IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Jucifer

11 hours ago, Jucifer said:

It's a 'limited series' as far as I can tell. IDK what that means. ;)

Apparently, 8 installments.  According to Salon.com:  

It is hard to fathom anyone other than the most hard-core obsessives sticking around to watch all eight installments of this limited series.

I missed last night, but am setting up the DVR to record the rest of the series and I don't think of myself as obsessive or hard core.  It's just fascinating!   

ETA: It's being discussed on GMA right now.  I notice they are very careful to refer to it as the Church of Scientology, but their treatment of the series is very sympathetic to Lisa Remini and not giving anything to Scientology.  However, I'm sure every word of the commentary that came out of the mouths of George Stephanopoulos , Dan Abrams and Dan Harris was carefully vetted to be legally bombproof.

Lisa Remini wants the Church to pay her 1.5 million, but no lawsuit has been filed. 

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Howl said:

I don't think of myself as obsessive or hard core.  It's just fascinating!   

I agree along with other extreme lifestyles, I find the sociological part of all these lifestyles fascinating. They almost all bring me back to one thought- how do you get sucked in and brainwashed if you were exposed to different views earlier on? (I am not talking about the people born into the cults, but those that choose it) Also my next thought are for those that have known nothing else I wonder what makes some of them question things and get out and others keep following. We (humans) are very interesting!

Some thoughts I had after watching the show:

I admire Scientologists for the dedication and sheer life energy they put into their 'religion'. It seems to me that most of them are good people. Although seriously misguided IMO, they are sincerely trying to make the world a better place.* Sigh* it seems true of people in so many religions.

It vexes me... why are they sacrificing years of their lives and resources and even their families to this?

I have to go back to my own past for this- I think my interest in art and music is what saved me from the religion I was born into.  Certain kinds of art are bad... rock music is evil... it didnt make any sense. It led me to question everything about my religion and that was the key to escaping it.

Maybe the lack of a passionate interest is one reason people are susceptible to cults?  They get a ready-made mission handed to them. It's great! Really, it is!  We'll give you the details later...

It may seem silly but another thing that pings my radar about Scientology is their clueless sense of design.  Take their building in Hollywood for example.  Let's paint it blue and put an enormous ugly cross on it because we're a real religion! 

They showed a few clips of celebrity Scientology gatherings in the LR show.  The over-the-top decoration of the stages was interesting.  

My opinion as a degreed art professional ( ;) ) is that the stage decoration gave off a fascist vibe. Big, vulgar, it 'bongs' as we used to say in my commercial art class many moons ago about ads in the yellow pages of the phone book.    Just ugly. 

I really admire Leah Remini for speaking her mind and trying to help people who are caught up in this mess.

I haven't watched the show (yet--I definitely want to see it once I have time), but something Leah Remini said in her AMA that I thought was interesting was that most of the current Scientologists are second- or third-generation members. Leaving any religion is hard when you've been taught to believe it all your life and your family is still in it, but it would be extremely hard with a religion like Scientology. It makes me have a lot more sympathy for current Scientologists.

In 2006 I took a trip to CA with friends. We spent a day in Hollywood.  At one point I looked across the street and saw the blue Scientology building.

It didn't bother my friends but the sight of it gave me chills.

In my memory of that day it was the cross that bothered me.  Looking at pictures of it now, it wasn't the cross, it was the oversized letters spelling out Scientology that gave me the willies.

Sometimes appearances can say a lot. 

A couple of years ago I went on a weekend trip to NYC with my DH. When I saw Trump Tower with his name spelled out in oversized gold letters on the front I got the same feeling.

Just my experience, YMMV ;)

@Jucifer,  I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a resemblance between the CO$ building and Trump Tower.  Both are as tacky as hell, but there is something very disquieting about them, too.

To me, the Hollyood Scientology center looks like Disney World's Tower of Terror and North Korea's Ryugyong Hotel (pre-exterior finish) had a baby.

I'm not hard-core obsessed, but I will watch all eight episode. DVR'd the first one, watching it now.

Maybe it will be revealed how this cult is a religion and is tax exempt. At best, it it a self-improvement group gone awry, akin to Landmark Education and the like. Everytime they say church, I cringe. Who is the deity, Tom Cruise?

Found it on A & E and realized that the first episode will also be played next Tuesday, so both episodes are set to record. 

Dudes.... I am so bummed about not having cable I can't even. I am a big "fan" of Scientology --- these fuckers are cray cray. At least with run of the mill fundies, we can recognize what they believe in, give or take name changes, but these assholes are a whole different brand of loops, of the scary as shit kind. 

I missed the first 20 minutes. I found this fascinating. I just looked at the page they created to refute her. http://www.leahreminiaftermath.com/ It seems like current Scientologists are the intended audience. Having such a famous member must of shook up a lot of members, rumors and speculation travel fast. Damage control.

Fair play to Leah for not backing down against them. About 10 years ago I remember watching a documentary on Scientology on BBC's Panorama. The presenter John Sweeney after being critical of them was followed and hounded by them for days. They wanted to control what he filmed and eventually he lost it with them and started screaming at them. It may not have been the most professional manner to deal with it but I don't blame him for losing his cool. The Scientologists then leaked the footage online to make him look worse. 

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Fair play to Leah for not backing down against them. About 10 years ago I remember watching a documentary on Scientology on BBC's Panorama. The presenter John Sweeney after being critical of them was followed and hounded by them for days. They wanted to control what he filmed and eventually he lost it with them and started screaming at them. It may not have been the most professional manner to deal with it but I don't blame him for losing his cool. The Scientologists then leaked the footage online to make him look worse. 

I saw that too. It didn't bother me that Sweeney lost his cool. He has a longer fuse than I do. ;)

On 11/29/2016 at 9:24 PM, RabbitKM said:

Luckily, I was able to catch this episode on TV! I am glad I watched it. I like how they didn't focus too much on giving us the basic info on scientology, they probably assume that many viewers have already seen other interviews and documentaries on the subject.  I enjoyed hearing the fresh (to me) perspective from other people who have left.  

One thing that struck me was Leah's strong anger about the abuses in the church and her need to expose it.  It just strikes me because I feel this church is very similar in a way to the FLDS. They both completely shun outsiders, especially defectors of the faith.  They both completely abuse the heck out of their members and shove everything under the rug. And somehow the authorities have done little to nothing to address any of this with either group. I think what Leah is doing is great, and hopefully this is able to reach some people who need help getting out. I wish there was something like this for the FLDS. It seems that any tv show or anything on them has little effect.

Escaping Polygamy is very similar and shows the escape of some FLDS. I highly recommend it.

i think what irks me the most about religions like scientology and  flds, is the way they are allowed to operate above the law. 

I'm sure that if it wouldn't mean tying their lawyers up in court for many, many years, scientology would have their tax-free status taken away. 

The abuses SHOULD be properly investigated and charges laid where appropriate but the government seems afraid to poke the bear.

6 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm not hard-core obsessed, but I will watch all eight episode. DVR'd the first one, watching it now.

Maybe it will be revealed how this cult is a religion and is tax exempt. At best, it it a self-improvement group gone awry, akin to Landmark Education and the like. Everytime they say church, I cringe. Who is the deity, Tom Cruise?

Nope, Tom is the bait, along with John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, etc.

I'm a fan of the Surviving Scientology podcast as well.

If you wonder how someone even a very intelligent can get sucked into a cult read Going Clear by Lawrence Wright. Paul Haggis' $cientology journey is documented, and you can see how someone might get sucked in.

As someone else noted the Co$ is mainly second/third generation, and they haven't had a great deal of luck retaining members in recent years. Miscavige is like Stalin - he has gradually drive away the most long term, loyal members. I can't see the church surviving after Miscavige is no longer in charge, but I think they will gradually peter out instead of one big event taking them down.

14 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

In Leah's Reddit AMA, she responded that yes, Tom is pretty much the Messiah lol

11 hours ago, Inky said:

i think what irks me the most about religions like scientology and  flds, is the way they are allowed to operate above the law. 

I'm sure that if it wouldn't mean tying their lawyers up in court for many, many years, scientology would have their tax-free status taken away. 

The abuses SHOULD be properly investigated and charges laid where appropriate but the government seems afraid to poke the bear.

This. I get the impression with the way the First Amendment works most of the time is that religious organizations are given a wide berth to operate, even if they commit human and civil rights abuses in the process. This is why freedom from religion is so important for us to fight for, because it seems like the rights of religious organizations Trump those of individuals and I think it will get worse before it gets better with this new administration.

16 hours ago, 16strong said:

To me, the Hollyood Scientology center looks like Disney World's Tower of Terror and North Korea's Ryugyong Hotel (pre-exterior finish) had a baby.

The statements the "Church" generates about ex Scientologists remind me of the typical North Korean statements about enemies of the state.  David Miscavige has more in common with Kim Jong Un than he will ever know. 

@Cleopatra7, I saw what you did there!

This is why freedom from religion is so important for us to fight for, because it seems like the rights of religious organizations Trump those of individuals and I think it will get worse before it gets better with this new administration.

59 minutes ago, Howl said:

The statements the "Church" generates about ex Scientologists remind me of the typical North Korean statements about enemies of the state.  David Miscavige has more in common with Kim Jong Un than he will ever know.

Definitely. Short men with bad haircuts and no taste in clothing given to elaborate ceremonies and throwing their enemies into pits.

The full episode is up on the A&E website.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I use the sling app To watch these shows live.  It's basically like cable but $20 and you get a week free.  My boyfriend and I may or may not have enjoyed 2 free weeks of walking dead before we just decided to buy the app. I was super excited about the Scientology expose!  I wonder if that's why Tom Cruise isn't even seen with suri anymore.  Did he have to denounce her too?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:36 PM, Jana814 said:

I think it means only a few episodes.  Glad their will be more episodes, I loved her 20/20 interview so this should be more in depth. 

8 episodes! This will be good!

7 minutes ago, Incognito22 said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned but I use the sling app To watch these shows live.  It's basically like cable but $20 and you get a week free.  My boyfriend and I may or may not have enjoyed 2 free weeks of walking dead before we just decided to buy the app. I was super excited about the Scientology expose!  I wonder if that's why Tom Cruise isn't even seen with suri anymore.  Did he have to denounce her too?

It's pretty widely accepted among Sci-watchers that Suri -- an adult in a little body according to Scientology -- is an SP and thus Tom should avoid her. Because you know how threatening to one's deeply held religious convictions 9-yo girls can be. 

For some real conspiracy-theory times, look at photos of David Miscavige, Shelly Miscavige and Tom's daughter Isabella Cruise. Some time ago it was noted how Bella's natural posture is very much like David's.  Watching episode 1 the other night, I thought Shelly looked familiar and realized she shares some significant facial features with Ms. Cruise. Yes, there are those who suspect the child was conceived and birthed to be adopted by Tom and then-wife Nicole Kidman. 

I only report.  I don't decide. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived