IGNORED

The Resistance (signs of hope)

RoseWilder

"‘This is not Trump’s America!’: Passengers rejoice when man accused of racism is kicked off flight"

“Goooodbyeee raaacists!”

That was the blunt — and unquestionably sarcastic — message one heated passenger delivered to a man and a woman as they were being kicked off a United Airlines flight Saturday evening for causing a disturbance that was blamed on racist comments.

The confrontation on Flight 1113 from Chicago to Houston began several minutes earlier, when a Pakistani man and woman wearing traditional clothing were boarding the plane, according to VHF affiliate KHOU.

As the couple placed their bags in an overheard bin, a male passenger — who was not identified by the airline — asked the couple if they had a bomb in their luggage, another passenger sitting nearby told KHOU.

“That’s not a bomb in your bag, is it?” the man said, according to the passenger who was not identified by KHOU. The passenger added that the couple did not immediately hear the comment, which prompted the man to repeat his remark.

KHOU reported that a woman sitting nearby alerted a flight attendant, which led other passengers to also complain about the man’s questions. When the Indian American boyfriend of the woman who alerted the attendant complained, a heated exchange followed.

“The person ahead of us turned around and asked where my boyfriend was from; my boyfriend said it’s none of your business,” the woman told KHOU. “At that point he said all illegals and all foreigners need to leave the country.”

Cellphone footage of the incident shows the man saying all the “illegals” need to kicked off the plane, moments before the man and woman are asked to collect their belongings and exit the aircraft.

“I didn’t say anything,” the man protested, shrugging.

“Happy flight home,” he added seconds later while his female companion holds her middle finger up to the person filming. “I hope you stay there.”

“Get out of here,” a woman responded. “Racists aren’t welcome in America! This is not Trump’s America!”

“Goooodbyeee raaacists!” the woman added.

“Hey, I’ll come back, but you’ll be gone,” the man said as he walked away.

There are some good people out there. Hopefully the idiots and racist thugs will be outnumbered in the long run.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

“Get out of here,” a woman responded. “Racists aren’t welcome in America! This is not Trump’s America!”

I wish the airline had named the couple.  They merely put them on another flight, so the racists were scarcely inconvenienced.  In any event, I am glad other passengers stood up against hate.  We all need to be doing this, in "not Trump's America".

Resistance begins at home.

My in-laws are true to the death GOP and both voted for Trump.  FIL has been rather quiet about it, at least with Mr. and myself,  but MIL goes on and on about "Trump this" and "Trump that" to anyone around her including her cleaning lady and patrons in the restaurant that she and FIL now frequent.  Mr. No talked to her last night and while FIL cautioned her not to talk politics (even FIL seems to sense that he might actually offend his son for a change) she could not help herself and started ranting about illegals and other races.  When Mr. No described the converstation, I told Mr. No that I don't want to see his folks for a while.  I am through with being polite.  I cannot abide this kind of hate talk and there's no way in hell I can listen to it even for the sake of "family", so we are giving her a time out until she realizes that Trump isn't doing for her what she thinks, or he gets impeached, or something.

At least my nearly 90 year Dad isn't this crazy.   This is one of the ways that he is not Maxwellian.

@nokidsmom I'm not to that point, yet. I have several families members who would vote for a literal duck if it was the Republican candidate and sing it's praises day in and out. My stance currently is stop biting my tongue on my own political views and to point out how Trump's policies will have negative impacts on people in our family, because i've learned "other people" aren't really real to them. They lack the ability to imagine that there are things in this world that they have not experienced.

But if they get that nasty, then I will walk away. I love them. They are not "evil" just immaturely selfish and not very bright people. But I won't want to expose myself to that kind of toxic mentality.

1 minute ago, Terrie said:

@nokidsmom I'm not to that point, yet. I have several families members who would vote for a literal duck if it was the Republican candidate and sing it's praises day in and out. My stance currently is stop biting my tongue on my own political views and to point out how Trump's policies will have negative impacts on people in our family, because i've learned "other people" aren't really real to them. They lack the ability to imagine that there are things in this world that they have not experienced.

But if they get that nasty, then I will walk away. I love them. They are not "evil" just immaturely selfish and not very bright people. But I won't want to expose myself to that kind of toxic mentality.

I lol'd at the duck comment.   That's my in laws, if it's Republican they will vote for it, even if it's an orange alien from another planet.  Oh wait, they might have done something close to that last November, nevermind......

Mr. No. has tried to talk to them for years about how voting GOP is against their interests meaning their interests as they define them personally.   That's how they think, they cannot understand the broader picture, only what's in it for them, how it will affect their life.   And yet the disconnects abound.   For example, they need health care personally but cannot understand what repealing the ACA means.   Since Mr. No has already had these conversations with them over many years, the next step is limit our contact with them.   

2 hours ago, Terrie said:

I have several families members who would vote for a literal duck if it was the Republican candidate and sing it's praises day in and out

Heh, I was just thinking earlier this week if I scrawled an "R" on the side of one my cast iron skillets, and put a handgun and a Bible inside, it could challenge Governor Abbott in 2018.

17 hours ago, Terrie said:

Okay, holy shit. I posted an article on FB about what Trump's trips, such as to Mar-A-Lago, are costing in terms of security. My aunt, who is the most outspoken of a Trumpeters in my family, commented "I haven't heard of any family trips. I call BS. Plus, he's not taking a salary." (The headline referred to "family trips" as in "travel by the Trump family" not vacations). I asked if she's read the article and pointed out that any time the prsident travels, that costs moneyt for security and Mar-A-Lago, which has exposed shoreline along two side, is extra difficult. The president gets 400,000/year, plus 100,000 non-taxable travel money, and Trump has more than burned through that.

She read the article and basically had to agree that travel = tax payer money spent.

I'm still giving her the side-eye, because I doubt she's every willing to admit she voted for a disaster, but at least I have a way to respond that seems to work.

2 hours ago, Terrie said:

Okay, holy shit. I posted an article on FB about what Trump's trips, such as to Mar-A-Lago, are costing in terms of security. My aunt, who is the most outspoken of a Trumpeters in my family, commented "I haven't heard of any family trips. I call BS. Plus, he's not taking a salary." (The headline referred to "family trips" as in "travel by the Trump family" not vacations). I asked if she's read the article and pointed out that any time the prsident travels, that costs moneyt for security and Mar-A-Lago, which has exposed shoreline along two side, is extra difficult. The president gets 400,000/year, plus 100,000 non-taxable travel money, and Trump has more than burned through that.

She read the article and basically had to agree that travel = tax payer money spent.

I'm still giving her the side-eye, because I doubt she's every willing to admit she voted for a disaster, but at least I have a way to respond that seems to work.

I hate when Branch Trumpvidians say, "but he isn't taking a salary." Big freaking whoop. That's only $400,000 a year, which is a pittance compared to the extra money he has cost us in fewer than six weeks.

2 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I hate when Branch Trumpvidians say, "but he isn't taking a salary." Big freaking whoop. That's only $400,000 a year, which is a pittance compared to the extra money he has cost us in fewer than six weeks.

If the projected extra security costs for his first month in office are even remotely close, he has burned through two terms worth of salary and travel allotment PLUS $2 million more. 

Okay, back to some good resistance news, on the roll back of the transgender bathroom guidelines. Here's a cheer out to the many locations, such as Philadelphia and NYC, who have said "Doesn't matter if we're no longer required to do it. We're going to keep doing it." 

Ha, even Mexico is resisting!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-mexico-idUSKBN1631UQ?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Mexico does not need financial aid from the United States, Interior Minister Miguel Angel Osorio Chong said on Friday, after President Donald Trump ordered a report on U.S. assistance to its southern neighbor over the last five years.

Mexican officials gave a cool reception to U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly during a visit on Thursday, and Osorio Chong's comments are another sign of growing self-assurance in Mexico's dealings with Trump.

And Vancouver, BC (snipped from article in The Seattle Times):

“Vancouver mayor asks developer to dump Donald Trump’s name from city tower,” read the Toronto Globe and Mail headline on a December 2015 story that noted a petition along the same lines had gathered 50,000 signatures.

Mayor Gregor Robinson’s message was fairly pointed: “Trump’s name and brand have no more place on Vancouver’s skyline than his ignorant ideas have in the modern world,’’ he wrote. Not surprisingly, the Vancouver paper reported this week that Robertson won’t be attending the opening.

First, interesting that they didn't want the Trump brand prior to the election (note December 2015 date).

Now, just prior to the official opening, from the city council, the mayor, and a petition circulating among local citizens, there is an outcry to dump the Trump name.  This is the first (hopefully only?) Trump project on the west coast.  Someone is trying to organize a protest, of course.

3 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

And Vancouver, BC (snipped from article in The Seattle Times):

First, interesting that they didn't want the Trump brand prior to the election (note December 2015 date).

Now, just prior to the official opening, from the city council, the mayor, and a petition circulating among local citizens, there is an outcry to dump the Trump name.  This is the first (hopefully only?) Trump project on the west coast.  Someone is trying to organize a protest, of course.

If I were the owner, I'd dump the name.  It's surely going to be more of a hindrance than a help at this point.  Especially in Canada, land of the sane people.

"A Day Without a Woman" is the women's general strike planned for March 8.  The guidelines for women participating are that they are not to work or spend money (unless they are spending it at a woman- or minority-owned business.)  A local school district just announced that due to the high volume of female employees taking sick or vacation days on March 8, they are cancelling classes for students that day.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article136063013.html

The Johnson County, Iowa Sheriff has decided its gonna tell Agent Orange's DHS to find their own damn help for raids.

kcrg.com/content/news/Johnson-County-Sheriffs-Dpt-will-not-participate-in-immigration-raids-if-they-happen-415521563.html

"Law enforcement helps each other and frankly if immigration reaches out to us and tells us we're going to do a raid, that's for them to do, that's their work" said Johnson County Sheriff Lonny Pulkrabek.

The Johnson County supervisors are preparing to vote tomorrow on whether the county should adopt a policy that is close to sanctuary status for illegal immigrants. The resolution would not allow county resources to go toward enforcing immigration policies. Resolutions give guidance on policies to employees in the county. But they can't dictate policy to elected officials in such areas as the Johnson County Sheriff's Office.

“The Johnson County Sheriff will not honor voluntary detainer requests nor will the Sheriff’s Office assist United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) in immigration enforcement raids. The Board of Supervisors supports the County Sheriff’s position. Further, it is the position of the Board of Supervisors that the County will not assist I.C.E. in immigration enforcement raids. Nothing in this statement will preclude County offices in assisting or participating in lawful warrants and criminal investigations, nor will this statement preclude Department of Homeland Security grant-procured items from being used as required by law.”

Iowa City is in Johnson County, so it's a still one of the more liberal areas of the state so this is not surprising.

Which means the teabilly fucksticks will be whining again about how Iowa City.  I wouldn't be surprised if Steve King tries to stab Johnson County in the back, he's such a brownshirt fuckhead.

On 3/2/2017 at 6:50 PM, GeoBQn said:

"A Day Without a Woman" is the women's general strike planned for March 8.  The guidelines for women participating are that they are not to work or spend money (unless they are spending it at a woman- or minority-owned business.)  A local school district just announced that due to the high volume of female employees taking sick or vacation days on March 8, they are cancelling classes for students that day.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article136063013.html

I have mixed feelings on this.  On the one hand it is peaceful protest that is (still) our right.  On the other hand as a parent I know what a mess it can be when schools are closed and you don't have child care.

http://wtop.com/alexandria/2017/03/alexandria-schools-close-wednesday-day-without-woman/

ETA Some schools are open to serve breakfast and lunch which is a good thing.  Some kids depend on school lunches.

9 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I have mixed feelings on this.  On the one hand it is peaceful protest that is (still) our right.  On the other hand as a parent I know what a mess it can be when schools are closed and you don't have child care.

http://wtop.com/alexandria/2017/03/alexandria-schools-close-wednesday-day-without-woman/

ETA Some schools are open to serve breakfast and lunch which is a good thing.  Some kids depend on school lunches.

Maybe people should start appreciating what women bring to the table, stop trying to legislate the removal of their bodily autonomy, and start treating them like equal human beings if they don't want the hassle of trying to figure out what to do with their kids when women strike.  

1 hour ago, Childless said:

Maybe people should start appreciating what women bring to the table, stop trying to legislate the removal of their bodily autonomy, and start treating them like equal human beings if they don't want the hassle of trying to figure out what to do with their kids when women strike.  

I so agree. It made a difference in Iceland, where they had a women's strike in 1975. That led to some updated legislation. Unfortunately, it probably won't happen here, with idiot Repubs in charge.

I am going to be striking tomorrow for the "Day Without a Woman." I understand how lucky I am that my job allows me to take vacation and whatnot, so I am striking for everyone who can't attend for any reason (like one of my friends, who's a teacher, and has said she'd feel guilty for leaving her kiddos with a sub for a day to strike.) At the event in my city,  demonstrators are encouraged to wear red. Women who would like to attend but are unable to for any reason are encouraged not to spend any money that day in solidarity, to show what the econonic impacts of not having women around looks like for just one day. 

ETA: You guys are already talking about this, so I need to read threads all the way through before commenting in the future, haha.

I am not striking, but will be avoiding spending money. Later this week, going to the Central Committee for my district's local democratic party. Also going to the People Power training from the ACLU on Saturday and maybe a town hall meeting with local reps. Yeah, busy week for me.

Some members of the CA Womens' Caucus came to address a crowd of spectators dressed in red at the steps of the Capitol yesterday, myself and dear hubby included It was SO uplifting!

We were told to wear the label of feminist loudly and proudly, to not be afraid to run for office, to raise our sons to be allys, and to keep up the fight for women's and lgbqt rights, for our daughters and granddaughters!

20170308_125814.jpg

20170308_123602.jpg

20170308_124407.jpg

20170308_122928.jpg

About 60 people in Dubuque attended an ACLU livestream of how to resist the Presidunce and his GOP groupies;

kcrg.com/content/news/Dubuquers-attend-livestream-of-ACLUs-Resistance-Training-event-415967473.html

Discussion centered around finding ways to resist the Trump administration.

Steve Drahozal, one of the organizers for the live-streaming event, said, "We've seen that the Trump agenda is one that suppresses civil liberties. So we just want people to be aware of their rights. So this is the first of many discussions that we are going to be having."

People had many different reasons for attending.

Elaine Klein says an important issue to her is protecting the environment.

Viva La Resistance!

Today I went to my Senator Bob Casey's Townhall. It was packed and I felt the resistance through people's questions. He told us to keep fighting the good fight!

I just saw this about a new resistbot that can be used to fax congress people.

good.is/admin/preview/post/anti-trump-tech

Nearly two months into Trump’s presidency, we’ve seen all the stories imploring us to write, call, and fax our senators about the issues that matter most to us. We’ve done our best to digest and implement most of them. Of course, GOOD is certainly guilty of adding to the mounting pile of well-intentioned suggestions, mostly because we can’t imagine not. But we really mean it this time when we say there’s a tech tool that will take the headache out of reaching out to your congresspeople. It’s called “Resistbot,” and it’s by far the easiest way to gradually chip away at Trump’s spirit.

Text “resist” to 50409.

Once you’re happy with your message, Resistbot will format it to look professional and fax it to both of your senators.

And that’s about it. Should you want to fax your representatives as well, you can always text Resistbot your full address.  You can text “resist” any time you want to send another message, as well as edit or preview a letter before you send it. Launched on March 8, the bot is already receiving some positive attention. But don’t assume its designers are merely targeting progressives. As one of the cocreators, Jason Putorti, told Recode via email, “We will faithfully deliver any message our users send in, but the voice of the product is for the liberals and conservatives in opposition to the Trump administration.” (The emphasis is Putorti’s.)

Archived