IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen: Part 24- Duggars, Duvets and stuff

samurai_sarah

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldnt find the counting on thread... 

this is the first time I've seen this On in the UK while I've been flicking through channels 

I laughed though because as it went to an add break there was an add for a basically naked dating show called 'undressed' LOL 

theres quite a few advertisers (unlike US where it's mostly TLC shows) if anyone's interested I'll post a list of them 

IMG_9137.JPG

• samurai_sarah pinned this topic

First, please read our rules about questioning downvotes.  We get to do them without question.

Second, IMO we don't need to see ads for a naked dating show on FJ. 

12 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

First, please read our rules about questioning downvotes.  We get to do them without question.

Second, IMO we don't need to see ads for a naked dating show on FJ. 

Oh that's completely not what I meant. 

I meant list those advertising during counting on in the UK, the way people did when it was airing in the US 

very sorry for the misunderstanding 

I wonder if the family has  gotten away from a lot of their values. They say they don't like anything but classical and bluegrass music but then Jessa married a guy that enjoys rap. She must have known. Isn't music on the application to JB? I bet they listen to all kinds of music and just say that on camera.  I love the speculation bus. They'd probably get better viewership if they turned bad. Like all the kids turn goth and turn to Wicca. They begin listening to heavy metal and rap music.  Hah, they probably wouldn't know what the artists are even saying. 

*I'm not saying those are bad just that the Duggars believe they are.  

As for turning "bad"/rebelling, etc . . . I saw a popular post on Tumblr for Jinger, that said: "If Jinger ever rebels, I hope they call the episode 'Jinger Snaps'"

I'd tune in for that.

1 hour ago, Fun Undies said:

As for turning "bad"/rebelling, etc . . . I saw a popular post on Tumblr for Jinger, that said: "If Jinger ever rebels, I hope they call the episode 'Jinger Snaps'"

I'd tune in for that.

Sadly, the closest thing we'll get to this now will probably be an episode a few years down the road. Jinger will have 5 kids under 6, and more laundry than she can handle. Hopefully this boring ass show will be off the air before that happens.

I just watched the JB humping mechelle during mini golf. WTF!!! Like others I didn't remember it being that bad. When your doing talking heads about purity then practically having it off with your wife in front of your child and boyfriend, is hypocrisy at its finest- 'do as I say, not as I do' needing brain bleach!!

I think the humping was repeated in that clip, not that just once wasn't bad enough. Can't imagine doing that in front of my kids, then taunting them that they can't do that yet.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think the humping was repeated in that clip, not that just once wasn't bad enough. Can't imagine doing that in front of my kids, then taunting them that they can't do that yet.

All  while claiming you're the most modest people on the planet because you do not kiss or hug before marriage (except you do), wear skirts or show your knees and shoulders.

Or improperly handled sexual molestation in your own home.

Or spawned a son who doesn't seem to have any moral fiber at all.

Or are lazy MOFOs that contribute nothing tangible to society.

They just need to STFU and go away.

Anybody got a transcript of what Jill was saying about the rate of sibling molestation? 1/3 or 2/3 of families? 

Anyway, in both cases it is an alarming number, much higher than in the rest of the word! How come no one (as far as we know) did a follow up on Jill's and JB's claims? No media? 

It is an abusive culture going on over there.

3 hours ago, Queen said:

Anybody got a transcript of what Jill was saying about the rate of sibling molestation? 1/3 or 2/3 of families? 

Anyway, in both cases it is an alarming number, much higher than in the rest of the word! How come no one (as far as we know) did a follow up on Jill's and JB's claims? No media? 

It's not just the fundies, I'm afraid.  I spent most of my life in the south, and was molested more than once until I got big enough to fight them off.  Sadly, it is one of my earliest memories, and it took me a long time to come to terms with it .  The hardest times was having to sit across holiday tables from my abusers.

I haven't met as many people who have mentioned sexual abuse in the decade and a half I have lived in the north.  Maybe they don't talk about it as much up here, or perhaps rape/incest victims who actually admit to it happening aren't punished as much by the system that should be protecting them, hard to say, it is a different world...

When I think of this time in my life, so very long ago now, I always remember what Oprah's Sophia said in The Color Purple: "...A girl child ain't safe in a family of men, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!"

I still want the kids to go to the REAL movies. Not just see the Kirkster's shitty movies. 

4 hours ago, goldengrove said:

It's not just the fundies, I'm afraid.  I spent most of my life in the south, and was molested more than once until I got big enough to fight them off.  Sadly, it is one of my earliest memories, and it took me a long time to come to terms with it .  The hardest times was having to sit across holiday tables from my abusers.

I haven't met as many people who have mentioned sexual abuse in the decade and a half I have lived in the north.  Maybe they don't talk about it as much up here, or perhaps rape/incest victims who actually admit to it happening aren't punished as much by the system that should be protecting them, hard to say, it is a different world...

When I think of this time in my life, so very long ago now, I always remember what Oprah's Sophia said in The Color Purple: "...A girl child ain't safe in a family of men, but I ain't never thought I'd have to fight in my own house!"

I'm a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, and weird as it sounds, I take comfort in research (INTJ problems) - not to defend anything Duggarish, or take any from your point of regional differences, but I think that the culture of sexual abuse/molestation of girls and women is pretty global.

I live in Canada, and here it's been reported here that one in three girls and one in six boys experience an unwanted sexual act (http://littlewarriors.ca/about/regional/statistics-research/ for some unpleasant reading), yet I've only heard two other people openly discuss their experiences with me, and the one who was molested by a family member was quick to shrug it off as no big deal, and the other who was sexually assaulted by a group of older students during a recess acted like it was funny. Of the women (close friends for the most part) I've told about my experience, there has been a general reaction of either total shock that something like that could happen to someone they know, or a kind of tense uncomfortableness followed by a quick change of subject. I'd wager that some of the tension was because they lived through something similar or knew someone who had, but for some reason they won't acknowledge it. 

Unfortunately, 39% of Canadian women over the age of 18 report at least one incident of sexual assault in their lives. I'm in this club too, and when rape/sexual assault is discussed among the women in my acquaintance, the reaction is very different. The underlying mood seems to be more angry than incredulous or uncomfortable, and people are quick to admit to having experienced some sort of sexual assault or knowing someone who has. Since the police and prosecutors in Alberta are generally seen as being uninterested in sexual assault, a good number of women will even admit to taking/knowing someone who took some sort of vigilante justice against the perpetrator or his property, and this seems to be viewed as somehow acceptable "so long as you don't get caught" (so much wrong with this whole situation).

More depressing stats http://sacha.ca/resources/statistics

Maybe it isn't just a regional difference in child sexual abuse, so much as a regional difference in what is acknowledged or spoken about? I don't know, but either way it seems there's no shortage of victims of sexual abuse/assault.

I feel responsible for digging this up, since I was the one who opened this particular can of worms. 

1:43 Jill's "2/3 of families..." quote. And it's even worse, because her claim says that that's only the families "[who] are reporting it." That implication means she thinks this goes on in pretty much EVERY house. All molestation is so wrong (my husband is a victim, but not familial...even worse, but a kid from his CHURCH), but not even close to every home. 

eta: Note that Jill has the script on her lap and Jessa's intentional use of "licensed" counseling. She put emphasis on that word. Jessa's infamous "We're not a TV family..." quote. And Megyn called it....there WAS another Duggar story just waiting to blow that would affect the show......

Josie's birthday today. Even though she's the Miracle Baby (TM) she'll just get a generic "we love you! you love jesus! can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for your life!" post.

17 hours ago, Queen said:

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she weren't that far off statistically, but my issue with how she's framing it is to normalize the abuse that went on in her home. See? This happens all the time! If Josh killed someone, would they downplay it with "yeah, folks get murdered all the time, why, the murder rate in El Salvador is 116 per 100,000 people!"

Megyn Kelly has no journalistic integrity for not correcting Jill on her stat or asking for a source. I just can't see many journalists just letting that slide. It's not as if Jill's a child they're afraid to correct. 

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she weren't that far off statistically, but my issue with how she's framing it is to normalize the abuse that went on in her home. See? This happens all the time! If Josh killed someone, would they downplay it with "yeah, folks get murdered all the time, why, the murder rate in El Salvador is 116 per 100,000 people!"

I've read 1/10 children somewhere, but you and @Kittikatz are probably right. Agree, the normalization is horrifying. I acctually wouldn't put ut past them to say "many people kill others; see we are just like everybody else!" But I hope not... 

@goldengrove I'm so sorry it happened to you. I guess the frequency in different places has a lot to do with social norms. Do women and children have the right to their own bodies, for example. In fundieland they clearly don't... 

I do feel bad hating on Josie, its not her fault her mother pushed to have her and then she became the second coming. I bet she would be super embarassed if she was a teen and JB and Moochelle kept doting on her like she is the chosen one.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived