretty much everything has given me some more respect for her. I wish she didn't have such extreme views, but girl, you do you. And Mr Sierra.... I stand and applaud you.  Not one in one hundred fundie husbands would be as supportive as you are.

On 1/11/2017 at 0:22 AM, grandmadugger said:

I was impressed by the fact her husband is the one who encouraged her to start her business. I may have snarked on her chocolate dipping but the fact that her husband encouraged her to be something more than just a mom is pretty impressive. Sierra might end up being my little pet fundie. 

This is exactly how I feel. It obviously took courage for her to share that post. I think Mark doesn't sound too bad for a fundie husband. Some of the progressive (used relatively!) fundie women run businesses from their own homes, like the doughmestic housewife website. So as not to break the biblical rule that they seem to believe means that's where a woman's place should be. After homeschooling and house cleaning and community work, they can run their online business or home business (how she has any energy left is beyond me). It's an interesting intersection between modern technology and throwback gender roles. But in the context I would so much rather be Sierra than Michelle.

On 14.1.2017 at 5:44 AM, princessmahina said:

I could see that. My pet fundie is Caroline from the Modest Mom blog, but Sierra would be a close second. As long as I don't have to actually watch her, I enjoy her.

Caroline is your pet fundie? That surprises me. I have been following her for years, but never had that kind of "feelings" for her. Oh gosh this sounds so wrong :-D :-D

I have mixed feelings about Sierra. I kinda like her, but at the same time she is annoying AF. But she is one of the fundies that I would have loved to get to know if they hadn't chose the dark pathway to fundiedom.

Re: Mark, remember that they met when he decided to antagonize her for her unholy Eye of Horus tattoo. She was a teenager and he was not. She was on the job and unable to remove herself from the situation or really fight back. I just don't see him as a cut above the typical domineering, manipulative fundamentalist patriarch.

Holy FUCK with the baby voice. She sounds like one of those squeaky toys for dogs that grate on your last nerve (you only have to watch the first second or so to hear what I'm talking about):

4 hours ago, JillyO said:

Holy FUCK with the baby voice. She sounds like one of those squeaky toys for dogs that grate on your last nerve (you only have to watch the first second or so to hear what I'm talking about):

Is 30 pounds normal for a baby? It sounds like a lot

1 hour ago, Gillyweed said:

It's on the plump side. My youngest, who was only 7 pounds at birth, hit 30 pounds by his first birthday, inspite of subsisting solely on breast milk. 

I like when these fundies post videos of them and their children because they usually say their children's names and that the way I can learn how to say their kids names.

Thirty minutes of Bible time? Our Sunday sermons don't last that long and they are at least interesting.

Good point about Mark, I didn't think about the age difference in terms of when they got together and the power differential. The problem with the whole context is nothing is really empowering for women as long as the role is defined as unequal and the place is in the home. I guess when I say, if I was part of the cult, I'd prefer a husband who encouraged a home business to one that didn't is more out of empathy than saying "wow, Mark is more liberal" since either situation is really so extremely conservative and oppressive to women.

19 hours ago, JillyO said:

So in other words she is in over here head and shouldn't have any more kids.  Right?

On 1/2/2017 at 10:17 AM, ClaraOswin said:

I knew celiac was autoimmune but I had no idea diabetes was. You learn something new every day.

I'm pulling this back from the beginning of the thread...

Type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease while type 2 diabetes is a metabolic disorder.

In type 1 (t1 from here on out) something causes the immune system to go haywire the t-cells go rogue and attack the beta cells in the pancreas. The beta cells are responsible for insulin production. Eventually all of the beta cells have been destroyed and a person becomes a t1 diabetic. They rely fully on injected insulin to survive. There is no cure, no easy fix, no diet or herb or any other "treatment" other than injected insulin. A child diagnosed with t1 will never grow out of it, they will be t1 for their entire life. It is a big challenge to keep blood sugar in range using injected insulin. A person with t1 struggles with high blood sugar when they don't get enough insulin and low blood sugar when they get too much. Getting a perfect amount of insulin is near impossible, using injected insulin is like trying to fix a watch with a sledgehammer, it's hard.

Without insulin from injections or an insulin pump (injections or pump are just a means to get insulin into the body. A person on a pump doesn't have "worse" diabetes than someone on shots) a t1 would die in a matter of days from diabetic ketoacidosis. This is where the cells in the body can't use glucose for fuel, because insulin is what allows the glucose to get into the cell, no insulin=no glucose in the cells, so the body begins to burn fat which produces ketones. The body struggles to get rid of the ketones but it can't and eventually there are so many ketones that the blood becomes acidic leading to organ failure, coma and death. This is not the same as ketosis when someone is low carb dieting.

signed

The mother of a type 1 diabetic child

*steps off soapbox*

Back to your regularly scheduled Duggar drama!

So in other words she is in over here head and shouldn't have any more kids.  Right?

Righttt! That being said I think she's due for an announcement. [emoji849]

Sometimes I talk to my cats in that voice and they look at me like I've lost it.

On 1/21/2017 at 6:54 AM, Gillyweed said:

There is a pretty wide range of "normal" for babies and toddlers. I think most doctors just keep an eye on whether or not the child stays on the same curve, or whatever. I don't know how old she is so I am not sure what percentile she falls into. I have known babies who are over the 99th percentile though. I think Sierra seems like the type to stay up on well visits for her child, so if there would be an issue, I see her being on top of it. Her kid just looks like a chunky baby to me. If she's breastfed, it's also common for those babies to be chunkier for a while...but then thin out quicker later on.

(Though for me, 30 pounds that young is crazy because my 3 year old is just over 30 pounds. Ha!)

18 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

(Though for me, 30 pounds that young is crazy because my 3 year old is just over 30 pounds. Ha!)

granddaughter #2 is 37 pounds...she's 7. there's a reason we call her lil bit :)

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived