IGNORED

Xmas Tree Tale of Woe

ladyamylynn

Here's a tale told in photos. Yesterday I got a lovely tree and decorated it! Then I discovered what my evil cats had done. About 10 beers, a hacksaw, a chainsaw, and much consternation later, we're back in business! Oh yeah, and an obligatory picture of the culprit.

FB_IMG_1480218999096.jpg

20161127_044954_1480251019594.jpg

20161127_145151_1480287394477.jpg

20161031_112543.jpg

The cats trashing the tree is always my biggest worry.  But that first photo is so pretty!!  And I love that your cat has a "what are you gonna do about it?" look on his face.  

Two years ago we had a 6 month old kitten and our first real tree in 20 years.  I put 6 eye bolts in the wall and tied the tree to them.  Surprisingly, the kitten left it alone.  

Our tree went down last year and we have no cat. Playakid 2 brought home a ginormous tree as per usual. He tries to get a bigger one every year and  last  year's was huge. Got it up and mostly decorated when down it came. Almost took out Playakid's girlfriend who managed to roll out of the way just in time. Broke a ton of decorations, scratched the hardwood floor and also water-damaged the floor. Broke part of the tree so we couldn't get it to stand up again no matter what we tried. Spent half the night sweeping, wiping and vacuuming the mess. Had to buy a new tree and new decorations. Good times.

Really looking forward to seeing what he brings home this year. We're seriously considering a fake tree this time around.

I just had the tree up last year, delicate glass ornaments were up on the top away from the cat. I left the tree to get some hot chocolate. I heard the crash. My cats had knocked the tree down and broken every glass ornament. They know what they are doing. 

2 hours ago, catlady said:

I put 6 eye bolts in the wall and tied the tree to them.

After tree disasters from rambunctious children, cats, dogs, etc., my mom finally took to nailing the top of our tree to the heavy ceiling beams in our house.  When we'd run into the tree, it would fall off its base and sway, but usually no harm done.  @ladyamylynn your tree is lovely.

You are definitely not alone! :)

Years ago, I was in sole charge of putting up the tree and decorating in my parents' house. It started with the dog lifting his leg, so I chase him away. Dog thinks it's a game, so we run circles around the tree. In the middle of decorating, the phone rings. Dog sees his chance and nabs Baby Jesus from the nativity. I answer the phone while chasing dog around the tree again. The tree topples, I'm holding it up, while assuring my mother that everything is under control, dog drops the figurine and pees against the tree...

My SIL asked me about us having tree this year-NO. Remy loves trees and is a climber.  Tree in the house is too much temptation.  We decorate this instead-There will be a pic of Remy at the top in the future (or possibly the new baby-Baz). Do not hate on me please!!!! I did not shoot it or place it in my living room because its the man cave.

1480305726810-1289899284.jpg

@DaniLouisiana, I'll admit that, at first, I thought that Remy was that magnificent antelope.  I thought, Wow! It climbs trees!  I think Remy must be your cat.  We've had cats climb our tree.  It's a tradition that each new kitten gets to climb the tree if they want to. Now though we just have 2 dogs to drink the tree dry.

Btw, Remy is a great name for a cat!

@PennySycamore,Thank you. His name fits him perfectly as he is very acrobatic and is named after my favorite Marvel Character. Trees are off limits to him after his adventures in my very tall Arizona Cypress which required an extension ladder extraction.

8 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

@PennySycamore,Thank you. His name fits him perfectly as he is very acrobatic and is named after my favorite Marvel Character. Trees are off limits to him after his adventures in my very tall Arizona Cypress which required an extension ladder extraction.

Gambit is my favorite too :my_biggrin:

Your tree is lovely! It should be interesting what my two cats will do to the tree. We got them Dec. 15th last year, but they were six months old and shy about exploring the house. They certainly are not shy anymore!

Your kitty is adorable. 

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

Your tree is lovely! It should be interesting what my two cats will do to the tree. We got them Dec. 15th last year, but they were six months old and shy about exploring the house. They certainly are not shy anymore!

Your kitty is adorable. 

Thanks! Buster (pictured) may act like a kitten but is actually going on 8 years old.  It remains to be seen if Shadow, the grey female who rules the household, or Captain Jean-Luc Picard, the cream tabby, will join him in fucking with the tree. For now it's upright again, and much more secure in its stand. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The feline headship has no problem with a Christmas tree. Maybe it's because we have an artificial tree (due to allergies) with fiber optic lights. We're going to put it and other decorations up tomorrow.

8 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

Thanks! Buster (pictured) may act like a kitten but is actually going on 8 years old.  It remains to be seen if Shadow, the grey female who rules the household, or Captain Jean-Luc Picard, the cream tabby, will join him in fucking with the tree. For now it's upright again, and much more secure in its stand. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

We need pictures of all your cats please! I laughed that you named your cat after Captain Picard. Over Thanksgiving my husband convinced my mom that Patrick Stewart was going to be the new Prime Minister of England.

11 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

@ladyamylynn I love the bottle of booze that appears in the picture after the takedown of the tree! :pb_lol:

Working in the wine industry, a shameful amount of my decor is made up of special wine bottles!

20 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

You are definitely not alone! :)

Years ago, I was in sole charge of putting up the tree and decorating in my parents' house. It started with the dog lifting his leg, so I chase him away. Dog thinks it's a game, so we run circles around the tree. In the middle of decorating, the phone rings. Dog sees his chance and nabs Baby Jesus from the nativity. I answer the phone while chasing dog around the tree again. The tree topples, I'm holding it up, while assuring my mother that everything is under control, dog drops the figurine and pees against the tree...

The baby Jesus from my parents' nativity scene lost his head one year to the stomach of an overly rambunctious dog. The same dog also ate a different baby Jesus' head from a small combination St Christopher/Jesus statue also belonging to my parents. I think maybe the dog was trying to tell us something. Playakid 1 has the headless statue glued on display on the dash of her car, just because.

My feline headship is in hiding. The house is a mess due to Eli hunting down to a mouse that was hiding in the box of decorations. Said mouse was not caught. Ewww. But I have faith in my feline headship to protect us. As his helpmeet, I will joyfully clean up the mess.

8 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

My feline headship is in hiding. The house is a mess due to Eli hunting down to a mouse that was hiding in the box of decorations. Said mouse was not caught. Ewww. But I have faith in my feline headship to protect us. As his helpmeet, I will joyfully clean up the mess.

Yes, cleaning the mess is the least a helpmeet can do as a thank you to her headship for protecting her and her family from the scourge of a mouse invasion. Be strong in your faith, @RosyDaisy, that your headship won't let you down.

I've not done anything Christmassy yet - but I think we may have mayhem with our new pup. 

I have to say that your cats all rock!

Pretty tree. I find it interesting that the cat that took down your tree is a tuxedo. Our tuxedo cat is a big, ramy boy. He delights in taunting our new puppy. He runs cross the room & jumps over the puppy, who is much smaller than the 15 pound car. Love to of boxing ears going on. Also swishing his tail in defrauding ways so puppy will bounce. This is why I don't plan to put up a tree until the last minute! 

This is my dog. He's mangling his stolen toy. PetSmart sells $5 stuffed animals that must contain the dog equivalent of catnip. My dog will find it no matter where it's hidden, chew off a limb, and unstuffed it. If I buy one for somebody I have to get at least one spare because unless I leave it in he car, he will find it. And of course it's always more fun when he discovers it himself. 

One year he took it out of my hand as I was trying to wrap it. 

IMG_0630.JPG

image.jpg

My feline headship caught and killed the mouse. He dropped it at my feet. Oh how brave! I thanked him by getting his favorite treats and lots of petting.

Dead mouse was quickly disposed of.

Archived