IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Jucifer

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

That Scientology is allowed to exist is really interesting to me.  It's pretty obvious that something hinky is going on, yet there is very little government or law enforcement pushback.  I find that very curious and can only assume Scientology has some friends in very high places.

Actually, there has been considerable government pushback. The book "Going Clear" details what the US government tried to do, and how it failed. 

The problem is that any organization calling itself a religion is protected by the US Bill of Rights in ways secular organizations aren't.

I hate that I'm even thinking about this... but after watching the show I'm imagining what would happen if scientologists tried to convert me.

I think it would go something like this:

I read in the comments of Mike Rinders blog Wednesday, that when Katie Holmes dad found out she was going to marry Tom, he worked with a team of lawyers (he's a divorce lawyer and a practicing Catholic) By the time they were done they had 8 legal boxes of documents for the pre-nup. That's why the divorce basically was done in 2 weeks. It's his choice (though probably David Miscaviges) that he doesn't see Suri because she is the daughter of an SP, Katie. I don't know what Katie knows but she knows something. 

You don't see Tom out and about and dating, and he's selling off an awful lot of property. He's probably one of the biggest donors IAS has, next to Nancy Cartwright. I think this series could be the beginning of the end, if $cilons watch it. Not the Sea-Org who have no access, but the public $sci's who keep being asked for $$ that doesn't end up where they think it should. All these empty Ideal Orgs, with paper over the windows so no one can see it???

17 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

I read in the comments of Mike Rinders blog Wednesday, that when Katie Holmes dad found out she was going to marry Tom, he worked with a team of lawyers (he's a divorce lawyer and a practicing Catholic) By the time they were done they had 8 legal boxes of documents for the pre-nup. That's why the divorce basically was done in 2 weeks. It's his choice (though probably David Miscaviges) that he doesn't see Suri because she is the daughter of an SP, Katie. I don't know what Katie knows but she knows something. 

You don't see Tom out and about and dating, and he's selling off an awful lot of property. He's probably one of the biggest donors IAS has, next to Nancy Cartwright. I think this series could be the beginning of the end, if $cilons watch it. Not the Sea-Org who have no access, but the public $sci's who keep being asked for $$ that doesn't end up where they think it should. All these empty Ideal Orgs, with paper over the windows so no one can see it???

I haven't heard that one before. Wonder what, if any, knowledge Pa Holmes had about Scientology then? Was he just looking out for Katie on a general level, or did he know more that led him to write such a seemingly airtight pre-nup?

I haven't heard that one before. Wonder what, if any, knowledge Pa Holmes had about Scientology then? Was he just looking out for Katie on a general level, or did he know more that led him to write such a seemingly airtight pre-nup?

I'm guessing Pa Holmes knew or found out enough about $cientology to make him nervous for his daughter and grandchild. Katie is lucky to have had a father who put her ducks in a row.

I have heard part of the reason for the divorce was b/c Suri was school age, and in $cientology that is when kids start getting audited. Katie saw the writing on the wall and got the hell out with Suri so she wouldn't end up estranged from her own child.

I tried going to the underground bunker sight.  It seemed really disjointed to me and hard to read.  Is there a sight out there like FJ for Scientology that explains things a little more?

11 hours ago, Incognito22 said:

I tried going to the underground bunker sight.  It seemed really disjointed to me and hard to read.  Is there a sight out there like FJ for Scientology that explains things a little more?

Yeah, Jenna Miscavige Hill (David's niece) and a couple of other former sci kids started one. 

My husband has a weird fascination with the $cientologists. On Tony Ortega's blog he interviewed Bonny's second husband about his sci journey and why Leah didn't interview him. It was interesting.

Found it again 

http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/02/you-saw-bonny-elliott-talk-about-her-battle-with-scientology-now-hear-it-from-her-husband/

In high school, one of my theatre teachers told us about this kid (I don't remember if she told us or someone else did) that went to a Scientology church or center in New York. One of my classmates laughed and said he'd like to try that, but my teacher warned against it. I was on Reddit a while back and this one person said he/she went to a church or whatnot just to check it out, and the people there tried to dig into his insecurities to get him to join. They just wanted his money, badly.

1 hour ago, SHERA said:

Yeah, Jenna Miscavige Hill (David's niece) and a couple of other former sci kids started one. 

My husband has a weird fascination with the $cientologists. On Tony Ortega's blog he interviewed Bonny's second husband about his sci journey and why Leah didn't interview him. It was interesting.

Found it again 

http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/02/you-saw-bonny-elliott-talk-about-her-battle-with-scientology-now-hear-it-from-her-husband/

Thanks!

On 12/2/2016 at 4:46 PM, SamiKatz said:

I think Suri looks like William Mapother (Ethan from Lost, and Tom's cousin).  I've always thought that Suri might be his as Tom's first wife said he couldn't have kids (long before he was super famous)

I also think Connor Cruise really looks like Tom, so I do wonder about that.

That Scientology is allowed to exist is really interesting to me.  It's pretty obvious that something hinky is going on, yet there is very little government or law enforcement pushback.  I find that very curious and can only assume Scientology has some friends in very high places.

I think so too.

I've read a lot of Suri paternity  speculation on various boards over the years. I vaguely recall rumors about Tom being sterile.

As for Leah's show, I finally watched my DVR recording this morning and I loved how the show was presented with the interviews with Amy and Bonnie. I haven't read Leah's book. I have Ron Miscaviage's book on my Kindle and I haven't had a chance to read it.

On 11/30/2016 at 6:18 AM, dpndetfarm said:

There is a great podcast I have been working my way through called Surviving $cientology. It has interviews with a lot of the old heavy hitters who left. Lots of information about the abuses, the dangers and difficulties of leaving, and a lot of information about the way the money works and how the different companies are set up to protect what should be illegal business practices. They put a lot of money into their lawyers.

Anyway I have been looking forward to Ms. Remini's series although I have to wait until it's on the Internet somewhere. 

I had not heard about this podcast. Thanks for the heads up.

On 11/30/2016 at 2:41 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

Well Scientology already has a page dedicated to debunk Leah. spin spin spin

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/church-scientology-launches-website-counter-leah-remini-e-150427284.html

They have a page to debunk everyone :)

I wonder if Tom Cruise is still as crazy Scientology as he was?

On 12/4/2016 at 1:45 PM, lilwriter85 said:

I haven't read Leah's book.

It's really funny and I highly recommend the audiobook because her reading  of it makes it even funnier (particularly her early life). The later Scientology years are a really interesting look at what was going on with Scientologist celebrities on a personal level during the Cruise/Holmes wedding/baby spectacular. 

On 12/3/2016 at 8:39 PM, Incognito22 said:

Try reading Mike Rinders blog: http://www.mikerindersblog.org He was a major player until he saw the light. Then the $scilons started their hounding of him, he was disconnected from his then wife and children who are still ins. He has some really interesting commenters and guest writers. He was also on the first episode of Leah's documentary. 

36 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

Try reading Mike Rinders blog: http://www.mikerindersblog.org He was a major player until he saw the light. Then the $scilons started their hounding of him, he was disconnected from his then wife and children who are still ins. He has some really interesting commenters and guest writers. He was also on the first episode of Leah's documentary. 

When it comes to Mike Rinder (and Tommy Davis) I remain - uncertain.  He was into this garbage over his eyeballs.  They were both enforcers until Miscavige dumped them.  Now they are disgruntled enforcers aiming themselves against Miscavige (who won the pool and took over), but not necessarily aiming against the sick institution that is Scientology.

If they ever succeed in deposing Miscavige - I think they will be back trying to pick up the pieces and taking his place.

But all hail, Leah Remini.  That woman has guts and has put a whole lot on the line.  Leah seems conclusively free.

If you are interested, Leah Remini's book that came out last year is a quick read and details many of the things she discusses in the documentary. She really goes in-depth into how her family ended up involved in Scientology, the positive impact it has on their lives (seems like that mainly focused on her husband), and ends with all the issues they have with the church. I'm 

I saw one of the episodes (a rerun) yesterday; it may have been the 1st one but I'm not sure. It was interesting & eye-opening for the most part (as I know little to nothing about the CO$), but am I crazy to think some parts were a wee bit forced & sensationalized?

There was a branch office of the CO$ a mile or two down the road from my house; I don't think it's there anymore, but I do remember seeing people protesting it a few years ago. I'm starting to get the picture as to why.

Sorry for stealing the "CO$", but it seems very appropriate to refer to them that way (& I can't remember whom it was here that came up with it). All credit for it goes to you!

22 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

They have a page to debunk everyone :)

I wonder if Tom Cruise is still as crazy Scientology as he was?

(Still need to read pages two and three, but saw the above comment, and wanted to reply :) )
The sad part is, even if he isn't he's pretty much trapped.  Part of the "Going Clear" doc I watched talked about them basically learning every secret of your life, not to help you gain spiritual enlightenment (like they claim), but in order to blackmail you when you try to leave.  Tom Cruise has been part of that church for a very long time, and they probably know things about him that he doesn't want the rest of the world to know.  He's their "face" of the religion, and I think it's a thin line of "keep him happy" and "keep him in line". 

I also heard about the whole extensive pre nup Katie Holmes' Dad did for his daughter, but figured (at the time) that it had more to do with him being a divorce lawyer and looking out for his daughter, than anything else.  But hey, who knows?  I do think that Suri becoming of "auditing age", and Tom Cruise not backing off from saying she needed to go through with it, did have everything to do with their divorce.  I wonder if when Katie married him, she didn't think it was all that bad, but behind the scenes, as Suri became older, the pressure (and real face of the organization) was shown to her for the first time and like most mothers, decided if not for herself, than for her child ~ if that was the case, then good for her.

Episode 1 popped up on my DVR.  Amazing and powerful; very touching.  So interesting that the end of Leah Remini as a Scientologist hinged on only two words: Where's Shelley?

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, Grimalkin said:

I missed the first 20 minutes. I found this fascinating. I just looked at the page they created to refute her. http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com/ It seems like current Scientologists are the intended audience. Having such a famous member must of shook up a lot of members, rumors and speculation travel fast. Damage control.

http://www.whoisamyscobee.com/#

Scientology has a website up on Amy Scobee, too!

3 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

I also heard about the whole extensive pre nup Katie Holmes' Dad did for his daughter, but figured (at the time) that it had more to do with him being a divorce lawyer and looking out for his daughter, than anything else.  But hey, who knows?  I do think that Suri becoming of "auditing age", and Tom Cruise not backing off from saying she needed to go through with it, did have everything to do with their divorce.  I wonder if when Katie married him, she didn't think it was all that bad, but behind the scenes, as Suri became older, the pressure (and real face of the organization) was shown to her for the first time and like most mothers, decided if not for herself, than for her child ~ if that was the case, then good for her.

You know, some things came to me as I was mindlessly performing my wifely duties by vacuuming today--

It seems crazy to me that there would be that impressive of a pre-nup and that Tom would agree to it. I would think that there had to be something BIG in it for him. I know there was a short time in there recently that Katie was speculated to be in a relationship with Jamie Foxx. My speculation is that they were really good friends, but that once the press really started focusing on them as a possible couple, they had to distance themselves from each other. That in mind, I think one of the requirements in the pre-nup that possibly would have been in Tom's favor is that Katie agrees to not carry on a serious relationship with another man until Suri is 18.

21 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

You know, some things came to me as I was mindlessly performing my wifely duties by vacuuming today--

It seems crazy to me that there would be that impressive of a pre-nup and that Tom would agree to it. I would think that there had to be something BIG in it for him. I know there was a short time in there recently that Katie was speculated to be in a relationship with Jamie Foxx. My speculation is that they were really good friends, but that once the press really started focusing on them as a possible couple, they had to distance themselves from each other. That in mind, I think one of the requirements in the pre-nup that possibly would have been in Tom's favor is that Katie agrees to not carry on a serious relationship with another man until Suri is 18.

She got a per year settlement rather than half of total assets acquired during the marriage. That was what was in it for him. California law is 50-50 division of such assets, the pre-nup meant that did not apply. 

I highly doubt that a top level divorce lawyer would agree to such a clause for his own daughter to abide by particularly as it might mean no more grandchildren if she were to avoid any serious relationship as a result. She will be 45 when Suri turns 18. I would think her parent would want to preserve her right to pursue another more stable relationship/family life if she chooses. 

I'm still working on my first cup of coffee-so please excuse any errors. CO$ is not a church or religion!:kitty-cussing:  It is a for profit organization! !! Also most churches do not blackmail their members with their confessions! Whatever flaws my religions (yes I have 2) have no person in authority has ever asked or demanded $$$ from me or forced me to go to confession (auditing).

5 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

It was interesting & eye-opening for the most part (as I know little to nothing about the CO$), but am I crazy to think some parts were a wee bit forced & sensationalized?

I wouldn't call you crazy. :)  Which parts did you think were forced and sensationalized?

Leah has rather dramatic delivery, but unfortunately nothing the program covered was new to me nor was it sensationalized, IMO.  I'm just a person who has been observing the cult since the 1970s.  That's when I had a tiny brush with them and luckily ran like hell.  I still think they might have got me in their clutches if they'd used a softer sell.  

Scientology has always been weird as hell.  A "religion" cynically invented by a sci fi author who wanted fame, fortune and adulation.  L Ron, rather dramatically disappeared and died, quite suspiciously, in hiding.  Co$ has started to implode over the last few years as David Miscavige (who is a psycho) began attacking more and more higher ups in the organization.  The ones who blow tell remarkably consistent stories about what is going on behind the scenes.  Yes, it is believable.

Sorry for stealing the "CO$", but it seems very appropriate to refer to them that way (& I can't remember whom it was here that came up with it).

I don't know who first coined the acronym but it's quite common among watchers and survivors.  

47 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

I'm still working on my first cup of coffee-so please excuse any errors. CO$ is not a church or religion!:kitty-cussing:  It is a for profit organization! !!

Unfortunately it is recognized as a church and a religion in far too many countries.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_status_by_country

When it comes to Mike Rinder (and Tommy Davis) I remain - uncertain.  He was into this garbage over his eyeballs.  They were both enforcers until Miscavige dumped them.  Now they are disgruntled enforcers aiming themselves against Miscavige (who won the pool and took over), but not necessarily aiming against the sick institution that is Scientology.
If they ever succeed in deposing Miscavige - I think they will be back trying to pick up the pieces and taking his place.
But all hail, Leah Remini.  That woman has guts and has put a whole lot on the line.  Leah seems conclusively free.

Interesting I was initially more skeptical of Rinder but I think over the years my view has softened. You are correct he did some pretty shitty things, but he has apologized. One of the many things I dislike about $ci - in particular Sea Org - is how normal people are broken down and under duress become vicious.

I could see Marty Rathbun going back - and in some ways he has tried to set up his own Squirrel thing. As I understand Rinder has completely left the ideology behind.

Tommy Davis - I don't think he has gone public about exiting the church. He is selling real estate in Austin, TX last I heard?

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived