IGNORED

Breibart Boycott

RoseWilder

A twitter page called Sleeping Giant was started after the election. The purpose of the twitter page (they have a facebook page now too) is to inform companies that their ads are appearing on Breitbart (a far-right website run by Steve Bannon that tries to pass itself off as a news site but is really a hate site) and ask them to stop advertising: 

https://twitter.com/slpng_giants/

So far they have successfully persuaded over 30 companies to stop advertising, including Kelloggs, which issued this statement on the matter: 

http://www.thewrap.com/kelloggs-pulls-advertising-breitbart-citing-company-values/

“We regularly work with our media-buying partners to ensure our ads do not appear on sites that aren’t aligned with our values as a company,” Kellogg’s spokesperson Kris Charles said. “We recently reviewed the list of sites where our ads can be placed and decided to discontinue advertising on Breitbart.com. We are working to remove our ads from that site.”

Last night Breibart responded: 

http://www.wnem.com/story/33818332/kellogg-pulls-ads-from-breitbart-over-company-values

The site called Kellogg's decision "economic censorship" and "un-American," saying Kellogg was denigrating "to its own detriment" the consumers who elected Trump.

The far-right's penchant for referring to everyone who stands up to them as "censorship" is sickening. Not to mention melodramatic, especially in light of their desire to trample all over the First Amendment. 

And today, they've taken it a step further. They've now declared war on the advertisers who are pulling their ads from the site: 

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/breitbart-and-its-new-conservative-allies-declares-war-after-kellogg-pulls-ads-from-website/

Breitbart and some of its right-wing audience are now declaring a war on advertisers who are dropping the site. The site’s CEO Larry Solov said, “We’ll handle this the way we always do — war.”

Solov added, “What you’re seeing is Kellogg’s and others buying into a false, left-wing narrative that our 45 million readers are deplorables … Our readers are mainstream America and, frankly, that’s who these advertisers risk alienating. They’re creating economic censorship of conservative discourse. They say we don’t represent their values — but we represent American values.”

At least one blogger seemed to agree with Solov’s assessment. John Hinderaker wrote for PowerLineBlog.com that Frosted Flakes should be boycotted — much like Hamiltonand Starbucks.

Hinderaker wrote, “I am not generally a fan of boycotts, but this, like so much else in our civic life, has been a one-way street. Executives at companies like Kellogg need to understand that ours is not a one-party state.”

He added, “A final observation: most cereal like Frosted Flakes and Fruit Loops is consumed by children. Who has more children, liberals or conservatives? Right. Kellogg might want to start looking for a new CEO.”

Let me see if I have this straight. If advertisers boycott Breitbart it's "un-American" and "economic censorship," but if they boycott those companies back then it's totally okay and acceptable. Wow, Breibart is really flying their hypocrite flag proudly. 

Good luck with your boycott far-right Republicans. I hope it's as successful as your Target, Starbucks and Hamilton boycotts :pb_lol: - I hope you enjoy explaining to your kids that they can't have their Frosted Flakes anymore because "standing up for hate is important." 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I suddenly have the strongest craving for Froot Loops!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like a counter movement should be started - people should purposely buy products and support companies that pull their advertising from Breitbart. Just because I'm an asshole and I'd find that hysterical. :pb_lol:

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I feel like a counter movement should be started - people should purposely buy products and support companies that pull their advertising from Breitbart. Just because I'm an asshole and I'd find that hysterical. :pb_lol:

A really immature part of me wants to go to SuperTarget and buy a bunch of Kellogs products and take pictures of myself buying it and then post it on Facebook so my relatives who are carrying on about their Target boycott can see it. These relatives, by the way, never shopped at Target to begin with. But they LOVE to brag about how they won't set foot in Target now. 

21 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

A really immature part of me wants to go to SuperTarget and buy a bunch of Kellogs products and take pictures of myself buying it and then post it on Facebook so my relatives who are carrying on about their Target boycott can see it. These relatives, by the way, never shopped at Target to begin with. But they LOVE to brag about how they won't set foot in Target now. 

This may be me being a bad influence... do it. :pb_lol:

Oh for fucks sake, Breitbart put this up on their site: 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/nov/30/breitbart-news-kelloggs-advertising-boycott-alt-right?CMP=share_btn_tw

“Boycotting Breitbart News for presenting mainstream American ideas is an act of discrimination and intense prejudice,” he added. “If you serve Kellogg’s products to your family, you are serving up bigotry at your breakfast table.”

This is coming from a site that praises the Confederate flag, says that birth control makes women crazy and ugly and regularly makes homophobic, sexist, racist, and xenophobic comments. What a bunch of special snowflakes. They don't think any of the hateful things they publish count as bigotry, but if a company refuses to advertise with them then they start shouting about discrimination, prejudice and bigotry. 

It's truly amazing to me how low the far-right's threshold for discrimination is when it affects them. 

Let's review, according to them: 

African Americans being killed by police in much higher numbers than white people = not racism

women, minorities and gay people being stripped of basic civil rights = not bigotry

someone not getting their coffee fast enough = bigotry

someone being asked to buy a $1 bag = racism

companies choosing not to advertise on your site because they disagree with your viewpoints = discrimination and bigotry

What a bunch of sheltered cry-babies. 

I love how Breitbart writes that they present mainstream American ideas. Gee, if racism, misogyny, and xenophobia are mainstream American ideas, I guess I have been misinformed most of my life.

I sent an email to Kellogg's customer service, thanking them for pulling those ads and saying that I am a long-time consumer who will continue to buy their products.

George Takei's tweet was hilarious:  "Breitbart is getting a much deserved karmic bitchslap"

My local Target has a Starbucks in it so I'd call that a win-win. Now to just add some Kellogg's products when I go there!

These Breitbart morons sure aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer if they think their boycotts are going to work. I've seen numerous Trump voters on Twitter saying how liberals are "crybabies" and should "suck it up" and now Breitbart is  whining. Fuck that shit.

A bunch of Republicans on twitter are now claiming they're boycotting Kelloggs, but I'm taking that with a grain of salt since I keep hearing Republicans who don't even shop at Target or who would never go to see Hamilton claim they're boycotting.

But, in any case, a lot of people who are happy that Kelloggs pulled their ads from Breibart are doing a counter boycott and they're  buying extra Kelloggs products. 

If anyone on here wants to join in but is concerned that Kelloggs products are too filled with empty carbohydrates, a quick reminder: Kelloggs owns Kashi. So there are healthier options. 

Oh good grief. Trump supporters are now whining on twitter that Kelloggs doesn't believe in free speech. 

I'm so sick of explaining to far-right Republicans that freedom of speech means the freedom to speak out against the government without fear of prosecution. It does not mean freedom to say whatever you want without consequences. You can still get fired from your job, or have customers boycott you or GASP have people disagree with you on social media and none of that falls under the category of a loss of freedom of speech. 

34 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Oh good grief. Trump supporters are now whining on twitter that Kelloggs doesn't believe in free speech. 

I'm so sick of explaining to far-right Republicans that freedom of speech means the freedom to speak out against the government without fear of prosecution. It does not mean freedom to say whatever you want without consequences. You can still get fired from your job, or have customers boycott you or GASP have people disagree with you on social media and none of that falls under the category of a loss of freedom of speech. 

I always frame it as I have every right to walk into work and cuss out my boss.  The police won't show up and drag me to jail.  I won't be prosecuted for it, but I will most likely find myself unemployed,  particularly in my hell hole of a red state with its "right to work" law.  

Consequences.  They're a thing.

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I am what one might call an "extreme couponer" (it's a real budgeting and getting-out-of-debt plan, suck it Stevehovah!) and I am taking this news to mean that I will purchase even MORE Kelloggs products than I do already! And I will donate even more to food pantries - take that reich wing nut jobs.

Next time I do a big haul, I will post it to my social media for all to see. I'm a little petty like that...

6 minutes ago, JoyfulSel said:

Not sure if I've mentioned this before, but I am what one might call an "extreme couponer" (it's a real budgeting and getting-out-of-debt plan, suck it Stevehovah!) and I am taking this news to mean that I will purchase even MORE Kelloggs products than I do already! And I will donate even more to food pantries - take that reich wing nut jobs.

Next time I do a big haul, I will post it to my social media for all to see. I'm a little petty like that...

Me reading this:

IMG_4727.PNG

14 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Me reading this:

IMG_4727.PNG

:pb_lol: I needed that laugh! I'm thinking up some colorful hashtags that I will include. I'm about to print EGGO waffle coupons now!

And of course Twitter is now getting in on the fun...

munchies.vice.com/en/articles/breitbartcereals-goes-viral-during-cereal-culture-wars

But yesterday, the conservative site—formerly headed by Steve Bannon, now the chief strategist to tweeter-in-chief and President-elect Donald Trump—hit back. Breitbart promptly asked its readers to boycott Kellogg’s cereals, calling their withdrawal of ad money “as un-American as it gets” and a “war on conservatism.”

Obviously, with the political climate being what it currently is in America, it wasn’t long before someone else retaliated against Breitbart. That someone was the Internet—or at least a large segment of it.

The hashtag #BreitbartCereals quickly picked up steam on Twitter, leading to a wild assortment of puns and Photoshopped images referencing racism, the Constitution, and President-elect Trump. Heck, even some conservative commentators got in on the fun, though mostly to make fun of “progs” and display their masculinity with firearms.

But for the most part, it was people taking shots at Trump, his hair, his children, and his proposed policies. 

Here's a small sampling of the #BreitbartCerals

Sleeping Giants has just updated their list of companies that have pulled their advertising from Breitbart. We're up to 58 companies!!!!

Here's the list: 

8 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

Sleeping Giants has just updated their list of companies that have pulled their advertising from Breitbart. We're up to 58 companies!!!!

Here's the list: 

Good.  All companies should pull their advertising.  You can be conservative without being a racist, misogynistic, xenophobic asshole.  Brietbart's nonsense should not be tolerated in civil society and its our job as humans to hold anyone espousing these ideals or supporting them (intentionally or not) accountable for the damage they do to the world.

On 11/30/2016 at 4:27 PM, RoseWilder said:

I hope you enjoy explaining to your kids that they can't have their Frosted Flakes anymore because "standing up for hate is important." 

Where does Count Chocula (General Mills) stand in all of this? Just, you know, askin.

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Where does Count Chocula (General Mills) stand in all of this? Just, you know, askin.

One!  One dollar from Kellogg's!  Two!  Two dollars from Kellogg's!  Ha ha ha!  Three!  Three dollars from Kellogg's!  Four!  Four dollars from Kellogg's....oh wait, wrong Count! 

116 companies have now pulled their ads! The guy who is running this campaign tweeted that companies are dropping their ads from Breitbart so fast that he's having a hard time keeping the list updated!

Great news about all these companies pulling out! I purchased 5 EGGO waffle packages today, it was an excellent deal with juice, eggs, etc.! GO KELLOGGS!

Archived