IGNORED

RC Sproul Jr, 2016 MERGED

DomWackTroll

Many in the Bible Belt/Fundies will tell you that the translation says He was drinking grape juice, that He didn't drink so that's why they don't.

Obviously we know separate from the Bible that people DID drink in those times and that was culturally normal. But then they'll say "set apart from the world". To me, why Jesus would have grape house in wine skins or make metaphors about wine skins when he didn't drink is just bizarre. But, you know. Bizarre and fundies...

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Corntree said:

Man, I grew up Catholic. Catholics ain't got no problem with alcohol. It's interesting to see what different Christians think about drinking. It's just... Jesus and his disciples drank wine at the Last Supper, right? So I don't know why some Christians think you shouldn't drink. Mormons don't drink; this Mormon woman whose blog I used to follow said they did water and bread for Communion. I thought it was weird they did that and made such a big deal about no alcohol when Jesus drank wine.

My mom thought that my dad's mother originally converted to Mormonism in Ireland because Mormons don't drink and her husband (my grandfather, who passed away in 1950) was severely alcoholic, in the way that the Irish can be -- Angela's Ashes, anyone? 

This is interesting:  What does the Bible say about drinking alcohol or wine?  Turns out, the Bible has a lot to say. 

4 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

Many in the Bible Belt/Fundies will tell you that the translation says He was drinking grape juice, that He didn't drink so that's why they don't.

Obviously we know separate from the Bible that people DID drink in those times and that was culturally normal. But then they'll say "set apart from the world". To me, why Jesus would have grape house in wine skins or make metaphors about wine skins when he didn't drink is just bizarre. But, you know. Bizarre and fundies...

And there's the grape juice miracle, his first miracle, where he turned the water to the best grape juice.

5 hours ago, Howl said:

t's just... Jesus and his disciples drank wine at the Last Supper, right?

Yeah, I mentioned that to a one/time boss (big-time So. Baptist) and he pounced: "It doesn't say JESUS drank, it says He told His DISCIPLES to drink!"

Several smart-arsey retorts came to mind but I just said, "Ah" and broke eye contact.

I mean, I did report to the guy, and I really didn't (don't) care one way or the other about what Jesus said about wine & strong drink 2,000 years ago, but at the time I still liked the job. It was a temp-to-hire, and after a few weeks when the time came for things to get permanent, the big boss offered me a FT job but I politely declined.

Yeah, working around - and at times for - a self-proclaimed Bible expert when I had nearly 50 years of dang good scholarship in Lutheranism, had changed my attitude toward the opportunity, and how! 

There were other drawbacks to the job, of course, but Brother Knows-Better was for sure a significant one.

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

"It doesn't say JESUS drank, it says He told His DISCIPLES to drink!"

...but, but...but so many logic flaws on that one.

1 minute ago, FundieFarmer said:

...but, but...but so many logic flaws on that one.

I know, right? 

And the guy was an accountant. Somehow I 'd always thought people who put 2 & 2 together & came up with 4 would have a more logical mind, if not exactly discerning. And thus  I politely declined to work for him (and Yes, I was VERY blessed to have that option to say no.)

On 2/8/2017 at 0:42 AM, DomWackTroll said:

Don't tell me that Spanky doesn't cringe at this atrocious spelling and grammar (click to see). Well, at least he can be there to oversee every single minute of the kids' homeschooling, since he has absolutely nothing else to do these days. 

Where was he all the other years while his kids were neglected?

55 minutes ago, Schmoopy said:

Where was he all the other years while his kids were neglected?

In the basement, brewing beer. 

Looks like son-in-law-to-be, JTeef, is no longer working for Ligonier but has moved on to Veritas Press.

Did he actually graduate from Reformation BC?

On 8/13/2017 at 2:07 PM, hoipolloi said:

Did he actually graduate from Reformation BC?

He says he graduated in May with a BA in Theological Studies, History and Philosophy.

Veritas Press.  Hm.  Isn't that PA based?

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

He says he graduated in May with a BA in Theological Studies, History and Philosophy.

Veritas Press.  Hm.  Isn't that PA based?

Looks like Lancaster, PA.  Since it's an on-line deal, maybe he'll telecommute?  Whatever it is, he'll have a job-type job, even if it's within the fundy homeschool bubble. 

Looks like it is in PA or the post currently on their site is...

<<Service Manager

Our families are the heart of our mission, and our Service Department is the nerve center for our interaction with all of them. We have an opening in our Lancaster, Pennsylvania office for a Service Manager, who oversees this department and facilitates many aspects of our support of your students’ education! Please find a job description HERE.  If you or anyone you know is interested in being considered for this position, please send your resume to brandon...>>

• 4 weeks later...

Um… Have we talked about Lisa Sproul’s wedding dress yet? It’s a bit… much. 

Front:

Back:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211754329788334&set=pcb.10211754337228520&type=3&theater

And is there anything classier than a spatula shaped like a lady’s shoe?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211754336148493&set=pcb.10211754337228520&type=3&theater

:wtsf:

My eyes! My eyes! Spanky, his beer gut looming over sporran and kilt...

Combine her dress with the black bridesmaids' dresses, and IMNSHO we're straying close to the world of goth cosplay so recently enjoyed by DPIAT. Is it a fundamentalism-induced backlash trend, I wonder? 

(Was Dougie at this wedding?? Inquiring mind want to know...)

1 hour ago, Quinquagenarian said:

It's awful. Like Carol Burnett's Gone With the Wind skit. It feels like he chose the dress

It reminds me of something a whorehouse madam would have worn on one of those "in-living-color" western TV series from the 1960s. And yes, I absolutely believe that Spanky chose it, and the ribbon on her bouquet, to match his kilt. His delirium-tremens-smudged fingerprints are all over the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Quinquagenarian said:

It's awful. Like Carol Burnett's Gone With the Wind skit. It feels like he chose the dress

Yes, but how else would she stand out next to Spanky in his best Scots regalia?!? (Spanky could've used some Spanx, tee-hee)

29 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

(Was Dougie at this wedding?? Inquiring mind want to know...)

Maybe he photographed it. Cinema of Wonder!!

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Um… Have we talked about Lisa Sproul’s wedding dress yet? It’s a bit… much. 

Well, there IS the Loch Ness ladle, but IMHO it's really cute!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUK3XMA/ref=asc_df_B01GUK3XMA5166906/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01GUK3XMA&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193129986239&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5214896219571820967&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022881&hvtargid=pla-307463283838

And not that I'd EVER want to stick up for Ruth & Boaz v.2016, but the cake server (not a spatula, AFAIK) with the "heel" to keep it upright really makes some good sense! You just slide the shoe-y part under the piece of cake you've just cut and lift up. Then the emptied server sits tidily on the table.   A traditional cake server just has a little bit of an angle and looks kinda haphazard when it's laid on the table after use. 

And this may be THE MOST INSIGNIFICANT THING I have written or will write about this year!!!!!

:content:

Wait a minute -- have Spanky & Lisa been living in sin all this time? 

Interesting that none of the older Sproul kids or spouses appear to have been present, judging from the posted photos.

3 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Looks like an outfit for one of those $500 special edition Barbies that old ladies hoard... :o

NAILED IT

OMG that thing is hideous...

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Wait a minute -- have Spanky & Lisa been living in sin all this time? 

Interesting that none of the older Sproul kids or spouses appear to have been present, judging from the posted photos.

That's what I am wondering too. Why are they just now having a wedding? Or are these old photos? 

It says "Blessing of the Covenant".  Is this some kind of super special Calvinist thing that isn't a wedding?  Did RC and Lisa elope last fall?  I'm OK with the historical-romance-bodice-ripper of a dress, but RC's gut eclipses everything.  Literally.  

Anyway, RC Senior Cal-splains here: Covenant Blessings, which sheds no light on the event celebrated in the photos. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived