• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
samurai_sarah

Whitney and Zach Bates- Part 2

283 posts in this topic

But if you raise your daughter in a patriarchal system it's different. It's the context that makes it creepy, not the sentiment itself.

I received Valentine's Day things from my Dad all the time and no it wasn't the least bit creepy. That being said, context is everything. Most of our Dad's, or husband's, who are doing this would never think about giving that child a purity ring, making her court, making her save her first everything for marriage. The sentiment is always sweet and yes, it made me go awwe. At the same time, my heart twisted because is it the start of "Daddy knows best, follow his authority, until you're married." 

Even as a grown adult I still get a few flowers from my father every Valentine's Day.  It's just a sweet tradition he started when I was kid.  He's bring home flowers for my mom, and give me a couple.

With that said - there's none of the creepy purity connotations to it, and he recognizes the fact that I'm a grown ass adult and that he's got no say in my love life (or as is the case right now, lack there of).

I got Valentines as a kid too, but they were a joint present from both parents. I never questioned that; Valentine's Day to me is about love, no matter the form.

I made cards for my parents and always received a card and a present of some kind in return. When I was older I got flowers and candy, but it was never creepy. My toddler son LOVES holidays of all kinds, like his mama, so he got a card and some small things. We also made Valentines for his friends and it was adorable watching him basically throw the card at them and scream HAPPY BALENTIES DAY! 

Kaci Lynn is 8 months old. I guess that means it will soon be time to expect another announcement. Although maybe the will stop at 2. :pray: