IGNORED

Michael and Brandon Keilen- Part 2

samurai_sarah

19 hours ago, kinphilly said:

We live outside Philly.    My similar age son has multiple coats, multiple hats, dozens of gloves ... but it is PULLING TEETH to get him to wear them ... so maybe these are just warm blooded always on the move boys :)

If they were warm blooded, why to wear a clearly femenine scarf? I have a pre-teen son and he would prefer to freeze before wearing a girly scarf. Plus Bates are obsessed with gender differences, so I don't see Michaela dressing her brother with her scarf if he's not really cold.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Pretzel said:

It sounds nice that they're enjoying some peace and quiet together, but I'm pretty sure that after one and a half year of being alone together enjoying peace and quiet and reading books to each other, they wouldn't mind having a child of their own and I can't blame them for that. It's a natural desire, and it's sad that they can't have the children they obviously want to have. If she got pregnant now it still would be over two years of being just the two of them. Not a lot for a normal couple but a great deal in No/BC fundieland. It must be very frustrating to see her siblings get pregnant on the spot (Whitney and Alyssa at least). Erin did struggle initially but she got pregnant fairly easily, and once they detected the clotting disorder it was a lot easier for her to stay pregnant. There's a lot that can be done to sustain a pregnancy but the hurdles it takes if you can't get pregnant in the first place are very high. 

Also, having been through the infertility struggle. It is really stressful on a relationship when you are dealing with this, so I'm sure that hasn't helped them enjoy their time.

I'm behind, and I know they've said that they're having fertility issues, but I seem to recall a bit of speculation about a pregnancy. Posing behind Brandon AND from the chest up? Hmm.

Huh. I never really saw a huge resemblance between Michaela and her siblings, but I do in this pic. She looks a lot like Carlin there. 

I'm glad to see them looking happy, infertility issues can be such a strain on relationships and especially in their world, where life=babies. 

She looks stunning in that photo.

I think Michael had to "age" into her looks. I loath to deem women valuable based on their looks, I just felt for Michael because she seemed to be a little awkward and insecure for so long, and maybe having an appearance that isn't "fair" and "feminine" and definitely unique, and when compared to her sisters, maybe she didn't feel like she measured up to "deserving" love. I think women in these ultra conservative sects see beauty as a reason to be loved.

But I think she's stunning. 

I saw on Instagram that they created a new website, and it looks like it's to sell stuff that she's making. So I went to check it out and it says 'resource limit is reached'. Not such a great start. 

Site's working now. She currently only has one item (in different designs), a reversible blanket set. Here's the direct link: http://brandonandmichaela.com/product/reversible-blanket-sets/

$25 actually seems pretty cheap for handmade stuff. Here's the description:

These soft, plush, reversible (polyester/cotton) blanket sets are ideal for newborns, toddlers and baby gifts! The small design of the blanket (approx 25 in. x 19 in.) is convenient for car seat rides, naps, or a play mat. The size makes it easy for your little one to take anywhere! The bib and burp cloth (approx. 20 in. x 8 in.) are also reversible. The mini taggie teething toy (aprox 6 in. x 6 in. w/out ribbon) is perfect for teething and quiet entertainment for your little one during car rides. Because the ribbons and accents differ slightly per item to make each set unique, the set you receive may have a small variation from the photo.

All I could think when reading the bolded was 'perfect for blanket training.' Ugh. May no one ever use it for that purpose.

The sets are very cute and if I had a baby, lived in the US and wanted something hand-made I'd probably order from her site*. $25 is definitely cheap for hand-made sets, I know a woman from my neck of the woods, who opened her own little shop selling hand-made baby clothes and blankets and they cost a lot more. Mind you, her fabrics are high quality and I don't know about Michael's but the fabric of most store-bought baby items is only of average quality anyways so $25 for Michael's sets is still cheap. Then again, people are probably more likely to order from her if the stuff is affordable rather than overpriced, so that may have played into Michael's pricing of her sets as well. She should definitely start an etsy-shop if she hasn't already, to get the business going. It's a nice way to make money from home and I don't doubt Michael puts actual manual work into this. She's always seemed like a work horse and sewing is probably how she spends the days without Brandon.

ETA: *Yes, I would have second thoughts b/c they are ATI/IBLP. I do like to support small businesses of women that sell hand-crafted items at affordable prices, though, and when I buy on Etsy I don't know about the seller's personal believes either, so in this case I probably would buy from her if I thought the product was worth it and given that the circumstances were different (see above).

I was thinking the same thing, the sets are cute and very reasonably priced. Not knowing about their circumstances I'd be tempted to order too. 

Sierra of the $40 cupcakes in a jar could really learn from Michael on this!!

Oh, no way in hell would I ever order something from Sierra. She's just too obnoxious and I wouldn't trust her with hygiene at all. That'd be a no-brainer. I like Erin's piano playing as well, haven't bought her CDs either. Michael, however, has never annoyed me in anything that I've seen and she seems diligent, like someone who puts a lot of thought and hard work into what she does. A blanket, bib and burp cloth are easy patterns, if it's properly sewn and the fabrics are of decent quality then it's reasonably priced and she deserves what she's earned.

I have to think Brandon and Michael will have a decent amount of savings if she ever she does become pregnant. I have to wonder what keeps Brandon busy all day at work since I can't imagine a lot of new materials are produced. They never show him at work and I would be curious to see his cubicle or office. Considering UP is a Christian network, I find it interesting they aren't motivated to show where he works. With TLC I could see not showing the headquarters of IBLP, but with UP there isn't the need to appeal to a more general audience.

2 hours ago, infooverload said:

I have to wonder what keeps Brandon busy all day at work since I can't imagine a lot of new materials are produced

I wonder what he is doing too since most of IBLP has been moved to Texas. He seems to be one of the few folks they haven't moved. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder what he is doing too since most of IBLP has been moved to Texas. He seems to be one of the few folks they haven't moved. 

I continue to be baffled that they haven't moved to Big Sandy--esp. since Brandon does media stuff that could be done anywhere. I thought we read that the IBLP campus in Oak Brook is on the market, and the signage has been taken down. Other that doing custodial stuff for the properties that the Gothard empire still owns, I don't understand why any employees are still in Illinois.

Question about UP- I guess I didn't realize it was a Christian network. They show Gilmore Girls, right? Do they edit out "inappropriate" things on that show? Or do they at least show everything? That show certainly isn't raunchy, but touches upon sex outside of marriage, alcohol, and I believe drugs.

@candygirl200413 SHUT UP!!! Don't Tia and Tamara say shut up like every 5 seconds in that show!?!? haha but crazy!

I recently saw something, maybe from FJ, that was about some company who used to edit, and I think sell, movies to be more fundie appropriate. Disney, Sony, and some others sued that company for altering their films, and again I'm guessing selling them, and they won. Now all these fundies are mad at the injustice for trying to make PG rated films even more "childproof", as well as changing action films for their sons. I think it mentioned something like Transformers maybe and taking out all the "sex" and language in that movie. If you don't want your kid watching that type of stuff, don't show them the movie maybe?

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I recently saw something, maybe from FJ, that was about some company who used to edit, and I think sell, movies to be more fundie appropriate. Disney, Sony, and some others sued that company for altering their films, and again I'm guessing selling them, and they won. Now all these fundies are mad at the injustice for trying to make PG rated films even more "childproof", as well as changing action films for their sons. I think it mentioned something like Transformers maybe and taking out all the "sex" and language in that movie. If you don't want your kid watching that type of stuff, don't show them the movie maybe?

VidAngel I think is the company you're talking about. I agree with you, especially in this day and age where you can easily find an objective and fair parental guide for almost any mainstream movie. Like, whatever happened to actually explaining to the kid why they think the movie isn't good instead of trying to mess with the pre-existing movie?

Or, maybe, here's a thought: the kids won't be kids forever, and censoring every little nit doesn't prepare them for the world outside?

@choralcrusader8613 yes that was it! Thank you! I don't have children, but I feel like some of these parents need to  actually parent and stop being lazy/depending on other people to do their job for them.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:41 PM, Tangy Bee said:

I know friends and relatives who did not get pregnant for more than 2 years. They didn't panick or seek medical advice. Ages rage 20-30 years old. Just waited around until it just happened. But we live in a different reality and don't have strangers from all over the world asking about a pregnancy ALL the time. I realize there are women who have fertility issues and regret that this is so. I hope Michael's "issue" is something that can be helped. 

Back in my 20s and while having a discussion with my then OB Gyn about getting pregnant, his view was that after two years of trying and nothing then he would consider that there might be an issue.  That the monthly window for getting pregnant is short so it really can take two years.   

exactly @front hugs > duggs!!  Me and my sister watched it on UP one time and I was like why isn't there audio when she said some word? Watched it on another channel, the same episode a while later and realized it was shut up!

On 2/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, HereticHick said:

I continue to be baffled that they haven't moved to Big Sandy--esp. since Brandon does media stuff that could be done anywhere. I thought we read that the IBLP campus in Oak Brook is on the market, and the signage has been taken down. Other that doing custodial stuff for the properties that the Gothard empire still owns, I don't understand why any employees are still in Illinois.

Could it be possible that he's moved jobs?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived