IGNORED

What Now?

Destiny

Hopefully most of us are getting past the mourning stage (though I admit to crying again when I saw a picture of The Orange Dick in the Oval Office), and moving into anger. I know I am, so the question is, "What now?" I feel like all sane people need to DO something, because if we don't, clearly the bigots will.

Ideas? I've already sent a message to my new Senator encouraging her to be a roadblock to evil things that he might do (by the way /profile/18856-velocirapture/" rel="">@VelociRapture I used your template as a start. You rule :my_heart: )

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Wrote to the DNC, and sending multiple letters (electronic and hard copy) because the party got stagnant after they elected Obama and real change needs to happen as soon as possible.

- Already signed up to volunteer with my chapter of PP, NARAL-- pro choice, Boys and Girls Club, Campaign Zero, Council of American-Muslim Relations and still trying to find an Org for immigrants. (Link here for a list: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/if-youre-overwhelmed-by-the-election-heres-what-you-can-do-now_us_5822c7d0e4b0e80b02cdf133?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004)

--While I start brainstorming for my grad school applications I will also add to send a letter to send to my senator (still hurts because my state of PA could have been another state to have their first female senator). The one currently has done well about responding to his constituents so I won't be surprised with him again.

-Be there for my fellow citizens, talking to friends and acquaintances who are distraught, providing them with support however necessary.

--Being more assertive if I see anything racist, xenophobic, sexist, etc. Especially with seeing things already happening two days after he won the nomination.

Contacting our representatives on a regular basis is a way to start. We need to figure out exactly what caused all these people to vote for a guy like Trump. They aren't all KKK loving racists. I think some of it is being fed up with normal politicians and thinking Trump can shake things up in a good way. 

Some of it came from people who are ill informed "pro-life" folks. I think it was @Snarkylark who said many of the people she know voted for Trump because they are die-hard "pro-life". Well they are also ignorant pro-life people who have gotten sucked into the pro-life political movement that has no desire to lower abortion rates. How do we educate them? @Snarkylark, any suggestions? 

and some of it is just racism and sexism. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

And that's what scares me, and it's a problem that is at the root of everything IMHO, without any easy answers.

How do you solve hate? FJ changed my life and challenged me to be a better person, and confront my own racism, homophobia, and misogyny (one day I will learn to spell that word. Today is not that day). A certain person FJ's story made me do a complete turn on my views on abortion. I guess the question is how do we challenge these views in a meaningful way, given that many people are just not going to listen to a 'commie liberal'?

9 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

- Already signed up to volunteer with my chapter of PP, NARAL-- pro choice, Boys and Girls Club, Campaign Zero, Council of American-Muslim Relations and still trying to find an Org for immigrants. (Link here for a list: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/if-youre-overwhelmed-by-the-election-heres-what-you-can-do-now_us_5822c7d0e4b0e80b02cdf133?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004)

This is fantastic. Personally, I don't have time for another volunteer gig - I do public safety volunteer work that is 20 - 30 hours a week already, but I feel like this is a meaningful way to make a difference, and hopefully maybe we can win the next generation?

I agree! I've only was able to sacrifice a few times a month but I do think it's a start! It also makes me realize that I should have signed up and done all of this a lot sooner too

2 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

I agree! I've only was able to sacrifice a few times a month but I do think it's a start! It also makes me realize that I should have signed up and done all of this a lot sooner too

I've considered it many times, but PP in my area doesn't have any openings and rarely does, and I don't feel like I could give another volunteer gig the time and attention that they deserve, but I'm so fucking proud of you. YOU ROCK MADAM. Volunteers change the world. <3

Good suggestions, all, and another shout-out to Veloci-Rapture's fine post. 

Because I'm old and cranky, and have had a few too many bad volunteering experiences, I'm going to donate money instead.

We already give annually to Planned Parenthood but a couple of the other organizations I'm going to try to fit into the budget are the American Civil Liberties Union and the Southern Poverty Law Center.

We're going to need both of them and their good work more than ever now.

ETA: Not included under the volunteering label is participation in marches & demonstrations. There is a Trump hotel where I live and I expect I'll be down there to demonstrate, sooner rather later.

Campaign on the local level for change and protections. One of the things we can use to our advantage is that Republicans want to leave certian issues "to the states." So make sure your voice is heard on teh state level. 

One item on my agenda is to hold the media accountable on covering Trump critically.  The right wing shamed them into feeling they had to prove they don't have a left wing bias so they reported every single email like emailing itself were a felony.  In the meantime the suit over the rape went ignored.  The Trump University fraud suit is coming up and it better be on TV every night.

1 minute ago, mamallama said:

One item on my agenda is to hold the media accountable on covering Trump critically.  

A big YES. I am really bitter about the NYT and NPR, two news organizations from which I expected real reporting. It didn't happen until way too late. Instead, both of them were slavishly devoting themselves to the false equivalency narratives all the way along. Unfortunately, IMO, none of the media will do anything until Trump threatens or jails a few reporters. Maybe they'll finally get it then but I'm not holding my breath.

One item on my agenda is to hold the media accountable on covering Trump critically.  The right wing shamed them into feeling they had to prove they don't have a left wing bias so they reported every single email like emailing itself were a felony.  In the meantime the suit over the rape went ignored.  The Trump University fraud suit is coming up and it better be on TV every night.

This is a great point and one I wholeheartedly cosign. I'm not really sure how to accomplish it though. Support smaller news organisations that run a better gambit of views? I don't disagree even a little but I don't know how we could encourage change. I'm not sure that CNN would care about letters to the editor and the like. What are you planning?
Campaign on the local level for change and protections. One of the things we can use to our advantage is that Republicans want to leave certian issues "to the states." So make sure your voice is heard on teh state level. 

This. I didn't even think of this because I come from such a liberal state, but there's so much truth here, even down to making sure to vote in local and state elections.

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

A certain person FJ's story made me do a complete turn on my views on abortion. I guess the question is how do we challenge these views in a meaningful way, given that many people are just not going to listen to a 'commie liberal'?

I am not really sure. I think a lot of the pro-life stuff comes from the fact that people really don't have any clue what an abortion is like. I thought for years and years that most abortions were doctors inducing labor, delivering the baby most of the way, stabbing it in the head with scissors and then sucking out the brain with a machine. That was what I was told was happening and I was horrified! Lots of people still believe that and as long as they believe that they will never budge on making the election all about who is "pro-life". 

I personally think that the next democratic nominee needs to focus on not just saying they support choice, but also speak about how they will pass laws that will help lower the abortion rate. Then point out that the Republican aren't doing anything to lower abortion rates. The tables need to be turned on the GOP and they need to be forced to talk about abortion in a realistic way and not in just the "save the babeees" way they usually go with. 

46 minutes ago, Destiny said:

This is a great point and one I wholeheartedly cosign. I'm not really sure how to accomplish it though. Support smaller news organisations that run a better gambit of views? I don't disagree even a little but I don't know how we could encourage change. I'm not sure that CNN would care about letters to the editor and the like. What are you planning?
This. I didn't even think of this because I come from such a liberal state, but there's so much truth here, even down to making sure to vote in local and state elections.

I don't really have a plan but I figure I've been sitting here not sending emails because I don't think they'll have an impact and there are probably 10,000 other out there thinking the same thing.  Maybe I'll post on Pantsuit Nation.  BTW good point about patronizing the outlets who do.  I guess contacting sponsors like we did for the Duggars could help.

I am trying to figure out how to get into Pantsuit Nation. I want in dammit!

Topic: re:@terrie mentioning it starts with the states and local stuff. Midterms are in two years. Time to start laying the groundwork for booting some of the anti-everything good people out and getting some people in there who care about everyone, not just white Christians with a penis. That starts now. We have time. We have the majority. We just need to make it happen.

I am struggling a lot with this because I am surrounded by fundie-lite people.

Many of whom voted strictly based on the evils of abortion and Obamacare. They are totally drunk on the Fox News/brietbart kool-aid. I don't think they hate (heck, half of them are Mexicans whose parents came over... but their kool-aid doesn't let them process the orange ones dangers to them!)?

How about contacting members of the House Judiciary Committee asking them to investigate the FBI and their blatant attempts to turn the election to Trump?

Besides the emails that just happened to come to their attention 11 days before the election, they tweeted info. about the long closed Mark Rich case on a twitter account that hadn't been used in a year, and the Clinton Foundation investigation, going on for a year, suddenly took high priority 5 days before the election.

I don't recall a govm't agency ever doing anything like this in any prior election.  It's pretty scary.

I'm moving to Canada.  Truthfully, I've been contemplating a move out of the U.S. for a while.  Progress is just not happening fast enough here.  At this rate, I'll be dead before anything meaningful is passed.  I'm tired of waiting and I'd like to enjoy good vacation laws, universal healthcare, decent medical leave laws, and good quality public education for my children while I'm still kicking.  The only way for that to happen is to leave.  My husband gets his degree next June.  After that both he and I will start the process of looking outside the U.S. for employment.

I was just contacted by my local chapter of CAIR for a possible job (I applied a couple of weeks ago). I'll take it in a heartbeat if offered.

As a Muslim, I can't even describe the shock, dismay, and helplessness I felt election night. I cried for a good straight 3 hours. 

I'm honestly at the point where I hope this backfires on the very people who voted him in. They think he'll help the poor and working class. Yeah, right. 

I was just contacted by my local chapter of CAIR for a possible job (I applied a couple of weeks ago). I'll take it in a heartbeat if offered.
As a Muslim, I can't even describe the shock, dismay, and helplessness I felt election night. I cried for a good straight 3 hours. 
I'm honestly at the point where I hope this backfires on the very people who voted him in. They think he'll help the poor and working class. Yeah, right. 

I remembered your post in the Orlando (I think) thread, and thought of you on election night. You and your family were one of the reasons that I feel like I didn't do enough to stop this. I'm so sorry.

I hope you get the job and fucking ROCK at it. :my_heart:

8 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

Oh, it will backfire on them.  He can't do most of what he promised without passing laws that strip rights (and it's only a matter of time before he gets around to stripping their rights) or raising taxes.  He can't bring jobs back, he can't build a stupid wall, he can't hunt down and deport 12 million people, and he can't ban a religion.  And when they ask him why he hasn't done anything he promised, all he's going to do is say he never made those promises (video be damned) and I'll laugh and laugh and laugh.

3 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

- Wrote to the DNC, and sending multiple letters (electronic and hard copy) because the party got stagnant after they elected Obama and real change needs to happen as soon as possible.

--While I start brainstorming for my grad school applications I will also add to send a letter to send to my senator (still hurts because my state of PA could have been another state to have their first female senator). The one currently has done well about responding to his constituents so I won't be surprised with him again.

-Be there for my fellow citizens, talking to friends and acquaintances who are distraught, providing them with support however necessary.

--Being more assertive if I see anything racist, xenophobic, sexist, etc. Especially with seeing things already happening two days after he won the nomination.

Michael Moore has posted action plans. Day 1 was on his Twitter feed. Day 2 was on Facebook, there is a link on the same Twitter feed.

One of the non-action things he posted was this:

The media is quickly trying to hit reset &amp; start their new (equally false) narrative: "The CHANGE election" & "Trump as Healer" Ignore them

Amen.

When will this crazyness stop? Today a student handed out letters of deportation, made on his computer, to some Latino students at our local highschool.

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Contacting our representatives on a regular basis is a way to start. We need to figure out exactly what caused all these people to vote for a guy like Trump. They aren't all KKK loving racists. I think some of it is being fed up with normal politicians and thinking Trump can shake things up in a good way. 

Some of it came from people who are ill informed "pro-life" folks. I think it was @Snarkylark who said many of the people she know voted for Trump because they are die-hard "pro-life". Well they are also ignorant pro-life people who have gotten sucked into the pro-life political movement that has no desire to lower abortion rates. How do we educate them? @Snarkylark, any suggestions? 

I think a lot of Democrats hated Hillary. A lot stayed home. The DNC needs a strong candidatebecause I could see Trump winning twice. 

m

9 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

When will this crazyness stop? Today a student handed out letters of deportation, made on his computer, to some Latino students at our local highschool.

My daughter said a white man told her to go sit in the back of the bus because Trump is president. 

Archived