IGNORED

My friend saw Mama Duggar in the grocery store

Kitchen Princess

I used to have hair about the same length as Jessa's, except my hair is much finer and thinner.

Hair care when you have that much of it is expensive and exhausting. I had to keep large hair pins in the shower because I couldn't hold it all in a regular clip anymore. I pull my hair up with conditioner and rinse it out before I get out of the shower. My hair was never dry when I'd get up in the morning and I couldn't do anything with it ever. Too long for a curling iron, gets in the way all the time etc.

So I chopped it off to my shoulders in February and I can do things with it again. No more headaches from it being up, and my showers have shortened by 15 minutes.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, trustworthy said:

I used to be a high school teacher in a bad public school and all the girls had major big mall rat teased hair.  They almost never did their homework. When I asked one girl why she said, "Ms. Trustworthy, I get up at 5 am to do my hair!"

I am now helplessly humming the theme to "Working Girl"..

Ni9YkvLYQ=

1 hour ago, EmmyJay said:

I used to have hair about the same length as Jessa's, except my hair is much finer and thinner.

Hair care when you have that much of it is expensive and exhausting. I had to keep large hair pins in the shower because I couldn't hold it all in a regular clip anymore. I pull my hair up with conditioner and rinse it out before I get out of the shower. My hair was never dry when I'd get up in the morning and I couldn't do anything with it ever. Too long for a curling iron, gets in the way all the time etc.

So I chopped it off to my shoulders in February and I can do things with it again. No more headaches from it being up, and my showers have shortened by 15 minutes.

I just went from upper middle back length to chin length hair myself.  I can identify with the long shower thing, plus I used to use a LOT of conditioner.  

I have nothing to add, but that everytime I see this thread title I read it to the tune of "I saw mama kissing santa claus."

I saw mama Duggar in the grooocery store

Buying cans of soup and tater tots

I'm growing my hair out now. The conditioner cost is quickly increasing. The wet hair on my back when I get out of a shower is something I have not missed. But I'm so excited to have the ability to do a sultry stripper hair flip and updos and all that long hair stuff.

51 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I'm growing my hair out now. The conditioner cost is quickly increasing. The wet hair on my back when I get out of a shower is something I have not missed. But I'm so excited to have the ability to do a sultry stripper hair flip and updos and all that long hair stuff.

I use Suave shampoo and conditioners.  They are inexpensive and sulfate and silica free.  I have very long, thick wavy (sometimes curly) hair that is almost to my butt.  I also use Argon oil in my hair to try to prevent frizz.  Only wash my hair a few times a week, and usually let it air dry.  Use a diffuser if needed.  I don't find hair care that expensive or time consuming.  I've had short and long hair over the years.  Find that my longer hair is easier to do things with than shorter hair.  More style options.  And I use roller clips I think their called as hair pins. Normal hair pins just won't hold. 

I know I shouldn't wash my hair too much, but I do end up washing it mostly every day.   When my hair was short, my scalp stayed clean.  When it's long, I guess because oils and buildup have too far to travel, my scalp gets sort of crusty if I don't wash frequently.  Plus I work out most days and do a lot of horseback riding (dirt, helmet sweat, horse stink) so it has to get washed after a barn day if I'm going anywhere post-riding.

Amazon! I have a huge love of TGI hair products and I just buy in bulk from them. I've been managing to get the huge bottles for about 20$ lately.

My hair can't handle a lot else. Gets extremely dry and staticky without certain products. I can't use coconut oil as I live with my mum who's extremely allergic to coconuts, and that's always what I see suggested.

You ladies are making me thank the stars for my fine hair. I can literally blow dry/style my hair in 7 minutes, tops.

I'm black and have an afro, so hair-care entails washing once a week and manipulating my fro every morning to my liking. Washing more frequently makes my hair too brittle and drys out my scalp too much. I recently got a Deva Cut and the stylist used a cleansing conditioner/leave-in called Long Hair Don't Care that is AMAZING! If you have curly hair I highly recommend it!  

8 hours ago, missegeno said:

The wet hair on my back when I get out of a shower is something I have not missed. 

I always use two different towels for this reason - one to twist up my hair, one for the rest of me. Even though I just cut off about a foot last week, it's still below my shoulders so while I could get away with only one towel in a pinch, I still stay with two. 

Another thick wavy hair person here - cut it last fall, from my waist to about my armpits. Then again this year from below my bra strap to between shoulders and armpit. So now there's some wave back - not sure how long that will last, since I'll probably grow it out again. 

I always use two different towels for this reason - one to twist up my hair, one for the rest of me. Even though I just cut off about a foot last week, it's still below my shoulders so while I could get away with only one towel in a pinch, I still stay with two.  

I think i need to get another turbie-twist. I got rid of mine when i chopped my hair and you reminded me how wonderful it was.

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

I think i need to get another turbie-twist. I got rid of mine when i chopped my hair and you reminded me how wonderful it was.

The turbie- twist is one of my favorite inventions ever. More so than the telephone maybe. It's made my life 10000x easier.

I have hair that's about midway to my ribs, pretty thick, pretty curly. I wash it every other day, sometimes every 2-3 days depending on how much I care that week. I sleep on it wet or else it dries funny. Occasionally I use some Argan oil serum, but I'm not a big hair product person. 

27 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

The turbie- twist is one of my favorite inventions ever. More so than the telephone maybe. It's made my life 10000x easier.

I have hair that's about midway to my ribs, pretty thick, pretty curly. I wash it every other day, sometimes every 2-3 days depending on how much I care that week. I sleep on it wet or else it dries funny. Occasionally I use some Argan oil serum, but I'm not a big hair product person. 

The turbie twist is the greatest invention ever! Another product I recently started using is a wet brush for after I wash it, and it is awesome at preventing breakage or pulling out strands of hair. 10/10 would recommend.

4 minutes ago, Londish said:

Another product I recently started using is a wet brush for after I wash it, and it is awesome at preventing breakage or pulling out strands of hair. 10/10 would recommend.

Seconding this! Wet Brushes are amazing. My hairdresser sold me one, and I was worried it was going to be gimmicky but it's not. I've had it for a year now and still love it.

I've always considered myself kind of lucky to have thick hair in a random mess of wavy/curly/"coily", pretty much the same as Jinger/Michelle, just a little thicker (and NOT cut/styled the same way!!!).

It's super easy to care for honestly, I generally wash it every other day,  use some curl cream to bring out bounce and reduce frizz, blowdry for 5 min and let the rest airdry (I ride my bike to work = natural hair dryer ;-) ). 
Day 2 I put it in an easy braid updo or messy bun and I can stretch it to day 3 if I don't feel like washing it. 

I definitely get the impression that I spend less time on my hair, than my friends with fine, thin hair, but then I'm lucky that slightly messy/easy style is prefered here and people don't generally bother with flat/curl-irons the same way I get the impression a lot of US-women do?

I give you my daily hair care routine: 

1. Get out of bed. 

2. Brush hair if hair brush is close by. 

3. Done. :)

I wash it 2-3 times a week with only shampoo and let it air dry. And I cut it a couple of times a year. I'm really lucky my hair is a bit wavy and doesn't need much (or anything) to look ok. 

I think all hair types have their pros and cons. I have thin straight hair that falls below my shoulders. I typically wash it every other day. The days I do wash it I wrap it in a towel for a few minutes, then let it air dry while I get dressed, and put on makeup, then at that point all I have to do is blowdry it for maybe 5 minutes and I'm good to go. I wouldn't even have to use the hair dryer if it didn't fall so flat but I need the extra help for volume. The downside to my hair is it tangles incredibly easy. Whenever I get it cut the stylist will comb it 10 times and then on the 11th time it will snag and they will be surprised and apologize and I'm like that's just what it does. Windy days are the worst. 

12 hours ago, Londish said:

The turbie twist is the greatest invention ever! Another product I recently started using is a wet brush for after I wash it, and it is awesome at preventing breakage or pulling out strands of hair. 10/10 would recommend.

That sounds so cool! If I start brushing my hair again, that's the kind of thing I'd want.

As it stands I give it a quick run through before a shampoo with a bristle brush.

On 12/1/2016 at 9:11 AM, LadyCrow1313 said:

I'd love to see someone with Photoshop skills go to town on this picture. Add some ebil rock n roll shirts, punk hairdos and assorted piercings & voila! New & Improved Duggars!  :chi-yes:

I want to cry when I see pictures of the girls dressed like this...they look like they are 15 dressed to look like they are 5 in clothes that have to be a decade out of style. 

• 1 month later...

I thought she always says *insert baby voice* I allwaysss take my time, going to the grocery store whatever and take one of my children, as them whats on their mind, its a really good way of bonding...etc

Then again, I could be overreacting, its just one picture of her at the grocery store but I wouldn't be suprised if she was lying about that.

My entire family has varying degrees of curly hair except for me. Completely straight no matter what. I very much wanted curly hair growing up. My spouse has very tight curled and textured hair and mostly rocks a fade. Our son has fine curly, but nothing like his Dad's, that he recently has grown out. It's a battle between his Dad and I on how to tame it. His Dad keeps trying to brush it out and dump baby oil on it which is not my sons best look. I do a weekly comb through pre-shower and use the shea moisture curly kids line. Now I'm curious about the wet brush. 

On 8-12-2016 at 11:14 AM, Iamtheway said:

I give you my daily hair care routine: 

1. Get out of bed. 

2. Brush hair if hair brush is close by. 

3. Done. :)

I wash it 2-3 times a week with only shampoo and let it air dry. And I cut it a couple of times a year. I'm really lucky my hair is a bit wavy and doesn't need much (or anything) to look ok. 

This is me too, done in 30 seconds! Now my daughters' hair, they require 15 min. But that's mostly braiding. 

Archived