IGNORED

The Resistance (signs of hope)

RoseWilder

"200 buses have applied for city parking on Inauguration Day. 1,200 have applied for the Women’s March."

Far more buses have applied to secure parking through the city for the Women’s March on Washington the day after inauguration than for the inauguration itself, D.C.Council member Charles Allen said Thursday.

Allen (D-Ward 6) said at least 1,200 buses have applied for permits to park at RFK Stadium in Washington on Jan. 21, the day of the Women’s March on Washington, while 200 have applied for parking the day before, Inauguration Day. NBC4 first reported the figures. RFK has a capacity of 1,300 buses.

RFK Stadium is the main city-run parking option for charter buses over that weekend. Buses can still find their own parking outside RFK, so these numbers do not necessarily reflect all of the buses that will be headed to the District for inauguration or the Women’s March.

The D.C. Council is scheduled to hold a hearing Thursday on inauguration readiness and logistics.

The District’s Department of Transportation is running the parking and permitting process at RFK and says there are other parking sites in the city at locations such as Union Station and the Navy Yard.

I have a feeling that the Women's March is going to be much bigger than the Repubs think.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"200 buses have applied for city parking on Inauguration Day. 1,200 have applied for the Women’s March."

I have a feeling that the Women's March is going to be much bigger than the Repubs think.

There's even a Facebook page locally for people to arrange to take the rail system to downtown LA's Women's March. Several who know how to knit or crochet are making pink pussy hats for people to wear as well. There's also this site: https://www.pussyhatproject.com/

@Blahblah, I freaking love that description of Trump's inauguration!  My TV is not going anywhere on Friday but TCM as I prepare to get on the bus for the Women's March on Washington.  I read the other day that police in DC (o whomever does this) had to only approve 200 bus permits for the Inauguration.  For the Women's March, over 1200!

Btw, I am getting ads for free tickets to the Inauguration at the top of FJ.  Getting desperate aren't we, Donnie?

I'm jealous. I'd love to go, but have mobility issues that preclude my being able to walk for any distance. I will definitely be there in spirit. A couple of good friends will be at the DC event.

CNN published a good article with info. It looks like lots of celebrities will be there.

For all FJers going, please stay safe! Oh, and take lots of pictures to share, please!

So wish I could go!  Lack of money and vacation time precludes it though.  Good luck to all the marchers!  I'll be there in spirit and I plan to watch it on TV.

On 1/16/2017 at 7:02 AM, PennySycamore said:

@Blahblah, I freaking love that description of Trump's inauguration!  My TV is not going anywhere on Friday but TCM as I prepare to get on the bus for the Women's March on Washington.  I read the other day that police in DC (o whomever does this) had to only approve 200 bus permits for the Inauguration.  For the Women's March, over 1200!

Btw, I am getting ads for free tickets to the Inauguration at the top of FJ.  Getting desperate aren't we, Donnie?

Donnie?! :laughing-rolling:

Perfect. Donnie the Little Orange Shit Nugget 

Can anyone help me with this?  I am having a hard time coming up with what I want to write on my sign for Saturday's Women's March Against the Inauguration of Donald Trump.  I usually use humor, sometimes my only desire is to be really cutting. 

I need something else, I need to be taken seriously.

@Carol, @ShepherdontheRock had a status update on the same thing. My suggestions were: 

• You thought we were nasty before?
  • This Pussy Grabs Back
  • Left or Right We Can All See Wrong
  • Make America Think/Love/Kind/Tolerant/Nasty Again
  • Nasty Women Unite

http://www.freejinger.org/profile/21235-shepherdontherock/?status=3449&type=status

Had not considered a sign, although I'll be going to a local protest on Friday and the local Women's March on Saturday. 

They are scrubbing the White House website, but have left the petition generator up!  I just signed.

The “We the People” petition site created by the Obama Administration has been kept live by President Donald Trump's team as it relaunches the White House website, and the only petition now on the site, which has been wiped clean of Obama-era requests, demands that the new commander-in-chief release his tax returns.

“The unprecedented economic conflicts of this administration need to be visible to the American people, including any pertinent documentation which can reveal the foreign influences and financial interests which may put Donald Trump in conflict with the emoluments clause of the Constitution,” the petition reads.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/immediately-release-donald-trumps-full-tax-returns-all-information-needed-verify-emoluments-clause-compliance

The lawsuit regarding his conflicts of interest and the Emoluments Clause has been filed (CREW v. Trump). If anyone wants a good non-lawyer explanation of the suit and the initial legal hurdles it has to over come go to lawnewz.com opinion section. I'd post link but I'm computer illiterate on my phone. With this it looks like President Cheeto is getting it from multiple fronts. Protests, lawsuits, low ratings...

20 minutes ago, Roux said:

The lawsuit regarding his conflicts of interest and the Emoluments Clause has been filed (CREW v. Trump). If anyone wants a good non-lawyer explanation of the suit and the initial legal hurdles it has to over come go to lawnewz.com opinion section. I'd post link but I'm computer illiterate on my phone. With this it looks like President Cheeto is getting it from multiple fronts. Protests, lawsuits, low ratings...

There is also some good info on The WaPo website. Even if this one doesn't win, methinks it is just the tip of the iceberg.

The ACLU has already stepped up: "In First of Many, ACLU FOIA Request Seeks Information About the New President’s Conflicts of Interests"

Cruising around the ACLU website, there are some petitions to sign. Folks here may be interested. One is to the Office of Government Ethics about the FOIA request for Agent Orange's finances.  Another is to tell lawmakers we are not pleased about some of the insane restrictions being placed on reproductive rights.  They just got some of my $$.

The WaPo also had a good article: "The liberal tea party movement has begun. What will become of it?". It's a lengthy article, but this part is very important:

FOR DEMOCRATS, A CAUTIONARY TALE IN THE TEA PARTY MOVEMENT:

Right now, the Democratic coalition is united in opposition to Trump. But the edifice could begin to show cracks as issues like Obamacare replacement and infrastructure spending come to the forefront.

While a lot of establishment leaders – like John Kerry – came out for the Women’s March, it was revealing that the leading candidates for DNC chair were instead courting deep-pocketed donors at a conference put on by David Brock in Florida. That they were not out in the streets, standing in solidarity, didn’t go unnoticed among some grassroots leaders.

The Democratic establishment is giddy right now about all the new enthusiasm, but veteran organizers warn that it will be harder than it looks to channel it toward sustained engagement in the political arena. “Saturday’s marches, which featured speeches from many leading Democrats, were not explicitly Democratic events,” Dave Weigel and Jenna Portnoy note. “Melissa Byrne, a candidate for DNC vice chairman, said that the crowds … will encourage even more people to become activists. But having organized for Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign and for the Occupy D.C. movement, she saw how the new activists would be tested even if the rallies grew in size. ‘People are going to get frustrated, because you want your wins to come quickly,’ she said. ‘For people who are new to this, it takes a while to get that.’”

After the governor’s races in Virginia and New Jersey this fall, next year’s biggest battles in the midterm elections will play out on deeply-red terrain. There are just two clearly at-risk GOP senators up for reelection, in Nevada and Arizona. Jeff Flake, the Arizona senator, is more worried about getting toppled during the primary by a challenger who has the endorsement of President Trump than losing in the general election. Few GOP senators have separated themselves more from Trump.

There was also a good piece in the Richmond paper about the importance of this year's Virginia Gubernatorial election.

CNN has been on my shit-list for awhile now, but I'm beginning to be hopeful that they're improving a bit: 

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1/23/1624011/-CNN-refused-to-air-the-White-House-press-conference-live-Others-should-follow-suit

When the White House announced over the weekend that they will be having a press conference, they didn’t tell us—including the media—what it’s about.

Red flag, right? 

That’s what CNN thought, too, which is why they decided to pass on airing the press conference live. 

Producers at the cable-news outlet, owned by Time Warner, this evening decided to see what was said at the press event, according to a person familiar with the network, then play relevant parts as deemed necessary.

Archived