IGNORED

Sierra: Loving God Into Existence Through Her Husband

choralcrusader8613

I know. I wish they could figure it out. It sucks. When I was in school, I only knew a couple people with food allergies. But it's so common now. Maybe it's just something to do with evolution...ha!

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family lunch today. Daughter is allergic to cashews and pistachios, BIL to sesame seeds and poppy seeds, MIL to Brazil nuts or maybe it's walnuts, nephew allergic to eggs, peanuts, niece allergic to eggs, peanuts, dairy.  

At least no ones celiac! 

I have hard that many allergy related deaths years ago were probably blamed on asthma. 

50 minutes ago, Karma said:

Family lunch today. Daughter is allergic to cashews and pistachios, BIL to sesame seeds and poppy seeds, MIL to Brazil nuts or maybe it's walnuts, nephew allergic to eggs, peanuts, niece allergic to eggs, peanuts, dairy.  

At least no ones celiac! 

I have hard that many allergy related deaths years ago were probably blamed on asthma. 

What did everybody eat, or were the meals modified to suit each person?

I have been known to deconstruct a meal and have every ingredient in a separate bowl for each person to construct their own plate to their own specific needs.

I know a young couple who is planning on getting married next summer. He can't eat gluten and she can't eat dairy. They're joking about making a spread of delicious food and then telling the guests, "Doesn't it look great? Now, you can't eat any of this. That's what it's like to be us!" At least I hope they're joking...

@Percy we had a BBQ with salad, bread rolls with no seeds.  Just a simple meal.  A custard type dessert but also a fruit platter. Can't do a fruit salad because daughter and niece are intolderant to kiwifruit, strawberries and pineapple.  The one time I had a lunch at my place for this side of the family plus my self diagnosed gluten intolerant friend I vowed I wouldn't combine this group of people again!  

6 hours ago, Karma said:

At least no ones celiac! 

Two of my brother's kids have life threatening food allergies. Milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy. I can never remember who has which though. And years ago, I remember them going through this long process at the allergist to desensitize my nephew to something. Food allergies scare me so much. I keep seeing stories of deaths. And yet so many people don't take them seriously these days. I blame people who "self diagnose" an "allergy" and then tell people about it.

We have 2 who celiac's....my uncle and my cousin's daughter (she's only 3 so it super sucks.)

I also hate people who don't take allergies seriously. I have an egg allergy, it's not life threatening but it can give me extreme discomfort, my neighbour keeps bringing me things which contain eggs and then gets really mad when I refuse them. I do think that self diagnosis do have something to do with it and people should really consult a doctor if they think they have an allergy. 

10 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I know. I wish they could figure it out. It sucks. When I was in school, I only knew a couple people with food allergies. But it's so common now. Maybe it's just something to do with evolution...ha!

I think there is some sort of reason.....when my now 22 year old was an infant and toddler he had food triggered migraine's. He screamed and screamed until I figured it out with a friend who had had the same problem with her kids. I used chiropractic and applied kinesiology and it took some years but the migraine's are done. He does have some autoimmune compromise for sure. 

I have never been a great healthy eater.....I do think that the presence of white flour and sugar in our culture is not good. I would love to know the concentration of food allergies per culture.....there has to be a reason. I have a book, which I haven't read, lol, about an MD who has MS, was in a wheelchair and then went on a specific version of the Paleo Diet and drew back her symptoms. I saw her on YouTube and she looks fine and is fine. Processed food, and dairy are not really our friends in many cases. 

The Wahls Protocol is the book. I should read it. But then I'd have to give up sugar. It really is an amazing thing. 

There is a huge difference between an allergy and an intolerance. Intolerances can be become better and even disappear by cutting out the cause for a certain amount of time (very individual).

I think it is a mix of self-diagnosed, imagined allergies/intolerances (that make people claim wrong relations and than I stop treat them seriously) and the way we produce our food. Monoculture, over-cultivating  certain traits in lifestock and plants, genetic and conventional interference on seed multiplication. Mixed with pressure to become better and envolve yourself all the time. Be thinner, fitter, funnier, more gentle, happier, more disciplined- you name it. Of course people feel bad and uncomfortable and some develope symptoms. They might be psychosomatic or real- doesn't make a difference because you suffer anyway.

For the people interested in paleo: I don't think it is possible. You will never find fruits and vegetables that are the same as then (as soon es men cultivated food they started to choose their seeds for reasons- like increase of natural sugar in fruit and vegetables). And then civilation began after men started agriculture. That gave us the opportunity to rise. (See also the explanations about malnourishment and brain development in the Dillard thread).

2 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I think there is some sort of reason.....when my now 22 year old was an infant and toddler he had food triggered migraine's. He screamed and screamed until I figured it out with a friend who had had the same problem with her kids. I used chiropractic and applied kinesiology and it took some years but the migraine's are done. He does have some autoimmune compromise for sure. 

I have never been a great healthy eater.....I do think that the presence of white flour and sugar in our culture is not good. I would love to know the concentration of food allergies per culture.....there has to be a reason. I have a book, which I haven't read, lol, about an MD who has MS, was in a wheelchair and then went on a specific version of the Paleo Diet and drew back her symptoms. I saw her on YouTube and she looks fine and is fine. Processed food, and dairy are not really our friends in many cases. 

The Wahls Protocol is the book. I should read it. But then I'd have to give up sugar. It really is an amazing thing. 

What you are describing is a food intolerance not an allergy. I guess when I say food allergy...I am talking about an actual allergic reaction....which can cause anaphylaxis. People who call their intolerances "allergies" are really causing a huge problem, in my opinion. Because then so many people hear "allergy" and think it means if the person eats that food...they'll get a stomach ache or headache or whatever. But NO. They could DIE. Big difference. It makes me extremely pissed off. Those are the people I was talking about earlier who don't take actual allergies seriously. 

I am confused a bit by your post, actually. Are you saying  chiropractic and applied kinesiology got rid of your kid's supposed food allergy?? Or maybe I am reading that wrong.

I didn't say he had an intolerance or an allergy. I said he had food triggered migraines. It was a huge issue and the doctors, MDs, were just rude about it at the time. 

I am talking about reasons for the collective issue of situations like my son's, intolerances, allergies, and these situations which are more prevalent now. 

I don't know why. How could I...I am putting out my thoughts.

Please don't accuse me of "causing a big problem". I understand anaphylaxsis and did not say anything about anyone other than my son, his issue was changed by kinesiology/chiropractic and a strict diet. I don't know the reason he had this issue and it was quite difficult. I always totally accommodate people with an issue with what they eat. 

My daughter's immune system is so out of whack that if she binges on a food, she will shortly develop a life threatening allergy. We keep Epipens and Benadryl with everyone in the family for her. Her big one is macadamias- she ate a whole bag of cookies with her friend and by the time she got home, a distance of 5 blocks, she was cover with large hives and wheezing. Straight to the ER with her-the hives lasted for about a week. She must alternate foods-not eat the same thing more than twice in a row. For awhile it was cranberries-she binged on cransins- this one got better after not eating them for )six months or so and only eating one or two bites, with Bigfoot standing by with Epipen and benadryl (they did not consult ne before this experiment:my_angry:)

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I didn't say he had an intolerance or an allergy. I said he had food triggered migraines. It was a huge issue and the doctors, MDs, were just rude about it at the time. 

I am talking about reasons for the collective issue of situations like my son's, intolerances, allergies, and these situations which are more prevalent now. 

Please don't accuse me of "causing a big problem". I understand anaphylaxsis and did not say anything about anyone other than my son, his issue was changed by kinesiology/chiropractic and a strict diet. I don't know the reason he had this issue and it was quite difficult. I always totally accommodate people with an issue with what they eat. 

Okay. I guess with the way the conversation was going, I just assumed you were adding to the talk of allergies.

3 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I had food triggered headaches for most of my life that I just sort of brushed off. In my 20s some of my food sensitivities developed into full blown life threatening anaphylaxis-it's weird it happens in combination with intense exercise. It's something called exercise induced anaphylaxis. Basically I would not react to food triggers, or react very mildly, but if I exercised within 4-6 hours after eating a trigger food I go into full anaphylaxis. I now avoid my trigger foods completely and am careful about exercise. The middle of a run is not when you want to start experiencing anaphylactic reactions believe me.

So while I get when people roll their eyes that everyone on a diet is suddenly "insensitive" to gluten, food sensitivities are real and sometimes linked to allergies in weird ways we don't understand.  

41 minutes ago, sunshine said:

My interest in piqued. Who are the couples getting married in the 2017?

At first I thought it was a pregnancy announcement.

Ok I'm going to sound like a bitch but those ring pop things are ugly as hell. Looks like something a group of pre-schoolers would make.

13 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Ok I'm going to sound like a bitch but those ring pop things are ugly as hell. Looks like something a group of pre-schoolers would make.

they also look like they'd be messy and/or difficult to eat. i never got the whole "pop" concept (cake-pops and so forth).  food on a stick was never my thing.

Just a little FYI. Celiac is not an allergy or an intolerance it is an autoimmune disorder just like diabetes or lupus. Do to our lack of medical research, it wasn't even recognized as a real thing until after world war 2 diet changes are the only treatment for it. 

40 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Just a little FYI. Celiac is not an allergy or an intolerance it is an autoimmune disorder just like diabetes or lupus. Do to our lack of medical research, it wasn't even recognized as a real thing until after world war 2 diet changes are the only treatment for it. 

Yes. DIL has celiac and I always have to be careful not to cross contaminate when she visits.

9 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I knew celiac was autoimmune but I had no idea diabetes was. You learn something new every day.

17 hours ago, Snarkle Motion said:

*snip*
So while I get when people roll their eyes that everyone on a diet is suddenly "insensitive" to gluten, food sensitivities are real and sometimes linked to allergies in weird ways we don't understand.  

Yeah-it's not always simple and straightforward.
I have food allergies (diagnosed, by doctors) that do NOT result in anaphylaxis reactions.  They result in an upset stomach, a headache, throwing up, sometimes a rash, etc.
They don't even trigger my migraines.  
I don't tend to say "oh, I'm allergic to X, can't have it", because it is more medical information than I need to share.  But I never appreciate people telling me that I"m wrong, I'm not allergic, because it's not serious--I know my medical history, I know my illness(es), I'm not 'sensitive' to the food, I'm allergic to it.

Generally the only way to deal with or engage people on their health crap is to accept that they've experienced their own bodies and listen to their needs.

44 minutes ago, dawbs said:

Yeah-it's not always simple and straightforward.
I have food allergies (diagnosed, by doctors) that do NOT result in anaphylaxis reactions.  They result in an upset stomach, a headache, throwing up, sometimes a rash, etc.
They don't even trigger my migraines.  
I don't tend to say "oh, I'm allergic to X, can't have it", because it is more medical information than I need to share.  But I never appreciate people telling me that I"m wrong, I'm not allergic, because it's not serious--I know my medical history, I know my illness(es), I'm not 'sensitive' to the food, I'm allergic to it.

Generally the only way to deal with or engage people on their health crap is to accept that they've experienced their own bodies and listen to their needs.

That was actually exactly my point. That the allergy and food sensitivities are linked in weird ways not always clear. What started out for me as headaches (I also threw up occasionally) later resulted in anaphylaxis in my 20s. It's an allergy. Trust your body. I am validating your experience by saying that my sensitivities I had noticed turned into full blown anaphylactic reactions later in life and the medical world doesn't fully understand food allergies and why we react the way we do.

I suppose my perspective is a bit different. When your nephew almost dies because some moron likely thought his "allergy" meant he'd get a stomach ache or rash...you tend to get pretty pissed off about the subject.

1 hour ago, Snarkle Motion said:

That was actually exactly my point. That the allergy and food sensitivities are linked in weird ways not always clear. What started out for me as headaches (I also threw up occasionally) later resulted in anaphylaxis in my 20s. It's an allergy. Trust your body. I am validating your experience by saying that my sensitivities I had noticed turned into full blown anaphylactic reactions later in life and the medical world doesn't fully understand food allergies and why we react the way we do.

Same. For a while my tongue would feel "weird," almost numb and I would get almost instantaneous huge canker sores. I attributed it to not washing the fruit well enough or other things. That progressed into skin rashes and ear "itching" with clear fluid pouring out of my ears. Every so often my lips and tongue will start to swell but it hasn't been "textbook" anaphylaxis yet. I've been warned it's playing with fire and it will be anaphylaxis one day. 

I have gone into anaphylaxis twice for environmental allergens; once at a friend's home that had 6 cats roaming and once at another home filled with mold. 

The issue is this semi-mild reaction happens with 5/10 foods I eat per day with no rhyme or reason. I have one autoimmune disease currently and clearly my immune system is hyper-active. You better believe the ~3 times a year where I allow someone else to prepare the food I eat, I list my known reactions as allergies. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived