IGNORED

Whitney and Zach Bates- Part 2

samurai_sarah

sans-titre2.jpg

I thought Zach's outfit looked familiar - it was one of the "family photos" from a few years ago, right down to the tie.  Probably most of his colorful shirts are from previous family pictures where they color-coordinated (red, aqua, blue, etc.).

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/12/2016 at 10:23 PM, marmalade said:

No one made it a Southern thing. Just a Whitney and Michael thing. 

I teach grammar/writing on the west coast. Trust me, since it's no longer taught in schools, I see kids at the community college level who can't write themselves out of a paper bag. 

ie. This is a failure of the educational system as a whole. A student can luck out into an excellent school system where teachers can fit grammar into a lesson plan, or private schools whose curriculum varies from school to school. The rest of the kids are screwed, and I have to correct grammatical errors that should have been fixed by 7th grade. 

Frankly, ESL students receive the best indoctrination into English grammar of anyone studying in the US today. They have to take SEMESTERS before they can be passed forward into Freshman English. 

Agreed I teach secondary school English (middle and high school age in the US I believe). The amount of basic grammatical mistakes I have to fix is ridiculous and some are so basic they should have been ironed out in primary school! 

I even have come across  A-Level Students (17-18) wishing to study English at university who cannot understand basic principles or write coherent papers with correct grammar and spelling! 

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Agreed I teach secondary school English (middle and high school age in the US I believe). The amount of basic grammatical mistakes I have to fix is ridiculous and some are so basic they should have been ironed out in primary school! 

I even have come across  A-Level Students (17-18) wishing to study English at university who cannot understand basic principles or write coherent papers with correct grammar and spelling! 

I make mistakes once in a while, especially when I ramble. However, I noticed in high school that so many of my classmates didn't put any effort into proper spelling or grammar. For example: saying of instead of have. Like, she should of bought that top. College students seem to do much better.

Given the level of understanding of grammar and spelling the current PEOTUS exhibits it'll become a whole lot harder to argue that you need to be good at either to make it far in life -.- "unpresidented"...

I suggest a YouTube search for "mountain talk documentary". Watch it and some of the other videos. You will see what I mean.

I'm a college educated Southerner. I can speak and write proper English. But once I'm around my own kind, proper grammar goes flying out the window. My accent is very hillbilly southern, proper grammar or not.

1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

I suggest a YouTube search for "mountain talk documentary". Watch it and some of the other videos. You will see what I mean.

I'm a college educated Southerner. I can speak and write proper English. But once I'm around my own kind, proper grammar goes flying out the window. My accent is very hillbilly southern, proper grammar or not.

I like to think of it as being fluent in more than one dialect of English.

11 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I'm a semi-college educated Southerner...didn't finish my bachelor's. I've also done professional technical writing, curriculum development and teaching. HOWEVER...I do have a southern accent. I say "fer" instead of "for", "y'all" and "all y'all", and the madder I get, the thicker my accent gets. The funny part? I speak Spanish without a trace of gringo accent of any sort. 

I'm also a complete grammar/spelling nut when it comes to the written word. 

17 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I like to think of it as being fluent in more than one dialect of English.

because it is! Like speaking RP English and Scots, or High German and Bavarian. 

Whitney has been wearing pants quite often lately. 

10 minutes ago, Trapdoor said:

Has Whitney always worn pants? I see on an instagram story her wearing jeans. I can post it if it's allowed. 

She was "convicted" to wear only skirts when she married into the family. There was some video of her with a couple of Bates girls (Carlin and Tori?) discussing it - somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

She comes from a non-fundie family and has been clever with the cropping of her photos on social media so some have suspected perhaps she's been wearing pants in private for a while.

That sounds so ridiculous, fundies and their weirdo made up rules. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

44 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

She was "convicted" to wear only skirts when she married into the family. There was some video of her with a couple of Bates girls (Carlin and Tori?) discussing it - somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

She comes from a non-fundie family and has been clever with the cropping of her photos on social media so some have suspected perhaps she's been wearing pants in private for a while.

That sounds so ridiculous, fundies and their weirdo made up rules. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

It's hard to keep up with who follows what rules. I saw the pic and was shocked to see the very tight jeans without a skirt on top to make it right with Jesus. 

33 minutes ago, Trapdoor said:

Has Whitney always worn pants? I see on an instagram story her wearing jeans. I can post it if it's allowed. 

Found it on Lily and Ellie's blog:

"For those who have asked, Whitney and Zach say they have prayed about the standards and convictions they will hold for their family. Whitney does wear pants, but out of respect for the convictions that her in-laws have, she only wears skirts when she is around them or filming for the show. But she says she knows Gil and Kelly love her regardless of what she wears."

25 minutes ago, Trapdoor said:

It's hard to keep up with who follows what rules. I saw the pic and was shocked to see the very tight jeans without a shirt on top to make it right with Jesus. 

I saw it and was surprised too, Kaci has been photographed in jeans/pants so hopefully they're relaxing the skirts-only for Jesus nonsense. Yes, I know she is only a baby.

Kelly has been pretty clear that her rule is while you're under her roof, you follow her clothing specifications - e.g. Ashley Sayler on BUB adding skirts/dresses to outfits she'd previously worn without. I think Whitney wanted a good start with her future mother in law and went along with it. 

And also what @IzzyM posted above!

26 minutes ago, IzzyM said:

"For those who have asked, Whitney and Zach say they have prayed about the standards and convictions they will hold for their family. Whitney does wear pants, but out of respect for the convictions that her in-laws have, she only wears skirts when she is around them or filming for the show. But she says she knows Gil and Kelly love her regardless of what she wears."

I always wonder how much of that is "out of respect" and not "out of guilt or shaming"..... 

Yeah it's pretty obvious that Kelly and/or Gil are not comfortable with females in pants. So I still stand by it's a pretty gutsy move to publicly wear pants if you were first introduced to said public as skirts-only.

d6cb3ba7c2240098682bed3605cfe3e2.png

They said that their children can wear what they want in their homes. I don't understand the hubbub about their clothing. Unless you want to discuss how they don't seem to be wearing "resale" clothing any more. Under armor isn't cheap where I live. 

Alyssa (and Allie) also wear pants which helps Whitney. If a bio daughter did it first then they cant be mad at her.

I read it, @ladyaudley

I think it was overall quite good advice.  Drink lots of water, don't eat in the evening, work out 3x a week.  It's reasonable and might work for many people. No wonder she looks so great now.

6 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

I love the plastic bags around Bradley's shoes :D did anyone read her "how I lost the baby weight so quickly" instagram?

I never put plastic bags over my shoes as a kid, but I did put them inside of my shoes when I played in the snow. It went like this : thin socks -> thick socks -> grocery bag -> old shoes. It worked pretty well to keep my feet from getting wet. 

I don't think many southern kids own snow boots! 

Is it slippery with a plastic bag over your boots though? Or because your shoes have some type of grip that you're okay walking around with them?

4 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

I never put plastic bags over my shoes as a kid, but I did put them inside of my shoes when I played in the snow. It went like this : thin socks -> thick socks -> grocery bag -> old shoes. It worked pretty well to keep my feet from getting wet. 

I don't think many southern kids own snow boots! 

This is how we did it growing up. It didn't snow enough for it to be worth buying snow boots. I would think plastic bags on the outside would make you slip a lot. 

16 hours ago, Pasta said:

They said that their children can wear what they want in their homes. I don't understand the hubbub about their clothing. Unless you want to discuss how they don't seem to be wearing "resale" clothing any more. Under armor isn't cheap where I live. 

I actually agree about the hubbub being a little overblown.

I know a lot of people from conservative background who dress more conservatively when in the presence of their parents/grandparents and I don't find it that weird. 

Hell, m parents are far from fundie, but I have some articles of clothing (thigh high boots, very low cut tops) that I wear and my mother is aware I own....but I don't wear them to her house either because it feels a bit weird to wear them around my parents. 

21 hours ago, IzzyM said:

To the bolded:  Was this really a question?  Why say it at all?  I imagine they'd love her pretty much no matter what, but that doesn't mean they don't thoroughly disapprove and make sure she knows it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived