IGNORED

Trump 7 - Cheeto in Charge

samurai_sarah

6 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The thing that irritates me most in the aftermath of this election is the lumping of all rural Americans into one stereotyped mass. I grew up in rural America in towns as small as 8 block square. The only calico skirts I've ever seen were for the day we all got to go to "Heritage School" in 4th grade which was a one day experience of what one room 19th Century schools were like--part of the experience was dressing the part. So that guy who wrote the "I lived in rural America" article must have been hanging out at the Heritage School site to date 4th graders. 

Here is the reality about people who want/need jobs with living wages and only have high school degrees: there are people out there who do not have the intellectual capacity to achieve post-secondary education. I see them as teens when I sub. And they exist in cities as much as they do in rural America. I've subbed alternative school and special ed quite a lot recently. On the surface many of these kids don't appear as if they could not go get an engineering degree (which frankly will end up like the legal field soon enough--when we push everyone to one high paying field, it ends up not so high paying and the job outlook ends up not so strong--actually read some pieces about the future issues that will plague that field as it becomes overcrowded for a grad school class) but they have a variety of learning disabilities that will limit their future earning potential. Telling everyone to go get a post-secondary degree or certification is oversimplifying the problem. 

The issues in rural America, frankly, are not about manufacturing jobs, anyway. In my very "red" (oh, how I despise that Americans have chosen to divide the populace then stereotype and judge us all based on how the news networks decided to color code the electoral map a few elections ago--how have we not realized how stupid that game is?) state, there has never been much manufacturing. The issues are about the demise of family owned farms and ranches in favor of large commercial farming enterprises. With that comes the loss of small business in the towns that surround those farms. My mother's  tiny hometown, 40 years ago, had a hardware store, medical clinic, two banks, two grocery stores, a hotel, two gift/variety shops, three cafes, a barber shop and three hair salons, two farm implement dealerships, an electronics store/repair shop plus much more. Now it has a bank, a satellite medical clinic open two days a week, a tiny grocery store and a locally owned candle shop. The population has dropped accordingly. This was a town that has never had a population over 900 people. It is also a town that never had a manufacturing facility within 100 miles. 

Here is a site and organization that is attempting to address these issues. Read and learn about what is really happening in these communities: 

http://www.cfra.org/

While there are certainly people not capable of more than a high school diploma, those people aren't as common as you think.  Anyone of average intelligence is capable of getting an associate's degree or some kind of certification that will help them get decent paying jobs.  Most who don't choose not to and then expect the government to force businesses to not automate their jobs or ship them abroad.  That's just not going to happen.  And if there are no jobs in your community, then you move to where the jobs are.  I would like nothing more than to see everyone employed in jobs they love and living in places they adore, but that's not life. 

Most people living in rural towns voted for Trump.  I live in a rural town and voted for Clinton, but my county went 83% for Trump.  Many, many rural counties in this country had similar results, so it's pretty safe to assume most people in rural America are conservative.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Childless said:

While there are certainly people not capable of more than a high school diploma, those people aren't as common as you think.  Anyone of average intelligence is capable of getting an associate's degree or some kind of certification that will help them get decent paying jobs.  Most who don't choose not to and then expect the government to force businesses to not automate their jobs or ship them abroad.  That's just not going to happen.  And if there are no jobs in your community, then you move to where the jobs are.  I would like nothing more than to see everyone employed in jobs they love and living in places they adore, but that's not life. 

Most people living in rural towns voted for Trump.  I live in a rural town and voted for Clinton, but my county went 83% for Trump.  Many, many rural counties in this country had similar results, so it's pretty safe to assume most people in rural America are conservative.

Conservative, probably. Stupid? No. Uneducated? No. Racist? No. Expecting the government to protect nonexistent manufacturing jobs? Not so much. 

Wearing calico skirts and going to fundamentalist churches? Not so much. 

There is not a fundamentalist church within 35 miles of my mother's hometown, discussed above. The two churches in town are Presbyterian Church USA and Disciples of Christ. Both mainline Protestant liberal denominations. 

If you want to stereotype your neighbors, be my guest. I refuse to. 

8 hours ago, louisa05 said:

The thing that irritates me most in the aftermath of this election is the lumping of all rural Americans into one stereotyped mass.

(Snipped for space but I really liked your post, FTR.)

Yes, that article makes the author seem out of touch. Or else she talked to some elderly residents at one Bingo hall and wrote an article extrapolated from it. 

I have a lot of issues with that article excerpt, especially this:

I’ve had hundreds of discussions with rural white Americans and whenever I present them any information that contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how unquestionable, how obvious, they WILL NOT even entertain the possibility it might be true. Their refusal is a result of the nature of their fundamentalist belief system and the fact I’m the enemy because I’m an educated liberal.

1. I know plenty, plenty of rural white Americans who are not fundamentalists. All of my red state, Trump lovin' cousins are middle of the road Catholics. The rest of the Trump supporters I know are mainstream Protestant or nothing at all. Only two are what you would consider fundamentalist, Evangelical Christians. 

2. I know plenty of rural white Americans who are not Trump supporters.

3. I know plenty of rural white American conservatives who are very educated. There is an area near me that is in the rural part of the county that is known for being incredibly wealthy and filled with historic, family-owned farms . The majority of people have college degrees and a good percentage have graduate degrees.The area goes Republican in every election. Trust me, not all rural white Americans, or even all rural white Americans who support Trump, are plaid shirt wearing, belt buckle donning, 18 wheeler driving, Good Ol' Boys. 

Like all other large areas and large demographic groups, rural America is exceptionally diverse, and Nebraska is not Virginia, and Mississippi is not Alaska. Reducing such a diverse group to one limited psychoanalysis will not help us avoid a repeat of the Trump debacle. (Alas, I do not know how to ensure avoiding another debacle like this.)

While I do understand that portions of our country are considered conservative, I don't label the Orange One as conservative; he's just a self-serving racist, sexist, xenophobic con artist who has no problem accepting money and benefits from the government all the while decrying programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security as "hand-outs" that must be privatized or stopped. Certainly his private life with 3 marriages, 5 children from 3 women, numerous adulterous affairs  can hardly be viewed as conservative. And try as he might, he is definitely not a religious conservative, unable to name a single Bible verse as a favorite, admitting at one point that he attended church "at least twice a year," and referring to Second Corinthians as "Two Corinthians."  I am still in shock almost a month later that he was elected.

I believe he has dementia. There, I've said it. I am not a medical degreed professional, but I, unfortunately, have personal experience with this. My dear mom, who passed 3 years ago, was diagnosed with dementia about 4 years prior to her death.  The jerky speech patterns, the inability to focus, to stay on topic or answer a question, the random stream of consciousness babbling, yeah, I've heard this before. This is dementia, and, as many of you know, it only gets worse. I think this also explains the middle-of-the-night tweeting, as when it gets late in the day, their behavior is more erratic, I.e., "sundowning."  I could be out on a limb here, but I read the NYTimes transcript of their interview with him, and he was literally babbling. It was horrifying to realize this bumbling fool would soon be the leader of the free world.  I suspect those closest to him already know or suspect, (as Reagan's cronies knew about his Alzheimer's years before it was disclosed to the country), but they will be no help either. Frightening times we live in!

2 hours ago, AuntK said:

While I do understand that portions of our country are considered conservative, I don't label the Orange One as conservative; he's just a self-serving racist, sexist, xenophobic con artist who has no problem accepting money and benefits from the government all the while decrying programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security as "hand-outs" that must be privatized or stopped. Certainly his private life with 3 marriages, 5 children from 3 women, numerous adulterous affairs  can hardly be viewed as conservative. And try as he might, he is definitely not a religious conservative, unable to name a single Bible verse as a favorite, admitting at one point that he attended church "at least twice a year," and referring to Second Corinthians as "Two Corinthians."  I am still in shock almost a month later that he was elected.

I believe he has dementia. There, I've said it. I am not a medical degreed professional, but I, unfortunately, have personal experience with this. My dear mom, who passed 3 years ago, was diagnosed with dementia about 4 years prior to her death.  The jerky speech patterns, the inability to focus, to stay on topic or answer a question, the random stream of consciousness babbling, yeah, I've heard this before. This is dementia, and, as many of you know, it only gets worse. I think this also explains the middle-of-the-night tweeting, as when it gets late in the day, their behavior is more erratic, I.e., "sundowning."  I could be out on a limb here, but I read the NYTimes transcript of their interview with him, and he was literally babbling. It was horrifying to realize this bumbling fool would soon be the leader of the free world.  I suspect those closest to him already know or suspect, (as Reagan's cronies knew about his Alzheimer's years before it was disclosed to the country), but they will be no help either. Frightening times we live in!

Some years back when GWB was in office, I read a letter in The Atlantic that noted this same thing about the then-president, namely that when Bush II was a Texas politician, his speech patterns were much more coherent and sophisticated than what he used as president. The letter writer suggested that the only logical reason for such a dramatic change was some sort of degenerative neurological disorder. However, after leaving office, GWB has clearly lead a normal life, and has taken up painting, which is not the sign of someone with an impaired brain. What happened to Bush II and now Trump is that they're affecting "folksy" mannerism to appeal to the "common man." Nothing is wrong with either of them, at least from a physiological perspective. However, it is a troubling sign that a large portion of the electorate seems not to value the ability to communicate well.

11 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Some years back when GWB was in office, I read a letter in The Atlantic that noted this same thing about the then-president, namely that when Bush II was a Texas politician, his speech patterns were much more coherent and sophisticated than what he used as president. The letter writer suggested that the only logical reason for such a dramatic change was some sort of degenerative neurological disorder. However, after leaving office, GWB has clearly lead a normal life, and has taken up painting, which is not the sign of someone with an impaired brain. What happened to Bush II and now Trump is that they're affecting "folksy" mannerism to appeal to the "common man." Nothing is wrong with either of them, at least from a physiological perspective. However, it is a troubling sign that a large portion of the electorate seems not to value the ability to communicate well.

W never babbled incoherently. He did not always have a logical answer for things--particularly when he was running in 2000, but I think he had a steep learning curve for foreign affairs/policy in particular and during the campaign resorted to just talking when asked questions he could not answer. All politicians do the switching tactic in campaigns and debates as well--swerve off to a talking point rather than directly answer a question. 

Trump, on the other hand, literally babbles incoherently. He changes topics not as a tactic but randomly and quickly. If you haven't seen the NYT interview that AuntK is referencing, go read it. His speech patterns are not "folksy" in any sense, but rather repetitive in vocabulary and totally random in content. Asked about climate change, he trails off to talking about his golf course in Scotland. In a WaPo interview in May, his attention seems to wander off and he babbles about how many people came to his rallies when asked about racial issues with law enforcement. He also as AuntK points out, uses the same words over and over again. Additionally, he doesn't seem able to find specific words frequently so he talks in vague terms about "things" and "stuff" and very generalized language like that. 

Whether it is dementia or something of that nature, I do not know. But I do not think it can be surmised to be an attempt at being "folksy". I also do not think it is fair to compare it to W who, while not a stellar communicator/public speaker, was able to speak specifically and coherently and stay on topic or skillfully make the change in direction as necessary. I was no fan, but the man did not demonstrate the complete lack of adult vocabulary or impulse control that we are seeing in Trump. 

Tony Schwartz was clear that these traits were evident when he ghost wrote "The Art of the Deal" for Trump in 1987, almost 30 years ago, so this is nothing new. The long version of Schwartz' experience with Trump is covered in a New Yorker magazine article titled Donald Trumps Ghostwriter Tells All, written this past summer. 

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

Various quotes from the article: 

But the prospect of President Trump terrified him [Schwartz]. It wasn’t because of Trump’s ideology—Schwartz doubted that he had one. The problem was Trump’s personality, which he considered pathologically impulsive and self-centered.

“I put lipstick on a pig,” he said. “I feel a deep sense of remorse that I contributed to presenting Trump in a way that brought him wider attention and made him more appealing than he is.” He went on, “I genuinely believe that if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization.”  If he were writing “The Art of the Deal” today, Schwartz said, it would be a very different book with a very different title. Asked what he would call it, he answered, “The Sociopath.”

And that is that it’s impossible to keep him focused on any topic, other than his own self-aggrandizement, for more than a few minutes, and even then . . . ” Schwartz trailed off, shaking his head in amazement. He regards Trump’s inability to concentrate as alarming in a Presidential candidate. “If he had to be briefed on a crisis in the Situation Room, it’s impossible to imagine him paying attention over a long period of time,” he said.

But Schwartz believes that Trump’s short attention span has left him with “a stunning level of superficial knowledge and plain ignorance.” He said, “That’s why he so prefers TV as his first news source—information comes in easily digestible sound bites.” He added, “I seriously doubt that Trump has ever read a book straight through in his adult life.” 

This year, Schwartz has heard some argue that there must be a more thoughtful and nuanced version of Donald Trump that he is keeping in reserve for after the campaign. “There isn’t,” Schwartz insists. “There is no private Trump.” This is not a matter of hindsight. While working on “The Art of the Deal,” Schwartz kept a journal in which he expressed his amazement at Trump’s personality, writing that Trump seemed driven entirely by a need for public attention. “All he is is ‘stomp, stomp, stomp’—recognition from outside, bigger, more, a whole series of things that go nowhere in particular,” he observed, on October 21, 1986. 

20 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

ICYMI, Trump is mad at SNL again. See link for the SNL clip and his tweet.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/12/04/snl_is_basically_just_reciting_facts_about_donald_trump_now.html

This woman had a (rather long) response to Trump's tweet, I think her first tweet says it best tweet.jpg

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/12/04/trump-took-twitter-whine-snl-womans-epic-response-going-viral/

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

This woman had a (rather long) response to Trump's tweet, I think her first tweet says it best tweet.jpg

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/12/04/trump-took-twitter-whine-snl-womans-epic-response-going-viral/

Yeah I was just coming here myself to spread the word about the above tweet.  I replied to her that Orange Fornicate Face is a 70 year old man baby who doesn't have the intellectual capacity to pick his battles.

18 hours ago, AuntK said:

And to think, a bunch of Skeeters don't have a problem with the Orange Toxic Megacolon being within sniffiling distance of the nuclear football if he's disabled like this.

Trump's rambling on and on is actually nothing new. He has done it for decades.

With that being said, for me personally it would be unfair to comment on the idea that Trump has any type of chronic illness. I spent days on end admonishing another poster on here about her speculation on Hillary's health. I would be a hypocrite if I got on here and started saying Trump had a diagnosis I have no idea he has without concrete proof. There are plenty of other things I can comment on in regards to Trump. I do know he is a gigantic asshole and has been for decades. 

On 12/2/2016 at 2:30 PM, 47of74 said:

You wanna punch that anus head Hannity in the throat? Get in line.  Behind me. 

I'm standing in that long, long line too. Every time I see his smug face, I want to punch the TV. I can't bear to watch his show.

On 12/2/2016 at 5:29 PM, VelociRapture said:

I truly feel for those who have lost their jobs due to advancements in technology or due to off-shoring because of costs. I honestly do. I worked for a manufacturing company for 4.5 years in Sales doing data entry - it was scary when layoffs started happening because no one knew who was safe or who was expendable. So I get how scary it can be.

That said, like others have said a lot of the jobs simply aren't going to come back. I would love to see a greater emphasis placed on educational programs for manufacturing or non-clean energy employees - for instance, in states where solar power is really effective maybe offer training opportunities related to installation and maintenance? There can be some sort of credit or grant given to help people pay for the program. And maybe the Government can offer incentives to those companies that hire workers who go through those educational programs? 

Its not a perfect idea and won't solve all the problems, but I think it's a better one than what Trump just offered to Carrier.

I work for a large multinational company that provides technology and services. Unfortunately, our company has offshored so many jobs. The powers-that-be point out that they can hire someone with a Master's Degree in Engineering and five years of experience for $14K in Hyderabad; someone with similar qualifications in my area would earn at least $100K. Sadly, it's a false savings. In addition to the high turnover in Asia and Central America, there are often hidden costs. Sadly, we play layoff roulette frequently. A few years ago, we had 15 rounds of layoffs here in the US, with the bulk of those jobs going to India and the Philippines.

I would love to see a concerted effort by Federal, State, and Local governments to help people go into the trades through low-cost training. I was reading an article (sorry, I can't remember where) that pointed out we are going to hit a crisis point because Americans, especially in the suburbs and cities, have been discouraged from the trades (plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc), so when this group of tradespeople retire, there aren't enough in the pipeline to take their place. In my area, a master plumber or electrician can make a fortune. It takes going to trade school, plus time as an apprentice, but you can get there.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:52 PM, RoseWilder said:

If Trump and his ilk weren't going to totally fuck up our country beyond all recognition it might be amusing to watch these morons battling it out to see who is going to be the top moron. 

Just seeing the cast of characters is like watching Dumb and Dumber...

21 hours ago, AuntK said:

Cheeto is in no way conservative. He was just savvy enough to spout the buzzwords that put the most conservative Christians into a state of rapture. They didn't listen past his promise to stop doctors from "ripping babies out of the uterus days before their due date" to understand that he doesn't mean anything he says unless he's talking about promoting himself.

Many heads of state and their aides are rubbing their hands with glee, scheming about how they can exploit Trump's vulnerabilities.  Hint: it involves shameless flattery.  Oh, and did I mention leveraging his astronomical debt to their advantage?  

Really, Trump has no idea what's coming.  

50 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Cheeto is in no way conservative. He was just savvy enough to spout the buzzwords that put the most conservative Christians into a state of rapture. They didn't listen past his promise to stop doctors from "ripping babies out of the uterus days before their due date" to understand that he doesn't mean anything he says unless he's talking about promoting himself.

For those of you on Twitter who are wanting to see a conservative Christian stand up to Trump, check out Evan McMullin. I obviously don't agree with some of his political positions, but he understands that Trump is dangerous and that people of different political beliefs are going to need to band together against Trump.

Tweet storm of his from earlier today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Evan_McMullin/status/805473959324090368

32 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

For those of you on Twitter who are wanting to see a conservative Christian stand up to Trump, check out Evan McMullin. I obviously don't agree with some of his political positions, but he understands that Trump is dangerous and that people of different political beliefs are going to need to band together against Trump.

Good for McMullin for standing up to Trump and his nastiness. I don't agree with all of his positions either, but I have a lot of respect for the man. 

@RoseWilder I can't believe he's going off on China now. It's going to be like this every day, isn't it? I'm tired already...

Honestly, I have enough faith in the construction of our government to not be too terrified as to what Trump will personally do domestically. But the things that keep me up at night are

1. Appointing Supreme Court Justices

2. How his presidency will normalize bigotry

3. The complete sinking of all of our international relations. Not only will we be a joke, I think he is going to do lasting damage that we may never be able to change, if not completely isolate us.

The speculation over Trump having dementia is eerily close to what happened with my emotionally abusive ex-boss.  He appeared to be extremely forgetful--claiming he told me things that he never actually did, springing incredibly inconvenient things on people and being surprised that no one else knew about it.  

When February came and I asked for my W-2 form, he told me that he didn't have to get it to me until mid-February.  I told him the IRS website said it was supposed to get to me by January 31, and he seemed genuinely shocked.  When I called the organization's tax guy, he said, "I'm sorry.  I hound [ex-boss] to get them out by January 31 but this happens every year.]

We led a group tour to London.  I told him multiple times--including multiple times AT THE AIRPORT ON ARRIVAL--that he needed to pay for one more hotel room when we got there.  He was the one with the organization's credit card.  I found out two weeks after the end of the trip that he never paid for it.

If anyone else displayed memory problems like this, they would be seeking medical attention or at least be deeply embarrassed about it.  My parents even wondered if he was in the early stages of Alzheimers.  I gradually realized that he didn't have memory problems--he just didn't fucking care.  He acted this way to gaslight other people, to keep people on their toes.  He did this to absolve himself of responsibility and place the blame on other people if things went wrong.  He even THREATENED me with it.  "You've SEEN happens when I have to remember things!"

I haven't been triggered by Trump as badly as friends who are sexual assault or domestic abuse survivors, but things like this make me really afraid.

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Good for McMullin for standing up to Trump and his nastiness. I don't agree with all of his positions either, but I have a lot of respect for the man. 

@RoseWilder I can't believe he's going off on China now. It's going to be like this every day, isn't it? I'm tired already...

Honestly, I have enough faith in the construction of our government to not be too terrified as to what Trump will personally do domestically. But the things that keep me up at night are

1. Appointing Supreme Court Justices

2. How his presidency will normalize bigotry

3. The complete sinking of all of our international relations. Not only will we be a joke, I think he is going to do lasting damage that we may never be able to change, if not completely isolate us.

What really worries me is that the 70 Year Old Man Baby Fornicate Face Orange Toxic Megacolon is going to be within sniffing distance of the goddamn nuclear codes.  What keeps me up at night is that he will start some World War III like shitstorm.

Just like everyone else who is posting here, I am already exhausted by the crap coming out of the Orange Toxic Megacolon. I don't know which part scares me the most.

I have been in sore need of some amusements. A friend sent me a link to a product that is sold out, speculating that Agent Orange is the reason it is out of stock. Colour de Cheeto bronzer.  Seriously, that's a thing. I can't decide whether to laugh or be sickened that there is actually such a product.

This whole China/Taiwan fiasco is getting me very nervous because me and my friends are visiting another friend who is currently living outside of Taipei and I'm like orange ugly s*** if you messed this up

3 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

This whole China/Taiwan fiasco is getting me very nervous because me and my friends are visiting another friend who is currently living outside of Taipei and I'm like orange ugly s*** if you messed this up

The fact that he likely did it so he can build a hotel in Taiwan really ticks me off.

Just like everyone else who is posting here, I am already exhausted by the crap coming out of the Orange Toxic Megacolon. I don't know which part scares me the most.
I have been in sore need of some amusements. A friend sent me a link to a product that is sold out, speculating that Agent Orange is the reason it is out of stock. Colour de Cheeto bronzer.  Seriously, that's a thing. I can't decide whether to laugh or be sickened that there is actually such a product.

Well it looks like they still have cheeto colored toilet paper on sale.

Oh, golly gee willikers, Agent Orange lied about the number of jobs he saved at the Carrier plant in Indiana. Color me surprised. An excerpt:

President-elect Donald Trump said Carrier is "keeping 1,100 people" in jobs that won't be shifted to Mexico from a factory in Indianapolis.

The real number is 800.

To get the higher number, Carrier and Trump are counting 300 jobs that weren't at risk of being shipped to Mexico.

Carrier confirmed to CNNMoney on Friday that it never planned to move 300 administrative and engineering positions. Those jobs are at a different Indianapolis location, separate from the plant with the 1,400 factory worker jobs that has been in the headlines recently.

Under the deal with Trump, Carrier agreed to keep the furnace part of the plant open, saving 800 jobs in Indianapolis. But it's still moving 600 jobs to Mexico to make fan coils.

Yet so many of the people who voted for him did so because Hillary was a "liar". Sigh.

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

What really worries me is that the 70 Year Old Man Baby Fornicate Face Orange Toxic Megacolon is going to be within sniffing distance of the goddamn nuclear codes.  What keeps me up at night is that he will start some World War III like shitstorm.

YES. This absolutely terrifies me. Can the Secret Service take away his access to the nuclear codes, whatever that means, like they are going to take over his Twitter account ? (as I read somewhere today.)

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but reading the responses of Trump's fans to the China/Taiwan situation is scaring the crap outta me. He's running a damn cult where the members either close their eyes and say "fake news" to anything or anyone who tries to report something negative about Trump, or they tell us that we're just too stupid to understand his brillance. 

I swear that Trump could kill someone, eat the corpse on live television, and they'd all cheer and ask when Trump's Cannibal Sauce will be available in stores. :pb_eek:

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived