Lady Lydia designing clothes for Trumps

Black Aliss

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2017 at 4:14 AM, formergothardite said:

I just don't see Melania wearing this:

ladylydia.jpg

Not even Lucy Hayes would have worn that sack. 

ladylydia1.jpg

What is her obsession with dressing Melania? Does she really not know how the woman typically dresses? 

God, that is AWFUL! I have seen better 8th grade Pioneer Day dresses. Lydia is delusional if she thinks Melanie would even consider it for a second. 

On 1/23/2017 at 3:27 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Not terribly important tangent: I finally figured out why "Lady Lydia" sounded familiar; the song "Lydia the Tattooed Lady":

Reveal hidden contents

Back to your regularly scheduled snarking. :wink-kitty:

It took me a while to find it, but in this thread, on the old yuku forum, is BarrenDame's lovely tribute to Lady Lydia:

Lydia the Fundie Lady

My life was wrapped around the Fundie Blogs

Her name was Lydia.

I met her online, Ladies Against Feminism

My heart fell apart reading, a schism.

Ah, Lydia.

She was the most glorious creature

Under the su-un.

Mary, Ruth and Hannah

Rolled into one.

Oooooooh
Lydia oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia,

Lydia, the Titus 2 Lady
She has eyes that folks adore so,

And decorated house even more so.
Lydia oh Lydia, that writer of blogs

Oh Lydia the Queen of the fundies

If you leave a nasty comment 

You will wad up her modest undies

And she'll proudly teach you that you are bent.

You can learn a lot from Lydia.
La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la

Her clothes are Modest,
she laces up her bodice,

Your clothes are of a hussy,
you defraud and make men stare--

For a click you can be told you are unworthy

From her house feminine and fair.

La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la

Oh Lydia oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia,

Oh Lydia the Perfect Fundie Lady

Baked Goods and Floral Patterns, Doilies and Lace

The Lord's Light shines on her Perfect Face.

{whistles}La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la

Come along and see her House of Pink
Not a dish to be seen in her shining sink
She's the happiest, best helpmeet
Learn from her, sit rapt at her feet.
La la la, la la la, la la la, la la la!

Oh Lydia, oh Lydia that homemaking encyclopedia,

Oh Lydia the fundie champ of them all.

She once swept a Heathen clear off his feet.

The psalms on her lips made his heart skip a beat.

And now the old boy's got a wife who keeps sweet
For he went and married a lady like Lydia.

I said Lydia

{He said Lydia}

They said Lydia

{We said Lydia}

La La!

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest,  I could be wrong but I think @Georgiana was talking about Melania Trump spending 2 hours getting ready.

Yes, exactly.  People were criticizing Melania for wanting a glam room, saying they side eye women who do not conform to their standards of getting ready, suggesting they might be ugly or vain if they spend 2 hours on themselves, etc. But honestly, what's wrong with that? If she has the time and wants to spend it that way, why not? Whats the difference between doing that and spending time in the garden? Or watching a movie? 

2 hours is what I budget for getting ready to go out when I can. Like I said, I enjoy the process and like to be able to take my time. I enjoy researching trends in cosmetics, recreating looks, trying new things/techniques, styling my hair, etc. It's very much a hobby for me, and I don't see why spending my time that way is somehow less than someone who spends it watching movies/tv (which I am not overly fond of), brewing beer, or any number of other hobbies.

Now, if you're pulling a Jill Rodrigues spending hours on your make up and hair while your kids are left to their own devices, that's an issue. But provided her time is responsibly managed, a woman should be able to spend her time how she pleases and with whatever hobbies/interests appeal to her without fear of judgement. 

A woman should feel free to spend exactly as much or as little time getting ready as she pleases.  It's no more fair to side eye someone for spending "too much" time on their looks than it is to side eye them for not "spending enough". BOTH are rooted in the concept that a woman's grooming is somehow public domain and open to comment, censure, and judgement. It's not anymore than any other thing she might choose to spend her time doing. 

Heck, I'd even support Lydia's truck makeovers if she didn't insist that this was the absolute best way to spend time and how everyone should do it and if you don't, you're terrible.  Then I'm going to start to question you.  But if there's someone out there who just likes to quietly hang curtains in trucks for fun, hey, you do you. 

15 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Palimpsest,  I could be wrong but I think @Georgiana was talking about Melania Trump spending 2 hours getting ready.

Yes, I see that now.  I was SEVERELY shocked at the thought of anyone defending Lydia.

@Georgiana, I misread.:text-imsorry:

On 1/11/2017 at 2:42 PM, Black Aliss said:

I so want to send Lydia a picture of Melania in her best "paper doll ready to be dressed" photo for her to work her design magic on. I see she has to go back to the Kennedy era to find sufficiently modest attire on a FLOTUS. No mention, of course, of the elegance and femininity displayed by our current FLOTUS.

It's been less than a week and I already miss Michelle. Woman is CLASSY!

On 1/14/2017 at 1:39 PM, Hane said:

I read that Melania is going to have a special makeup room with customized lighting in the White House. Because priorities.

Eh, I would have my own "dressing room" with great lighting and mirrors if I could. Getting ready takes me 30 min in the morning MAX but it would be so nice to have a separate space to do it away from my bed etc. Plus I bet the Donald wouldn't go in there and bother her. Gotta have some way to get away from Groppy McTinyDick.

11 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Yes, exactly.  People were criticizing Melania for wanting a glam room, saying they side eye women who do not conform to their standards of getting ready, suggesting they might be ugly or vain if they spend 2 hours on themselves, etc. But honestly, what's wrong with that? If she has the time and wants to spend it that way, why not? Whats the difference between doing that and spending time in the garden? Or watching a movie? 

2 hours is what I budget for getting ready to go out when I can. Like I said, I enjoy the process and like to be able to take my time. I enjoy researching trends in cosmetics, recreating looks, trying new things/techniques, styling my hair, etc. It's very much a hobby for me, and I don't see why spending my time that way is somehow less than someone who spends it watching movies/tv (which I am not overly fond of), brewing beer, or any number of other hobbies.

Now, if you're pulling a Jill Rodrigues spending hours on your make up and hair while your kids are left to their own devices, that's an issue. But provided her time is responsibly managed, a woman should be able to spend her time how she pleases and with whatever hobbies/interests appeal to her without fear of judgement. 

A woman should feel free to spend exactly as much or as little time getting ready as she pleases.  It's no more fair to side eye someone for spending "too much" time on their looks than it is to side eye them for not "spending enough". BOTH are rooted in the concept that a woman's grooming is somehow public domain and open to comment, censure, and judgement. It's not anymore than any other thing she might choose to spend her time doing. 

Heck, I'd even support Lydia's truck makeovers if she didn't insist that this was the absolute best way to spend time and how everyone should do it and if you don't, you're terrible.  Then I'm going to start to question you.  But if there's someone out there who just likes to quietly hang curtains in trucks for fun, hey, you do you. 

Sing it sister! I like to listen to an audio book/the news while I get ready in the morning. Plus you have to let your sun screen/moisturiser "set in" before you can do anything with it. My hair is very curly which takes a while. I'll read a bit while things are drying or setting. It ends up taking time because I am trying to learn how to take pride in my appearance. I am working to go into a field where how a woman presents herself matters and my mom (who I love with all my heart and taught me many important lessons like how it is ok to be smart and that women belong in the science lab or the home as a SAHM or anything else she chooses. My mom is a super feminist and I need to call her) did not teach me how to dress myself or put on makeup or deal with my hair. It takes time and I am learning. 

I use to snark on people who took forever getting ready, especially because I went to an all girls school and thought the only reason to wear makeup is to impress men. I realize now how misguided I was. I wear makeup to impress ME and because taking a moment out of a busy day to care for myself relaxes me. My SO doesn't care if I wear makeup, he thinks I'm gorgeous dead asleep and drooling. 

Anyway rant over. 

Some of us are super feminists who also take a bit of time getting ready.

I didn't mean to imply they were mutually exclusive, sorry it has been a loooong week!

On 1/11/2017 at 7:14 AM, formergothardite said:

ladylydia.jpg

Not even Lucy Hayes would have worn that sack.

This is the thing that made me go full WTF at LL. She thinks that spangled nightgown looks like Lucy Hayes' Victorian-era inauguration gown, when there is absolutely nothing in common with it except a vague similarity in color.

I had a friend comment that LL's pink design for Melania looks a lot like an abaya that a muslim woman would wear, and I have to agree. The yellow design looks like she's been watching the Beauty and the Beast trailer too much.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, formergothardite said:

Exactly. She could have dressed in one of those crazy dresses the Bates used to wear and they still wouldn't have approved. 

According to her latest video she wants to host classes where people come and stay with her to see how she lives. You even get to attend church with her

That sounds like the Scared Straight program from hell.

Judge: So Mary, what have you decided? Do you want to go to Juvenile Hall for 90 days, or 30 days with Lady Lydia?

Mary: Juvenile Hall! I've heard stories about the ocean of pink, the sewing, the tea parties with imaginary people, the decorating of everything and everyone within a five mile radius, and the never ending pearl-clutching over the Godless feminists! I promise if you to send me to Juvenile Hall, I'll stay out of trouble. You'll never see me in your courtroom again!

Judge: Okay, Mary. But if I do ever see you in my courtroom again, it's six months with Lady Lydia.

Mary: I understand. I won't let you down Judge Brown, I promise!

That sounds like the Scared Straight program from hell.
Judge: So Mary, what have you decided? Do you want to go to Juvenile Hall for 90 days, or 30 days with Lady Lydia?
Mary: Juvenile Hall! I've heard stories about the ocean of pink, the sewing, the tea parties with imaginary people, the decorating of everything and everyone within a five mile radius, and the never ending pearl-clutching over the Godless feminists! I promise if you to send me to Juvenile Hall, I'll stay out of trouble. You'll never see me in your courtroom again!
Judge: Okay, Mary. But if I do ever see you in my courtroom again, it's six months with Lady Lydia.
Mary: I understand. I won't let you down Judge Brown, I promise!

I'd definitely pick Juvie over a sentence with LL.

I should sign up, and show up wearing all black and goth makeup (I already have short, edgy hair). She probably wouldn't answer the door for me!

2 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

I'd definitely pick Juvie over a sentence with LL.

I should sign up, and show up wearing all black and goth makeup (I already have short, edgy hair). She probably wouldn't answer the door for me!

I'm imagining you scowling at Lady Lydia while she hands over a ruffled pink dress, a long blonde curly wig, and a matching hair bow. She's also asking why the jacket you are wearing says you are gay, but that Jesus set you free. :pb_lol:

Jumping back to the King Henry discussion - does anybody else follow Henry Tudor on Twitter? It's HYSTERICAL. Ever since Trump got elected, he's been making wonderful commentary about ginger tyrants. I'm sure codpieces are in there somewhere!

henry.png

32 minutes ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

Jumping back to the King Henry discussion - does anybody else follow Henry Tudor on Twitter? It's HYSTERICAL. Ever since Trump got elected, he's been making wonderful commentary about ginger tyrants. I'm sure codpieces are in there somewhere!

henry.png

no...I need to dust of my twitter acct and do so.

The whole Tudor era is fascinating to me and I love parody accts

In defense of Henry Tudor, he may have been a terrible husband but he was VERY well educated and super smart! Something I can't say for our Commander in Cheeto

We have a Tudor discussion?!? Where is it please? My favorite subject-DD and I will probably binge watch the Tudors, Anne of a Thousand Days, Mary Queen of Scots(Vanessa Redgrave), and the Elizabeth movies this weekend as our teams aren't in the Superbowl. 

We have a Tudor discussion?!? Where is it please? My favorite subject-DD and I will probably binge watch the Tudors, Anne of a Thousand Days, Mary Queen of Scots(Vanessa Redgrave), and the Elizabeth movies this weekend as our teams aren't in the Superbowl. 

This is our Tudor discussion!!!!! I loooooove that era also

15 hours ago, freedom_for_all said:

In defense of Henry Tudor, he may have been a terrible husband but he was VERY well educated and super smart! Something I can't say for our Commander in Cheeto

Henry was a good husband providing his wives were doing what he wanted. As soon as they didn't give him a son, cheated or he just plain didn't like them , then they were out.

Anne of Cleves did very well out of Henry's generousness simply by knowing when to call it a day.

5 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Henry was a good husband providing his wives were doing what he wanted. As soon as they didn't give him a son, cheated or he just plain didn't like them , then they were out.

Anne of Cleves did very well out of Henry's generousness simply by knowing when to call it a day.

Anne of Cleves is my favourite of Henry's six wives. She got to keep her head,  AND she got a couple of lovely residences, a substantial allowance, and lots of jewels and plate to help keep her in a manner befitting a queen, without having to actually perform the duties of a queen (if he didn't like the looks of her, can you imagine what she must have thought of HIM when they first met? He wasn't exactly a looker either, by that point! LOL). She also got Hever Castle, which is a gem of a building. Yeah, all in all, she did very well indeed. :pb_razz:

I am so happy with the direction this discussion has taken! I am OBSESSED with the Tudors and that whole era. I have watched everything I can get my hands on. I think I've seen The Tudors all the way through three times. Also Elizabeth R, The Other Boleyn Girl (both versions!), The White Queen, both The Borgias and Borgia, etc. Plus I love historical romances and my favorite author set most of her books in England during the Renaissance.

I feel so bad for Anne Boleyn. It really seemed like she did love Henry and she was there during his transition from the golden prince to the mad dictator.

Anne Boleyn is favorite, followed by Katherine Parr. I feel sorry for Kitty Howard-she was a child married to fat, disgusting old man, of course she wanted to young hot guy! Katherine Parr should have stayed away from Tom Seymour. He was much more interested in power and position than love.

Archived