IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Destiny said:

There's also a post about them having a son that was either stillborn or didn't make it. Sad, because, again, possibly preventable.

Check off for fundie bingo: essential oils make an appearance. Looks like they are into Young Living.

Also Lila rose. 

“Birth Control” … think about that one.  I have often said that if you want “birth control”, relax and push slowly when the baby is coming out.  They are not interested in a “controlled birth” … they want to make sure that a birth never happens.  On a side note, are you aware how many forms of “so-called” birth control or contraception actually cause a very early abortion?

Let’s commit to never use that birth control term again.  What term could we come up with to replace it?  “Child Prevention”?  Can you imagine the conversation at a wedding shower for a friend … “So, what kind of child prevention are you going to be using?”

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've been to a lot of wedding showers and I've never once heard the topic of contraception come up during them. Thank goodness, too, because I'm normally sitting between the bride's 12-year-old sister and her 88-year-old grandmother. 

http://radicalfemininity.com/2014/01/31/enjoy-the-adventure-have-children/

Oh, and one of the daughters has a magazine for single women: http://shiningstarsmagazine.com/

Here's a post from the parents, basically on why birth control is evil (the father is particularly vehement about it): http://shiningstarsmagazine.com/volume4-number4/enjoy-the-adventure-by-tom-and-annie-washburn/

Women are being encouraged to do anything but have children. I strongly encourage you to start preparing now to have children. Learn now how to take care of your body so that it will be healthy and you can enjoy a good pregnancy and natural birth. 

That's right, you should take care of yourself--not for your own sake but because you might have babies some day.

16 minutes ago, Peas n carrots said:

Reminds me of Tabby (RIP). She wasn't Messianic in the organized sense as more ala carte personal religious preferences.

The triscuit matzo will forever slay me.

I still can't believe she passed away.  She was so young, and I think she had a kind heart, even if she did have a lot of crazy ideas.  

Here's a submission to the Shining Stars magazine about one woman's betrothal story: http://shiningstarsmagazine.com/our-betrothal-story-how-what-when-where-why/

It's pretty typical fundie stuff (which means it's incredibly strange by normal standards).

Joel asked Kenton, my father, to come forward and after receiving Dad’s blessing to take me as his wife, Joel gave Dad a box that contained a representation of a “bride price”.  It was something that represented the esteem and value he has for me.

In Biblical times, a man always had to pay a price for his bride.  The daughters in families were highly valued and the young man had to pay something that would indicate his love and the sacrifice he was willing to make to take a girl as his wife.  After Joel gave Dad the “bride price”, Dad gave Joel a key. 

Ew.

When they say that "Israel" is one of their hobbies, do they mean they have a pet named Israel, or...??? I ask because the alternative is that a country is one of their hobbies and I'm not really sure how that would work. 

20 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Oh, and one of the daughters has a magazine for single women: http://shiningstarsmagazine.com/

Here's a post from the parents, basically on why birth control is evil (the father is particularly vehement about it): http://shiningstarsmagazine.com/volume4-number4/enjoy-the-adventure-by-tom-and-annie-washburn/

That's right, you should take care of yourself--not for your own sake but because you might have babies some day.

But if you aren't going to the doctor, how are you supposed to know if you're healthy or not? If you don't believe in the very concept of medicine, what is your metric for health? The four humors?

6 hours ago, Destiny said:

Oh. My. God. I just got to the healing without medicine post. It sounds like she had pneumonia or something - ER sounds like a solid plan. She could have died from something that is preventable - or curable. Yikes.

No kidding.  Respiratory distress is not fun, and dying from it is not pretty.  I'm still amazed that people buy into that crap (not using docs).  She's lucky that didn't have a severe case of pneumonia.  Even if she didn't go to the ED, going to see a GP sounds like a solid plan.

Honestly, I don't care if she doesn't see an MD (even ifI think it's incredibly stupid) however any children?  That just pisses me off.

So it is now 3:40am and having fallen down the rabbit hole head first, I have reached several conclusions:

1. The hobby of Israel does indeed refer to the country (seriously though, WHAT??)

2. I will never understand the fundie aversion to medical care 

3. Fundies need to look up big words before using them to make sure they have the correct term (in this case, "exasperate" instead of "exacerbate")

4. I still don't get the need to post a dozen variations of the same outfit, especially when the description of each included the buzzwords of "thrift store", "originally belonged to (insert sister's name)", "classy"/"stylish",  and always mentions an item that cost $1 at the above-mentioned thrift store. 

There are definitely more, but maybe someone could send the rescue ferrets down soon? I feel like I ought to sleep at some point....

From the anti-healthcare post -- I just have to say that exasperated ≠ exacerbated. SUCH a pet peeve. Two totally different words with entirely different meanings. 

Hospitals DO tend to have lots of awful things going on in them (my husband works in a level one trauma center in an urban area) -- VoVs getting treated, drug ODs, alcohol poisoning, GSWs. But the hospitals aren't bad. They're treating the results of people's bad actions -- rapists' victims, domestic abusers' victims, gang members' victims, etc. Anyway.

None of that is a reason to avoid a hospital if you need one. The staff successfully fights off death every night (and sometimes doesn't succeed) and faces traumas many people can't even imagine, and they do it with a grace and compassion that the average fundy couldn't scare up if they tried. I'm really bugged that these people have the NERVE to call hospitals "wicked places." 

9 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I've been to a lot of wedding showers and I've never once heard the topic of contraception come up during them. Thank goodness, too, because I'm normally sitting between the bride's 12-year-old sister and her 88-year-old grandmother. 

I particularly liked the part where they liken birth control to spiritual abortions :my_dodgy: 

1 hour ago, polecat said:

From the anti-healthcare post -- I just have to say that exasperated ≠ exacerbated. SUCH a pet peeve. Two totally different words with entirely different meanings. 

Hospitals DO tend to have lots of awful things going on in them (my husband works in a level one trauma center in an urban area) -- VoVs getting treated, drug ODs, alcohol poisoning, GSWs. But the hospitals aren't bad. They're treating the results of people's bad actions -- rapists' victims, domestic abusers' victims, gang members' victims, etc. Anyway.

None of that is a reason to avoid a hospital if you need one. The staff successfully fights off death every night (and sometimes doesn't succeed) and faces traumas many people can't even imagine, and they do it with a grace and compassion that the average fundy couldn't scare up if they tried. I'm really bugged that these people have the NERVE to call hospitals "wicked places." 

Exactly! What happens in hospitals ISN'T nice, but that's a dumb reason to avoid them. There's a programme here called "24 Hours in A and E" and it's bizarrely fascinating. (Not just because it's filmed at my local hospital. A and E being what you call the ER). People on there suffer horrific injuries, like falling 30+ feet, and you wonder if they're going to survive. Then they have little interviews at the end where they've not only survived but are thriving.

Without hospitals, my father would've likely died five years ago. As it is, he's still around, just waiting for a kidney transplant. 

11 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

“Birth Control” … think about that one.  I have often said that if you want “birth control”, relax and push slowly when the baby is coming out.  They are not interested in a “controlled birth” … they want to make sure that a birth never happens.  On a side note, are you aware how many forms of “so-called” birth control or contraception actually cause a very early abortion?

Let’s commit to never use that birth control term again.  What term could we come up with to replace it?  “Child Prevention”?  Can you imagine the conversation at a wedding shower for a friend … “So, what kind of child prevention are you going to be using?”

Also, would the term "child prevention" actually bother anyone? He says it like it would be something shocking, but I'm pretty sure people trying to prevent conception want to prevent children--that's the whole point. "Child prevention" sounds fine to me.

32 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Also, would the term "child prevention" actually bother anyone? He says it like it would be something shocking, but I'm pretty sure people trying to prevent conception want to prevent children--that's the whole point. "Child prevention" sounds fine to me.

Sounds good to me.  After having two kids, I had permanent child prevention done.  Best decision I made.  I love my kiddos, but two is enough for me.  We can feed/clothe/house/educate them and still have money to do special or fun things.  We aren't overwhelmed by childcare.  Both of us can still have our careers which makes us happy thus making us better parents.  I have no regret about ending my childbearing years earlier than menopause would.

34 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Also, would the term "child prevention" actually bother anyone?

It is not that different from family planning - which is a common term. Dollars to doughnuts the single  female members of this family are going to have a difficult time acquiring a husband. :/ They have beliefs that are off-beat for fundies. They average evangelical homeschooler won't relate to the aspects of Judaism they have taken on.

34 minutes ago, Childless said:

Sounds good to me.  After having two kids, I had permanent child prevention done.  Best decision I made.  I love my kiddos, but two is enough for me.  We can feed/clothe/house/educate them and still have money to do special or fun things.  We aren't overwhelmed by childcare.  Both of us can still have our careers which makes us happy thus making us better parents.  I have no regret about ending my childbearing years earlier than menopause would.

You can also afford medical expenses for two. I think that all the fundies demonizing modern medicine just don't have the money for it so they turn to prayer and essential oils. 

12 hours ago, Koala said:

I still can't believe she passed away.  She was so young, and I think she had a kind heart, even if she did have a lot of crazy ideas.  

I have been gone a long time, I had no idea Tabby passed!  I had a soft spot for her. Sad. RIP Tabby. 

To me, being able to avoid coming to the point where I have so many children I would actually consider an abortion just because I have too many children to handle is a good reason to use birth control. I wouldn't have an abortion today if I would end up with an unplanned blessing but I don't want 5-6 unplanned blessings. My grandmother had 7 kids between 1939 and 1946 and I know I am also crazy fertile. This time I just got my period back and my son is three months old... Last time I lasted to 8.5 months at least. 

I was just looking at the comments on the twins post. Someone commented, "Did that poor woman not get any prenatal care? How terrifying." Here's Hannah's response:

I’m not sure how you define prenatal care! Yes, she had plenty of care. If you’re referring to an ultrasound, then no – they chose not to do that based on how dangerous they are for the baby and also out of respect for the fact that babies are formed in secret (Psalm 139) and a preference to leave it that way.

It should never be terrifying to have faith in the Heavenly Father. Exciting, yes … often even uncertain. But there’s no reason to be terrified when we know that we can trust Him and He wants the best for us and has the best plan!

I have never before heard of someone refusing ultrasounds because the Bible says babies are formed in secret. That is a totally new one to me. I really don't get that logic at all.

Here's the part of Psalm 139 that she's referring to.

KJV:

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

NIV:

13  For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

Obviously this was written before ultrasounds, but I don't see anything that suggests that ultrasounds are wrong! This is just bizarre.

And while the mother and babies are fine now, I think the fact that it was twins and that the mother had two emergency trips to the hospital due to complications after the birth suggests that prenatal care would have been a good idea. I wonder how bad the complications must have been if she, someone who rejected medical care to the extent of not even knowing that she was having twins, went to the hospital twice.

The twins' names, by the way, are Chavah and Hoshiana.

Edit: Oh jeez, I stopped reading there and came over to post because I was so shocked about it, but there's more.

Another comment: "So she was in labour few weeks before due date and instead going to hospital they’ve called your mother? That’s so irresponsible. How would they feel If anything went wrong? I will never understand some peope."

Hannah's response:

And I will never understand why some people feel the need to decide what is right and wrong for everyone! Do you know how many babies and mamas die or are injured in hospitals? The only time a hospital is “safer” than home is if the Holy Spirit leads you to go there. I encourage you to stop judging when others make decisions based on prayer and guidance from the Heavenly Father, even if you don’t necessarily agree with them or would do something different! Not everyone is called to walk the same path.

5 hours ago, Showtunesgirl said:

4. I still don't get the need to post a dozen variations of the same outfit, especially when the description of each included the buzzwords of "thrift store", "originally belonged to (insert sister's name)", "classy"/"stylish",  and always mentions an item that cost $1 at the above-mentioned thrift store.

My rule of thumb: If you have to repeatedly mention how "classy" someone/something is, it probably isn't.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

And I will never understand why some people feel the need to decide what is right and wrong for everyone!

Yet, she  just declared ultrasounds on biblical. Fuck her. 

4 minutes ago, FundieWatcher said:

Yet, she  just declared ultrasounds on biblical. Fuck her. 

It's like the people who say government should stay out of people's lives but then think the government should control what a woman does with her uterus.

In the comments in that twins post there was someone else arguing with her (who, judging by the date on the comments, almost certainly came to the post from FJ) and I found it to be kind of an amusing twist on the arguments you often see around these issues.

"Addie" wrote a long comment beginning with:

First of all when you choose to carry a child to term you are no longer afforded the privilege of it being what you want or believe. 

Hannah replied:

First, I find it a bit amusing that you believe parents should lose their God-given rights and responsibilities if they carry a baby to full term.

Usually it's the fundies implying that women lose their autonomy when they're pregnant!

Addie kept arguing after that but Hannah ended with:

Since we obviously disagree on the fundamentals, I think it’s a waste of time to carry on any further discussion. I will pray for you, that you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. ❤

Gotta love the passive aggressive "I will pray for you so that you'll agree with me" response. :pb_lol:

I'm looking through the comments on the Disney post now and I see that they don't approve of Narnia either.

Re: Narnia, our family is convicted to have nothing to do with it. I understand that there is some Christian influence but with the Greek and Roman mythology influences as well, I feel that it is a mixing of good and evil. Not to mention that magic is portrayed in a positive light.

Several other commenters agree and seem to particularly dislike the half-man half-animal characters.

In Narnia, the children encounter hybrids. How does one get a hybrid without bestiality occuring? The children are crowned kings and queens of the North, South, East, and West. In the Occult that is directional spiritism, calling upon directional spirits for guidance. Lucy uses the elements to heal with – directional spiritism, which is a Wiccian spell process.

Half man and half animal also supports evolution and flies in the face of the Biblical account of Creation. 

:pb_lol:

I really need to go now, but here are a couple comments from the modesty post:

A woman can have ‘a Jezebel spirit’ thus rendering everything she wears immodest. And THAT is a matter of the heart.

That is a good point. Considering that modest means decent, I absolutely agree that one can be immodest in her actions, but my point in this article is that when the Bible talks about modesty, it’s in reference to clothing. My mother shared about the time she saw an old order Amish woman, in full garb, with her foot propped up on the buggy and a cigarette between her fingers. Quite the shocker!

Something I keep in mind in regards to the clothes vs behavior is that you occasionally find a woman who causes you to think – well, she’s dressed appropriately but she’s a hussy in every other way. But I’ve never yet had the experience (or heard of someone else who did) of seeing a woman that was dressed like a hussy and thinking – what a modest woman!

Who still uses the word "hussy" seriously? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived