IGNORED

Homesteading and Fundies why isn't this a thing?

HomeschooledHeartThrob

2 minutes ago, aurora_boo said:

I would quite happily sew on the floor for larger things. We don't wear shoes in my house. If I needed the space for a larger project, doing it on the floor would be perfectly appropriate.

(I've noticed that Americans wears shoes indoors much more than Europeans do)

Unless it's a hand crank or one of the new machines that can be operated hands free sitting a sewing machine on the floor to use is not safe. The control pedal is called a foot control for a reason its meant to be used with your foot. Also you are above the machine so you have horrible posture when sewing and a distorted view of the needle. Not having a good view of the needle puts you at risk of running over your finger. Shoes don't even play into this since many sew barefoot but its still not safe to have a machine on the floor. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What amazes me is how noone thinks at to how much money the Duggars have probebly received in tax returns over the years with all those kids...that IMO is the basis for a good chunk of their wealth in the early years!

20 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Unless it's a hand crank or one of the new machines that can be operated hands free sitting a sewing machine on the floor to use is not safe. The control pedal is called a foot control for a reason its meant to be used with your foot. Also you are above the machine so you have horrible posture when sewing and a distorted view of the needle. Not having a good view of the needle puts you at risk of running over your finger. Shoes don't even play into this since many sew barefoot but its still not safe to have a machine on the floor. 

I'm sure you're happy with your sewing position, as am I - but as I said, I wouldn't have a problem with being on the floor. I wouldn't be doing complicated stuff - but I'd be quite happy doing large projects on the floor instead of the sewing table in a small room - and have done.

I'm sorry you're not very flexible and your feet aren't nimble ;-)

1 hour ago, aurora_boo said:

I'm sure you're happy with your sewing position, as am I - but as I said, I wouldn't have a problem with being on the floor. I wouldn't be doing complicated stuff - but I'd be quite happy doing large projects on the floor instead of the sewing table in a small room - and have done.

I'm sorry you're not very flexible and your feet aren't nimble ;-)

It has nothing to do with flexibility but with safety. I prefer not to put a needle through my finger or do long term damage to my back to contort myself into a position to be able to sew on the floor.  

I'm sorry that you don't view safety as something important. ;) 

Jana and JD are the only 2 adult kids that have consistently shown sustained work effort and a wider variety of skills.

Maybe the Duggars should have stopped after they had 3 children.

Maybe Josh would have exhibited fewer problems too.

I can't even figure out how one could operate a sewing machine while sitting on the floor. 

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I can't even figure out how one could operate a sewing machine while sitting on the floor. 

Yeah, don't you need your foot on a pedal for it to run?

On December 15, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I think there was a picture of Jenni sitting on the floor learning to use a sewing machine.

Of course. Someone needs to learn to sew as well as Jana, especially if Jana gets married and leaves the compound someday. Those wedding outfit alterations won't sew themselves. 

We all know (very much tongue in cheek) that when Jenny said she wanted to be a vet and work with animals, what she really meant was she wants to learn to stitch them up, a desire which will be fulfilled by learning to sew proficiently.

3 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Yeah, don't you need your foot on a pedal for it to run?

Yep!  That's why I said maybe a hand crank machine or a hands free machine. I still can't see how it would be comfortable to sit on the floor to work instead in a chair and table. 

On 12/16/2016 at 5:33 PM, grandmadugger said:

I don't see how it's any different on the floor v table. I get the same view, regardless. 

You can sit and use your foot on the pedal, or you can use your hand on the pedal. 

18 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I don't see how it's any different on the floor v table. I get the same view, regardless. 

You can sit and use your foot on the pedal, or you can use your hand on the pedal. 

I must be much taller than you than because I don't have the same view at all and wouldn't be able to sit up straight. I would be hunched over and pay for it the next day.  No ones back and neck can handle being bunched up for hours. 

I use both hands to guide the fabric through. I'm guessing Jenni isn't tall enough to sit at a regular table and reach the foot pedal. With all those kids you would think there would be one child size table and chair.

On 17/12/2016 at 5:03 PM, formergothardite said:

I'm quite flexible and long limbed. I don't have a problem using the pedal whilst sitting on the floor. I also have quite nimble feet and often use them to pick things up etc.

I am monkey girl!

And my prehensile tail comes in very useful for picking up pins. ;)

I've often laid out patterns and fabric on the floor to cut things out but I can't see using a sewing machine on the floor as either practical or safe.

I'm a bit confused by the title of this thread.  There are an awful lot of Fundies who homestead, farm and some even live off the grid.  Don't people remember the 7x Sunday crowd.

It's just another reason that the Duggars and their TV money are not representative of Quiverfull or Fundies in general.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 6:04 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

With the Duggars, I think when they first got their tv special, they were barely scraping by. So I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use disposable dishes much when they lived in that tiny house with 14 kids. Anything they did healthy wasn't to help the environment but to get by one more month. Their first priority was to get by. Once they had more money from tlc, I believe they started using paper plates and cups more often. 

A lot of the stuff the cult pushed was also budget friendly for giant fundie families. Things like no cable or internet. Buy used and save the difference. Homemade modest matching prairie dresses. And even homeschooling can be a money saver depending on your situation (private Christian school is expensive!).

But once they had TV money, they got rid of some of the cult norms.

You are correct. Must state from experience sewing clothing is twice as expensive as buying it on clearance from the store. I look at the Duggar girls now and see a lot of Target and Walmart clearance (Jill's black and white maxi skirt I saw at Target) and thrifting really took off the last 10  years.  So I can see in the last 15 years where the cult shifted gears to a more modern approach. Plus those long skirts, ugly clothes, ect are a hard sell for converts! They've added leggings and "knees" to the dress code in an attempt to glean more bodies for the fold. 

On December 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

Lately I have fallen down the wormhole of Zero Waste and Minimalism and homesteading on the internet and I am hooked! Some of it, such as making your own laundry soap and buying second hand seems similar to the Duggar family pre-fame when they shopped at garage sales and squirreled away money.  With this mindset if they gardened with all those hands they could can, raise their own meat, and grow food too which would save money. Also seems oddly "Un Duggery" to waste money on disposables if they're so obsessed with money. Plus if they are so worried about their bodies being temples why wouldn't they obsess about nutrition vs gorging on tater tots? I knew a Mormon family who was 110%  essential oils and organic food in addition to modesty because of how they interpreted the Bible.  And wouldn't all the liter from the disposable plates/napkins in landfills make them feel guilty about polluting God's earth? Food scraps alone for all those people would compost into a lot of top soil. And vegetables are so much cheaper than meat/tater tots too, why don't they eat more of that? 

So confusing!

If I remember correctly, isnt their land extremely polluted due to being near some sort of sewer system, or a landfill, or something? I can't remember the exact reason but I'm pretty sure their land is not very suitable for gardening (yes I know they grew a small garden of peppers and such). However, all your other points are very true. It's ridiculous how they don't seem to care one bit about pollution or eating junk all the time. They probably think climate change is a lie invented by "the ebil liberals" like most people in that vein of Christianity do. 

They live across the street from a landfill but typically landfills have to take precautions to not contaminate the groundwater and to prevent litter from flying away.  Typically there is a liner under each part of the landfill and they have to do routine testing on the groundwater to show that they haven't contaminated it. 

Archived