IGNORED

Anne of Green Gables

PennySycamore

I just saw an ad for the new Anne of Green Gables coming on PBS starting on Thanksgiving evening at 8 pm.  We'll be interested in seeing the how it compares to the Megan Followes version that aired in the mid-80s.  That's the one that my girls grew up with.  That one co-starrred Colleen Dewhurst and Richard Farnsworth as Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert with Jonathan Crombie as Gilbert.  I see that Martin Sheen is Matthew in this new version.  To me. Megan, Gilbert, Colleen and Richard will always be Anne, Gilbert, Marilla and Matthew.

ETA:  This is just a movie and not a mini-series.  I think I need to just get the DVDs of the Megan Followes version to show my grandkids.

I just set my DVR. I loved the 80s version, and it's going to be hard to beat. I do like that Martin Sheen will be playing Matthew Cuthbert. Also, there will be a new Anne miniseries coming to Netflix next year.

Source: http://www.countryliving.com/life/entertainment/a39589/anne-of-green-gables-series/

As much as I like Martin Sheen he will have to work very hard to improve on Richard Farnsworths'  portrayal of Matthew.

The Megan Followes one was the best. I loved it, as much as I loved the books. It's going to be super hard to beat that one. I'm not sure about Martin Sheen as Matthew either. Ugh

I just purchased a book that is the complete works of L.M. Montgomery on my Kindle. YAY!

God, I adored Richard Farnsworth's portrayal of Matthew. He was such a gentle, soothing character to watch. Colleen Dewhurst was absolutely amazing too.

I don't know how many times I've watched the miniseries as PBS broadcasts it almost every time they do their fundraising campaigns. I really think some shows should not be redone and this is one of them. No matter how good the new one is, nobody can replace Megan Follows' Anne-with-an-E-girl.

A highlight of my teenage years was going to PEI and visiting Cavendish. When the miniseries came out shortly thereafter, I could close my eyes and imagine Anne walking along the same coastline I did. Yes, I am just that lame.

20 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Colleen Dewhurst lived on PEI in the house where the playwright who wrote Johnny Belinda lived.

I didn't know that. The things one learns on FJ.....

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got to catch the re-boot last night at midnight on ETV World which is a secondary channel for SC ETV.  It wasn't terrible, but it did not have the charm of the Megan Followes' Anne  or even Anne Shirley's version from the early 30s.  (Dawn O'Day took her screen name after Anne because she loved the character so much.)  Marilla was too soft.  Colleen Dewhurst's Marilla had an edge to her and this one just didn't.  I don't even think Anne was quite right either.  Oh, and Martin Sheen seemed to have called Marilla "Marella" several times early on, but it is possible that I misheard.  With this interpretation, I'm glad they are not making an 18 episode mini-series and only two more TV movies.  

Okay full confession, I am Canadian and I've never read anything by L.M. Montgomery BUT on a whim yesterday after hearing about the new reboot  I downloaded the entire series of Anne of Green Gables, and so far(i'm only like 30 pages into the first one) I'm enjoying it. I don't think I would have appreciated it though when I was younger. 

I recently read that CBC is doing another Anne mini-series. It's supposed to include the regular stuff from the books but will also include a bunch of additional material that they've made up. Grrrr, I hate when people mess with a classic.

I was wanting to watch this new version but completely forgot. I wonder if I can find it online or something. Even if it isn't great I'd still like to see it.

I remember renting the 80's movies a million times on VHS before my mom finally bought them for me.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:02 PM, Playagirl said:

God, I adored Richard Farnsworth's portrayal of Matthew. He was such a gentle, soothing character to watch. Colleen Dewhurst was absolutely amazing too.

I don't know how many times I've watched the miniseries as PBS broadcasts it almost every time they do their fundraising campaigns. I really think some shows should not be redone and this is one of them. No matter how good the new one is, nobody can replace Megan Follows' Anne-with-an-E-girl.

A highlight of my teenage years was going to PEI and visiting Cavendish. When the miniseries came out shortly thereafter, I could close my eyes and imagine Anne walking along the same coastline I did. Yes, I am just that lame.

No, you are just that cool. So there.  ;) 

On 12/8/2016 at 4:52 PM, Playagirl said:

I recently read that CBC is doing another Anne mini-series. It's supposed to include the regular stuff from the books but will also include a bunch of additional material that they've made up. Grrrr, I hate when people mess with a classic.

That's silly if they're making up additional material. As I remember, the books cover Anne's life from childhood to middle age... surely that would provide enough plot? :my_huh:

I'm guessing it's some attempt to make the story more "relevant" which will probably not actually help out.

Or it could be material from the books that wasn't included in other series.

OH, I love Anne.  My kids have read them, I've read them aloud to them, I've read 3 sets of the books to tatters.  We are on set number 4 and I'm reading aloud "Anne of the Island" to my 11 year old son.  I do voices and read with expression and he loves that.

And yes, *no one* will beat the Megan Followes version of Anne.  That movie was casted perfectly.  I will never read the books without 'seeing' them in my mind as those characters.  They are perfect. We also have the dramatized audio version from Focus on the Family Theatre  and listen to it frequently.  It's very well done.  Characters almost sound the same as the movie.

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 11:41 PM, December said:

That's silly if they're making up additional material. As I remember, the books cover Anne's life from childhood to middle age... surely that would provide enough plot? :my_huh:

I'm guessing it's some attempt to make the story more "relevant" which will probably not actually help out.

Apparently it'll include random stuff that a girl of that day and age with Anne's personality could conceivably be expected do in her day-to-day life, or some such clap-trap garbage. I think they want to do a remake because the original was so good, but they know people will pretty-much crucify anything that's a direct comparison, hence the extra added material to make it seem different. I'm kind of looking forward to it for the snark value, if for nothing else.

I'm glad that I saw that there were some new posts in this thread.  It reminded me of something that I thought a couple of weeks ago.  My oldest granddaughter is the right age to introduce to Anne so she's getting the DVDs of the Megan Followes version for Christmas.

21 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I'm glad that I saw that there were some new posts in this thread.  It reminded me of something that I thought a couple of weeks ago.  My oldest granddaughter is the right age to introduce to Anne so she's getting the DVDs of the Megan Followes version for Christmas.

Best. Christmas. Present. EVER!!!!!! Please let us know how she likes them.

38 minutes ago, Playagirl said:

Best. Christmas. Present. EVER!!!!!! Please let us know how she likes them.

@Playagirl,  I definitely will let you all know!

• 1 month later...

@Playagirl, it just occurred to me that I'd never fulfilled my promise to tell you all about how Addie liked her Christmas present.  She'd already started reading the book and she loved getting the DVD!

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 9:27 PM, PennySycamore said:

@Playagirl, it just occurred to me that I'd never fulfilled my promise to tell you all about how Addie liked her Christmas present.  She'd already started reading the book and she loved getting the DVD!

Glad to hear it. Kids these days are exposed to so much so early; we need to make a concerted effort to make sure they're exposed to gentle classics like Anne too to counterbalance things.

A couple of years ago my son-in-law bought my daughter the DVD set for Christmas too. She's always been a fan and watches it over and over again.

• 2 months later...

Anyone catch Anne With An E on Netflix? I'm on episode three so far. It's been forever since I read the book, and I've only ever seen the cartoon, but so far I've got to say, this girl's good. She's able to act Anne-ish without it being too grating or insincere, or over the top, IMHO.

@EowynW great article! I agree with a lot of it despite never seeing the Megan Follows version (I'll have to give it a try), I think this series is great in its own way. I just finished it and my biggest complaint is only 7 episodes.

Archived