IGNORED

Another Duggar courting- Joy and Austin, Pt3

SassyPants

Changing topic slightly: Although I don't think Jim-Boob would ever force one of his daughters to marry if she didn't want to, I am absolutely sure he is all too aware of the beneficial effects of a courtship and wedding on the show's TLC ratings--and (ahem) on his "ministry."

So, Joy's courtship and presumable marriage, however much she may want them, are also part of a marketing strategy on the part of the Duggars and TLC.

From that point of view, I've been wondering how Joy (or any subsequent sibling) can possibly have a wedding that will match the expectations that Jinger's may have raised. Almost everyone thinks Jinger's wedding was the most sophisticated, most beautiful, most well-thought-out, etc., of any Duggar kidult's wedding so far. And presumably that sophistication, beauty, and thought required plenty of money to generate.

Is TLC, or Jim-Boob, or even Austin's family willing to pony up the money to pay for another blockbuster wedding? If not, will Joy's wedding regress to the level of Jill's hippy-fest, or Jessa's parking-lot-arama? And if it does, how will that affect ratings? Will an event on the level of Jill's or Jessa's wedding look cheap and tacky, after Jinger's wedding?

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

Changing topic slightly: Although I don't think Jim-Boob would ever force one of his daughters to marry if she didn't want to, I am absolutely sure he is all too aware of the beneficial effects of a courtship and wedding on the show's TLC ratings--and (ahem) on his "ministry."

So, Joy's courtship and presumable marriage, however much she may want them, are also part of a marketing strategy on the part of the Duggars and TLC.

From that point of view, I've been wondering how Joy (or any subsequent sibling) can possibly have a wedding that will match the expectations that Jinger's may have raised. Almost everyone thinks Jinger's wedding was the most sophisticated, most beautiful, most well-thought-out, etc., of any Duggar kidult's wedding so far. And presumably that sophistication, beauty, and thought required plenty of money to generate.

Is TLC, or Jim-Boob, or even Austin's family willing to pony up the money to pay for another blockbuster wedding? If not, will Joy's wedding regress to the level of Jill's hippy-fest, or Jessa's parking-lot-arama? And if it does, how will that affect ratings? Will an event on the level of Jill's or Jessa's wedding look cheap and tacky, after Jinger's wedding?

I've said this before Jill & Jinger's weddings were both, nice in their own ways, they both reflected the brides & grooms styles very much. Jill & Derrick are very much hippies, Jinger and Jeremy are much more trendy and stylish.  I do believe if allowed to Jinger would have dressed very differently than she had growing up, Jessa as well, though she would be more flashy & trendy and Jinger more subtly  stylish. Jill well she'd still look the same, though she would probably have some jeans in her wardrobe as well.  I think the same would be true for Joy, though fewer skirts and more pants. The only other girl I can see having a wedding anything like Jinger's would be Jana, she also strikes me as a more classically elegant woman

24 minutes ago, Analytica49 said:

It won't be as fancy as Jinger's. I have a hunch Joy-Anna's wedding will be simple and outdoors, taking place at Fort Rock (maybe during Spring/Summer). I say in the middle of the tacky-fancy spectrum. Then again, she's only 19 :/

I think the issue will become whether TLC believes that it is worth it to spend so much on another wedding. Jill's wedding had the highest ratings, followed by Jessa's and then a jinger's. Jinger's wedding may have been the most expensive and classy but it had the lowest ratings and Joy's wedding will likely be even lower. Does TLC want to put more money out to top the last wedding when the ratings are almost guaranteed to be lower? The Duggar wedding novelty has worn off but it's the only card they have left. No one is going to go to real college, get a job or live independently. 

Really, the wedding should be: A) what the couple wants and B) what the couple and families can afford. Collectively, the Duggars have pretty simple tastes (as Michelle once said, the Duggars are backyard and barefoot kind of people), so an extravagant affair is very, very unlikely.

Also, a wedding is a day. Donuts, apple cider and a bonfire is just as much a wedding/reception as what Jinger had. I think Jinger fancies herself the Grand Dame of the TTH sisters.

I can see her wedding as inexpensive and simple but done well. An outdoor reception with handmade decorations could be done on the cheap but would have a trendy shabby chic feel. Maybe Jana could lend her eye for interior design to the wedding. Just cake for the guests and some flowers for the wedding party plus table rentals, dresses, and odds and ends shouldn't be all that expensive when viewed in relation to jinger's wedding.

I'm on agreement with simple. They've described joy as outdoorsy and still overcoming her tomboy ways. I also think all of the weddings have matched the individual bride personalities.  I do think Jeremy had more influence in the last wedding. 

A bonfire could be a cute reception idea. They could have s'mores as food. If it's around autumn (I doubt her courtship/engagement will actually be that long) they could serve apple cider too. 

I think Joy would love a wedding in the woods, but that wouldn't work with 1000 people. Maybe if she actually has a small wedding, she could get married in that glass chapel so it kind of feels like they're outdoors, but they're actually in a church. 

If I were guessing, I would guess Joy would be married this spring, before camping season really gets going. That way, she could be a full time family camp staff member this summer (unpaid labor- totally fundie) and not have to prolong things until fall. I don't see a summer wedding as being a possibility for a family who runs a family camp. 

Yes, I hate this idea, but I'm trying to think like a Duggar/Forsyth.

I think she will actually have a late spring/early summer wedding at Fort Rock, April or May. Anyone who wants to stay that isn't immediate family will get room/camping discounts so the family can still make money during the wedding weekend. I definitely call that they were already engaged before the courtship was announced and had already set the wedding date and blocked off that weekend at the camp.

I see burlap, lace, plaid, and mason jars as wedding decor.

God only knows what Joy's dress will look like, something simple...maybe another t-shirt dress like Anna's. :( I could see her in something very similar to what she wore as a bridesmaid for Jinger's wedding, but in white. It will be very modest and won't show off her figure in anyway.

They will do a barbeque/burgers/hot dog/potato/macaroni salad reception (the first meal! but buffet/picnic style), and yes, I agree about the smores but it will probably be something like smore cupcakes or smore cookies, catered or at least prepared in advance. It will still be 1000+ guests but it will be simple. Nothing like JInger's wedding but a little less tacky than Jill and Jessa's weddings because Joy isn't fussy.

Be prepared for the return of Sierra, except she won't be in charge of food as that will be provided by the Fort Rock facilities. I just have a feeling that Fort Rock has done weddings before and they got this down pat. They will get married in a megachurch/cathedral, with afternoon reception/bbq and private weekend getaway for closer friends and family at the camp.

8 hours ago, Analytica49 said:

I don't think Joy wants a wedding like Jinger's. I see Joy preferring a country wedding. A simple, homemade, Pinteresty celebration with lots of wooden details and barbacue food.

So maybe Joy's wedding will be more simple and cheaper, but not in a tacky way.

A Joy wedding will be late spring before the season and designed so that she pops out a baby in Winter.  Thus enabling a full summer's work out of her (before she gets to pregnant) and some of the following summer (the baby will be a few months old, and so she'll have enough sleep to be expected to work again).

10 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I've said this before Jill & Jinger's weddings were both, nice in their own ways, they both reflected the brides & grooms styles very much. Jill & Derrick are very much hippies, Jinger and Jeremy are much more trendy and stylish.  I do believe if allowed to Jinger would have dressed very differently than she had growing up, Jessa as well, though she would be more flashy & trendy and Jinger more subtly  stylish. Jill well she'd still look the same, though she would probably have some jeans in her wardrobe as well.  I think the same would be true for Joy, though fewer skirts and more pants. The only other girl I can see having a wedding anything like Jinger's would be Jana, she also strikes me as a more classically elegant woman

Why do people keep sayning that? Long hair and a wavy skirts does not a hippie make!  

3 minutes ago, Iokaste said:

Why do people keep sayning that? Long hair and a wavy skirts does not a hippie make!  

I believe he has referred to her as a hippie many times. I don't think they really understand the concept but believe themselves to be hippies because they look crunchy and are into natural birth and what not. 

16 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

I believe he has referred to her as a hippie many times. I don't think they really understand the concept but believe themselves to be hippies because they look crunchy and are into natural birth and what not. 

heh...they are NOT hippies, trust me :P back then, they'd have been called jesus freaks...

11 hours ago, NCLunaLovegoodFan said:

It won't be as fancy as Jinger's. I have a hunch Joy-Anna's wedding will be simple and outdoors, taking place at Fort Rock (maybe during Spring/Summer). I say in the middle of the tacky-fancy spectrum. Then again, she's only 19 :/

I've seen a few people suggest this, but if any Duggar wedding happens outside of a church, I will eat my hat. Reception, maybe, but ceremony? Never. 

42 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

I've seen a few people suggest this, but if any Duggar wedding happens outside of a church, I will eat my hat. Reception, maybe, but ceremony? Never. 

Why not? They don't regularly attend church in a designated churchbuilding and an outdoor western themed-wedding, perhaps even old timey/Little House on the Praire'esque,  would be different enough that people might actually tune in to watch it? 

52 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

I bet Fort Rock has a chapel building

Not having the wedding at the camp would be a vasted oppertunity. If they do it well they can get bookings for other weddings. Free* one hour tv ad!

*Or at least cheaper then paying for the time ...

They've certainly indicated that they do "believe" in churches, whether it's a home church or chapel (both too small for their multitudes), and I just don't think for something as important as a wedding anything except an actual mighty fortress of a church would be considered holy or substantial enough.  I do also suspect the environment in which they were raised definitely instilled the dream of Big Church Wedding in their hearts. 

If you think about the sisters in terms of the age they were when the TLC money and TV exposure started rolling in, their weddings make sense. You also have to factor in the groom's and the girls' personalities.  Jill's wedding seems very Duggar-esque.  I think it would be the "standard Duggar" and it was very sibling inclusive and family oriented. I think Michelle and Jimboob drove a lot of choices. Did we see Jill? I don't think so.....Derrick let the Duggars decide everything because that's the traditional southern way, and his mom was seriously ill.

Jessa is the petulant princess- she got the princess dress and stupid rootbeer floats because it was all about her; and she thought she was being "different." That wedding was all about Jessa, Some of her choices seemed lazy. " Get me my poufy dress and icecream," "screw the bridesmaids dresses!" "Let Sierra figure everything out." Ben as an immature teenager had no input. We saw a peek at Jessa- it wasn't pretty, it was selfish. Both Jill and Jessa were frumperfied for longer than Jinger.  They've had less TV face time, and less options for exposure to the outside world.

Jinger got to wear more stylish clothes for a longer time. Jinger got to ride the wave of international and urban travel. Her worldview is bigger.  Her three older sisters had to parent more and longer. In earlier show she played the role of assistant to Jessa or Jill.  Jinger as a photographer, has a more artistic eye. She also had the benefit of seeing 4 weddings happen. She saw a modern approach to weddings with Cousin Amy, and a very traditional southern wedding with Anna.  Jinger's groom was also VERY sophisticated in comparison to Derrick and Ben.  I think all of these things drove Jinger's wedding. With each wedding we see more of the personality of the bride. Jill has fully embraced Duggar world. Jessa is Duggar with a side of Princess. With Jinger, the wedding was more collaborative with her groom. His personality with the groomsmen showed.  She also had Pinterest!  Specifically the color choices and cutesy  decorations and food seem very Jingery. I was happy to see some personality. 

One constant with all of the Duggar sister weddings was the weird newsboy suspender thing with menfolk and boys in the wedding. Jinger's groomsmen were by far the best dressed, but the usher brothers were still newsboys. I also noticed that Izzy wore something similar in Derrick's brother's wedding. It may be a fundie thing. I live in the South and have not seen that particular style in any recent weddings I've attended.

I hope the trend continues with Joy and hope that her wedding will reflect her and her groom.

( even though I think that she is waaaaaay too naive and young for marriage!)

10 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

If I were guessing, I would guess Joy would be married this spring, before camping season really gets going.

This would make the most sense but if it coincides with the business of her future in laws they might want it earlier. Money talks and even though they are somewhat fundie they are gonna want all those campers in their long skirts coming and paying to stay/camp and won't want anything affecting the profits they might reap.

2 hours ago, Iokaste said:

Why not? They don't regularly attend church in a designated churchbuilding and an outdoor western themed-wedding, perhaps even old timey/Little House on the Praire'esque,  would be different enough that people might actually tune in to watch it? 

But they do more often that not over the course of JB and M's married life.  When Josh was called before the church, they were attending a small IFB church near them.  Currently they are attending a different small IFB church.  The pastor has seven kids and the church has a website.  I can't remember the name at the moment.

The camp has a chapel but they'd be restricted to just a few families there.  I can see them borrowing the closest mega-Baptist church for the ceremony and holding the reception at the camp.

Fort Rock has "an old-fashioned chapel service on Sunday morning." From the pics in their gallery, the chapel does seem a bit small for a Duggar wedding, but it exists. It all depends on the length of the guest list, I suppose. Even if the wedding doesn't happen at Fort Rock, I bet the reception will. Should we start calling to inquire about availability in Spring? Any weekends with no vacancy are cause for suspicion! I checked the Camp Calendar for all of 2017 and there is literally nothing on it. Ah, I just noticed the registration page says that they haven't finalized plans for 2017.

Also, I think an outdoor wedding might be a possibility. If Jessa's blush wedding dress was ok and used to demonstrate that that every courtship and wedding are different, and totally not suffocated by JB&M, I can see the same ploy being used for an outdoor wedding, assuming the costs work out in Boob's favor. This way they can feign appreciation for the kidults individuality and pretend that they haven't spent a lifetime crushing it.

Pics: https://www.fortrock.org/gallery/

I am a part time wedding planner. The amount of times a bride has asked for something Pinterest and I've had to kindly explain that it's photo shop or completely unrealistic... If I had a dollar every time, I'd have a nice little bunch of cash!

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived