IGNORED

Even More Bateses! (Part the 19th)

Destiny

I'd eat fish and chips on the grass. But I am gross like that, I guess.

PS Australia is an entire continent, so perhaps the "bugs & insects" concentrations are not evenly distributed. : )

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Note: I looked for another thread to put this in but I didn't see a thread about this specific topic.  If there is one, I apologize!) 

I've known of the Bateseseseses for a long time and saw an episode or two of their old show as well as their appearances on 543 Duggars and Counting.  I have seen talk on here about their likability making them especially dangerous but yesterday for the first time I checked out a couple of BUB on the UP website.  

Holy shit.  This is even more evil programming than TLC's Dugger Shitshow by a LONG SHOT.  They are all so charismatic and likable, the fundie warning signs are so subtle that I don't know if they would even be noticed by most viewers, they don't discuss their religion or modesty ad nauseum like the Duggers, they have an upbeat theme song about loving each other, they really come off as just a big family who is super normal and happy and loving and happens to be about 5 times the size of most American families.  None of those bizarre mannerisms of the Duggars (WIDE EYES, baby voice, weird catchphrases) that are noticed even by casual viewers of the "Counting" franchise.

Knowing how involved Gil is with Gothard and how deep they are in fundie-royalty-universe, I feel like this is a deeply disturbing portrayal.  I was just floored by the difference in the way they present themselves compared to the Duggars and the appearance of "normalcy" in their show.

I am glad the show is on a lesser known channel but I still find it upsetting and wanted to discuss this both with specific regard to the Bateseseseses but also in terms of cult/fundamentalism recruitment.  This is, in my opinion, a great example of how families might get sucked into these deeply abusive, horrific belief structures. 

1 hour ago, Pasta said:

I'm fascinated that Kelly is eating on the grass (considering her reaction to the fleas on the dog that Erin had gotten) I would think she didn't like bugs.

I LOATHE fleas, and get an itch for days after spotting one. Eating on the grass? Pish tush tu, no probz, I can stay there forever (as long as no ants are present. Then I'll scream and run away).

The family was planning a dinner to get all of the kids together (except Michael and Alyssa) and someone knocked on the door. Nathan answered and it was the lady that usually delivers flowers.  
She came in and said that she had flowers for Kelly and a game for everyone to play.  She handed out little boxes to everyone and said they couldn't open it until she said so.  She counted down and they opened it and found two pictures, one of Allie wuth the chalkboard sign and one of Alyssa's stomach.  They're was also a package of m &ms with lexis name on it but most of the family didn't realize it.  Everyone was screaming and ran out of the house to see Alyssa outside. She exited the car with Allie and Allie starred crying. 

Wow! How far along was Alyssa when she announced her pregnancy to her family?!

If we believe the show she would have been around 20 weeks give or take. She was showing and knew it was a girl. Same pictures were used as for the public announcement which was at 20 something weeks. Shes not one to announce early on, which is cool.  Kind of interesting that she waits quite awhile to even announce to family but i feel her. 

4 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I actually just came back from Australia. There's so many bugs and insects, I'm grossed out that the kids are eating fish and chips without a tray or towel under it. It's so gross. 

I live in Australia, this is the authentic Australian Fish n chips experience. 

@actuallyjessica Alyssa told Kelly that she was "half way" through the pregnancy.  So, about 20 weeks as @MsSaylor said. 

There was also a short time between the flower lady coming and the family opening the boxes when Kelly kept asking who was pregnant.  She immediately jumped to that when the flower lady walked in and kept yelling "I'm not pregnant!".  Later she and/or Erin mentioned that the little kids had immediately asked if mom was pregnant.  After Kelly yelled several times that it wasn't her she gestured towards Erin and said "It's too soon for you" and Erin agreed, "I have a newborn!!".  They opened the boxes soon after.  I figured that this must have been filmed in September.  

7 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I actually just came back from Australia. There's so many bugs and insects, I'm grossed out that the kids are eating fish and chips without a tray or towel under it. It's so gross. 

Usually we put a picnic rug down first and then the food (and even a plate); different strokes for different folks I guess...

In terms of the bugs, the further from the CBD you get, the more flies (rural and country areas). Although at the moment we are having a huge problem with Spiders. They are everywhere and the cobwebs are so bad. You clean them away and less than 24 hours later they're back!!!

The use of acronyms is increasing.  Perhaps we should use the words so everyone can know what is being said without resorting to Mr. Google?  He thinks CBD is related to cannabis by the way. 

Commercial business district? 

Central Business District. Is CBD not commonly used elsewhere? Weird. Us Aussies aren't to know what is used everywhere - it is very common here.

That's why the request to spell things out.  Just as we don't allow text speak, acronyms should be known to be common to almost all readers.  Thanks. 

Central Business District. Is CBD not commonly used elsewhere? Weird. Us Aussies aren't to know what is used everywhere - it is very common here.

Never heard that abbreviation before. Thanks for clarifying (i too immediately thought cannabis)!

13 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

If we believe the show she would have been around 20 weeks give or take. She was showing and knew it was a girl. Same pictures were used as for the public announcement which was at 20 something weeks. Shes not one to announce early on, which is cool.  Kind of interesting that she waits quite awhile to even announce to family but i feel her. 

And she is so petite and carries so small that she can wait a really long time before it is obvious that she is pregnant. And since she is neither smoking nor drinking there are no signs of her being pregnant.

If I ever got pregnant people probably wouldn't realize asap, because my belly is already quite big -.-. and everybody is used to it. But the second someone would see me in a bar ordering a soda I would spill the beans.

9 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Although at the moment we are having a huge problem with Spiders. They are everywhere and the cobwebs are so bad. You clean them away and less than 24 hours later they're back!!!

Nope nope nope nope nope, it is official, not going to Australia! :shudders:

Just now, Thorns said:

Nope nope nope nope nope, it is official, not going to Australia! :shudders:

A HUGE nope here, too. Even the thought of going to Australia with all the creatures and critters that you can possibly meet there gives me the creeps. But I would love to go to New Zealand.

Despite her beliefs, I kinda like Alyssa. Not telling her family she was pregnant? I find it shocking and even funny if we consider how much Bates loves pregnancies. I mean, I can understand waiting some weeks to announce, but half the pregnancy? It sounds as if she wanted to be quiet and avoid family disturbing her.

Allie is probably used to routines and to a quiet home. So facing Bates noisy crowd makes her unconfortable.

What about the wedding Alyssa attended recently? The bride's gown was not modest and a poster said the bride was already pregnant. I wonder if John and her are making fundie lite friends and it may help them to choose a (slightly) different way of life than their parents.

Perhaps we are wrong and the Bates realized their fan base is so dumb that they could plaster "We run a cult" all over their show and still not lose fans, so they aren't going to hide it anymore. 

Tonight's episode has a lot more discussion about their religiousness than usual. The lead in was Katie's purity ring dinner and that lead into a discussion about the church they bought and added a steeple to.  

On 1/18/2017 at 3:12 AM, ophelia said:

A HUGE nope here, too. Even the thought of going to Australia with all the creatures and critters that you can possibly meet there gives me the creeps. But I would love to go to New Zealand.

Early on in the TV show Peppa Pig, there was an episode trying to teach kids not to be afraid of snakes or maybe it was spiders.  That is not an episode that you want to show to Australian pre-schoolers!  There are some snakes and spiders in Australia you definitely want kids to be cautious around.  It was pulled out of rotation.

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Early on in the TV show Peppa Pig, there was an episode trying to teach kids not to be afraid of snakes or maybe it was spiders.  That is not an episode that you want to show to Australian pre-schoolers!  There are some snakes and spiders in Australia you definitely want kids to be cautious around.  It was pulled out of rotation.

Why would you pull something like this out of rotation? Sounds like a really important and educational episode to me. Maybe I should watch it too ;-)

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

Why would you pull something like this out of rotation? Sounds like a really important and educational episode to me. Maybe I should watch it too ;-)

Because Australian kids MUST be afraid of snakes and spiders, in order to protect their lives. You can find mortal spiders easily in some places and a kid with no fear it's a recipe for disaster.

Our time in Australia was so refreshing! Thank you to the Harrisons and the many families who invited us, cared for us, and encouraged us through your Godly examples. We thought we were going to try to encourage others, but we were the recipients that felt so blessed to be a part of your ministry there, and we will not soon forget your hospitality and kindness! 

So this is how they are passing it off. They are claiming they were invited to be part of a ministry run by someone else. 

There is a fan that apparently is getting sucked into IBLP because of the Bates and attending parts of the IBLP conference. And this is why they are so fucking dangerous. No matter what Alyssa wears or how cute the kids are, they are using their family to suck people into a cult that destroys lives. 

Thank you y'all for coming out & also thank you to the Harrison's for allowing mum & I to return to conference. Was a incredible few days. Changed my heart for God & I think mum's too. Has made me really think of my life & what needs to be removed from it. Also signed up for EmbassyMedia so been checking that out. Glad you flew out yesterday been thunder & rain here today.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived