IGNORED

No big deal

MarblesMom

Marbles started drinking 3 bowls of water a day since last week.  Her bowl holds 5 cups.  She weighs 61 pounds.  That is a LOT OF WATER, every day.  A noticeable increase.

Fortunately, she is also peeing it out.  But I knew the water issue was a problem.

I took her to the vet today, and after a UA (with a measuring cup on a stick to follow her around for collection! So smart!) and some blood work, she has an UTI.  I was concerned it might be diabetes.

Antibiotics for 3 weeks and we will see how she does.  Vet said she might have stones after this, but we can re-assess.  Vet said they are common in older female dogs, but not cats.  Marbles is 7, we think.

She is fine aside from peeing like a monster.  As a human, I loathe UTIs and I am so sorry she has one.  

She is on the mend!   Got pill pockets, and she ate everything BUT the pill, so I just dropped them in her bowl and the pills have been  consumed so far.  Still drinking a ton, but ... giving it some time to see what happens.

She seems a little better!  Still drinking and peeing a ton, but we all do that with an UTI... so I am sympathetic.

11 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

She seems a little better!  Still drinking and peeing a ton, but we all do that with an UTI... so I am sympathetic.

I'm glad she is doing better! Just a warning, some UTIs are resistant to the first line antibiotics. If the symptoms persist, you may need to try Clavamox or Baytril, both of which are very expensive and powerful.

Please consider giving a probiotic. Anytime you introduce antibiotics, it throws the flora in the digestive system off and things can get ugly. I use Gentle Digest by ArkNaturals, but lots of folks swear by Fortiflora.

She is on Clavamox, 1000mg a day... for 21 days.  I will ask the vet about the probiotic, too!  Thanks -  I never thought about it.

Poor pup.  I'm glad it's not diabetes but UTIs are unpleasant.  I hope Marbles feels all better soon now she is on antibiotics.  

Has she had UTIs before?  Miss P used to be very prone to them because she had a hypoplastic vulva.  It's important to catch UTIs fast before they infect the kidneys.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:01 PM, MarblesMom said:

and after a UA (with a measuring cup on a stick to follow her around for collection! So smart!)

Just a suggestion, I have an old kitchen ladle that is dedicated to doggy urine sample collection.  I found it easier than trying to attach a cup to a stick.  

On 10/26/2016 at 0:55 AM, MarblesMom said:

Got pill pockets, and she ate everything BUT the pill,

That tricky little devil. :)  If she starts leaving the pill in her dog bowl, I swear by a little smear of peanut butter or low fat cream cheese.  Clavamox can upset their tummies so a probiotic is a good idea.  

I also second what @GreyhoundFan said about resistant UTIs.  I would suggest another urinalysis a few days after Marbles has finished this course of Clavamox just to be sure it's completely gone. 

I send what @Palimpsest said about the peanut butter.  My Shih tzu and my dachsie both love the eat the peanut butter off my fingers so much that I'll sometimes put peanut butter on a finger on each hand so both dogs can have a taste, not just the pill-ee.

Thanks for asking, @ALM7.  She is indeed on the mend!  Not drinking nearly as much as she was, and seems energetic.  She went for a run yesterday and seemed to enjoy it!

I'm so glad Marbles is feeling better.

I've been meaning to ask - is there a story behind her name?

HAHAHAHAHA @Palimpsest, yes, there is.  

We got Ms Marbles from a shelter in Los Angeles.  They named her Marbles, because we she arrived, apparently she had eaten (and passed) many marbles.  You know, the kind kids played with back before Pinterest made them a craft item....

I personally think Marbles is fitting because sometimes I think she has lost hers....  :GPn0zNK:

19 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

HAHAHAHAHA @Palimpsest, yes, there is.  

We got Ms Marbles from a shelter in Los Angeles.  They named her Marbles, because we she arrived, apparently she had eaten (and passed) many marbles.  You know, the kind kids played with back before Pinterest made them a craft item....

I personally think Marbles is fitting because sometimes I think she has lost hers....  :GPn0zNK:

That's a great story behind her name. And, I am right there with her, except I don't know if I ever had any marbles to lose...

I'm glad she's on the mend.

Archived