IGNORED

Does anyone else speak to their pets in another language?

DaniLouisiana

Okay, I'm probably weird but I would like to know if I'm alone in this. When I want my furkids to mind me, I use a non-English language (sorry, best way I could think of to put it).

Sam , I use German. Thanks Gramma Vi!

Gabriel (orange) is German too, even though he glares.

My Diable Noir, Remy (c'mon Marvel Universe fans-tell me you get it!), is French.

I stumbled on this purely by accident. I read an article by a circus animal trainer who said, "All animals understand German.". My hubs spoke German to Gabie all the time and Gabe would grumble but do what he was asked. So I tried it on my stubborn, bull headed Keeshond and lo and behold,  he started sitting when told on walks and stopped pulling so much. So all well and good. I get Remy because Kiddo moved out and took his black cat and Gabe has always always had a black cat for his friend. I had just reconnected with my family in Louisiana so I thought, "I gave him a French name, lets try French + its an 'excuse' to call Tante Marieanne"

Now Remy only goes to bed if told in French and knows I really mean he's to stop it if the command is French. 

P.S.-we also had a black cat who like to be called M'seur Velvet and to be sung Frere Jacques.

20161113_212712.jpg

Message_1477969643661.jpg

Message_1481263035491.jpg

i do. On a daily basis. I actively speak to the cats - my bambini - in Italian. Idk how sick they are of their Mama cooing "baaaaciiiii..." in their ears while smooching them repeatedly.

Bebe, ma petite chou-chou, tres belle. Je T'aime les chats! Yes, I talk to my cats in French. 

Yea!! I'm not the only one!! I've been doing the Cajun French lessons on YouTube (recommended by a cousin) and Remy gives me the strangest look when I tell him to close the refrigerator door.

My middle school French teacher used Hebrew with her dogs. According to her she did it so no one else could give the dogs commands.

I speak German to all my animals. I love how my dog tilts her head when I speak sweetly to her in German. The cat just seems indifferent. 

I saw a video of a woman with two deaf dogs using sigh language with the dogs.  I think she used a different sign language with each dog.  I think the dog mom was also deaf.

DD has a deaf cat so she uses sign language for Artie. She also uses sign for Sam-who minds her better than he does me! Guess I'll be learning sign too.

Archived