IGNORED

Maxhell- Part 5

samurai_sarah

Part 2 of the fair is up. It is nothing more than Steve removing himself from responsibility and trying to explain that the 'children' chose to do the fair, not them. They paid for it, blah, blah, blah.

The tail is very clearly wagging the dog. I know of two people, plus myself, who commented and asked how they could justify enticing children when they themselves went out of their way to isolate their own.

It's not his fault, y'all. His children did it. He's just observing. They're not in the 'trenches' anymore; the children do everything and they get to watch.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, fundiefan said:

They live at home until they're married. They work, but don't have any expenses. Their money goes to saving for the day they become big boys, find a helpmeet, and buy a house with all that savings.

Exactly! Steve's posts about debt-free houses or living or whatever are a bunch of waffling that don't actually SAY anything, because his advice doesn't apply to the average person. To buy a debt-free house the Steve Maxwell way means that you have to be a young man living with your parents, with little or no expenses, living in an area with low housing costs, and have a job, with all the circumstances aligning so that you can save money and not have to spend it on much of anything. That may work for some, but if you're already an adult with a family and a mortgage and a car loan, it's completely useless advice, unless maybe you want to pack up your family and see if you can move back in with Mom and Dad :pb_rollseyes: Of course Steve doesn't acknowledge that what he says isn't realistic or even possible at all for some people, because he is the great Steve Maxwell and knows all.

I see no advice or strategy given in his post.  Just be a good christian and the sky daddy will provide gifts.  Such sage advice!  :2wankers:

I read the latest Maxhell post - where the heck did the "kids" get the money to pay for the fair? I know Sarah might have money from her books but what about Anna and Mary? And were the boys involved? Sounds like a very strange thing for Teri to brag about.

37 minutes ago, jegfile said:

I read the latest Maxhell post - where the heck did the "kids" get the money to pay for the fair? I know Sarah might have money from her books but what about Anna and Mary? And were the boys involved? Sounds like a very strange thing for Teri to brag about.

I've been trying to think of a polite, non-threatening, godly way to ask if/how the girls are employed, but I got nothin'.

1 hour ago, VooDooChild said:

I've been trying to think of a polite, non-threatening, godly way to ask if/how the girls are employed, but I got nothin'.

I think they might perhaps get paid for helping with the family business...though I wouldn't be certain since surely it's their duty as sahd's. Since they're under the protective umbrella of the headship they probably got the money from the bank of dad.

Yeah, the girls definitely get paid by Steve. I'm convinced that Anna does IT stuff for them, at the very least. They do a lot of the filling of job orders for Titus 2, and probably the bookkeeping for their brothers' ventures. 

I remember a reader asking for a Day in the Life type of post for the girls, and them say they'd see what they could do, but nothing has come of it. Seems like the type of thing they'd want to put out, if they are trying to "encourage parents". Of course, so would showing what the guys do for a living, but they don't do that, either. 

Goofy and Scary probably get an allowance from Coward since they are still "children" but Stud and Forgotten get a salary.

12 hours ago, Green Glass said:

Exactly! Steve's posts about debt-free houses or living or whatever are a bunch of waffling that don't actually SAY anything, because his advice doesn't apply to the average person. To buy a debt-free house the Steve Maxwell way means that you have to be a young man living with your parents, with little or no expenses, living in an area with low housing costs, and have a job, with all the circumstances aligning so that you can save money and not have to spend it on much of anything. That may work for some, but if you're already an adult with a family and a mortgage and a car loan, it's completely useless advice, unless maybe you want to pack up your family and see if you can move back in with Mom and Dad :pb_rollseyes: Of course Steve doesn't acknowledge that what he says isn't realistic or even possible at all for some people, because he is the great Steve Maxwell and knows all.

Well, if people lived like the Maxwells from the get-go, they wouldn't run into problems like that... :P

14 hours ago, VooDooChild said:

Sarah has her books. I can't imagine she earns enough to support herself on them, but considering all her expenses are covered by Stevehovah and Terifying I would assume she has some money, though I'm struggling to come up with something she'd spend it on, as all her activities seem to be with the entire family. Hopefully she's investing it for when her parents die and she and her sisters are left fending for themselves.

2 hours ago, alba said:

Sarah has her books. I can't imagine she earns enough to support herself on them, but considering all her expenses are covered by Stevehovah and Terifying I would assume she has some money, though I'm struggling to come up with something she'd spend it on, as all her activities seem to be with the entire family. Hopefully she's investing it for when her parents die and she and her sisters are left fending for themselves.

The sad thing is - I bet she's been saving up for her wedding/family home/babies since she was a teenager. Wouldn't even be surprised if she still is, because to stop doing it would mean she's given up.

18 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

I think they might perhaps get paid for helping with the family business...though I wouldn't be certain since surely it's their duty as sahd's. Since they're under the protective umbrella of the headship they probably got the money from the bank of dad.

I'm assuming this is the case.  I would think if they were exhorting others to be "godly" like they are, they would be a bit more detailed in their "discipleship".  Some might like examples.  <-------See what I did there? 

12 hours ago, nomoxian said:

Well, if people lived like the Maxwells from the get-go, they wouldn't run into problems like that... :P

But just who in their right minds would call that "living?"

11 hours ago, alba said:

Sarah has her books. I can't imagine she earns enough to support herself on them, but considering all her expenses are covered by Stevehovah and Terifying I would assume she has some money, though I'm struggling to come up with something she'd spend it on, as all her activities seem to be with the entire family.

She treats herself and her sisters to Starbucks once in awhile. . .

19 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

She treats herself and her sisters to Starbucks once in awhile. . .

Like I said before Poor and the reverdals probably get an allowance from Coward and the married sons get a salary.  Stud and Forgotten might get a salary but Coward holds most of it back till marriage

14 hours ago, alba said:

Dog food?

On 10/21/2016 at 1:49 PM, VooDooChild said:

I think it's wake up, do what one is told by an approved elder or male, follow the schedule otherwise, pray pray pray, and go to bed.

I hate how Griselda refers to the kidults as "our children".  Your youngest just got out of the teen years, Stud and Goofy are in their mid twenties and Poor is 34 Griselda!

17 hours ago, alba said:

Sarah probably could support herself with her writing if she did more to promote her books with her own blog, her own booth at homeschooling events, and her own alliances with key players in the Christian homeschooling movement. But she is limited to her family's ever-decreasing conferences.

Sarah probably could support herself with her writing if she did more to promote her books with her own blog, her own booth at homeschooling events, and her own alliances with key players in the Christian homeschooling movement. But she is limited to her family's ever-decreasing conferences.

Honestly, I doubt it. Making a full-time income off of writing is something few writers manage; it's a struggle even for those writing good books in popular genres, neither of which applies to Sarah.

Perhaps if she read more (IIRC Steve boasts his children write instead of reading), to get a better understanding of good craft, and perhaps took a creative writing course, she'd stand a chance.

That would require her/her parents to acknowledge they screwed up her education, though, so I don't see that happening.

On 10/22/2016 at 3:11 AM, jegfile said:

I thought bragging that their fully grown adult children could pull off the planning was a bit odd too. Isn't their whole shtick the fact that the are the most awesome planners ever? Every tiny variation from their usual PLAN is discussed for weeks before hand. Charts are drawn up, spreadsheets made, whiteboards, emails and schedules... Yet, somehow; by the grace of god, 5 adults somehow managed to buy, balloons, paint, tracts and a banner. Be still my heart, I am in awe. *blerg*  :my_rolleyes:

10 hours ago, alba said:

Perhaps if she read more (IIRC Steve boasts his children write instead of reading), to get a better understanding of good craft, and perhaps took a creative writing course, she'd stand a chance.

But then she might become read things that Stevehovah doesn't approve of (which means that Sarah would have a very large list of options to choose from).

10 hours ago, alba said:

As it stands, Sarah's literary efforts should turn into a fundie circle jerk soon.

The Vikings are getting their ass kicked so I checked the blog.  Happy 6th anniversary Prissy and Amish!  Poor is so grateful for you.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived