IGNORED

Not Rulz but foods we won't eat and Thanksgiving (thread drift originally)

HerNameIsBuffy

You two are nuts. The gravy is the best part, in my opinion.  You make a little (ok, big) well in your mashed potatoes and pour it in there. Heavenly. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You made me laugh so bad that my abs are hurting, the noise woke up my daughter and I'll never be able to finish a post on Feed Jinger. AND it's all your fault ladies, I hope you're feeling appropriately guilty!

I'm actually going to put my first post on Feed Jinger later today. Be gentle with me, I'm not a good cook. Lol

Gravy should always come from drippings. Unless you're putting it on biscuits, then white with lots of pepper is the way to go. Fuck cranberry jelly though. Real, fresh cranberries or nothing (I know that was a different thread, but if we're going to do this, let's do it).

I make my turkey with honey... makes the gravy absolutely delicious. 

Apart from my gravy, and gravy that goes on biscuits in the morning, I'm not a gravy person.

Last year, my dad didn't realize that to make gravy you gotta add the cornstarch when its boiling. He made gravy jello... ruined my amazing turkey drippings

Gravy should always come from drippings. Unless you're putting it on biscuits, then white with lots of pepper is the way to go. Fuck cranberry jelly though. Real, fresh cranberries or nothing (I know that was a different thread, but if we're going to do this, let's do it).

*sniffle* and I was going to post my weird cranberry salad recipe. *hides instead*

10 minutes ago, DaisyD said:

The inner gross things are used to make liquid to mix with drippings for gravy.  I'm hit or miss with gravy because the stirring is boring so I always have some jars on hand - not like I eat it!

I will throw down over cranberries though.  The jelly that plops out of the can is one of mankind's greatest creations.  The sauce with lumps of whole berries ...mine is from scratch and gets rave reviews and I only know it's good from what liquid I can get on a spoon without any actual berry contamination.  Takes for freaking ever but they love it so what's a saint like mom to do?  I make the horrible thing.

Re: gravy. MUST be made from drippings. Otherwise, what's the point?

Re: fruitcake. LOVE it, especially the only-at-Xmas kind. 

Re: turkey. LOVE it, especially dark meat.

So sue me.

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

The jelly that plops out of the can is one of mankind's greatest creations.

Oh, yes.  My cranberry has to have the can ridges in it or it is not Thanksgiving.  :Yes:

White gravy?! What the hell is white gravy? Gravy is brown and either made from the juice off the meat or by using Bisto.

Once in a while the cultural divide between UK/Ireland and North America seems too wide to bridge. This is such a time.

So, as a vsb (veg. since birth), I have been subjected to all sorts of stuff in the name of "being included." I want to chime in to this conversation with Tofurkey=clever name=:puke-front: 

White gravy?! What the hell is white gravy? Gravy is brown and either made from the juice off the meat or by using Bisto.
Once in a while the cultural divide between UK/Ireland and North America seems too wide to bridge. This is such a time.

The first time a friend from the UK came over and we went to an American diner with biscuits and gravy this exact conversation happened. LOL

21 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

White gravy is for biscuits and brown gravy is for meats. That being said I've never tasted a decent biscuit gravy north of kentucky. 

58 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Oh, yes.  My cranberry has to have the can ridges in it or it is not Thanksgiving.  :Yes:

Oh, thank goodness, I have found my people. That stuff is so. dang. delicious. I'll up my "trashy Thanksgiving food" ante by saying that I love marshmallows on my sweet potatoes, too. 

No white gravy for me. Dark gravy on biscuits and everything else. At least tan gravy, haha. I eat cranberry sauce all year round, love the stuff. Currently enjoying diet cranberry mist, the only time I drink pop is this time of year.

No white gravy for me. Dark gravy on biscuits and everything else. At least tan gravy, haha. I eat cranberry sauce all year round, love the stuff. Currently enjoying diet cranberry mist, the only time I drink pop is this time of year.

Just to be clear, the like is for the cranberry mist, not your clearly inhuman and monstrous views on gravy. :-p

I want a cranberry mist now.

1 hour ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I want to chime in to this conversation with Tofurkey=clever name=:puke-front: 

Amen! I usually just skip all the meat substitutes because they just never taste right. 

I'm making a vegan mushroom gravy for tomorrow along with cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie. 

Vegan mushroom gravy? I'm going to insist that you Feed Jinger this because I need to know more about this.

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Amen! I usually just skip all the meat substitutes because they just never taste right. 

I'm making a vegan mushroom gravy for tomorrow along with cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole and pumpkin pie. 

I instacarted mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce (whole berry-but I am equal opportunity) from Whole Foods-I would have gotten a piece of pie too if available :) . Seriously, sometimes it has been better when there was no actual 'something special.' Although in recent years I have experienced a Field Harvest? Log Roast thingy that was actually pretty decent.

3 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I'll add in whatever organs are in the package inside the turkey.  I don't know what they are, but they are gross.

In my family we call that stuff "the gubbins."  I remove them, save the neck for raw for the dogs, boil the rest, look at them and add them to the dogs' dinner.

3 hours ago, Fascinated said:

I'm sorry.  But that shit is how you make delicious gravy!  Also, my dad is that person who eats the neck and the parson's nose. We keep telling him that the war is over. 

I just add the liquid from above to the gravy.  Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, EmainMacha said:

Bisto smells like dirty socks and reminds me of my UK boarding school.  Gravy is made from drippings.

1 hour ago, DaisyD said:

How do you make your cranberry sauce? It's super easy the way I do it.

1 bag of cranberries.  1 cup of sugar.  1 orange.  Water.

Take the zest off the orange and simmer in water for a few minutes to take the bitterness out.  Drain.  Squeeze juice out of orange and add enough water to make 1 cup.  Bring orange juice, zest, water and sugar to a boil.  Add cranberries and simmer until they pop.  Make the day before. Done!

We are having gluten-free:  turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, wild rice dressing with apples and pork, "not your grandma's green bean casserole" (it's made from scratch with fresh beans, fresh mushrooms, shallots, and a soupcon of white wine - and without an iota of campbell soup), and a tray of yummy assorted roasted vegetables for the person who doesn't like turkey.  That would be me.

Dessert is a choice of home made apple pie or whatever gluten-free dessert my friend brings. :)

No, @Palimpsest, you are not wrong about the drippings but you are about the Bisto (but I get what you're saying there).  Cook the giblets all afternoon.  Remove giblets and give neck to Dad, who is coincidentally hovering nearby.  Add a soupçon of Bisto mixed with a few drops of water. Add to giblet water and add s&p and some bay leaves.  Keep that sucker simmering. When available, add turkey drippings and some of the water from the potatoes and carrots or whatever.  Bring to boil and cook for couple of minutes.

Does this sound awful to everyone?  Because it is delicious!!!

I love Thanksgiving SO MUCH. 

Turkey - I'll eat the dark meat. SO doesn't like it so it's all mine! We are trying a spatchcock grilled turkey this year (OK, he's doing it that way because I told him to). 

Cranberry Sauce: Either way is fine, but I do like my trashy can with the ridges. Just don't make it too fancy. 

Stuffing/Filling/Dressing: My extended family always has both the kind cooked in the bird and the stovetop (not necessarily the brand). Just don't serve me that weird Pennsylvania filling. 

Gravy: pepper gravy for biscuits in the morning.  Turkey gravy should be sort of tan-ish. I can take it or leave it . 

Potatoes: hand mashed WITH (some) lumps is my favorite. My mom will gag if there are any lumps so she purees them to s***. 

Sweet Potatoes/Yams: I do not care for marshmallows on my root vegetables. 

Pie: Should be apple. (but I understand that in wine country it is traditional to serve a concord grape pie. and some people think pumpkin is traditional, and others are all about the sweet potato pie.) Someone should take a survey. BTW I make an AMAZING (if I say so myself, which I will) caramel apple pie. 

Wine: should be abundant.

FUCK: I forgot the green beans. Please don't casserole them. 

No pumpkin pie at my house unless I want hubs to have a heart attack-I've only liked/requested pumpkin pie 3 times and their names are CJ,RL and ME. Pumpkin cheesecake or apple crisp. No pepper in the gravy , please.

Archived