IGNORED

Obamacare Question

Ali

I love your letter Velicoraptue!

Yeah the Republicans needed to shit all over Obamacare lest he leave a legacy.  Most of the things they scream about were done for the insurance lobby.  Now it's their problem.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mamallama said:

I love your letter Velicoraptue!

Yeah the Republicans needed to shit all over Obamacare lest he leave a legacy.  Most of the things they scream about were done for the insurance lobby.  Now it's their problem.

Not to mention that the whole damn thing was their idea.  This is what they came up with in the 90s when Clinton wanted universal healthcare.  They're literally shitting all over their own idea.

Obamacare has been a huge burden for our family.  Our insurance premiums are more than our mortgage.  Really.  My 2 boys each have chronic conditions and are on 3 medications total (not each).  We have to meet a high deductible per person before our insurance will cover anything (besides check ups, when we aren't sick and don't need to go to the doctor), including prescriptions,   These 3 medicines cost us more out of pocket each month than our premiums!  Meanwhile, we still have bills to pay and groceries to buy.  The kids grow and need clothes.  

I do understand that a lot of people have benefitted from Obamacare, but I personally hate it.  It has sucked up any extra income we had to do, well extra things.  

51 minutes ago, Elvis Presby said:

Obamacare has been a huge burden for our family.  Our insurance premiums are more than our mortgage.  Really.  My 2 boys each have chronic conditions and are on 3 medications total (not each).  We have to meet a high deductible per person before our insurance will cover anything (besides check ups, when we aren't sick and don't need to go to the doctor), including prescriptions,   These 3 medicines cost us more out of pocket each month than our premiums!  Meanwhile, we still have bills to pay and groceries to buy.  The kids grow and need clothes.  

I do understand that a lot of people have benefitted from Obamacare, but I personally hate it.  It has sucked up any extra income we had to do, well extra things.  

I hate to tell you, but your life is going to get worse.  There's no way the Republicans can keep the pre-existing laws and get rid of the individual mandates without increasing premiums.  What will happen is that premiums will continue to get higher and higher until you're forced to drop your policy.  That's how they'll force sick people off their roles without violating the law.  Either that or they'll just scrap the entire ACA and go back to life time limits and banning pre-existing conditions and your boys will be dropped. 

It sounds like it will just be converted to a health savings account. That's basically saying you pay for your own care with money that's not taxed.  Maybe you can buy into an exchange of you qualify and can afford it. 

22 hours ago, molecule said:

A friend just sent me a link about what the Republicans want to do with the Affordable Care Act: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-healthcare-ryan-idUSKCN0Z80AQ.

It looks like the Republicans are aware of the aspects of the plan that people like:

That doesn't set my mind completely at ease, but it does help me a little.

I think they'll pay a little lip service, but the insurance companies/lobby are firmly in control. As someone with multiple health issues, I'm terrified we'll go back to the insurance companies being able to drop us for pre-existing conditions, charging women (or older people) more, and having a million dollar lifetime maximum. Many people don't realize that a million dollars is nothing if you have a chronic illness or a couple of rounds of cancer.

1 hour ago, Elvis Presby said:

I'm sorry to read about your premiums and deductibles. We have George W. Bush to thank for the high deductible plans. They suck. That's all my company offers too. I have the lowest deductible plan (with the highest premium) and I still have to meet a $2500 deductible before they pay a penny. Unfortunately, it's going to get way worse. I read (sorry, I can't remember the source) that Agent Orange wants to push more high deductible plans.

I just saw a republican on the news saying on Obamacare-of course, we'll repeal it first then roll out our plan in a year or two.  Just great!  I need to keep a clip of that tape where Trump says we'll have soooo many wonderful plans to choose from.   

On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 at 7:49 PM, molecule said:

A friend just sent me a link about what the Republicans want to do with the Affordable Care Act: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-healthcare-ryan-idUSKCN0Z80AQ.

It looks like the Republicans are aware of the aspects of the plan that people like:

That doesn't set my mind completely at ease, but it does help me a little.

One thing I forgot to write earlier is please don't believe anything Paul Ryan says or writes. He's a spineless weasel who will flip-flop at a moment's notice. If he told me Thursday followed Wednesday, I'd be suspicious and verify it independently. He's been salivating to kill anything good that Obama tried to do, and will make sure we the people pay dearly. I'm sorry, I know I'm bitter, but I am truly concerned about healthcare, along with so many of us.

15 hours ago, Childless said:

How are they going to do that?  Eliminating the ability of insurance companies to exclude pre-existing conditions means they have to cover unhealthy people.  The point of the individual mandate was to offset that risk with healthy individuals who would pay in, but not use it as much.  How are they going to offset the costs now?  Oh, yeah.  That's right.  Higher premiums.  Seriously, are the Republicans really that stupid?  Can they not do simple math?

They only care about their handlers and the insurance companies are one of their handlers.  They could care less about us.  And I think it will backfire on their sorry asses.  I think this whole election cycle is going to backfire on them.  I can make it to 2018!

24 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

One thing I forgot to write earlier is please don't believe anything Paul Ryan says or writes. He's a spineless weasel who will flip-flop at a moment's notice. If he told me Thursday followed Wednesday, I'd be suspicious and verify it independently. He's been salivating to kill anything good that Obama tried to do, and will make sure we the people pay dearly. I'm sorry, I know I'm bitter, but I am truly concerned about healthcare, along with so many of us.

I am concerned, too, and I can't say that I believe it, either. (I live just a few miles from Paul Ryan's district, and I agree with you on this.) Health care is a huge concern for me. In addition to my kids, my husband has a couple medical conditions that would likely have him denied coverage. If he stays with his current company, he would probably be fine--but he is looking for a new job, and the timing has me nervous. I'm kind of desperately hoping that the lip service here reflects some genuine intention.

29 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Trey Gowdy is the same.  You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth (except his promise to obstruct Obama, which is the platform he originally ran on).  And you can ask my husband, I typically refer to Gowdy as "that slimy weasel"  He even looks like a weasel.  I know that I have a snowballs chance in Ecuador of Gowdy being voted out in 2018 but maybe in other parts of the state, they can get rid of the rethugs.  And though we are stuck with Tim Scott until 2022, Lindsey Graham is coming up for reelection in 2020.

I have already entered into an agreement to purchase employer-provided health insurance coverage for 2017.

Nothing Trump can do can nullify or raise the price of coverage I've already signed a contract for once he takes office in January, correct? I'm really worried about all this for the country as a whole, but if I have at least till 2018 to make sure all my ducks are in a row it'll be a lot easier from a personal standpoint.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/donald-trump-republicans-obamacare/index.html

So it may be listed as a "100 days" priority, but it's complicated and likely to take several months. Even if they can get Democratic support, passing a replacement bill could take up two years, aides say.

Read More

That's because the GOP doesn't have the 60-seat supermajority in the Senate needed to overcome a filibuster that Democrats plan to launch against the repeal effort. In January, when the new Congress starts, Republicans may hold as many as 52 seats.

I feel a tiny bit better.

43 minutes ago, Penny said:

Saw this on another site, not sure if we need to panic or not.  http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/and-here-we-go--9

Paul Ryan just announced that as part of repealing Obamacare he plans to phase out Medicare and replace it with private insurance.

I suspect this will freak a lot of people out. The republicans might be hammering the nails in their own coffins if they start doing stuff like this. 

If it wouldn't ruin the country when it happens, I'd turn a blind eye to the whole thing.  They made their bed by be racists, misogynistic idiots.  Lay in it.  But unfortunately, the rest of us get screwed too.  So hopefully the Senate does everything in its power to roadblock everything, just like the Republicans have done for years.

11 hours ago, Mercer said:

I have already entered into an agreement to purchase employer-provided health insurance coverage for 2017.

Nothing Trump can do can nullify or raise the price of coverage I've already signed a contract for once he takes office in January, correct? I'm really worried about all this for the country as a whole, but if I have at least till 2018 to make sure all my ducks are in a row it'll be a lot easier from a personal standpoint.

I THINK those of us who already have coverage for next year should be okay until 2018. At that point, who knows?

2 hours ago, outtheblue said:

I sure hope that they will do what they can to stop or at least slow down this bullshit.

If, by "they", you mean the numbnuts in the House, they're going to do everything they can to speed it up. They're in charge and feel vindicated. They'll be sure to ram it to us as hard as they can.

2 hours ago, Penny said:

Saw this on another site, not sure if we need to panic or not.  http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/and-here-we-go--9

Paul Ryan just announced that as part of repealing Obamacare he plans to phase out Medicare and replace it with private insurance.

My hope is that the millions of baby-boomers who are turning 65 every month will protest this hard. Getting rid of Medicare has been a cornerstone of many Republicans' agenda for years. I know George W. Bush wanted it. If we have to have private insurance as seniors, we will have crappy coverage. I guess it's not all bad, it will help shorten the average American's life-span, cutting those old people out of the way. Please note the sarcasm font of the last sentence.

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Penny said:

Paul Ryan is an asshole. He grew up poor and got ssi too. So wtf you repealing it for?

I wish we were like Sweden or Canada. Free equal health insurance for all. 

1 hour ago, Toothfairy said:

Paul Ryan is an asshole. He grew up poor and got ssi too. So wtf you repealing it for?

I wish we were like Sweden or Canada. Free equal health insurance for all. 

He's repealing it because he comes from the following school of thought:  who cares what you need.  I got mine, so fuck you

More conflicting messages about Obamacare today:

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway says the President-elect is considering calling a "special session" of Congress on the day he's sworn in to repeal President Barack Obama's health care law.

"(Trump) has talked about convening a special session on January 20 after he is sworn in as President of the United States to do this very thing, to repeal and replace Obamacare," Conway said on "Fox News Sunday."

"It would be a pretty remarkable move," she added.

It's unclear why Trump would need a "special session," since Congress is in session year-round, unlike state legislatures that meet a few months out of the year and are at times convened under special circumstances.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/13/politics/kellyanne-conway-trump-special-session-congress/index.html

The man likely to be the primary author of legislation repealing Obamacare refused on Sunday to promise that his “replacement” for the health care law would guarantee full coverage of birth control.

Appearing on CNN’s “State of the Nation,” House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) faced pointed questions from host Jake Tapper about the new health care system Republicans have promised to create once they’ve taken the Affordable Care Act off the books.

In particular, Tapper wanted to know, would the new system require all insurance plans to cover FDA-approved forms of birth control, without any co-payments or other forms of out-of-pocket spending?

Such a requirement exists today because the health care law mandates that insurance plans fully cover “preventive services.” When the Obama administration wrote the regulations to fulfill that requirement, it put contraception on the list, on the theory that birth control was a routine form of health care ― women use it not just to prevent pregnancy but also, in many cases, to help with other medical conditions.

Ryan wouldn’t say yes or no to Tapper’s question, arguing that he couldn’t make promises about legislation that didn’t exist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obamacare-repeal-contraception_us_5828a150e4b02d21bbc93afb?

So, to recap, Trump wants to repeal Obamacare on Inauguration Day, but Ryan doesn't even know if the replacement will fully cover birth control because they haven't finished the legislation to replace it. (As of tomorrow, we have 66 days until Inauguration Day including holidays and weekends.) Secondly, I've read that Trump double pinky swears that there will be no coverage gap between the repeal of Obamacare and the beginning of HaHaSucksToBeYouCare.

So, will Trump attempt to fire Congress for not having legislation ready for his pen on Inauguration Day, or will he and Ryan have a big fight about this on social media?

Why are we all trapped inside a fourth rate reality show that is being broadcast out of someone's garage and is narrated by Orly Taitz? 

Repealing the ACA right off the bat with nothing to replace it is a good way to collapse the healthcare industry and throw the economy into another recession.  But what do they care?  They get government healthcare and can vote themselves a raise.  They're set.  The rest of us can just crawl into a hole and die.

On 11/9/2016 at 0:30 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I was very happy for aca. I want a single payer system. I didn't think either candidate would push for that, but at least one wasn't actively against it. 

55,500,000 people are enrolled in traditional, original MediCare and I'm one of them. MediCare is a single payer system.  For those eligible for MediCare, 7 out of 10 people opted for original MediCare, as opposed to enrolling in a MediCare "Advantage" plan.  When my husband had a total knee replacement 3 years ago, the insurance person at the doctor's office told us that they take traditional MediCare but not any of the MediCare "Advantage" plans.  See what  I did there with the quote marks? 

From the JustCare Web site: http://justcareusa.org/why-traditional-medicare-remains-so-popular/

Reinhardt also posits that people trust the government more than the commercial Medicare Advantage plans. People value traditional Medicare for the same reason they value Social Security–it is “an always faithful and reliable companion.” In sharp contrast the commercial insurers that offer Medicare Advantage are nothing more than “ephemeral companions.”

Medicare Advantage plans can morph and change at any time. The insurer who offers the Medicare Advantage plan can change many terms of the agreement whenever it wishes..... In addition, the Medicare Advantage plan can stop offering coverage altogether or the insurer offering the coverage could be bought by another insurer who changes the rules.

For those of you who are not of MediCare age, there are several parts.  Part A covers hospitalization, Part B covers doctors visits and such, up to 80%.  You can either pay that remaining 20% out of pocket, or get supplemental insurance.  My 20% is covered as part of my retirement benefits, but not so with DH.  When we waded into the clusterfuck of options for supplemental plans, I thought I'd lose my mind.  Really, it was utterly incomprehensible.  We were saved by a kismet cold call from an insurance agent who specializes in sorting out these kinds of insurance dilemmas for seniors.  We arranged to meet her in person and she recommended a reasonable option that has worked OK for us.   

When Paul Ryan says he wants to screw with or eliminate traditional MediCare in favor of a voucher system, my stomach started to hurt and my heart sank.  I cannot even imagine the blow back he's going to get if he messes with MediCare, because it works so well for so many people.  

First, last, and foremost:   People on MediCare cost less than people in Advantage plans.  Think about that.  Health insurance is essentially about transfer of wealth, and taking away traditional MediCare is just a giveaway to large for-profit insurance companies, whose uppper management and CEOs make astronomical salaries, typically between 5 and 10 million a year and up.   Forbes tells us we're getting worked up over nothing, because their total salary amounts to just a small amount per person enrolled in their plans.  I think that's missing the point.  If they are worth their salary, they will make things incredibly better for their customers, and they are not.  They are about making things better for their stock holders.  This is a no-win situation for health care consumer. 

So single payer, yes!   It works and works well.  The thought of wading into MediCare "Advantage" plans or the open market place for health insurance is terrifying. 

On 11/10/2016 at 8:48 PM, CelticGoddess said:

They only care about their handlers and the insurance companies are one of their handlers.  They could care less about us.  And I think it will backfire on their sorry asses.  I think this whole election cycle is going to backfire on them.  I can make it to 2018!

I hope you are correct, but I think you underestimate the ability of people to consciously ignore facts in favor of ideology.  

Archived