IGNORED

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Jucifer

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

Leah Remini's series about Scientology begins tonight at 10/9 central. 

Might be interesting. 

What station is it on?

ETA:  Just checked.  It's on A&E.

I have relatives who are very much into Scientology- they do not have any contact with me, even before I cut that side of the family entirely out of my life. Seems I'm a "disruptive influence" :my_biggrin:! I'll be watching with interest.

Just now, DaniLouisiana said:

I have relatives who are very much into Scientology- they do not have any contact with me, even before I cut that side of the family entirely out of my life. Seems I'm a "disruptive influence" :my_biggrin:! I'll be watching with interest.

Ugh, Dani, so sorry to hear that!!!

Sigh. It's times like this, I wish I had cable! I will definitely try and find this on the internet later. 

I love Leah and how she's not bowing down to Scientology. 

10 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I saw it being advertised. It's on my DVR for tonight. It's a series?  I thought it was just a one time show. 

It's a 'limited series' as far as I can tell. IDK what that means. ;)

5 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

It's a 'limited series' as far as I can tell. IDK what that means. ;)

I think it means only a few episodes.  Glad their will be more episodes, I loved her 20/20 interview so this should be more in depth. 

39 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I am tuned in.  She looks fairly angry.

I can see why, the people she is interviewing are telling her about beatings and rape and as a celebrity she was shielded from all abuse. The celebrity handler was interesting that everyone hired to help Tom Cruise are all scientologists.

A lot of what they talk about sounds like all the stuff of the Christian fundies that are wrapped up in Gothard, or Doug or the Pearls or Maxwells, or FLDS, etc. The separating from family members, isolation,  the outside world is evil, lack of education, manual labor, praise of how much smarter they are than others, government conspiracy theories, etc.

The show is very good.

I became a critic of $cn 20 years ago, when I first read about the death of Lisa McPherson.  21 years ago today, Lisa was in the process of losing her mind and dying while locked in a hotel room by her "friends" at Co$ headquarters in Clearwater, FL. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_McPherson

It is unbelievably wonderful to see people like Leah, Mike Rinder, Mark Rathbun, Amy Scobee, and other former $cns not only leaving but speaking out. I believe every word they say about the abuses they witnessed, suffered, and committed. What they're doing now is really courageous and impressive.

As Arnie Lerma first said long ago: Scientology is worse than you think.  Even when you think you've heard the worst . . . there's more. 20 years on, I'm still learning of worse.

A&E will probably make the show viewable on their web site: http://www.aetv.com/shows/leah-remini-scientology-and-the-aftermath (they also have the letters Co$ sent attacking Leah and the other participants).

This show just mind blowing.  I have done some reading before about people who got out of SeaOrg... but wow.

I think I prefer being part of a church that is ok whether you attend or not.  Contribute or not.  Giving to the community rather than isolating their members from same.

Scientology is not a church, no matter what they say. Churches don't usually charge church goers for services. Scientology charges for everything, many hundreds of dollars.  My aunt had to move in with her daughter , who is also in Scientology,  as she moved 'up the ladder'.

Luckily, I was able to catch this episode on TV! I am glad I watched it. I like how they didn't focus too much on giving us the basic info on scientology, they probably assume that many viewers have already seen other interviews and documentaries on the subject.  I enjoyed hearing the fresh (to me) perspective from other people who have left.  

One thing that struck me was Leah's strong anger about the abuses in the church and her need to expose it.  It just strikes me because I feel this church is very similar in a way to the FLDS. They both completely shun outsiders, especially defectors of the faith.  They both completely abuse the heck out of their members and shove everything under the rug. And somehow the authorities have done little to nothing to address any of this with either group. I think what Leah is doing is great, and hopefully this is able to reach some people who need help getting out. I wish there was something like this for the FLDS. It seems that any tv show or anything on them has little effect.

Leah is so incredibly brave to keep pushing to bring this all to light.  I know she takes flack for it.  I enjoyed her book Troublemaker tremendously, and learned a TON I did not know about Scientology.  I thought it was just some weird religion for Hollywood types, where they believed this weird guy named L. Ron hubbard.  That is all I knew.  I had no clue they were a cult, that they abused people, that it was SO huge!  Her book was eye opening and I have tried to study up on it since. 

Honestly, though, I fear for her and her family's safety.  :(  They seem to be so far reaching in their ability to 'get' people!  Kind of reminds me of the mob... but worse, you know?

There is a great podcast I have been working my way through called Surviving $cientology. It has interviews with a lot of the old heavy hitters who left. Lots of information about the abuses, the dangers and difficulties of leaving, and a lot of information about the way the money works and how the different companies are set up to protect what should be illegal business practices. They put a lot of money into their lawyers.

Anyway I have been looking forward to Ms. Remini's series although I have to wait until it's on the Internet somewhere. 

• DaisyD locked this topic

Archived